Riksen

SU tank

Don't use the periscope view with the numbered cross hairs. I thought that was the gun view. Use the other gun view. Don't forget, the gun doesn't traverse but it does have some range to move.

I noticed that the range can be entered to fire on a distant target, possibly with someone spotting for you either on the ground or by air.

3 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stele said:

Don't use the periscope view with the numbered cross hairs. I thought that was the gun view. Use the other gun view. Don't forget, the gun doesn't traverse but it does have some range to move.

I noticed that the range can be entered to fire on a distant target, possibly with someone spotting for you either on the ground or by air.

Still no luck. I've tried with both the Commander and the Gunner and the gun simply does not fire.

26 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Still no luck. I've tried with both the Commander and the Gunner and the gun simply does not fire.

I'll try again when I'm back, but did you try loading any ammo?

Make sure you are controlling the gun from the left hand seat, the first you toggle to from driver. Also, I believe you cannot fire with your head in the cupola, which is toggled from the open/close hatch key. 

4 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Anyone know how to fire the gun in this thing?

1. Start a mission with SU-122

2. Unpause the game by "P" key

3. Switch to gunner by "LeftCtrl+C" keys (once). Gunner seats left to the gun.

4. Turn on the gun control by "T" key

5. Switch to gunsight view by "LeftShift+T" keys

6. Aim your gun somewhere by mouse move. Shoot by left mouse button.

7. You can adjust the distance setting by RightAlt+Period and RightAlt+Semicolon keys.

• Like 1

It's a fun bit of kit once you learn how to use it.It will even the odds considerably on some of the MP servers that's for sure ...😁

I have done a practice round with the SU122 against a bunch of AI Tiger tanks - Couldn't damage them, neither with HE nor HEAT rounds even at point-blank range.

Shouldn't this work a little better?

Only chance I had was against the side armor, but that's what the T-34 can do, too...

Edited by airacobrafan

Yeah, I was trying to fire from the wrong position that is why. Thank you all!

1 hour ago, airacobrafan said:

I have done a practice round with the SU122 against a bunch of AI Tiger tanks - Couldn't damage them, neither with HE nor HEAT rounds even at point-blank range.

Shouldn't this work a little better?

Well the gun lacks the penetration to take out tigers frontally, the heat ammo too dont have enough pen to go through it. Need something like 152mm guns explsoive charge to take out tigers by the shock force alone. SU 122 is more mobile arty gun and not a tank killer really. That was the role of su 85 and su 100 and su 76.

HEAT should go through Tiger's armor without much trouble (120mm of penetration at all ranges). The HE could cause concussion to the crew inside and knock them out, with 3.7 Kg of explosive filler.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

Thing is: The Developer Diary specifically says that the Su-122's HEAT shell can penetrate 120mm of armor, allowing it to take out any German tank.

If this does not work now, there is something wrong here for sure.

HEAT shells have problems in TC in general. Try 75-mm and you will see it.. Useless ammo for now.. (imho)

Edited by Lofte

I need to correct myself after I got home and could check up on the SU-122 model from july 1943:
Heat could penetrate 106mm of armour at 0 degrees and 91 mm of armour when sloped at 30 degrees. But as the ammo type was invented for it in may 1943 they had severe quality problems and the penetration was often less and the HE ammo worked better and it was also rare ammo so HE ammo was the standard for kursk but became more common later and the quality issues solved. So yeah the HEAT should be able to pen most of the tigers front armor as long as the shell lands correctly and isnt at a bad angle.

HE ammo could knock out the tank by hitting the turret, some cases of it blowing the turret away with HE ammo, and many cases of it knocking out the crew in the front and the ones in the turret alive, or vice versa. Some hits have taken out whole crews. But I dont find any such cases for JS-2 tank which has same gun size but probably different ammo, but enough about that.

HE penetration anyways for those interested:
At 100 meters: 56mm if the armor isnt sloped, and 49mm at 30 degree sloped armour.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that to achieve an effective destruction of beasts such Tiger, the shot with HEAT must be done at long distance;  the projectile acquires a parabolic trajectory and reaches the tank from above,  where its armor it's thinner. Of course is necessary an eagle view,  steel hand and a lot of practice....😵

• Upvote 1