Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

Interesting news which as you can see appealed to me.

Ideally we need the B17 and Lancaster though otherwise something is amiss!

• Upvote 2

Hello,

I'm pretty stoked for this release (I will be purchasing it).  I understand the disappointment around the PTO, but I'd submit that work on the Normandy theatre will flesh out the USAAF plane set for future Pacific campaigns in New Guinea/the Solomans and such.  This frees up resources to focus on USN types once work actually starts on the pacific, while still populating careers there with historical USAAF types.  It will also help with a potential Italy theatre so that resources can focus on Italian aircraft and German bombers.  Also, If they do D-Day with this theatre, they will add many of the landing craft an ships needed for the Pacific.

About the Normandy release itself, I'd point out that no sim has had a proper Typhoon or Me410 since European Air War back in the day.  There were mods for IL-2 1946, but nothing like what these devs can deliver.   The Typhoon is criminally absent in all previous sims, given its historical significance.  The Ju88C was an important type in all ETO and Eastern Front theatres and will be a welcome addition to careers in any of those areas. The Me-410 is a really interesting aircraft with a lot of very intriguing features including remotely operated gun turrets (the technology of which will be useful for a lot of late-war German bombers such as the He177 and Ju388). It should also come with a Stuvi bomb-sight which should be available as an option on the Ju87D and Ju88A. The Me410 also had a long career and was present in the med and the East for future careers.  The Ar234 also has periscope-aimed guns (useful on the Do217E/K/M and Some He111Hs) and that fancy shallow-dive bombsight computer.  Plus, it has one of the coolest cockpits anywhere. 

With all the complaints I have seen, I'm most surprised that nobody is complaining about the lack of a 1943/44 Spitfire IXc, which would be very historical for this campaign (maybe it is saved for Italy?).  Also, I think that it would be nice to get a 1944 AI bomber for the Germans, opposite the B-25/B-26.  The Ju88S/T would probably be easiest to do but a Do217 K/M or Ju188A/E would also be much appreciated.  I agree that an A-20G is conspicuously absent as well (again maybe saved for Italy?). An A-26B would be nice as well.   We also need spotter planes for Tank Crew such as the Fi156C, Fw189A, L-4/L-5 and a British counterpart (not sure which one, Lysander maybe?). This is of course assuming we get a Tank Crew II in the West. 

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Edited by Fafnir_6
Added Ju188 as a possible 1944 AI German bomber, and note about landing craft/ships
  • Like 1

@pfranceswhy confused, only 214 were produced and the allies really need a transport plane. 

The Ar-234 was rarely used for it's intended roll. But it's a cool plane for being the world's first jet powerd bomber. 

Purchased!

There are lots of “what about this aircraft?”, but honestly it is a small team and any chance of other future scenarios depends on support. Buy this and the other possibilities might happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

Rheinland is all about villages, towns, cities and huge industrial areas as well.

And since a little more work will be spend on the map I don't expect any major changes to finally see the so characteristic NW Europe textures and to fly over many more populated areas.

After the release of the SchweineRheinland Rheinland map I've learned my lesson and no pre-order this time.

+1

• Upvote 3

Great news! really Looking forward to its release! I see some people on here are still  moaning about the pacific or whining as usual....so tiresome..am sure the devs have heard it all before. But please try and be positive for each and every offering we get. When creating il 2 battles, they have chosen to start in the European theatre of war and rightly so since that's were it all started in real life!        It would be crazy to leave these great battlegrounds unfinished just to jump into the pacific one.

Personally am looking forward to the new map and the new planes, so come on guys some awesome new toys coming along. .....Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI....Me-410......Ar-234 ......Spifire Mk.XIV ......P-51 B/C......P-47D “Razorback”.......Typhoon Mk.Ib...plus some great new Ai and even get to shoot at V-1 Buzz Bombs flying over the channel...

YES if we had a magic wand we would all love to be flying hellcats, F4U Corsairs and zeros landing on swaying carrier decks...but am also just as happy to be flying Mosquitos and 410's and appreciate all the hard work put in to these aircraft....so thanks to the developers and keep up the good work! 

Ultimately I have two wishes that go along with this update:

1- The allies need a flyable medium bomber. B-25 or B-26 need to be crewable. If not part of this update, then as collector's edition. C47 would be nice as well, but the lack of a western medium bomber is an issue.

2- I hope the P-47 receives some love as they do the razorback version. The DM in particular is extremely weak, the opposite of what it should be for this aircraft, especially the engine (which is significantly less robust than the merlins or allisons). Adding a 150 octane mod to both razorback and bubble canopy would also be helpful.

Otherwise, looking good!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, AKA_Big10 said:

@pfranceswhy confused, only 214 were produced and the allies really need a transport plane. 

The Ar-234 was rarely used for it's intended roll. But it's a cool plane for being the world's first jet powerd bomber. 

Couldn't comprehend why one would want a transport plane over the worlds first jet bomber in what is, at it's core, a combat simulator. If/when the C-47 comes up as a collector, I'll buy it just like I did the Ju-52 and like the Tante Ju, I'd likely never fly it.

The Arado, on the other hand, would get my money and my time 10 times more any day of the week.

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

G-10 doesn´t fit in the timeslot for Normandy. First G-10s were produced in 09/44 and reached frontline units in 10-11/44. G6/AS and G14/AS would fit nicely though.

G-5/6/14/AS is still missing though, especially from Bodenplatte (unless G6 late has an AS mod, which it should have, given it’s basically a rebranded G-14).

Otherwise, solid choices, we finally get the Tiffie, Me410, and some XIV fans can finally get it for a mere 80 buck paywall. It’s also a good base for a Tank Crew expansion, and perhaps one day we can see heavy bombers.. B17s, Lancs and Greiffs are all feasible on this map.

Ju 88C is the only one making me scratch my head, a Ju 188 would have been nicer and perhaps more fitting than a small Ju 88A mod. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Couldn't comprehend why one would want a transport plane over the worlds first jet bomber in what is, at it's core, a combat simulator. If/when the C-47 comes up as a collector, I'll buy it just like I did the Ju-52 and like the Tante Ju, I'd likely never fly it.

The Arado, on the other hand, would get my money and my time 10 times more any day of the week.

There's more than just me that would love a flyable C-47, just sayin.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Everyone who loves this company and series, please support this! Compared to a DCS module it is a total steal for the price.

Personally it would not have been my first choice, I admit, but given the amazing work that the team has produced I cannot help but order this.

Jason and the team, shine on you crazy diamonds!

Supported so far as you can see.

But if we buy everything this (very good) team offers to us just to support, there's no way we can influence further decisions as to the theaters and modules (GB/FC/TC).

This is the first time I won't buy a new module.
So far I've bought everything in RoF and GBs, but I won't anymore, sry... 

• Upvote 2

Me410 Hornisse 😄😄 I'm so excited about this one.

Great work team..

It all seems more of the same to me. Probably wait the 2 years or more until it's on sale. And only for the mosquito, which may be available in DCS before then, ha I know right.. Disappointed to say the least.

Edited by Rolling_Thunder

4 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Are you kidding me...with this engine forget about those.

Laughing in He-111. 😄

I wish I was happy about this.. i mean rhe B and C P51 and the razor back 47 are cool

But frankly not having planes that numbered tens of thousands in theater and where the exclusive reason for xertain planes development was said planes it becomes glaring. The further back from end of war the more noted the lack of 4 engines becomes.

I prefer the ETO to PTO normally - but if they arent going to do 4 engines I wish personally, theyd stay away frm western allies in europe.   Of xourse Id prefer 4 engined bombers.

However without that - PTO would be so much more suited IMO..

Plus its starting to become noticeable the Luftwaffe contents spread thin

• Confused 1

I should add - in case anyone hasn't - very cute and charming way of doing the announcement!

• Upvote 2

Dear Devs.

1]Let me first congratulate myself:  I really outdid myself.

2]Bodenplatte was a master stroke in strategy...a touch of genius. You changed my thinking completely. To top it off you created a great product and continue to do so right up till now, see latest game update.

3]If I look at the plane list of Normandy, the community inputs were well addressed.

4]This is a masterstroke again. I have no doubt that you will pull it off and much much more. Count me in as always....this one will be great and I am really looking forward to it. Super super excited. 

Edited by Luger1969

1 minute ago, Sublime said:

I wish I was happy about this.. i mean rhe B and C P51 and the razor back 47 are cool

But frankly not having planes that numbered tens of thousands in theater and where the exclusive reason for xertain planes development was said planes it becomes glaring. The further back from end of war the more noted the lack of 4 engines becomes.

Are you sure this is historically warranted?

Strategic bombing becomes obviously important later in the war... if we were modelling strategic bombing than night bombing based on historical importance - than would be of equal importance to day bombing... and it isn't like rhubarbs, tactical aviation, and interdiction missions by single/twin engined aircraft weren't important to the fighting in Normandy...

You have my money. Pre-Ordered BON.

Battle of Normandy is excellent news. I love that. But I want the cruisers, destroyers, barges, and this time we need the GI's on the ground. We have tanks and Planes etc. but you will have to give all of it.

I was for PTO but I know what it takes in terms of investment to address seriously that campaign.

You must make money by delivering the more form your present investment and the capital you have created in terms of planes, objects and maps. I have nothing against that and frankly the Battle of Normandy is excellent and major WWII theater. Flying from British airfields across the channel, that will be something. 

However it is a pity we do not have the B16, and we do not have the Hurricane. We have it I missed that Pre-Order announcement.

Edited by IckyATLAS

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Please can you model the 4000lb cookie for the Mosquito?

The Mk VI couldn't carry the Cookie. Part of the bomb bay was occupied by the 4x20mm Hispanos.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ami7b5 said:

Supported so far as you can see.

But if we buy everything this (very good) team offers to us just to support, there's no way we can influence further decisions as to the theaters and modules (GB/FC/TC).

This is the first time I won't buy a new module.
So far I've bought everything in RoF and GBs, but I won't anymore, sry... 

The problem is that a precedent has been set.

Bodenplatte was announced alongside Flying Circus Volume 1 and Tank Crew, and so now getting another WWII announcement without even a single line of news about those other two (BTW, we haven't forgotten about WWI and tanks) is a bit disheartening.

I can understand that people are upset that they are not getting PTO next, but please understand that for all we know, us WWI folks might not be getting Flying Circus Volume 2 at all. And as you can see from my badges, I think I've been quite supportive as well.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I should add - in case anyone hasn't - very cute and charming way of doing the announcement!

If they had used the Morse code for V (Beethoven's Fifth, the movie The Longest Day) that would have been a dead giveaway. 

I like the next Battle of Normandy, Looking Forward to the map area and all the upcoming planes, great to get a Mosquito. I am very happy that you will bring the P-47 RAZORBACK, I love that one more than the bubble top Version.

I did preorder the Yak-9, 9T and the Hurricane and the next Battle to support the best Dev team of the world.

Edited by spitfirejoe

7 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Bodenplatte was announced alongside Flying Circus Volume 1 and Tank Crew, and so now getting another WWII announcement without even a single line of news about those other two (BTW, we haven't forgotten about WWI and tanks) is a bit disheartening.

I can understand that people are upset that they are not getting PTO next, but please understand that for all we know, us WWI folks might not be getting Flying Circus Volume 2 at all. And as you can see from my badges, I think I've been quite supportive as well.

I doubt that anything will be said regarding any Flying Circus expansion until such time as those making the decision are a better position to assess potential sales. Which will only be possible subsequent to the FC release on Steam. Have patience.

Edited by AndyJWest

Very nice with the Arado 234, like with the 262 we properly won't be able to fly it online, as the mission builders will be affried to include it. 

• Haha 2

This team has my lifetime support. But I see that the troubled times seem to not be over for them. I wish them all the best and that all current titles sold will increase in numbers even more, so that we may see more of what we love.

I always wanted Pacific as my No. 1 - It's not coming now and I don't know if the team can make it in the future, which makes me a bit sad but I am of full confidence that this team did make it's best choice.

5 minutes ago, Jonesy666 said:

Just out of curiosity, how big is the dev team

However big  - be nice if 1C would spring for a few more....

2 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

We got the contact altimeter working, the automatic dive recovery system is implemented.

We are getting drop tanks.

Other features, huge and small are coming too.

Those are fresh gameplay elements for me.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

I understand. And I honestly envy everyone who's exited about the announcement.

I officially and vehemently protest that the V1 is only AI 😁😁
Edited by Arsenal53
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender said:

As i remember it Bodenplatte had been announced some 6 months (summer 2017, right after I graduated college and started working, it was the first I bought myself rather than asking for it as a Christmas gift) before tank crew and Flying Circus, which were both around Christmas time or even later. 

1 minute ago, AndyJWest said:

I doubt that anything will be said regarding any Flying Circus expansion until such time as those making the decision are a better position to assess potential sales. Which will only be possible subsequent to the FC release on Steam. Have patience.

Patience is all we have, really, and I don't want to sound ungrateful as I never even thought Volume 1 would happen.

However, the FC multiplayer community is relatively active at the moment (especially on weekends) thanks to the efforts of a few very dedicated squadrons and mission builders. It would be a shame if the current movement ran out of steam because of Steam.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, J5_Hellbender said:

It is simple really - it is too early at this point in time to determine if either of these ventures is profitable enough to continue either volume - if they are going to generate net loses, they will be cut. Or look at it this way, they are not announcing that either is scrapped yet either. Just wait and see as both seem to be on the bubble, sort-of-speak. Patience and Jason will let you know - probably not till into the new year.

52 minutes ago, Fafnir_6 said:

With all the complaints I have seen, I'm most surprised that nobody is complaining about the lack of a 1943/44 Spitfire IXc, which would be very historical for this campaign (maybe it is saved for Italy?).

I would not be surprised if this were on the to do’ list