Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

10 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

the razor back Mustang

Yup...!

P-51.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Put a navigator's position in the Mosquito and that's what you've got.

They don't exist in the A-20C so I see no reason they would add it to the Mossie.

Edited by -RR-Napoleon-
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Put a navigator's position in the Mosquito and that's what you've got.

And it's almost entirely useless, as is the multicrew option in most aircraft.

I'll consider it functional when the co-pilot / navigator can use map tools in-game to properly plot courses and use the bombsight independent of the pilot himself.

Edited by Leifr
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

The real question is.

Bf 109 G6 Late = Bf 109G6(with stuff like Erla Canopy and/or MW50) or Bf 109G6/AS?

I'm interested to know this too

48 minutes ago, =BTAP=Hail_the_Snail said:

How Long Does it USUALLY take for titles to go from Pre-Order to Early Access?

At least 3 months from pre-order to early access. Maybe the last releases are some indication for you:

BoK Pre-Order September 15, 2016
BoK Early Access December 20, 2016

BoBP Pre-Order November 17, 2017
BoBP Early Access May 24, 2018

I am very much looking forward to the new "Battle of Normandy" and the Arado-234, which other fighter-bomber pilots in my Luftflotte are anxious to get their hands on.

That being said, will the developers ever consider implementing "what if" AI.  For example, in the "Battle of Normandy", had Rommel moved his two tank divisions towards the coastal areas, there would have been considerable difficulty for the Allies to make the headway they did.  Of course, adding such considerations means that others will suffer but it would be interesting to see if we could have some type of implementation that would allow either side to build up Research & Development Resources based upon their success or failures in their missions...

Mixed feelings personally, I really wanted Italy to be next, and I think having Normandy right after Bodenplatte gives an unfortunate "just more of the same"-feel for both the map and the planes that could've been avoided by having something else in-between.

Still, I love the addition of Tiffy and Mossie so there's that.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

The real question is.

Bf 109 G6 Late = Bf 109G6(with stuff like Erla Canopy and/or MW50) or Bf 109G6/AS?

G6/AS - G14/AS would make more sense. G14/AS production started 2/44 and would fit perfectly both in BoN and BoBP.

Spitfire Mk.XIV, great, now we will black out even faster. Hell, probably just black out starting the engine. 

• Haha 1

¡Awesome! 🤘🤩🤘 , if the new map were developed first, users of BOBP would have a lot of fun! ☺️

1 minute ago, sevenless said:

At least 3 months from pre-order to early access. Maybe the last releases are some indication for you:

BoK Pre-Order September 15, 2016
BoK Early Access December 20, 2016

BoBP Pre-Order November 17, 2017
BoBP Early Access May 24, 2018

With the basic types already in place I am hoping we can see the some of the variants earlier.  With a bit of luck the P51b, P47c, FW190 A6, Me109 G6,  Spitfire XIV, hopefully the Typhoon and Ju88C will all benefit from existing work.  That leaves the Mosquito and 410 as entirely new types.  That is a big difference from BoBP where the P47, P38, P51, FW190D, and Me262 were all very new types.

Incredible news! Definetly unexpected, planeset looks great!! Pre-ordered everything. :) :salute:

• Thanks 1

Not something I'll jump onto right now due to Real Life (TM) reasons but it seems like a good plan to take BoX to Normandy. 

For folks disappointed about it not being the Battle of the Pacific, I'm thinking there are sound reasons for this. Most likely the source materials are not (yet) available so making a product of acceptable value is not possible, but the developers need to keep the lights on and therefore must produce something. So this seems to me a good way of buying time and financial resources that will hopefully go to build out the theatres we all want. In time. 

Cracking work @Jason_Williams and the team, keep it up!

Couldn’t care for the Pacific theatre ... crikey it’s been done in the past so many times but this next venture is a truly fantastic direction and compliments the previous release so well, and with a little imagination from

previous aircraft, Battle of Britain in VR can now be a reality  ... but the C-47 (clearly the most iconic aircraft of the Normandy invasions) simply HAS to be playable and the map needs a western ‘grey’ to the skies and the English landscape littered with a patchwork-blanket of hedgerow-bordered small fields. It’s an expensive buy so it must be done right but I’ve every confidence that this team ‘will’ pull it off

Edited by GSHWK_Houndstone_Hawk
  • Like 1

Stonking! Really exciting stuff.

Any chance you can move the map a bit west so I can fly over my house? 😉

Will buy all of it.

Cheers,

Nick

Stoked on all the twin engines craft.

i was kinda bummed we’d probably be going to the pacific (ik I’m probably the only one) because flying over water and imo the most lopsided plane set seemed kinda boring but this is awesome. 

Wonder how crazy the 410s gunner will be

Edited by Hajo_Garlic

3 minutes ago, Cleverviking said:

Mixed feelings personally, I really wanted Italy to be next,

Agreed. I was hoping for a late war Italy as many of these planes saw service there which would fill in the missing Allied planes gap in Bodenplatte. Like Bodenplatte, Italy hasn't been done before/in a long time. I'm curious as to how IL-2: Battle of Normandy will affect everything in the IL-2 series.

3 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

That leaves the Mosquito and 410

Don't forget the Arado 234. I'm curious as to what planes in the BON plane set will be released first? perhaps the Typhoon or the Bf-109G-6 or Fw-190A-6. I really hope that they don't quit on the Mosquito.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

With the basic types already in place I am hoping we can see the some of the variants earlier.  With a bit of luck the P51b, P47c, FW190 A6, Me109 G6,  Spitfire XIV, hopefully the Typhoon and Ju88C will all benefit from existing work.  That leaves the Mosquito and 410 as entirely new types.  That is a big difference from BoBP where the P47, P38, P51, FW190D, and Me262 were all very new types.

Keep your fingers crossed. I wouldn´t mind to have an early look at a Tiffy or Spit XIV before easter 2020.

I think all things considered this is a very good decision to build a battle using this map. All those wanting 'anything but the Eastern Front' can be content, whilst those who wanted the individual battles already present to be further joined up can also be happy. I for one think it's a great idea. Not only is it a hugely important battle in it's own right, it links nicely with the Battle of Bodenplatte. It also creates a lot of opportunities to use the map for other battles, the Battle of France, Battle of Britain, the Channel melees of 41/42/43 can all be incorporated into the map.

I can see some great additions to PWCG in the near future 😀 perhaps with a Luftwaffe campaign from the Battle of France, Battle of Britain, Channel melees of 41 and then into Moscow, Stalingrad, Kuban and then back to Normandy and finally (for now) Bodenplatte.

I like the sound of that one 😎

Please can you model the 4000lb cookie for the Mosquito?

"

The Safety height above ground for dropping the "cookie" was 1,800 m (6,000 ft); any lower and the dropping aircraft risked being damaged by the explosion's atmospheric shock wave:

"

lol

One shot ace in a flight

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AKA_Big10 said:

Spitfire Mk.XIV, great, now we will black out even faster. Hell, probably just black out starting the engine.

You will black out as early as you strap it on. 😁

2 hours ago, Sturmnoob said:

Y E S !

NO. Just look at taw, when target range is longer than 80-100km, few people will attack it, even they start to quit.

Meh.

Basically we have a plane pack to flesh out late war models (fine), and added to it a mini campaign (3 months) with the exclamation of a huge (unnecessary) map size being cleverly marketed to inflate the size of the project so they can keep/justify the £60 price tag.

Absolutely not worth it this time. If it was ~25-30 then fine. Very disappointed in this deceptive behaviour, but at least they have the spit as one of the collectors.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

After looking again at the map size, I'm really hoping we are not ending up with another map of Great Emptiness. I would rather have a smaller map, if it means you are able to fill it with villages. After all, Normandy is all about them.

Rheinland is all about villages, towns, cities and huge industrial areas as well.

And since a little more work will be spend on the map I don't expect any major changes to finally see the so characteristic NW Europe textures and to fly over many more populated areas.

After the release of the SchweineRheinland Rheinland map I've learned my lesson and no pre-order this time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

One doubt about Steam version.  Is it possible to buy it or another battle as stand alone product? ?? Or stand alone versions are only available on IL2 website???

I really loved the plane set and map choice! ! Congratulations! ! Buying it when getting home. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

I’m feeling a Mosquito scripted campaign coming on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 9

Even i had a small hope of  map with some parts of Finland and Leningrad area, i still love Normandy scenarios. Map looks huge.

And also Hurricane is soo nice. It is my favorite WW2 plane  with ME 109.

I personally always liked Eastern front more. There were some nice USSR planes and also Finnish Airforce did have some cool planes. IL2 1946 style small maps would be great too some day.

Plus early war planes too for eastern front

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Keep your fingers crossed. I wouldn´t mind to have an early look at a Tiffy or Spit XIV before easter 2020.

lol - damn, that is optimistic!  It will be some number of months.  For BoBP I think it was still several months before we saw the 190 A8 and others.

8 minutes ago, eRoN said:

Meh.

Basically we have a plane pack to flesh out late war models (fine), and added to it a mini campaign (3 months) with the exclamation of a huge (unnecessary) map size being cleverly marketed to inflate the size of the project so they can keep/justify the £60 price tag.

Absolutely not worth it this time. If it was ~25-30 then fine. Very disappointed in this deceptive behaviour, but at least they have the spit as one of the collectors.

Let's imagine this were just a plane pack, if it were, at their current pricing scheme, this would cost $200. So what you on about?

8 minutes ago, =GW=seaflanker819 said:

NO. Just look at taw, when target range is longer than 80-100km, few people will attack it, even they start to quit.

Thats up to the mission maker, he can make the target 100km away or 1km away, a larger map means more options for mission makers and more possible scenarios 

Well, my wife was asking what I wanted for Christmas. May not be what she wanted me. To get for Christmas though 😅 😅

Edited by Voyager

2 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

lol - damn, that is optimistic!  It will be some number of months.  For BoBP I think it was still several months before we saw the 190 A8 and others.

Spit IX and G14 were first 8 weeks after they finalized BoK. They were pretty quick with those two. Could happen with the "late" G6 also, depending if they go for a G6 or a G6/AS.

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Normandy product is our usual product super-sized in some ways and needs a larger budget and possibly time to build. We will continue to improve BOBP for a little while more. Been a very difficult 6 months for us. I can't make everything I want and make everyone I am answerable to (customers, 1C, team) satisfied. I work in a minefield and every new project we get approved is a blessing. We will soldier on and continue to improve our products and line-up so we can continue to have a future. 

Thanks for telling us.

I have seen an improvement in the steam reviews of the game, and I think is because of they way of communicatting with people lately, with more transparency, since the game is good and clearly deserves more score than what it actually has.

Edited by =SFF=_cercataa

51 minutes ago, Leifr said:

And it's almost entirely useless, as is the multicrew option in most aircraft.

I'll consider it functional when the co-pilot / navigator can use map tools in-game to properly plot courses and use the bombsight independent of the pilot himself.

precisely

I’m not preordering unless there is at the very least news of Flying Circus.

• Upvote 4

Everyone who loves this company and series, please support this! Compared to a DCS module it is a total steal for the price.

Personally it would not have been my first choice, I admit, but given the amazing work that the team has produced I cannot help but order this.

Jason and the team, shine on you crazy diamonds!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm REALLY praying that we are able to get the C-47 as a playable aircraft rather than just an AI. The Allies really need a transport and the C-47 is so iconic for so many reasons. It also fits in the Eastern Front maps as many C-47's were lend-leased to the Soviet Union. It would go a long way to making the online dynamic missions even better if the Allies could have their own transport aircraft that could deliver supplies or conduct airborne landings.

• Upvote 8

Just a quick one if you don’t mind:

THAT IS ENORMOUS AND COOL!!!!!

But:

- WHEN??? ETA?

- I can’t see Paris on the map and it is finishing a few miles off my birth land east of Valenciennes... so sad...