Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

Me-410

HOLY **** FINALLY

I have to admit I got wet...:blush:

Thanks devs, you just earned my 70 bucks (or whatever you decide to make it cost, I will buy it for sure anyways lol)

Edit: I just realized it costs 80... 

Well, credit card, time to suffer!

Edited by ME-BFMasserME262
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

YES! This was my prediction, Normandy is usable for so many years I was pretty sure Dev's see the logic in this. Good job!

• Like 1

The devs have adressed almost everything I wanted with the previous updates. 

Now I'm only waiting for a hyperlobby style MP environment and a better career mode that brings more variety and more believable KIA results (including tools for mission planning).

Will buy just to keep the boat floating  towards PTO :)

+ Razorback

+ Mosquito

+ big and nice map (but when I get used to MSF2020 next year I expect all the Il2 maps to get merged together at some point with a new and revolutionary engine ;) )

+ Me-410
+ Ar-234

+ drop tanks

+ new (hyper???)lobby

- no heavy bombers

- not PTO

- not Italy

- not Malta

Great to see that it goes forward though! The best of luck and thanks for all the content produced - to another 10 years!

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, YuriAzrel said:

Guys. Wait. I actually just noticed: Normandy is 10$ more expensive than Bodenplatte. And what do we get?

- Mostly rehashed planes

- AI planes

- An AI flying bomb

What's the justification for this price hike?

Inflation?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SCG_Roman6Alpha said:

My point exactly.

Spoiler

Perhaps it's a bigger map with more stuff in it? Perhaps they have new features given the inclusion of the Arado and the Ju-88C-6?

^^ speculations 

2 minutes ago, Sharpe43 said:

Nope! 322 Dutch Spitfire squadron was one of the Mk 14 equipped fighter squadrons that shot down Doodlebugs..

Aha! I see your point - thanks :good:.

2 minutes ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

[...]

I expect all the Il2 maps to get merged together

[...]

precisely what I thought, I hope this comes at some point

• Upvote 1

Well, because there has to be some continuation to let the devs makes the money, I think the Normandy is the best choice I can imagine.

I do not want to be negative here, but to tell the truth I am hesitant to pre-order the new title. All aircrafts in the sim are excellent now (though some of them deserves more or less DM improvements) but I am not very satisfied with the current performance of the sim even on the hi-end PCs) and I am also not very satisfied with the current appearance of the Rheinland map (though I hope it will be improved by the time).

So I primarilly hope for some rendering engine tweaking to run the sim more smoothly in SP and MP and some Rheinland map refinement to the standard of the previous maps. Then for me would be the time to consider preordering new title...

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, YuriAzrel said:

Intense disappointment. There goes the hope for pacific 😥

100% Same here. But hey, you cant have it all.

31 minutes ago, Mewt said:

My head understands why they would make BoN and I'll certainly get it.

But my heart wants the Pacific.

Agree! But how many versions of the Normandy theater did we had over the last 25 years of PC flight siming, or PC gaming et all ? 10..20..30..even more? Sorry but it´s hard for me to understand the Dev´s. decision in this point. It´s like combat flight siming´s groundhogs day. 😥

At this point, i kind of question whether bigger maps are worth it. You guys really like bigger maps, meaning spending >30mins flying from your airfield to the target? With a career mode where you do the same mission 3 times in a row, attacking the same thing at the same place?

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 2

I‘m so happy right now. Finally I can fly the Me 410!!!

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, 76IAP-Black said:

BON and BOBO is the best western combo i have ever seen in any flight sim!!! 

Yes absolutely. Additionally this also opens up the possibility to recreate the 1941-1943 timeframe. Excellent theatre choice by 1CGS.

• Upvote 5

Thank God for no interest if paid in 6 months credit!  

• Haha 1

Great!!

I only wish I could figure out how to use the maps I bought.

The mix of steam versus direct is completely confusing me.

I bought modules like Kuban that I have never been able to use except going to other people's servers.

I'm afraid I'll skip further purchases till I can figure out how to actually use what I paid for... 

Uuh yeah, guys, that's awesome. I'd wish there'd be eventually an Allied bomber to fly too. If they can bring that, I do not care how many "recycled" aircrafts we'll get.

Really looking forward to the FW190 A-6 as well. It had 4 MG151/20 and was the most flexible Anton.. 🤩

• Fw 190 A-6/R1: Jäger with two gunpods WB 151 with each 2 × 20-mm-MG 151/20 (125 rounds per weapon, already in-game for A-5)
  • Fw 190 A-6/R2: Jäger with two internal 30-mm-MK 108 in the outer wings (already in-game for A-8)
  • Fw 190 A-6/R3: Jäger with two external 30-mm-MK 103 in gunpods (gun characteristics already in-game - the most exciting part of the A-6, the tank buster FW!!!!)
  • Fw 190 A-6/R4: Prototype for BMW 801 TS (2000PS take-off power with MW-50, not really needed, only prototype)
  • Fw 190 A-6/R6: Jäger with two Werfergranaten WGr. 21 which werf Granaten (already in-game)
  • Fw 190 A-6/R11: Nightjäger with FuG 217 (radar "Neptun" to find other aircrafts,..would one module in cockpit for multiple planes: 190, 262, Ju-88, interesting but maybe not necessary)

Will the Bf-109 G-6 "Late" have 30-mm-MK 108 gunpods available? 🤩

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, YuriAzrel said:

You guys really like bigger maps, meaning spending >30mins flying from your airfield to the target?

Y E S !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

22 minutes ago, No.322_Red_Cat said:

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised...

capable of carrying single 250-or-500-pound (110 or 230 kg) bombs on racks housed in streamlined fairings under each wing, or up to eight RP-3 25lb or 60 lb rockets. In addition fuel lines were added to the wings to enable single 50 imp gal (230 l) or 100 imp gal (450 l) drop tanks to be carried under each wing.[138][174] The usual fixed armament was four 20 mm Hispano Mk.II cannon and four .303 (7.7 mm) Browning machine guns, while two 250-or-500-pound (110 or 230 kg) bombs could be carried in the bomb bay.[nb 22]

And it will not be that hard with the Mk.VI finished to mod a Mk.XVI out of it.

• Upvote 1

Fantastic choice of theater. I am looking forward to flying Typhoon so much. Thank you Jason and team, you are doing the best job, development, updates, news and everything done by your team is the best I've ever seen in any game development. I am sure that Battle of Normandy will be highly successful, wish you the best.

• Upvote 1

Well if it couldn’t be PTO, this was the best move. I can get behind this.

The Mosquito...P-51B...Falaise Gap...good stuff. :)

This opens the door for quite a few things from a campaign standpoint.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

What a disappointment, I believed in the PTO...

But I understand the choice of Normandie too.

13 minutes ago, YuriAzrel said:

Guys. Wait. I actually just noticed: Normandy is 10$ more expensive than Bodenplatte. And what do we get?

- Mostly rehashed planes

- AI planes

- An AI flying bomb

What's the justification for this price hike?

+1

The plane set don't make me dream that much. Not flyable B-26 disappoint me as per B-25 of Boddenplate...

And that price...XD

My whining is over, out !

This is fantastic news. I understand the excitement for the Pacific, but leaving Western Europe after one installment would have been a shame. As Shamrock said, this map will link wonderfully to BoBP. A Mossie and Typhoon and Me-410 will make fantastic tactical bombing platforms. American Razorbacks are a huge wish granted as well. And given that I seem to always go back to LW birds over time, the late G6 and A6 will be great and ensure that scenarios can remain historical. I’m excited to fly Western Europe online where every fighter isn’t boosted into oblivion (150 octane, K4, etc.). 

@Jason_Williams, God bless you and your team for the passion you bring to projects like this, and don’t let the (somewhat understandably) disappointed pilots ruin the enthusiasm for this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

Now that Im thinking about it calm, after the excitement about the 410, I have to agree with those who are complaining. 

While Im excited, Im a little bit disappointed tbh. I would prefer, like someone said, Italy, or maybe Spanish Civil War.

Also, the fact that they will give us the Mosquito (I dont care about it, but lots of people really wanted that plane), makes me say thanks, but at the same time, the fact that they still dont include allied bombers, while many people want them... I personally don't mind allied bombing, or bombing at all, but many users do.

0d05d636a78647fe0f1541427d327f88.png.7c40503ec03af75124fd7850270842c1.png

Don't know if this has already been asked but, is there any chance of the C-47 and B-26 being made flyable in the future?  Ju-52 still needs a C-47/Li-2 variant to balance out mission options IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

My hope is like the B-25..the B-26 can eventually become a collector plane

• Upvote 3

Lovely plane set, only I miss the heavy bombers which played a huge role in Normandy. 

Just now, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Now that Im thinking about it calm, after the excitement about the 410, I have to agree with those who are complaining. 

While Im excited, Im a little bit disappointed tbh. I would prefer, like someone said, Italy, or maybe Spanish Civil War.

Also, the fact that they will give us the Mosquito (I dont care about it, but lots of people really wanted that plane), makes me say thanks, but at the same time, the fact that they still dont include allied bombers, while many people want them... I personally don't mind allied bombing, or bombing at all, but many users do.

0d05d636a78647fe0f1541427d327f88.png.7c40503ec03af75124fd7850270842c1.png

Heavy bomber are not in the cards with this game engine in it's current form. Many of us want them desperately. Some of us understand why we can't just yet.

I was desperately hoping for Italy or anything in the Med actually but this, this makes me happy . . . .Me-410 squeeeeeeee

15 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Normandy product is our usual product super-sized in some ways and needs a larger budget and possibly time to build. We will continue to improve BOBP for a little while more. Been a very difficult 6 months for us. I can't make everything I want and make everyone I am answerable to (customers, 1C, team) satisfied. I work in a minefield and every new project we get approved is a blessing. We will soldier on and continue to improve our products and line-up so we can continue to have a future. 

Jason 

Wonder how many of the complainers here have ever had to make a payroll?

Easy to complain, difficult to produce in an environment where nothing is ever "good enough" for a very small market of potential customers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 14

6 minutes ago, Pre said:

This is fantastic news. I understand the excitement for the Pacific, but leaving Western Europe after one installment would have been a shame. As Shamrock said, this map will link wonderfully to BoBP. A Mossie and Typhoon and Me-410 will make fantastic tactical bombing platforms. American Razorbacks are a huge wish granted as well. And given that I seem to always go back to LW birds over time, the late G6 and A6 will be great and ensure that scenarios can remain historical. I’m excited to fly Western Europe online where every fighter isn’t boosted into oblivion (150 octane, K4, etc.). 

@Jason_Williams, God bless you and your team for the passion you bring to projects like this, and don’t let the (somewhat understandably) disappointed pilots ruin the enthusiasm for this. 

Well there will still be 150 octane use as that was already standard for the 8th airforce by the time of D-Day.

If anything it will have more 150 octane use seeing as it was used by Units based in the UK by not by units based on the continent post D-Day

(So US and British Units stationed on the Bodenplatte map should primarily have 100/130 octane as only aircraft based in the UK used 150 octane at that time)

Edited by mattebubben

I think some people got carried away with the hype for the Pacific, and today is their hangover ;)

Edited by GreenSound
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Great news, can’t wait.

I’m most excited for the Razorback, I’ve always loved the way it looks.

Please do the P-47D-22 for the Razorback block, it’s the pinnacle of the Razorbacks and goes along perfectly with Bodenplatte.

It will also remain competitive for Bodenplatte if it has 150 fuel as a modification.

I’ll take any Razorback but I’ll be a little disappointed if it’s not a D-22, it’s my all time favorite P-47 block.

Normandy is a great choice Devs, ties perfectly with Bodenplatte.

Flyable B-26 would be sweet as well.

• Like 2

This is a great choice of theatre. Reusable map for other time frames, and very exciting in terms of plane set!
Also looking forward to trying the Hurricane and Yak-9 variants.

...not so much looking forward to living under a bridge this Christmas though.
Maybe I'll make rent if I go back on the old "flies in the window sill"-diet.
Damn you IL-2, and your glorious content...