Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

4 minutes ago, Elem said:

I object to that! My Father built aircraft during WWII.¬†ūüėČ

my grandad built lawnmowers.....

didnt realise lawnmowers could be so emotive

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BOO said:

didnt realise lawnmowers could be so emotive

You should hear people talk about chainsaws.

Oy vey! :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Wingleader425 said:

I have a very close family friend who just finished interviewing a RCAF Pilot Harry Hardy who flew a Typhoon for the 2nd TAF. 
This is his plane here with the iconic Pulverizer IV nose art.

image.png.90fe0a8891fe56018c93171cf4f68e25.png

It would be amazing if we could get that skin in game, he is still quite spry and very involved in telling his story.

I am sure he would be very interested in giving the game a try to fly his old bird. 

Here is the link to the interview for those interested.

http://activehistory.ca/2019/05/the-ghosts-of-the-tiffy-boys/

Along with and archive of RCAF Typhoon pilots stories.

http://www.thetyphoonproject.org/navigation.html 

I've been collecting photos and artwork of 143 Wing Typhoons for years now. I hope to skin as many as I can once the plane and template are out.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Megalax said:

I've been collecting photos and artwork of 143 Wing Typhoons for years now. I hope to skin as many as I can once the plane and template are out.

That would be awesome, if its all skinned up once the plane comes out i will make sure to send it out and hopefully Harry will get to see his Tiffy!

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Stay away from the politics of the war please. 

This, otherwise it will get one of these endless discussions, which lead nowhere anyway.

16 minutes ago, Wingleader425 said:

That would be awesome, if its all skinned up once the plane comes out i will make sure to send it out and hopefully Harry will get to see his Tiffy!

I skinned it for Il2 1946 mods years ago. Can't wait to see the upgrade that BON will bring to it.

704_pulv.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Although I could well be reading too much into it, Jason's request for info on the MkXIV's tail wheel assembly suggests that the XIV could be one of the first of the BoN aircraft to arrive. I hope it is!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

We already have torpedo boats that came with Kuban.

Excellent. You only need to increase customer awareness then. Which career units fly missions against them?

1 minute ago, sevenless said:

Excellent. You only need to increase customer awareness then. Which career units fly missions against them?

You fly against them in my Havoc campaign for one.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sevenless said:

Das hat man hier gesehen (‎‎https://www.militaria-history.co.uk‎‎). Wäre cool, sowohl "Schnellboote" als auch einen Beaufighter zu bekommen. ‎

schnellboote.jpg

Yes!! but a better S-boat model than we have and the Beaufighter is a must in the Channel :biggrin:

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

We already have torpedo boats that came with Kuban.

Although we have a model of the S38ger type but that is the least implemented model in the game.

Would be nice to have torpedo tech on a planes!

Was there any usage of them in BoN/Bok and on what planes?

46 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Unfortunately naval units especially are not currently used in the career mode, which I wish would be changed. I'd love to see convoys or patrol boats in Kuban, or the Barges on the Volga. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I have that campaign. It's the only one I fly. :cool:

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Ahh, looking forward to that also being implemented in the career.

5 minutes ago, migmadmarine said:

Unfortunately naval units especially are not currently used in the career mode, which I wish would be changed. I'd love to see convoys or patrol boats in Kuban, or the Barges on the Volga. 

That is really unfortunate. Could add another dimension to the singleplayer. If it is only used in canned campaigns it doesn¬īt help to spread the word.

• Upvote 1

Not to engage in a political debate (I won't), but it's possible to appreciate the technological advancements of planes and tanks from various countries and to play a combat simulator with them while also removing one's self from the realities of history, war, and politics. We do the same when playing WWII FPS or strategy games. I can love a Yak, Spit, Mustang, or FW-190 without supporting the actions of the countries they came from. But to each their own.

Back to the topic, can't wait for BoN and all it will open up for this series!

Edited by blah
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, IV./JG51-Anton_Hafner said:

Well, to be fair the topic is the BON announcement. Discussion relating to the geopolitics and general  history  of the war should be in a different venue. 

I agree with you and Jason on that one as those discussions can get out of hand very quickly which is why we try and avoid them.;)

That said, sadly we are reenacting WWI and WWII in our game, one of the most appalling human experiences ever, even in F.P.S. we cannot avoid being one side or the other and our love of the history of aviation means we are all fully aware of the politics of those times, if not we should be.

Anyway, back on track, I look forward to this venture, as do most who have posted it seems thankfully, hopefully this theater will bring forth many more.:drinks:

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:58 PM, namhee2 said:

I hope that the developers will manage the Bocage close to the reality. Will not be easy.

Bocage_country_at_Cotentin_Peninsula1-1024x745.jpg

bocage_normand-1.jpg

My VR FPS are going to be [edited] if that happens...

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Language

The second pic really looks like DCS Normandy screenshot in monochrome - even the foliage aliasing is there!:)

10 hours ago, Trog1odyte said:

You actually fly digital models.

If one is concerned that they could have been built¬†by commies or nazis an inquiry should be sent to 1C¬†ūüėĀ

Lol yea, that was exactly my point! It's possible to appreciate simulated models while removing yourself from history and politics. Operating a plane or tank from a certain country in a simulator doesn't mean I support the country (or their actions) that made them 70-80 years ago. It means I appreciate the machines and I like learning about them in a simulator.

But again, to each their own. If someone doesn't want to fly planes from a certain country, more power to them, but they're missing out on awesome machines.

Edited by blah
  • Upvote 1

Bf 110 and Me 410 are my dream aircrafts.

When Moscow was released i was so happy and the "missing" need fullfilled.

When Kuban was going to happen and i saw info of 110 G2 i pre ordered straight away full of enjoyment.

Then Me 410 i always felt like its the last form of 110 the final and best of the best technological marvel.

Everything that 110 still lacks 410 has it all.

I was pretty sure Me 410 was too mutch to ask and more than happy with 110 E2 & G2.

But now Me 410 is really coming im 100% certain that i will buy it from Steam when its released.

I can say my Hype level is over 9000.

Normandy plane set is just perfect for heavy fighter nut like me.

Cant wait to see pictures/videos about Me 410 or Ju 88 C-6a.

Edited by Godspeed
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Cut the politics for heavens sake , what's the matter with you all!! I play this sim because i'm mad about aircraft , I have been since I can first remember.

All pilots, all aircraft especially from the war era and i play this sim because it's the nearest by far to actually being there. End of story! 

• Upvote 6

On 12/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, Godspeed said:

Bf 110 and Me 410 are my dream aircrafts.

When Moscow was released i was so happy and the "missing" need fullfilled.

When Kuban was going to happen and i saw info of 110 G2 i pre ordered straight away full of enjoyment.

Then Me 410 i always felt like its the last form of 110 the final and best of the best technological marvel.

Everything that 110 still lacks 410 has it all.

I was pretty sure Me 410 was too mutch to ask and more than happy with 110 E2 & G2.

But now Me 410 is really coming im 100% certain that i will buy it from Steam when its released.

I can say my Hype level is over 9000.

Normandy plane set is just perfect for heavy fighter nut like me.

Cant wait to see pictures/videos about Me 410 or Ju 88 C-6a.

I agree 100%. 

Before the Normandy announcement, my TOP choices for collector's planes (or any plane for that matter) to be released, were Me 410, and Mosquito.  I was shocked when I saw the announcement.

I know they can't/won't do this because if someone bought ONLY Normandy or whatever campaign, they wouldn't have any fighters, but personally, I would absolutely love it if they came out with a campaign with nothing but ground attack/bombers.  Imagine a new release with TEN bombers and ground attack planes- amazing!   Beaufighter, Firefly, Firebrand, Blenheim, Hornet, A-26, A-36, PBJ-1, AM-1, AD-2, AD-4, P-61, Tu-2, Yer-2, Yak-2, Yak-4, Ar-2, DB-3B, IL-4, IL-10, Do 217, Do 17, Do 335, Ju188, Ta154, Ju87 D-5 (My top choices in bold)

I understand they would never put these together in a campaign as they weren't all part of the same campaign or even time period, but if they released all of these as collector planes, I'd IMMEDIATELY be willing to pay $25+ per plane for any and all of these.

BTW, why wait to purchase it on steam?  You can get the pre-order discount, and you'll cut the middleman out and give the devs more funds to help create more/better products for us.  Personally, if the Mosquito or Me410 came out before the final product, I know there's no way I could contain myself and wait for Steam to put it up for sale.

Edited by FeuerFliegen

1 hour ago, Godspeed said:

Its a long story but short is im fanatical Steam user and i been pre ordering on page before when there was option to recieve steam keys after release.

Im waiting Bodenplatte keys and were last with that option but only very early order in 2018.

Now this option no longer exist so i need to wait.

Its hard to wait now but i have no other choise ūü•ļ

I help my father and maintain his computer.

He love Sturmovik so i help him to buy the expansions as well for his Steam account.

Steam is also platform for him and its easier because he is familiar with the interface.

He dont know how to give feedback of anything but i can say he is happy about the products because i get the feedback from phone calls ūüėä

I have couple friends who have buy Sturmovik from Steam and i have tried to teach them how to fly with some success.

Even some people hate Steam it has many users and many potential customers and without it i would have not got them to buy the product.

You only need to own BoS on Steam and the rest of the stuff (collector planes, BoM/BOK/BoBP) you can buy from il2 store and everyrhing will be linked and incorporated with Steam BoS version.

I play from Steam, bought BoS and F190a3 from it and everything else from il2 store.

You don't need to wait for steam release!

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

Didn't know that. Well, given it's an old 1946, not big of an issue to me. Overall it looks great. 

It's a big issue to me. Probably other people too. As soon as I saw the screenie I felt something was off about it, and there was. Missing the 18 inch extension throws all the other elements off, makes everything look completely out of proportion. Great effort, but a fail in my books.

5 hours ago, Megalax said:

It's a big issue to me. Probably other people too. As soon as I saw the screenie I felt something was off about it, and there was. Missing the 18 inch extension throws all the other elements off, makes everything look completely out of proportion. Great effort, but a fail in my books.

Which is why myself and I would assume others, have ditched Il2 46 and moved on to the Great Battles Series.

Accuracy, more modern tech in modelling and the continued support by a great bunch of developers in this genre of PC Simulations.

Despite the complaints - I also love how AI is now subjected to the same limitations as we are in flight.¬† Already with more recent updates, AI is improving in variety of tactics and also number of AI controlled planes one comes up against in Career Mode is improving.¬† As the engine migrates development to take advantage of multi core CPU's, this will only improve.¬† I must admit though, having your one flight come up against 4 or so enemy flights at the same time - it's very intimidating.ūüė¨

Now if we can get marine ops into career mode - that would be great.  I wonder what naval assets they will model for Normandy?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

When Kuban came out (and the Pacific looked closer)... I thought that the improved hydrodynamics and torpedoes might lead to them modelling a player controlled torpedo boat. I figured that the team could handle the fluid dynamics and that torpedo boats are about as close to aircraft as one can get. It would be a chance to explore whether there is a market. That said, improvements to ship AI might be necessary - and I don't mind that they modeled tanks (something which might actually be more ambitious).

That said - I did rather enjoy PT-Boats:KOTS and Southern Gambit despire their flaws.

Ah i was hoping for planes carrying torpedos loadout in Kuban as a step closer to PTO!

And with pto as main project that 3rd party studios could model submarine sim, one for each side!

Uboat in VR ūüėć

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately I am locking this thread until further notice while we clean out un-related or off topic posts.

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3