Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

3 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Fingers crossed + are they in campaing of BoK also?

I believe BlackSix posted in another thread that the Hurricane will be in all three eastern careers, and the Yak-9s will be in BoK

7 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

You mean the new CPs? Yes, that sounds about right, but hoping a little quicker. We'll see. 

Jason

First BoN planes before or after them?

8 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

They better make it so when you take droptanks your fuel % selection is automaticly set to only 100% and not posible to adjust. As in Il-2 1946 you could always see 109s or p-51s with Droptanks and 20-30% fuel. Online where useal sortie is 20-30min to max 1h droptanks are there just for one purpose and thats to take DT to have long range and have low fuel amount so when you drop DT you can DF like zero. 

This should really depend on the aircraft. Iirc 109 drop tanks fed into their main tank so they would have to have 100% fuel, not all aircraft worked like this and some could feed off of drop tanks only iirc.

it's fantastic! 

The best choice evere, tanti bacioni ai ragazzi dell'est!

• Haha 1

I do plan on pre-ordering BON for sure! -- just don't have the money yet - financially tight and need $ for my kids' Christmas gifts - best I could do was to show support (and treat myself a little) by pre-ordering the Hurricane. Will hope to pre-order BON after Christmas (my parents STILL tend to slip me some $ for Christmas gift -- but I do need a new joystick too, so I have to stretch it -- but do count me in - just exactly when, idk). But very happy to hear of the early strength of the pre-orders! I am sure it will be a most excellent product!

5 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

I do plan on pre-ordering BON for sure! -- just don't have the money yet - financially tight and need $ for my kids' Christmas gifts - best I could do was to show support (and treat myself a little) by pre-ordering the Hurricane. Will hope to pre-order BON after Christmas (my parents STILL tend to slip me some $ for Christmas gift -- but I do need a new joystick too, so I have to stretch it -- but do count me in - just exactly when, idk). But very happy to hear of the early strength of the pre-orders! I am sure it will be a most excellent product!

I know the feeling.  I cant justify games for myself until my son and family are taken care of for xmas

24 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

This should really depend on the aircraft. Iirc 109 drop tanks fed into their main tank so they would have to have 100% fuel, not all aircraft worked like this and some could feed off of drop tanks only iirc.

I get his point though and remember what hes talking about. It did lend itself to abuse.  If they can show dox that pilots kept a combat load of fuel and full drops cool. Otherwise I think full is reasomable.  I dont think IRL theyd use drops without full tanks?

44 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Fingers crossed + are they in campaing of BoK also?

Someone did say the Yak9 was supposed to be in BoK and the Hurri in all 3 campaigns for the east

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I get his point though and remember what hes talking about. It did lend itself to abuse.  If they can show dox that pilots kept a combat load of fuel and full drops cool. Otherwise I think full is reasomable.  I dont think IRL theyd use drops without full tanks?

I understand but if they give us a more advanced fuel system there's nothing stopping players from running off of internal fuel first and then switching to drop tanks. The effect/problem remains the same.

9 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

The yanks made a hell of a lot of these considering how much they hated them! The VVS must've been a good customer

They paid in blood.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Someone did say the Yak9 was supposed to be in BoK and the Hurri in all 3 campaigns for the east

Developer posted somewhere - Hurricane is mainly Moscow and a tiny bit Stalingrad (early). Yak9 in Kuban, but later on...and Yak 9T wasn't operational then but they are planning on placing a single unit with them when it enter testing date just to get it into the game.

Edited by Redwo1f

2 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Developer posted somewhere - Hurricane is mainly Moscow and a tiny bit Stalingrad (early). Yak9 in Kuban, but later on...and Yak 9T wasn't operational then but they are planning on placing a single unit with them when it enter testing date just to get it into the game.

Ah I hope dude who worried if theyd be in career mode sees this

@YoYo

Edited by Sublime

11 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Incorrect as usual.

Frank Grimes,  incorrect in what?

12 hours ago, Legioneod said:

The devs did say they would like to make the B-25 flyable, it all depends on the resources. If they make the B-25 flyable I have no doubt that they can do the same for the C-47 and B-26.

Imo it would be a worthwhile investment and would give the allies some true medium bombers and a much needed transport. They would also be able to release them as collectors I think and make some profit hopefully.

even when they make the non-flyable Ai planes like the B-25, B-26 and C-47 or even more flyable who will buy them? The majority probably never or not for the full price.

2 minutes ago, Livai said:

even when they make the non-flyable Ai planes like the B-25, B-26 and C-47 or even more flyable who will buy them? The majority probably never or not for the full price.

I would buy them, even if they cost me each twice the price of all the rest together.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Good to hear Jason awesome news. I've posted about the new stuff on the iRacing forums. A few of the devs are big fans of IL-2 in VR too! I recently saw Froogle did some videos too on Youtube more good exposure!

22 minutes ago, Livai said:

Lots of people would buy them. Players have been wanting allied medium bombers for a long time and the C-47 has been asked for constantly.

18 minutes ago, FlyingShark said:

I would buy them, even if they cost me each twice the price of all the rest together.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

This. I'd be willing to pay the price of a full expansion if it meant getting a flyable B-26 and B-25. The B-26 especially as it was the main US medium bomber in the ETO and it hasn't been done in any sim that I know of (at least in the last 10-15 years).

The B-26 is my dream bomber for Il2 (besides the B-24) I'd pay good money to see it made flyable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I bought the 3 collector planes and Battle of Normandy as pre order. Iam looking forward to flying the P51 B/C , the Spitfire 14 , the Me 410 , but the JU88C-6 I find especially interesting and look forward to flying it.

Okay I admit it Iam looking forward to flying all of them.

Great to hear Jason that that pre order sales of Battle of Normandy are I believe in advance of Bodenplatte at approximately the same stage of development.

I too as many did that perhaps the best of the Western planes mid to late WWII and maps of Western Europe were a niche that with present technology, engine etc,

was going to bring in the money.

Any chance at this early date of an idea of when the first of the Normandy planes , even pictures or and trailers of them may make an appearance Jason?

That's right Jason absolutely hard core flyer here.

3 hours ago, Livai said:

I know I probably won't fly them that much, but I'll buy at least one of them if they're made flyable.

On 11/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, =27=Davesteu said:

Only two(!) Ar 234 prototypes(!) were utilized for reconnaissance flights during the Battle of Normandy timeframe. The first bombing sortie was conducted by regular B-2 models on 24 December 1944. I'm positive they are not going to model an unarmed prototype version pressed into service as a recon, but the regular B-2 model - which doesn't fit BoN at all.

The prototypes in question still used the take-off trolley and landing skids instead of a conventional landing gear and do not fit BoBP.
Including this aircraft instead of a Ju 88 S-1, Ju 188A-2/E-1 or even Do 217M-1 is super weird and it's not going to fit BoN and BoBP, only one of the two.

1131523533_Ar234.jpg.15500676d43a88bf1b57a58ab2827449.jpg

The Ju 88 C-6 operated over the Bay of Biscay from airfield far outside the proposed map area; the few missions countering Overlord were an unsuccessful act of desperation.

There's no Spitfire Mk. IXc, but a (straight-)flying V-1 and a Spitfire Mk. XIV to counter it.

The only bomber is yet again going to be an AI-only version, this time of the B-26.

Finally, the AI C-47 are going to conduct the famous airdrop at night, so nobody is going to witness it.

Good for those who are satisfied.

The AR 234 fits nicely into BoN and BoBP. It also offers a challenge for the US/ RAF aircraft, instead of slaughtering the rest the Luftwaffe has to offer.

That includes the bombers you mentioned.

The Ju 88C offers a nice match for the Mosquito - imagine a DF server with just the two!

It also offers more capability for combined and historical use with Ju 88As on the other maps.

It's the better overall choice when looking at the big picture.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if they make the Ju88C in high-fidelity they can put some good 4k textures on the A while they are working on something similar...

• Upvote 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:10 AM, Jason_Williams said:

I will address Pacific comments later like I did last time. Our job is not easy.

Jason

Preordered. Happy to support. If I can’t bomb boats in the Pacific, hopefully we’ll get some good channel raids for now.  Looking forward to your update, Jason.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

The Ju 88C offers a nice match for the Mosquito - imagine a DF server with just the two!

the Ju88 will fall in droves 😂

Anyway, VOW missions with Bf110G-2 (most times the Mk108 were not allowed) versus Beaufighter or Pe-3 were a lot of fun in IL2‘46 days

Will we get cluster-ordnance?

P47_AN_4408_WingTips_p072_W.png

2 minutes ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

the Ju88 will fall in droves

Depends. The Mossie has the performance-edge, but the Ju 88 has the tighter turn and it does have the sniper-gunners.

The later night-fighters (G models) were just about on par with the Mossie accross the boat.

They had more oomph up the motors, though.

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

The AR 234 fits nicely into BoN and BoBP. It also offers a challenge for the US/ RAF aircraft, instead of slaughtering the rest the Luftwaffe has to offer.

That includes the bombers you mentioned.

Operation Overlord isn't for you if you are not into a butchered Luftwaffe. The Ju 188 is indispensable for an accurate representation of the BoN timeframe.
I'm still positive they are not going to model an unarmed Ar 234 prototype pressed into service as a recon, but the regular B-2 model - which simply does not fit BoN.
Long story short, Jason himself summed it up:

On 11/27/2019 at 7:34 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Battle of Normandy is the theme of the title and when possible we adhere to that, but when needed I will find other options to offer an entertaining package.

If you are happy with that: honestly, good for you. I'm interested in a historical air war simulation, not a themed sandbox. I'm in the minority.

It also offers more capability for combined and historical use with Ju 88As on the other maps.

It's the better overall choice when looking at the big picture.

Nothing wrong with the Ju 88C-6 itself, I just don't like the package: Ju 88 C-6 (= Ju 88 A-4), Bf 109 G-6 "Late" (= G-6, G-14), Fw 190 A-6 (= A-5)
Added to that, the airfields ZG 1 operated from are far off the proposed map and the unit's in-game career will be limited to a few mauling sorties.

I still wish they had done the P-38J-15 or -20 and a Droop Snoot modification for it. Unlike the rare J-25, it would have been usable throughout the BoN timeframe. But I digress.
ZG 1 operated Ju 88 R-2 (C-6 with BMW 801) alongside the C-6 - more viable, more worthwhile. Maybe it's going to be a modification? I wouldn't get my hopes up.

1496551772_Ju88R-2.jpg.09eb368e9dac468898a2d85a213b156a.jpg

Will we get cluster-ordnance?

Overdue!

Certainly hope that in the long run, we get to fly the B-25, B-26 and the C-47 with an essential inclusion of allied Paratroopers.

• Upvote 1

The BMW equipped Ju88 would be more interesting, suppose these aren't as widely usable as the C6 though? Any other reason for having the Jumo equipped one?

Is it true Jason said they had to pick between a JU 188 and an Me 410? If so I hope the 188 is still in the works. Additionally its not like the devs dont know the Arado doesnt fit the Battle of Normandy timeframe. I personally believe they did this because they wanted the Arado in BOBP but couldnt fit it in.  I think the same is true for the ju88c6. If its true that they couldnt afford to produce the ju188 at this time, and they already claim they want the channel front to go back to 42, why not just add the C6 now? It kinda fought over normandy, it certianly was active in the 42-43 scenario, and it was a menace on the eastern front. Thats a hat trick in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HerrBree said:

Is it true Jason said they had to pick between a JU 188 and an Me 410? If so I hope the 188 is still in the works. Additionally its not like the devs dont know the Arado doesnt fit the Battle of Normandy timeframe. I personally believe they did this because they wanted the Arado in BOBP but couldnt fit it in.  I think the same is true for the ju88c6. If its true that they couldnt afford to produce the ju188 at this time, and they already claim they want the channel front to go back to 42, why not just add the C6 now? It kinda fought over normandy, it certianly was active in the 42-43 scenario, and it was a menace on the eastern front. Thats a hat trick in my opinion.

I think so too.

4 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

I still wish they had done the P-38J-15 or -20 and a Droop Snoot modification for it. Unlike the rare J-25, it would have been usable throughout the BoN timeframe. But I digress.
ZG 1 operated Ju 88 R-2 (C-6 with BMW 801) alongside the C-6 - more viable, more worthwhile. Maybe it's going to be a modification? I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I can't say anything against your reasoning - it's just that the C-6 is the more valuable airplane considering the whole series. TBH, I'd wanted to fly a C-6 since it didn't quite make it in the original IL-2 series. The 88R would be a treat. We already have the BMW in game, so the additional programming could be fairly simple.

It would be a nice mod, giving an entirely different engine to an airplane.

+1 on the Lightning. Can't have enough of those!

I'm sure that later we'll have the Ju188 as CP. I'm really nosy to Typhoon - will version with car door as well? Anyway I like planeset and choice of the map - we can do battles over the Canal from 1941. Really good choice. 

Edited by I./JG1_Baron
  • Upvote 2

On 11/26/2019 at 5:19 PM, Von_Drinkoften said:

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

I wish the devs all the best with this module, but I personally don't feel inclined to spend a full $80.00 on it, or be swayed into being guilt tripped into purchasing it just to support them. I did that previously with ROF, and have mistakenly done so again up until now with this series, with no sign of the content (or fixes) that I want, being implemented.

While I appreciate that the developers can't make everyone happy, all of the time... they should not expect either for the consumer to blindly follow,  and buy everything they release on the premise that the things that I'd personally like to see, may "one day" be implemented... if I continue to "support" them.  

While the Mossie and Hurricane are cool; I can wait another 12 - 18 months and get them on sale when they are more reasonably priced.

The map and other content just doesn't interest me enough otherwise. 

Gimmicky to the core.

They run with the late-war Bodenplatte aircraft lineup which are amazing and a massive but highly lacking in-detail (entire cities and industry are missing) map where things aren't (Ruhr Valley, etc) present but should be. A map covered in low resolution textures and normal maps, horribly placed urban components, and 3D models that pop in place like some sort of FS2000 fan made auto-gen template. There are entire community regional maps, airports, and cities for FSX with a 5 meter terrain resolution that includes HD foliage that puts what these guys do to complete and utter shame, and that game is well over a decade old.

The aircraft lineup for BoN are a massive step back from the late-war Bodenplatte lineup, and it feels rightly cheap. The marketing team on the other hand have done a great job of advertising the likes of the Ar-234, Mosquito, and Me-410, of which you can't get unless you preorder the Collectors Edition. Honestly, they should have gone this route to begin with and then transitioned in the BoBp expansion.

For me, personally speaking, it feels like a giant gimmick to buy three vaunted planes and what will be a badly rendered map.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, =27=Davesteu said:

There's no Spitfire Mk. IXc, but a (straight-)flying V-1 and a Spitfire Mk. XIV to counter it.

That's the only problem I see with the planeset. The Spitfire Mk. IXc was the most numerous fighter type of the RAF during this time and it will be needed in particular when the devs plan to cover the pre-invasion periode.

So, my question for the Spitfire experts here. Could it be created as modification for the Spitfire IXe or would the differences be to great and it would require a separate model?

1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

Could it be created as modification for the Spitfire IXe or would the differences be to great and it would require a separate model?

Ultimately only the devs can answer that, but if I had to guess I'd say it's plausible for the C wing and small rudder to be added to the modifications list. In terms of performance they'd be very close (iirc the E wing armament is a tad heavier) and handling would be pretty much the same with perhaps a bit more rudder needed on take-off.

Visually, the cannon barrel swap positions) with the .50cal, the shape of the cannon fairing would change slightly and the stub would get a rounded plug. The bulge on the upper wing which covers the cannon feed motor would move inboard slightly to be inline with the cannon's new position, and the holes for the .303mgs would need to be added (on the Vb they're not part of the skin but are hard coded).

Looking at the IXe template the only changes I can see needing to be made would to added the ejection chutes for the .303s, moving the shading for the cannon bulge inboard and adjusting the tip of the existing .50cal stub, which I feel could probably be handled by updating the template to have a group of layers that can be turned on/off to switch between the C and E wings.
Other than that the rivets/panel lines should all stay the same and I suspect the existing pointed rudder area on the template could work with the small rudder as well.

Edited by HBPencil

2 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

That's the only problem I see with the planeset. The Spitfire Mk. IXc was the most numerous fighter type of the RAF during this time and it will be needed in particular when the devs plan to cover the pre-invasion periode.

So, my question for the Spitfire experts here. Could it be created as modification for the Spitfire IXe or would the differences be to great and it would require a separate model?

You mean a late production C-wing Spitfire IX LF? It would also have the round Mk.V rudder. That would make what was referred to back then as the „Spitfire IXB“. It would have the large, late production cowling as well and most likely pointed canon fairings.

1 hour ago, HBPencil said:

Other than that the rivets/panel lines should all stay the same and I suspect the existing pointed rudder area on the template could work with the small rudder as well.

Depends on the production date and factory. There were three different cowlings for the Mk.IX over time. But any new such aircraft should have the same type as we have in our e-wing Mk.IX LF, so besides the round tip, it would really come down to changes in weapon layout in the wing. Any new aircraft in 1944 should also have the mass balanced elevators as we have now, so no Mk.V elevator type.

Edit: It‘s confusing. Here‘s an example: Clostermann always talks about his LO-D (No. 602) as a IXB, even though it is a late production c-wing Spit Mk.IX LF. In later notes he specifies that, even though it is obvious from the photographs. There was a lot of modding happening and pilots did not care so much about rivet counting as they did for just having the latest ride. Some of the Spitfire botany really sims to be of a newer date.

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Confused 1

Fantastic, excellent choice of plane set and battle dev's . Battle of Normandy and  collector planes pre- ordered, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

Edit: It‘s confusing

Am I right in assuming that your Edit is meant for me as I gave a 'Confused' emote to your post? If so, I hope this doesn't come across as confrontational however I should clarify that I did so not because the content of your post confused me (it didn't) but because I was confused by the point of your post.