Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

I may be wrong but at this point, the way I look at it, I should be able to enjoy BoN in mp with planes from my previous purchases supplemented by the new Hurricane MkII and the Spitfire Mk.XIV collector planes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bernardthefourth said:

This looks really good to me.  As a primarily online player I'm really interested in the Mosquito and I hope it and the Spit 14 come out first.  I like these water maps that are much easier to navigate.  

It's easier to navigate over water.....said no real pilot ever!

But, I see I'm getting my P-51B. Like it, like it! And I'll finally be able to hop across the Channel to shoot up some targets in France, and then back home to England like I do in CLOD and DCS. I just never get tired of the Normandy map. 

So...we'll be flying this in two weeks, right?

2 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Haha! I know right!

I'm kind of surprised few are mentioning the B-26 coming as an AI plane. When left in a NMF, it was very sleek looking aircraft with a beautifully shape. Far more numerous in the ETO than was the B-25 we already have, it will be a useful bomber for the Allies as something to fly cover for. It will also be an excellent target for Axis fliers. Fingers crossed that it someday will cross the threshold as a flyable.

• Like 1

I'm too poor to justify preordering this one.  But if anybody less poor wants to preorder it for me, you'll be supporting the devs and further development.  😄

• Haha 2

Why are so many people bringing up Korea? Has the dev team ever mentioned it? It seems totally out of left field to expect that

Just now, GreenSound said:

Why are so many people bringing up Korea? Has the dev team ever mentioned it? It seems totally out of left field to expect that

It was brought up many moons ago in an unofficial capacity.

Han mentioned that he'd like to do Korea someday. That's the extent of it.

18 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

But, I see I'm getting my P-51B. Like it, like it! And I'll finally be able to hop across the Channel to shoot up some targets in France, and then back home to England like I do in CLOD and DCS. I just never get tired of the Normandy map. 

So...we'll be flying this in two weeks, right?

It is to me.  On some of the maps (especially winter) all the landmarks, cities, trees, and other stuff looks the same.  On the Kuban map it is much easier when you have the coast to orient you.

1 hour ago, onlyforbrian said:

I was thinking...I notice that you haven't offered any 4 engine bombers, is it an issue with the game engine? Also looking at the plane list for BoN, we already have a Ju88 variant, why not make a Do17 instead?

shot 2016.11.22 23.37.09.jpg

Boy would I love to see this. But the time frame is all wrong isn't it?

Now, the 217....

13 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

I'm too poor to justify preordering this one.  But if anybody less poor wants to preorder it for me, you'll be supporting the devs and further development.  😄

Feels. But I'm gonna hold of on other games so I can support em and pre-order it by the end of the year )) o7

What an awesome announcement to wake up to! Totally called it 😜

- Great plane set, especially for the Allies. Looking forward to flying the XIV for the fun factor but consider the Tiffie to be the most significant aircraft by a country mile.
- Big map with plenty of mid-war scope as well.

A question for the devs, will we be getting the C wing and small rudder for LF.IX? IIRC only 2 squadrons of the 2nd TAF and E wings at the time of the invasion and the small rudder was more numerous at the time and still quite common at war's end.
Also, if Jason needs to go photograph a Mozzie FB.VI the one at Lewis Air Legends (PZ474) would be the one to see, the FB.26 (in Virginia Beach) has cockpit detail difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onlyforbrian said:

I was thinking...I notice that you haven't offered any 4 engine bombers, is it an issue with the game engine? Also looking at the plane list for BoN, we already have a Ju88 variant, why not make a Do17 instead?

shot 2016.11.22 23.37.09.jpg

Why does this look like a Do-17 more than like a Do-217? Also, the graphics screams War Thunder xD Good Stuff though.

2 minutes ago, FAW-Tromplamort said:

Strange choice for map boundaries when you look at the real map for the battle of Normandy.....

Battle of Normandy.jpg

51 minutes ago, busdriver said:

We plan to have two versions of the map with Pre-Invasion and Post-Invasion versions.

• Upvote 1

This is unexpected news.  Thank you, Jason, I can now fly a Tiffie.  However, the map should extend to Argentan, so that it includes the battle of the Falaise Pocket.

And let’s not forget drop tanks will be coming down the pipeline too...

“In addition to the content we plan to create, we will also continue to improve our Digital Warfare Engine and add some ‘in the works’ features that were not ready for BOBP release. This includes such items as, Air Marshal, improved MP Lobby, GUI-based Object Viewer, new rendering techniques and drop-tanks”

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vig said:

Good luck to the Devs, but this is the wrong theater and wrong time period for me.  I will pick it all up during a deep sale, perhaps, but not at full-price pre-purchase.  I'll start supporting the team again when the team starts supporting me.  Have fun.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

I wish the devs all the best with this module, but I personally don't feel inclined to spend a full $80.00 on it, or be swayed into being guilt tripped into purchasing it just to support them. I did that previously with ROF, and have mistakenly done so again up until now with this series, with no sign of the content (or fixes) that I want, being implemented.

While I appreciate that the developers can't make everyone happy, all of the time... they should not expect either for the consumer to blindly follow,  and buy everything they release on the premise that the things that I'd personally like to see, may "one day" be implemented... if I continue to "support" them.  

While the Mossie and Hurricane are cool; I can wait another 12 - 18 months and get them on sale when they are more reasonably priced.

The map and other content just doesn't interest me enough otherwise. 

Edited by Von_Drinkoften
  • Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I wouldn't count much with that, probably will be the same map but with different locations of now existing airfields, defense positions, ground/cities destruction etc... I doubt they will change it's size.

• Upvote 1

Jason, congratulations for pushing the 'Battle of Normandy' to fruition with your management team, I have just purchased it along with the Yak 9's and Hurricane.

This Battle is so important as the lead up to Bodenplatte and beyond. I am particularly happy to see the Typhoon and Spitfire Mk.XIV. After the Battle of Britain, there was so much air action between the RAF, USAAF and Luftwaffe in this theater of the air war which we can now reproduce in good detail.

You will be pleased to know I have just mastered the "Mission Editor" and will be posting  2 single missions shortly.

Keep up the good work and all the best for Christmas and the New Year to you and the development team.

DFLion

49 minutes ago, Bernardthefourth said:

This looks really good to me.  As a primarily online player I'm really interested in the Mosquito and I hope it and the Spit 14 come out first.  I like these water maps that are much easier to navigate.  Pacific would be cool as well, in due time.

judging by plane set and previous dlcs first 5 out are probably 109g6late, 190a6, then p-47d and p-51B/C typhoon to get things going with easyer ones and then to fully new ones like mosquito and spit14.

This is a great news, this map is going to open a lot of mission and campaign possibilities...

... but please, could you think to people who want to fly as crew team and make Ju-52, B-25, B-26, C-47... flyable and give us the opportunity to play as copilot, radio, bomber, navigator...

17 minutes ago, FAW-Tromplamort said:

Strange choice for map boundaries when you look at the real map for the battle of Normandy.....

Battle of Normandy.jpg

Not really when you realize the Allies were trying hard to persuade the Germans where the landings were going to be. I can't recall the exact numbers but I read that for every mission over the Normandy coastline more were flown elsewhere to not tip their true purpose. In that regard, not flying directly over Normandy exclusively makes sense.

• Upvote 2

Exactly

Pre-Invasion the map boundaries outlined in Jason's post are perfect.

7 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Not really when you realize the Allies were trying hard to persuade the Germans where the landings were going to be. I can't recall the exact numbers but I read that for every mission over the Normandy coastline more were flown elsewhere to not tip their true purpose. In that regard, not flying directly over Normandy exclusively makes sense.

D.Eisenhower wanted two missions over Calais for every mission over Normandy

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, =BTAP=Hail_the_Snail said:

Feels. But I'm gonna hold of on other games so I can support em and pre-order it by the end of the year )) o7

I get it; I really do.  I have supported these devs with purchases for a long time; buying (almost) everything despite being a WW1 flier.  Even if the time spent playing the content really didn't justify what I spent at the time.  I bought Moscow even though I rarely fly any of those planes.

I love the series, and Normandy is a really cool scenario, even if I was one of those hoping for PTO.  But I recently left my good-paying corporate job, for a much-less-paying position training service dogs for a living.  Every dollar I save for a game can probably be more useful somewhere else unless I really plan on sinking some time in whatever game I buy.  I've already got lots of IL-2 content I can play.  Basically, if I make an $80 purchase for more content right now, my wife had better see me playing it!  ;)

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

Definitely going to buy it, but not now. $80US is $106Cdn. That's video card money for the moment.

That said, I have no problem with the scenario. A few planes seem repetitive, but given the advances the game is making, it should be great. And any new map is a good map.

29 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

D.Eisenhower wanted two missions over Calais for every mission over Normandy

That's what I was trying to remember. Thx! 😊

2 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

The Do-17 wasn’t in service at the time of BoN.

Besides, the new Ju-88 is a heavy fighter, so it has plenty to offer that the A-4 doesn’t.

26 minutes ago, Ramp_Rat said:

Sorry guys, gonna pass on this one. Looks like you got a lot of support for it though so that’s great to see.

think I’ll get the DCS F-14! Been eyeing that for a while. And of course wait rather impatiently for TFS 5 😉

Careful now!.....The Heatblur F-14 is arguably the best sim module on the market right now, and with upcoming and exciting maps, along with campaigns to support them, you may never leave the Tomcat cockpit again!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

The absence of four engine bombers is not a conspiracy, it is however a limitation of the game engine. This has been explained and discussed. 

@Feathered_IV has captured my reaction perfectly...

:salute:

Ah. I know its not a conspiracy but I had missed the conversation that it is the gunners. previous this had bothered me because RoF had Ilya Murmomets.. so I knew they could do it. Plus the Junkers has 3 engines.

Dont get me wrong, a P51 B/C and Typhoon really get me excited. Some of the other planes too. But the lack of even 4 engine AI bombers - that just really hurts doing WW2 aerial combat between the western allies and Germans.

I still love this game. Im just saying it feels weird.

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

We plan to have two versions of the map with Pre-Invasion and Post-Invasion versions.

Thats really cool

2 minutes ago, CastorTroy said:

Careful now!.....The Heatblur F-14 is arguably the best sim module on the market right now, and with upcoming and exciting maps, along with campaigns to support them, you may never leave the Tomcat cockpit again!

Yes. I have it. Its amazing.

• Upvote 1

I have a few nice things and a few criticisms paired with a suggestion

pros

1.  I like the location and i think this will pair well with BOBP

2  Getting new german planes at this point is almost unthinkable and things like the v1 will be very interesting indeed

Now for some criticism

1.  It would be a shame to use this location and not make a 4 engine bomber.

2. allies are lacking 2 engine bombers.  Russia has the pe-2/a20, germany has the he-111 and ju-88.  American technically has the a20 and currently britain has nothing.  the b-25 would be a perfect one to make flyable.  I mean they are actually a few of them around flying and i myself has been in one.  I could try to take some pictures next time i see if if that would help.

now for an oppertunity while its early in development

1.  develop some 4 engine bombers (even ai ones) for america

2.  model the b-25 as flyable for this mission.  You currently have the ai version and i am sure if you add that to the flyable planes list people would start to lessen their complaints about lack of content.

3.  Tank crew is very fun and you have many of the german tanks already done and the sherman is good.  You could potentially add tank crew content in this update and all that you would need to add are a few allied tank varients.  even if you make them ai only and still have the sherman being the only drivable tank for the americans.  You don't even really need to advertise it as tank crew, but you could give people a reason to get both as a suggestion.

4.  you can make up for the lack of "new" planes with really good maps.  DCS has an absolutely terrible d-day map so if you get it right and accurate then you will likely get praise in the community.  Attention to detail goes a long way and overall you guys seem to do a good job so if you keep that up and what you release doesn't seem like a cash grab and plays well, then you will get praise even if people are a little hostile right now since they want a different map.

anyway looking forward to flying it.  and i hope this allows you enough time to get the pacific campaign done right.  As you know everyone is raving over this due to the lack of anything modern available for that theater. It does make since however as if its not ready, its not ready and you do need to sell games in order to be able to work as a business.  take your time to get it done right as a delay in release has always been the way to go

Edited by zdog0331

2 minutes ago, zdog0331 said:

.3.  Tank crew is very fun and you have many of the german tanks already done and the sherman is good.  You could potentially add tank crew content in this update and all that you would need to add are a few allied tank varients.  even if you make them ai only and still have the sherman being the only drivable tank for the americans.  You don't even really need to advertise it as tank crew, but you could give people a reason to get both as a suggestion.

They’ve already done that. We just need someone to make a Sherman mission for the Rheinland map.

Some thoughts after being able to process the news:

• Map
    • Excellent choice, especially having pre and post invasion versions. This will add a lot of possibilities, going all the way back to the Battle of Britain. You can tell that they have thought about many mission types and environments, going from D-Day landings to the V1 chases. This really speaks to the versatility of the map.
    • I like the setting a lot, and enjoyed "other" sims because of that, but I always wished IL2 GB would cover it, so I'm a happy camper.
    • It could be a great place to have some tank battles, (TC2?) even if the terrain is not as detailed as Prokhorovka's special area.
    • I really hope that there is more attention paid to the map than in BoBP. I have to echo what others have said that there are many issues with the current state of the map. I also acknowledge that Jason said they will continue improving it for a little bit. My issues are empty countryside (no farm houses), the strange empty areas in the branches of the canals (probably derived from using modern satellite height maps), and the textures that cross terrain features like rivers.
  • Planeset
    • Typhoon Mk.Ib, Mosquito, Spifire Mk.XIV, Me 410, Ar 234 - Very exciting
    • AI versions - cool
    • Ju 88 C-6a - I'm intrigued, not sure what to expect.
    • P-51B/C, P-47D “Razorback” - they are ok. Coming right after BoBP they are less exciting.
    • Bf 109 G-6 “Late”,Fw 190 A-6 - [eyeroll]. I understand that someone who only buys BON would need some of these, but for me these are as unexciting as it gets.
  • Additional features
    • Air Marshall - Looking forward to it.
    • Improved MP lobby - Long overdue
    • Fuel Management - I'm very excited about this, especially about the prospect of being able to select tanks and even having drop tanks.
    • In-game object viewer - Is that what GUI based means? sounds like an evolution of what we have in the loadout screen(?).
    • New rendering techniques - I would love to get PBR as Jason commented recently. The games that have look really good, and I think it works especially well with vehicles. This one would be huge for me.
    • May I suggest adding user controllable master arm switch?
  • Not going to the Pacific
    • The morse code made me think that Pacific was pretty much confirmed but i guess not.
    • I was excited for carrier ops and Japanese planes but I also see the flip side that Pacific can get boring pretty fast
    • Not too bummed out, as I said above the Normandy map will give us plenty of scenarios to play out.
  • Price
    • The $10 increase looks perfectly reasonable to me.
    • Why would the Great Battles modules become cheaper over time (in real terms, after inflation), and deliver bigger maps and more AI units on top of the standard package?
    • I have not pre-ordered today because my wife is finding hard to find something I'm excited about for my bday coming up, so I think I'll let her get me BON.
Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 13

I'll probably wait until its finished, and see if/what they announce then before I decide to get it or not.

If its not the Pacific or the Mediterranean, then I'm officially going from supportive to outright boycotting.

I'm sorry that's just how I feel. I'm flat out tired of Northern Europe.

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

The Do-17 wasn’t in service at the time of BoN.

Besides, the new Ju-88 is a heavy fighter, so it has plenty to offer that the A-4 doesn’t.

I think he means a Do 217

Do 217 also has plenty to offer,  carrying Hs 293 - now that would be intriguing in the wpns mod to load and remote fly in an A-T-S ordnance. 

And they also fit time and map location for BoN (III.KG100) and attempted attacks on shipping and bridges.

Ah well, end of the day its up to the Devs.:big_boss:

3 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

• P-51B/C, P-47D “Razorback” - they are ok. Coming right after BoBP they are less exciting.

These are the aircraft I'm most excited about honestly, they are completely different from the P-51 and P-47 we currently have. Different model, different performance and characteristics, different cockpit interiors, etc. They are a welcome addition and I can't wait to fly them.

3 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:
    • Bf 109 G-6 “Late”,Fw 190 A-6 - [eyeroll]. I understand that someone who only buys BON would need some of these, but for me these as unexciting as it gets.

Have to agree on this but they'll be interesting to fly all the same, and are indeed necessary for it to be standalone.