Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

Guys,

This thread is about Normandy. Please take discussions about other products to another part of the forum. Let's not muddy up this nice announcement.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

I am really surprised to see all of the "Dissapointed because it is not X theater" I really think that the theater doesn't matter at the end if the team does a good job. A thing that as we can see they have been doing for a long time. We are flight sim fans and whereas Pacific might not be the next installment this is indeed great news. If you asked me 3 years before I wouldn't even say we would be this far already and to think that we will have a proper Normandy scenario would be a dream as it would be a dozen of more theaters. 

We will also have some of the community most asked planes adressed: Ground pounders as Mosquito, the Me 410 or the famous Griffon. 

Seriously I can't see all the negativity on this. Well I think I can. The team does such and excellent job that the ones who want Pacific won't be an ease untill they fly it in Great Battles!

Way to go 1C, way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

I previously posted I'd buy 24 Mosquito FB. Mk VI as gifts. I'll have to amend that since they're not Collector airplanes. I'll be gifting at least 8 Premium BON editions over Christmas. If you want to receive one, get familiar with Leonid & Friends on YouTube. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Is the map screen capture complete ?

Because we miss Falaise and other important places in the south:

falaise-carte-normandie.jpg

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

This thread is about Normandy. Please take discussions about other products to another part of the forum. Let's not muddy up this nice announcement.

Jason

1 minute ago, ami7b5 said:

If I say I won't buy Normandy it IS about Normandy.

I would like to be a bit more diplomatic here and say that I am happy that Normandy is happening (or whatever is next for WWII) and would be even happier if there were announcements about the other side projects.

The reason we're bringing up other products at all is that people are specifically asking us to support Normandy because it also directly supports these other projects.

The thing is, we can only know this for sure when it's coming from you, Jason.

By cons, what differences are there between the BF 109 G-6 (collector) and the BF 109 G-6 "late"? The collector version will not lose interest?

With the Ju 52/3m and the Polikarpov U-2VS you want to offer slightly different planes. So I launch the idea: the addition of an Horsa planer.  😁   By cons I do not see how to use it.  😀

• Upvote 1

Just now, jeanba said:

Is the map screen capture complete ?

Because we miss Falaise and other important places in the south:

falaise-carte-normandie.jpg

I would expect the post-invasion map to include the Falaise pocket since this was THE operational event for the 9th AF.

That road heading south of Caen is very important.

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I would expect the post-invasion map to include the Falaise pocket since this was THE operational event for the 9th AF.

Yep. In the area between Falaise and Trun + Chambois happened most of Dante´s Inferno.

Falaise_Pocket_map.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, No_Face said:

By cons, what differences are there between the BF 109 G-6 (collector) and the BF 109 G-6 "late"? The collector version will not lose interest?

With the Ju 52/3m and the Polikarpov U-2VS you want to offer slightly different planes. So I launch the idea: the addition of an Horsa planer.  😁   By cons I do not see how to use it.  😀

The Late G-6 will likely have mods available for the Erla canopy, probably MW-50 available as an engine option, and possibly a new tail as well. Also you can fly the early in Kuban which you wouldn't be able to do with the late variant. Also the collector version has the advantage of being able to be bought individually. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

So is the post invasion map gonna cover a different area? Heading south? I was thinking it was gonna be the same map but somewhat different.

Falaise pocket is a must so I’m hopeful they’ll include it

Wow I have to say with this announcement that baring a few exceptions,  pretty much everything I want from a WWII Europe perspective, both the map and the plane set offer up so many historical opportunities well beyond the scope of operation Overlord so I'm chuffed.  

If you are ever able to squeeze out a Battle of 1946 (Do-335, He-162 etc) then I'll be besides myself.

Thanks

• Like 2

I'm a bit disappointed that The Med/North Africa wasn't next, if only for an entirely different looking theatre... but I guess they had to keep the "bean counters" happy to continue to exist at all. For me the Mossie (and Hurricane) are probably the most interesting, but I'm undecided if I want to shell out a significant amount of $$$ for another pre-order right on bloody Xmas!

I also wonder how much of an influence the lawyers had in delaying a Pacific theater, as I recall that became quite problematic with the original IL-2 years ago due to licensing/copywrite issues and naming rights etc.  Still a Corsair and Hellcat along with carrier ops would be awesome... but not before the Mediterranean. 

I'm still a bit annoyed that FC doesn't have a proper campaign (and still no word yet if there ever will be one) and I lost interest in TC months ago, although the Panther did get my attention.

Lots to consider over the next few days I guess. ⁉️:mellow:

• Upvote 3

Nice choice!   

Happy with the ever-expanding planeset.  Anxious to fly razorback P-47 and hoping the P-51B/C will have both birdcage and Malcolm canopy options.

I am sure the map area will be tweaked, much as the Rheinland map. What is important to me is being able to take off from English bases and fly over the channel !

Just now, Legioneod said:

Falaise pocket is a must so I’m hopeful they’ll include it

I’m all for pre-invasion Normandy on the map shown - but you can’t do post-invasion without the Falaise pocket so maybe they’ll shift it a bit? No idea.

Post invasion is all about driving the Germans OUT of Normandy and south/east. So we’d need the Falaise Gap.

Good news and an open possibility for a monster map later?! Thanks once again and again , even if all those new products make a big hole in my end of year 2019 budget. :salute:

16 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Yep. In the area between Falaise and Trun + Chambois happened most of Dante´s Inferno.

Falaise_Pocket_map.jpg

Yep

Excellent area for some tank battles as well. :)

54 minutes ago, Megalax said:

The Mk VI couldn't carry the Cookie. Part of the bomb bay was occupied by the 4x20mm Hispanos.

ah I was working off it being a IV.
damn dyslexia

I guess we can all vote with our wallets wherever we shop for whatever product we are purchasing. None of us should blindly support this team if we don't like the product. At the same time, like many, I've been here since day one as we've seen this sim grow tremendously. Obviously, there is much that could still be added. For each of us, what that is, is a personal opinion as much as anything else. The developers need to go where they feel they can create a product that will sell well and have growth potential. I don't think anyone can really argue though that this team has added much content through the years. Much of it at no added cost to us. Things like adding Dx11, upgrading all the maps from the initial releases, FMs and more. I think the money I've spent to this point has been a good investment for me.  If others disagree, it's not my place to talk them into a purchase. All the same, by my continuing to buy new theaters, this sim will continue hopefully for years to come.

Edited by Rjel
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JordonBrooker said:

Going to be really awesome to fly over my home town!

Going to really annoying not to be able to, by about two miles. :angry:

Seriously though, the map looks ok, though I can see arguments for extending it a bit further south in particular.  They have to draw the line (figuratively and literally) somewhere though, and no matter where the limits are, someone won't be happy. Not unless a benevolent time-traveller turns up offering a trainload of gold and a full set of 1940's satellite images so the team can do the whole world. Though no doubt someone would ask for Moon-base inclusion too...

Good job 1C. This is a great idea for a release. I like the idea of building upon the western front. The playability options of the Normandy map are immense. I think it will compliment many existing aircraft, and provide a well paced step up towards new features being implemented.

The Mosquito, Ar234, and 410 are popular and practical aircraft the majority of us wished to see and asked for. I think the community all owes you guys a big thanks. The variations on other aircraft are a very welcome addition as well. I am very excited for the AI bombers, and C-47 as well. Fingers crossed one day we will be able to pilot them. The thought of the V1 is already giving me flashbacks of trying to tip but failing miserably in Il2-1946. Maybe I can still redeem myself there.

You guys have done an excellent job of keeping us on our toes, and seem to release big news regularly. Well done fostering the hype.

Also, the big sale has allowed me to buy a couple modules for my stepfather within my X-mas budget. I'm sure he will purchase Normandy so he can take revenge on those pesky spits who shot down his uncle near Andover during the Battle of Britain.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Edited by SCG_Hobo

35 minutes ago, ami7b5 said:

If I say I won't buy Normandy it IS about Normandy.

No it isn't. It's about your personal preferences

We all have those

• Like 1

As I stated in my edited earlier post...If they do D-Day as part of this theatre, many of the landing craft and capital ships will be transferrable to the PTO. 

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Going to really annoying not to be able to, by about two miles. :angry:

Yeah, but if you have any rivalries with neighboring towns to the south you can drop bombs on them without fear of retaliation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I’m all for pre-invasion Normandy on the map shown - but you can’t do post-invasion without the Falaise pocket so maybe they’ll shift it a bit? No idea.

Post invasion is all about driving the Germans OUT of Normandy and south/east. So we’d need the Falaise Gap.

17 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Extending the map south would require Paris to be made so I suspect it's the reasons the map end where it ends (same as north because of London), unless they find a way to only make the Paris section a noflyzone (like moscow) without the entire border of the map being affected we might not see falaise pocket.

Well, well! They held fast and did in fact do yet another major announcement even after the same day news of a good sized update. Wow.

I’m steering clear as advised of any PTO talk here and jumping right to the announcement in that...

...with the aircraft inclusion of the C-47 I can’t help but wonder if this will be flyable at some point later as an allied counter to the JU-52 transport for those desiring to do so. Regardless, will be sweet to see those birds flying once again as they played a major role! What a workhorse (I was privy to be part of a team which worked on a restoration of one that actually partook during the invasion).

The other I see some fun potential here in particularly for those Brit jockeys is the V-1 buzz bomb (think wing tipping). That should make for some interesting scenarios! Can’t wait.

The Ar 234 - geez is that butt ugly but since they’ve sharpened their teeth with the 262 nice inclusion. 

Of course the Mosquito was always welcomed.

It really only makes sense right now from a marketing standpoint as many things can carry over to this next theater and with limited knowledge on Japanese aircraft I don’t know if time would change that or not but I think for right now I’m sure the team discussed this to death before the decision was made.

Regardless, I’m throwing my money behind this team and fully support their next endeavor because in so far as the World War Two flight arena goes, in my book 1C and their compatriots really have no equal. Two huge thumbs up Jason and crew and I look forward to the next installment. It can’t be soon enough though! Seems like we’re always griping about something, huh? But we mean well...😊

• Upvote 1

Fantastic news,

I love the BoN theatre and the plane set is great. 3 collector planes and the latest release all pre-ordered today...……….. I'm in!

Cheers

18 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yep

imagine doing a Battle of Bulge scenario and plowing through the Ardennes in a tiger...

I was furious with A.I problems when bodenplatte came out, but with todays 4.002 update and BON announcement i love you guys again, instant pre order everything when i get home from night shift. Man cant be mad if you give man a mossie. 

25 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yep

Absolutely 😎

battle-of-falaise.jpg

Good is that we can have improved part of the post invasion normandy map for the TC2. But they need to solve - ai can see through bushes/trees and we cant shoot through bushes/trees issue

Everyone saying they wont buy BoN, will for sure buy BoN. They are just temporarilly suffering from Non-PTO stress disorder (NPTOSD). It will heal on time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 2