Sign in to follow this  
71st_AH_Gamecock

Tempest wing falling off

I have seen other chatter about the Tempest wing just falling off. Is this a bug? I flew the Tempest and closed in to shoot at a 110 and pulled up and the wing just fell off. Is this accurate? I have never seen any historical issues regarding the Tempest wing before. 

14 hours ago, 71st_AH_Gamecock said:

I have seen other chatter about the Tempest wing just falling off. Is this a bug? I flew the Tempest and closed in to shoot at a 110 and pulled up and the wing just fell off. Is this accurate? I have never seen any historical issues regarding the Tempest wing before. 

Its bug, as it says airplanes stuructural limit is 12 G (highest in game for prop fighter) and yet if you go close to 570kmh (355mph) and just pull up you lose wing, and other airplanes with less limit on G at same or mutch higher speeds dont lose a thing doing same manover.

And 570kmh is not that high speed for Tempest, so you would have some ww2 info (or pilot warning in manuals for them to not fly faster then 355mph ) about Tempests falling from skys chasing V1s or 262s as they lost wings doing simple pull up on not so high speeds.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 1

One of the contributing factors must be that no other plane comes close to the tempest's elevator authority at high speed. The only other plane that sheds wings like this is the spitfire and the a20 (very low structural limit). I also did it in a 109 G2 once back when you could adjust the stabiliser really quickly.

if we had G limit displayed we could see, but its strange that on that low speed you lose wings and other airplanes dont, pulling same or harder as i tryed full trim(stab) help on other airplanes to pull as hard as posible ther, and you can try 262 that has 12.5g limit and pull as hard as you can at mutch higher speeds of 800+kmh and nothing fell off, and is wings carry engines.

Also if tempest was this fragile in ww2 every axis pilot would know you just have to get to 570kmh when you have tempest on your 6 and pull up and tempest is gone. 

Edited by 77.CountZero

15 hours ago, 71st_AH_Gamecock said:

I have seen other chatter about the Tempest wing just falling off. Is this a bug?

Your wings only fall of if you collected some previous damage. That damage might not be too much visible, but in a pull up they might break then. I use "our" Tempest frequently and I could never shed the wings, unlness i had considerable help. So I'd consider the finding of wings just falling off as one of our forum canards.

Edited by ZachariasX

4 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Your wings only fall of if you collected some previous damage. That damage might not be too much visible, but in a pull up they might break then. I use "our" Tempest frequently and I could never shed the wings, unlness i had considerable help. So I'd consider the finding of wings just falling off as one of our forum canards.

I have broken the wings off an undamaged tempest, in fact that's how my very first flight in one ended. QM with no enemies when the update came out.

My suspicion is that you can easily go far beyond 12g instantaneously in the tempest because of it's elevator authority, so it's not a bug. (Unless the incredible elevator authority is not working as intended)

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles

3 hours ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

I have broken the wings off an undamaged tempest, in fact that's how my very first flight in one ended. QM with no enemies when the update came out.

My suspicion is that you can easily go far beyond 12g instantaneously in the tempest because of it's elevator authority, so it's not a big. (Unless the incredible elevator authority is not working as intended)

Ok I tried to reproduce. It took me going at 400+ mph, full trim up, push forward to maintain level and accellerate, then immediately pull full back and yes, gone one wing, breaking about 1/3rd off the total wingspan, taking the elevator stabylo on the same side.

I'm sorry, that's not a bug. One clearly exceeds 12 g like that with light elevators. Despite light elevators, you would NEVER be able to yank the stick like that in the real aircraft at that speed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This might also have something to do with the very (and still implausibly) high CLmax on the BoX Tempest, even after the last patch which reduced it.  Each degree of AoA is adding about ~30% more lift than is the case for the other planes, including the Spitfires which had famously high elevator authority.  So it is, perhaps, not so much the elevator authority: ie being able to change your AoA quickly, but the unusually high added lift per degree of AoA that strains the wing.  Same as the problem people report with blacking out easily in Tempests.

I found I need to change AoA in a Tempest more carefully than in the other planes.  

5 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

you can try 262 that has 12.5g limit and pull as hard as you can at mutch higher speeds of 800+kmh and nothing fell off, and is wings carry engines.

Not talking about Me-262 specifically - a friendly reminder from the realm of flight mechanics and structural design of wings of any airplane: nacelles, tanks, pods, any elements installed along the wing actually increase its structural limits during turns, because their weight force vector (multiplied by Gs) points in the opposite direction than lift force and thus reduce both maximum values of bending moment and shear force acting at the wing spar at its root.