Sign in to follow this  
7upyours

My BF109 vs Spitfire tactic(s) help

Hi - really enjoying Cliffs of dover again, and thanks to some tips from some great people I am starting to get the knack of using the BF109.
I use boom and zoom tactics which work very well, but some human players when seeing me dive they turn around and face me and shoot up, I have the height advantage and in a air game of chicken I tend to inflict more damage, but I do take some shots on the belly sometimes. After each attack I race up hard then start to dive again, and my opponent turns to face me again, so it becomes repetitive.
Being mindful of one trick pony, is there anything else I can try to counter the head on scenario ?

Thanks in advance, I do have some more questions, but this is the most important (many thanks)

try avoid head on. It's always a lottery. Try planning your dive so the opponent is not facing you. Or try to surprise him and catch him off guard (for example dive with sun behind that way you'll be harder to spot).

If you really want to fight head on use a bit of rudder to false your trajectory. You will lose some energy but if the enemy is not aware of what you are doing he'll miss the shots.

Hi thanks very much for the tips.
I have the sun on my back most of the time, but even at the closing stages I see a turn and face. 

Is the E4/N the best 109 to use ?

6 hours ago, 7upyours said:

Hi thanks very much for the tips.
I have the sun on my back most of the time, but even at the closing stages I see a turn and face. 

Is the E4/N the best 109 to use ?

Two options:

1)  Make sure you are DIRECTLY above your target before starting your dive.  Your opponent will have a very difficult time pulling up to get a gun solution.  Be careful not to gain too much speed or you will not be able to recover properly.

2)  You fake the attack...

- Start down and as soon as you see the opponent start to turn hard to to face you, commence a gentle pull up.... don't continue the dive to merge.  Loop and start down again in another attack... your opponent will still be recovering from his first pullup and will have difficulty in pulling up again.  If he is able to... then as soon as he starts another hard turn,  pull up again.  Repeat until he is out of E and unable to turn.  Remember your pullups need to happen with gentle G's... don't allow your aircraft to gain too much speed.

The E-4N is generally the best climbing 109E so yes, use it.  Although if the opponent is right on the deck, the E-4B will also work well.  But B&Zing at low altitudes is very dangerous, easy for another Spit or Hurricane to intervene and catch you in a zoom.

Hi - thanks for the help. 
I am winning against the turn and face. The fake attack and loop works very well, also by mixing it up by not faking, and even the rare "short" turn fight if the angle + speed is good ,and when I am certain I can give some cannon damage.

Edited by 7upyours
  • Upvote 1

Just a bit of info for historical interest:

Luftwaffe attack tactics emphasized the dive and zoom... and used the two man 'Rotte' as the basis.

So out of a four man 'Schwarm', the two Rottes would alternate attacking... one from either direction.

This was extremely difficult for a lower formation to avoid... they could turn to avoid the first attack, but the second was almost immediately on them.

Through the period of 1940-42 when the Luftwaffe had the advantage in climb and ceiling, this tactic was very successful... but once the Spitfire IX and other Allied aircraft appeared, the advantage of altitude disappeared... with the exception of the Eastern Front, where the poor altitude performance of the Soviet types allowed the Jagdfliegers to continue their mastery for another two years until the Yak 9U with the VK107 engine and Yak-3's arrived.

This is actually an important tactic, and it works on any plane. (though some rely on it more exclusively than others)

The concept is very simple, and is usually summarized thusly:    Airspeed = Life;

I find this a bit misleading however, as it somewhat implies that airspeed is a case of "the more the merrier", which it is not.

Anyone who's found himself missing an aileron or flirting with the effects of compressibility knows it well for a lie.

Fact is: Too much speed = Death;

Also, coming up too fast gives you very little room to maneuver your guns onto your victim. The faster you come in, the smaller the chance of getting a decent shot, especially if the target sees you and jinks away at the last moment.

What you really wanna do is not to go as fast as you can, but as fast as it is needed to ensure your adversary cannot possibly catch up.

I have found (with an LA5, on BoS) that it is actually possible to conduct a near fully horizontal BnZ attack pattern.   Just build up a decent turn of speed, take a shot at your new friend, then carry on without changing your direction until you're sure he cannot keep up and return you the favor.  This is a good tactic for any engagement, and is especially effective when you come up on an ongoing furball.

Just whatever you do - never allow yourself to "get greedy" and slow down to match your enemy's own speed - If that happens: Should his plane be best at turns, he'll turn around and kill you dead. Or if his plane is a boomer-zoomer, he can then blast away and turn the speed game against you.

So regardless of what kind of plane you're flying, the rule is generally:   More Speed Than Your Target Can Gain While You're Still In Range = Life;

That said, it's worth pointing out that two planes in close cooperative communication are as effective as at least four (sometimes more) of the usual "I'm my own wingman" online pilot.

The one thing you can always rely on being able to do alone in combat, is die.

Edited by 19//Moach
  • Upvote 1