Sign in to follow this  
Axemannj

chute fail

I just wanted to commend the devs for that nice touch.  Not sure why my chute failed, physiology perhaps, but I actually found the trip to the ground quite enjoyable for geeking out about it.

8 minutes ago, J5_Klugermann said:

Perhaps it was Talbot.

and cloaked/invisible in a DVII with Entente colors?

Who is gone say?

Edited by West
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Axemannj said:

I just wanted to commend the devs for that nice touch.  Not sure why my chute failed, physiology perhaps, but I actually found the trip to the ground quite enjoyable for geeking out about it.

Were you Central or Entente? That might make a difference.  

I usually fly Central and the parachutes have always worked but sometimes I am so wounded the game won't let me jump.

I flew an Entente BrisFit in VR and accidentally bailed out while trying to key the Flight Recorder.  No chute and that guy frapped.  (Nice stable position, though.  Give him points for that.)

Lately I've shot balloons and the observers hop out doing a gainer, go into freefall for several seconds, and then a canopy sprouts from the back of his flightsuit; no pack or harness.  

(And actually, without consulting Wikipedia, I have always thought that the balloon's parachute canopies were in a tube-like container attached to the gondola.  No static line or ripcord needed; your harness is attached to the canopy by risers and lines that are stowed in the container and deploy in an orderly fashion when you jump, pulling it with you as you go.  But I'm not a rivet counter and I hear the Balloonies did jump seat packs back then, too.) 

Now, if I understand correctly that you jumped out of a German plane and had a total malfunction terminating in high-speed dirt; then I gotta agree with what you said: that's a very cool touch for the Devs to add for realism's sake.  Back then parachutes weren't safe and reliable as they are today and people hadn't learned all the quirks of using them.

(And even today the name of the game at your local DZ is "ya pays yer money and ya yakes yer chances.")

This is interesting.  I think I'll go fly some QM's and bail out of various planes to see if I can become crater-bait.  Thanks for the info,

Prosit! 

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

Entente flyers do not have chutes.  This is historically accurate as Entente leaders were afraid that pilots would jump at the first sight of the enemy if they could.  Feel free to call these heartless bastards, heartless bastards.

I just tested it in QM flying a SPAD: he jumped without a parachute and was awkwardly stable until impact.  Historically correct.

So far I've not seen any kind of partial or total malfunction but I record everything so if and when it happens; I'll sound off about it. 

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

28 minutes ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

And actually, without consulting Wikipedia, I have always thought that the balloon's parachute canopies were in a tube-like container attached to the gondola.  No static line or ripcord needed; your harness is attached to the canopy by risers and lines that are stowed in the container and deploy in an orderly fashion when you jump, pulling it with you as you go.  

Same with the German pilots' chutes...which I'd like to see modelled in FC! It would make the chute less 'safe' - if you're falling at the same speed as your wrecked plane, that chute is going to stay put in the container. 

• Upvote 2

Yep, I'd also heard they tried the tube containers in planes, too; and it really didn't work well.  You can see why. Visualize trying to get out with half of your wings gone and you are headed down in violent spin; your rig is gonna be wrapping paper for the wreck.

EDIT

Wait.  Look at this pic.  I didn't know about the round containers and the balloons in FC1 DO have something circular up there which could be these.  Gotta go back and look.  So maybe I am totally wrong.  The Devs got it right for the balloonies.  I just misinterpreted it.

EDIT

Checked and confirmed: the FC balloon gondolas DO have the flat-circular parachute packs in the upper rigging over the observer's head.  I didn't recognize it as that and thus my perception was wrong.  They should NOT be wearing parachute packs, as I'd said I thought they should a day or so ago.  

I stand corrected.  

Photography_Q27506.jpg

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Now, if I understand correctly that you jumped out of a German plane and had a total malfunction terminating in high-speed dirt; then I gotta agree with what you said: that's a very cool touch for the Devs to add for realism's sake.  Back then parachutes weren't safe and reliable as they are today and people hadn't learned all the quirks of using them.

(And even today the name of the game at your local DZ is "ya pays yer money and ya yakes yer chances.")

This is interesting.  I think I'll go fly some QM's and bail out of various planes to see if I can become crater-bait.  Thanks for the info,

Prosit! 

You understand correctly.  Central powers plane.  Bailed at high Gs.  Chute deployed fine but canopy never filled and fluttered beautifully all the way to the ground.

1 hour ago, Axemannj said:

You understand correctly.  Central powers plane.  Bailed at high Gs.  Chute deployed fine but canopy never filled and fluttered beautifully all the way to the ground.

Far out.  You had a streamer.  If the Devs designed that into the game, that's pretty cool.

You know, when a canopy gets rammed or shot, it deflates and you fall.  Are you sure it didn't snag on the plane going out?  Maybe the game thought it did?  If not then you just streamered,  m'friend.  I hope that's the case.

Today I just tried several jumps at various attitudes and speeds; did one where I was climbing vertically; jumped, cleared the plane, and deployed moving vertically but then fell back into the canopy.  The canopy disappeared and there I was, hanging like I was under a parachute with no canopy or lines in sight.  I floated down and when I was maybe 20 feet up I could see the canopy already spread out on the ground waiting for me.  I landed but was not attached to the harness as I usually am.

I think next I'm going up high, put it on its nose, and punch out in the middle of a high speed dive.  Maybe that will blow a gore out of the canopy and she'll streamer.  

I'll do it in a D7.

EDIT

Just now flew two sorties at J5F: climbed to altitude in a D7, dived, got high speed, and punched out... too late and moving too fast.  I went in.

Tried it again in a DV.a.  Punched out in a high speed dive but the canopy deployed normally.

It took a realistically long time for those planes to climb to altitude.  Maybe if I took the Dr.1 up high and ripped the wings off; make a lawn dart out of it: that oughta get me up and down the quickest.  Next time.

EDIT

QM is the fastest route to maxalt.  Just did some jump tests in the Dr.1.

--260 kmh in a vertical dive: canopy deployed normally.

--A/S UNK: wings gone; aircraft falling.  Blacked (not red) out for two very long periods of time.  Eject inop.  Regained visual and bailed with A/C going through gyrations; canopy deployed normally.

--Vertical climb: jumped while climbing; canopy deployed behind me as I ascended; this time I didn't fall back into it, but a bit to one side and it settled down flat and stable.  No damage.

--High speed (about 1 rps) right hand descending spin: canopy deployed normally.

Doesn't seem to matter if you're inverted, either.

--Dr.1 @ maxalt in QM:  Dive terminal velocity approximately 234 kmh.  Shook the outer thirds of the top wing off; reached 256 kph in a dive before additional structural damage sent aircraft into a violent flat spin. While I punched out the aircraft collided with both the jumper and his canopy; no ill effects.  Canopy deployed normally. 

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

4 minutes ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Far out.  You had a streamer.  If the Devs designed that into the game, that's pretty cool.

I just tried several at various attitudes and speeds; did one where I was climbing vertically, jumped, cleared the plane but fell into the canopy.  The canopy disappeared and there I was, hanging like I was under a parachute with no canopy or lines in sight.  I floated down and when I was maybe 20 feet up I could see the canopy already spread out on the ground.  I have no idea what to make of that.

Maybe they modelled guardian angels too...

2 hours ago, Axemannj said:

Maybe they modelled guardian angels too...

I believe that was the brand name used by one attempt to market  chutes to the Entente forces.

5 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

You know, when a canopy gets rammed or shot, it deflates and you fall.  Are you sure it didn't snag on the plane going out?  Maybe the game thought it did?  If not then you just streamered,  m'friend.  I hope that's the case.

Well, I may have snagged the plane and I was under fire at the time, so either situation may have occurred. 

3 hours ago, Axemannj said:

Well, I may have snagged the plane and I was under fire at the time, so either situation may have occurred. 

I've only done this a few times so it's all new ground for me but was the AI shooting at you while your canopy deployed?  

In FC1, when a canopy gets shot it collapses and you get a streamer.  If you recorded the flight, the answer might be there.  If so, and if it wasn't happenstance with shooting the plane; then that would be the first instance I've seen of a bot deliberately shooting a parachutist and that's interesting, too.

Has anyone ever seen a bot deliberately shoot a jumper?  I have not but would not be offended if the Devs made it so they occasionally did.  I believe it happened in the real world.

I'm not ruling out the possibility the Devs installed basic malfunctions and will keep jumping to see if there's any further indications of that.  Wouldn't be surprised if they did.

If I get a total or partial without other apparent cause,  I'll post about it.  Thanks.

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

2 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

I've only done this a few times so it's all new ground for me but was the AI shooting at you while your canopy deployed?  

The plane was a goner, as I'd blown the engine.  As I bailed out, the AI started peppering the plane and might have hit the chute as it deployed. It was probably that, although I was surprised I didn't get smacked by the tail as I left.  Might have been that too.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SYN_Mike77 said:

Entente flyers do not have chutes.  This is historically accurate as Entente leaders were afraid that pilots would jump at the first sight of the enemy if they could.  Feel free to call these heartless bastards, heartless bastards.

They (entente leaders) must know well their soldiers to come up with that idea 😂

• Haha 1