w00dy

Thinking of swapping my 1080

I currently have a 1080 and thinking of swapping it for a minimum of a 2080, though I would like a 2080 Super as I think that would be about 40% faster than my current 1080. I game at 1440 on a 144hz monitor, I also play games in VR.

Also I have bought the latest Ghost recon and noticed my GPU was running at a constant 97% and my CPU was only at about 55%. Which lead me to think about swapping my graphics card. When I'm playing my flight sim in VR, I always feel it could be better.

So do you think I will see much of a difference?

I have about £650 to spend and not willing to spend 2080ti money.

You could try to find an used 1080ti which has the same performance of a 2080 and it should cost way less.

If you are not playing IL2 in Vr you should not update.

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR

I'd say with the most recent IL2 patches that the 1080 is about the minimum you can get away with for VR, and as Qpassa said, a used 1080ti will give you a good improvement. You could also consider the 2070 Super, it's only marginally slower than the 2080 (which is in turn about on par with the 1080ti).

You should also consider your headset. Your sig says you have a Dell Visor -- are you happy with that, or considering an upgrade? Depending on the headset you'll need different amounts of power in your GPU to power it.

• Like 1

Yes, just be careful to not get the RTX 2000 standard cards. They were recently upgraded by the 2060 Super (ports the entry level* previous 2070 chip) and the 2070 Super (ports the entry level previous 2080 chip). And they are cheaper than the previous ones, so when buying a 2070 Super, you are paying less than a regular 2070 but taking home a regular 2080 (big deal).

*Entry level in the sense that they are binned and might have some minor hardware differences, perhaps in VRM as well, so the better chips will go to top of the line cards with heavy OC by factory. But there is nothing wrong with an entry level 2080 chip, and they also are capable of overclock.

Just the 2080 Super that does not port an entry level 2080 Ti chip, so of the pack, the 2080 Super is the one with the least gains.

I'm not sure about the price of the 1080 Ti, but I don't think it would be cheaper than a 2070 Super. Then I would go with the latter, brand new as well.

Whoever bought a RTX 2060, 2070 or 2080 a week before the release of the Super series got really screwed. Paid more for a card that became a lower tier a few days later. And the difference from a 2060 to a 2060 Super is no joke, for example. 

Edited by SeaW0lf

1080ti is about the minimum you can get away with at 1440p right now. I have an overclocked Gigabyte 1080ti that was blazing fast, in game, at 1440p, two years ago, but now if you keep the eye candy the frame rate drops quite a bit. The game is a lot more demanding now than a year ago.

I'd skip the 1080ti and go to a higher 2000 series card, to have some overhead performance for any game improvements that may come.

You also have to think about the hardware ray tracing introduced by the 2000 series.

A lot more games are now coming with ray tracing and the 1080ti is very slow compared to the 2000 cards.

2080Super would be a good fast card now and that would also give you some head room in the future.

My 1080ti is showing It's age and I would like to replace it, but I'll skip the 2000 series.I'll wait for June, next year when 3080ti is supposed to be released....according to the rumor mill.lol.

Edited by Jaws2002

I thought the 1080ti blew away the 2080 and was only surpassed by the 2080ti.

Just watched some videos and they perform almost the same, but the 2080 is beaucoup cheaper.

Hmmmm ...

3 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I thought the 1080ti blew away the 2080 and was only surpassed by the 2080ti.

Just watched some videos and they perform almost the same, but the 2080 is beaucoup cheaper.

Hmmmm ...

As in 2080 Super performs the same as a 1080 TI?

2 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

2080 super is way more powerful than the 1080ti. And in games that use ray tracing even the 2070 is faster than 1080ti.

Edit. 

Hm...i had the impression that 2080 super was way faster than 1080ti. But I just checked a few reviews and newer versions of 1080ti are really close to 2080 super.

I guess I'm right to skip this overpriced 2000 series.

Edited by Jaws2002

3 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

I watched a few comparison videos and they are within three or four FPS of each other and sometimes the 2080 Super wins.

There's a 2080 Super for under $1000 on Amazon Canada. 1080ti cards are running $1500 and up. It's the like the 1070 cards that are still being sold for $750 and a 2060 Super that beats it can be had for $550.

The prices don't make any sense. Who would pay hundreds more for a less powerful card?

36 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

The prices don't make any sense. Who would pay hundreds more for a less powerful card?

It's a weird artifact that often happens with computer components that are out of production. Although I don't know the reason for the high prices for GeForce 10 series cards on certain marketplaces, I don't think anyone interested in value would take them seriously. You can see a similar situation with many older CPUs on Amazon and Newegg.

Considering that you can get a 2080 Ti for less, I can't think of any reason to buy a $1500 1080 Ti.

• Upvote 1

Keep your money until mid next year when both AMD and Nvidia will bring new lineup. 

AMD said they are going to  compete at enthusiast level, with cards rivaling 2080 super and maybe even 2080ti and Nvidia promissed that 3000 series will be more affordable than the current 2000 series.

Competition brings progress and good prices.

2 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

Keep your money until mid next year when both AMD and Nvidia will bring new lineup. 

I Googled it and it says that the new cards will be around June 2020. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

Hmmm, I want a new card now. Winter is good flying time.

• Upvote 1

It is not valid to mention the RTX 2080, since the RTX 2080 Super is better and was released with the same price if I'm not mistaken. As I mentioned, to buy a regular RTX is to shoot both feet. You are paying the same and getting less. In the case of the 2060 and 2070, you are paying more and getting way less (since the Super version is using the chip above). From what I recall, let’s say that the 2070 was released with two binned chips and with some minor hardware differences (hypothetical nomenclature of 2070X, the entry level, for a MSI Ventus for example, and 2070Z, the entusiast level, for a MSI Gaming / Lightning Z for example). With the release of the Super series, the RTX 2060 Super ports the 2070X chip.

So the Super series is not an update, but a replacement with the tier above (for the 2060 and 2070). As I mentioned, if I'm not mistaken, just the RTX 2080 Super was not released with the 2080 Ti chip. They just binned the regular 2080, so the gains are not so great, but the release price remained the same.

On Newegg (the site I use to compare prices), the RTX 2080 Super is about $500 dollars cheaper than the GTX 1080 Ti, and the 2080S is way stronger, at least a tier above. Perhaps you can buy a used 1080 Ti, but it will be about the same cost of a 2080S and much weaker.

For a while I considered replacing my old 1060 6GB, and I never found a used GTX 1000 series that surpassed the value of a RTX Super, also because they were used and had little value for resale further on. I just decided to wait for the RTX 3000 series. The RTX seemed to be released on a rush. Better to wait a bit, and my 1060 is carrying Il-2 on Ultra settings (2560X1080p), so I’m not bothered.

So at least from what I saw, both the 1080 Ti and the regular RTX 2000 series is not on the equation for whoever is going to buy a new GPU.

Wher I live new  GTX 1080 TI is almost  40 % cheeper than RTX 2080S.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

2 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Wher I live new  GTX 1080 TI is almost  40 % cheeper than RTX 2080S.

I assume that it is not normal to be that way, but then you can get a RTX 2070 Super, which appears to be a tie with the 1080 Ti. Newer card, best resale value and with real Ray Tracing (2080* under the hood).

Edit* - in Brazil, a new 1080 Ti is way more expensive than the RTX 2070 Super, a bit above the RTX 2080 Super. I can find used 1080 Tis on the market for about the same price of the RTX 2070 Super, but then you won't see your money back, because in a couple years they will sell for peanuts.

Edited by SeaW0lf

On 11/23/2019 at 3:12 AM, Alonzo said:

IYou should also consider your headset. Your sig says you have a Dell Visor -- are you happy with that, or considering an upgrade? Depending on the headset you'll need different amounts of power in your GPU to power it.

I'm still happy with my Dell Visor and I picked it over the Rift when I was looking, after looking at reviews and I find it perfect for me and flightsims and it's 1440p. I also only really use my VR headset for BOX, though I have tried using it with other things.

Well I looked at 1080ti and you can only really get them second hand here with no warranty for about £450, new they cost as much as a 2080.

In the end I got a MSI 2080 Super for £590.

Edited by w00dy
  • Upvote 1

On Amazon Canada this morning:

EVGA 1080ti Black Edition - $1,675.

EVGA 2080 super Black Edition - $990

It's nuts.

Just bit the biscuit and ordered a 2060 Super. Not cheap, but I've been stuffing money in my Amazon wallet for a while for just this reason, so might as well spend it. Looking forward to BOX maxed out.

Now I'm going to need a new monitor. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

w00dy, I'm interested to hear about your experience with the MSI 2080 Super, specifically how your fps has changed.  I am also a GTX 1080 user thinking about upgrading; I play IL-2 and DCS, and am also a VR user (hp Reverb).   In VR IL-2, I get about 45-50 fps on the ground and in gradually improves with altitude and maxes out at 90 fps when above 15K or so.    My CPU is Ryzen 2700.   

Did you get the 40% bump in performance you were hoping for with the 2080S?  That sounds about right based on my reading and comparisons on gpu.userbenchmark.com

Cheers

22 hours ago, oboe said:

w00dy, I'm interested to hear about your experience with the MSI 2080 Super, specifically how your fps has changed.  I am also a GTX 1080 user thinking about upgrading; I play IL-2 and DCS, and am also a VR user (hp Reverb).   In VR IL-2, I get about 45-50 fps on the ground and in gradually improves with altitude and maxes out at 90 fps when above 15K or so.    My CPU is Ryzen 2700.   

Did you get the 40% bump in performance you were hoping for with the 2080S?  That sounds about right based on my reading and comparisons on gpu.userbenchmark.com

Cheers

Oboe I was also getting 45-50 fps on the ground and about 90 up high with my 1080. With my 2080S my new minimum is 60, not seen any fps lower than that with my new card. Up higher I can't remember, but it is defiantly smoother in VR now. I have not done a lot of testing with Box as I have been playing Ghost recon breaking point and just started The outer worlds both on max settings at 1440 now I have a 2080S.

I'll have to have a better look next week at Box in VR and let you know.

CanadaOne, nice card whats it replacing?

Edited by w00dy

32 minutes ago, w00dy said:

CanadaOne, nice card whats it replacing?

Morning,

My card right now is a 1060 3GB, so I'm expecting some decent improvements. BOX ran well before as I mostly flew small missions and just farted around sandbox style. But with the new maps and graphics, it's more of a struggle.

And damn the game looks good now! I want all that delicious eye candy.

• Upvote 1

Afternoon here 😉

Well thats a great upgrading going from a 1060 3GB to a 2060S 8GB, the extra memory alone will help.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Afternoon here 😉

Well thats a great upgrading going from a 1060 3GB to a 2060S 8GB, the extra memory alone will help.

I was going to get a vanilla 2060, but I keep hearing about memory usage in flightsims, and I like to fly in DCS which beats the crap out of my 1060, and I definitely want a slice of that FS2020 eye-candy when it comes out, so I spent the extra $100 for the super.

Mind you, I still only have 8GB RAM, but I'm being very careful with the $1.49 left in my budget. I wanted the new card first.

Apparently I have the day off and am being incredibly useless. :biggrin:

I tried to max out my GTX 1060 FPS using the in-game counter and got to 282 with everything at low or off, flying over an empty part of the Stalingrad winter map, and just looking at the sky.  I could get close to 200 while buzzing the terrain. And the map didn't look bad. It looked like... winter. Got around 150 FPS in a dogfight.

Kinda nice not fighting with frame rates.