aminx504

JU 88 take off with load help needed

i am taking of with full load of weapons , 50% fuel on winter runway . Once i get to 80-90 km hr speed the plane swerves right off track even though i applied opposite break pedal and full left rudder .  Can someone give me some advice please . rgds  

Edited by aminx504

had trouble with this myself

here are a couple of tips

• put trim at +30 degrees up
  • switch your position to the nose gunner leaned to gunsight, This gives you a good view, then get centered up well on the runway
  • second focus on a distant object like a cloud and catch the sway off the object quickly but very gently, resist the urge to overcorrect, stop it and let it stabilize then ease it back to center
  • third remember that the faster you go the more authority your rudder has so you always need to be decreasing rudder movement as you pick up speed
  • as you reach the end of your runway pop back into the pilots seat.

I almost crashed a real Piper Tomahawk by getting into a tank slapper on the ground roll, luckily I had enough speed already so I just yanked it into the air and it straightened up!

:salute:

skud

I just keep my eye on the turn/bank indicator and try to keep it in the middle with my rudder. It will bounce back and forth but usually works for me.

i found out my prop RPM was'nt at maximum . no wonder i was'nt seeing the rpm going orange while reving up . Shortly After  take off both my engines go kaput ,i have the outlet flaps open trim to 30 % but i simply dont have time to get up to hight and speed . What should i do shortly after take off to manage the engine and gradually get up to a comfortable height and cruising speed . i watched some videos on youtube but i find them over simplified .    

Keep it straight, max prop pitch, rads open 50/50, once taken off reduce throttle and pitch to 87/87 for climb.  You get about 20 minutes of that power level to climb.  Run at max max and you WILL damage the engines in a very short period of time.

I had to practice alot to get the 88 off the ground.  It has a tendancy to swing on the takeoff roll.  I compensate with breaks until the rudder is effective after reaching 100km/h.

I recommend practicing a few times offline to get the feel of it.  Once you do it a few times it's an easy bird to manage, but the first few times that swing just killed me.

Good luck!

Beazil

I was setting rudder pitch at 30 + radiator flaps outlet at zero before take off and 50 % after take off if  there is no  overheat , or 100 %  for a short while till i see the gauges are back to normal and i then reduce to 50 % ,  i was at a loss for the next step which you state above as 87 throttle for 20mn ,  thats what i needed to know . Yesterday i took off fine with prop power at 100 % . to keep it on track i am concentrating only on the left right brake pedals and trying to anticipate the moves left and right with subtle braking . I found the rudder useless and i prefer to concentrate just on one method . when releasing the bombs using the bomb sight do i  aim for the top of the cross as release point  ?  above  2000 mt  , 1000 mt , 700 mt , 500 mt . I have set up practice  missions for many aircrafts in the air and ground to study their peculiarities . this is really a must before going online since we go manual .       

Edited by aminx504

6 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Keep it straight, max prop pitch, rads open 50/50, once taken off reduce throttle and pitch to 87/87 for climb.  You get about 20 minutes of that power level to climb.  Run at max max and you WILL damage the engines in a very short period of time.

I had to practice alot to get the 88 off the ground.  It has a tendancy to swing on the takeoff roll.  I compensate with breaks until the rudder is effective after reaching 100km/h.

I recommend practicing a few times offline to get the feel of it.  Once you do it a few times it's an easy bird to manage, but the first few times that swing just killed me.

Good luck!

Sometimes its better to let it continue on its new path after the swing (especially on the round field type airfields) than to try hard to bring it back. With 2800kg bomb load and full fuel load, just a few degrees correction is enough to snap the landing gear...

have not flown 88 in a while but this might help - just try to keep tail on the ground (stick full back) until 100km/h or so ... u will need less brakes

7 hours ago, aminx504 said:

to keep it on track i am concentrating only on the left right brake pedals and trying to anticipate the moves left and right with subtle braking . I found the rudder useless and i prefer to concentrate just on one method 

Do what works for you it's only a game...