Missionbug

Addenda to new theater that was just closed while I typed.

34 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

They would just have to sell the expansion for $40'000 a pop. That way the three or four of us could cover it.¬†ūüėČ

Set up some kind of payment plan. It'll work out.¬†ūüėĄ

Would be like paying a mortgage, a life time investment, or not depending how you look at it.

I still think that if you offer up the chance to play any module anywhere there will be enough of us interested to at least buy that D.L.C, whether we play it much is another thing, we would at least buy into it so others might get the opportunity to see their own favourite included in the series and also just out of curiosity so we can see how the development team manages to do it. 

There seems to be a lot of negativity from some sources for certain areas, why I do not know, each will and always will have its own unique part in our history and therefore how our lives and society have been changed by those events, for better or worse is a discussion for another time and place I think.

At the end of the day I have to concede that from the development teams point of view their very existence as a group depends on them collectively finding the right way forward, they sadly cannot do this for love, they must have a more pragmatic view of things and as such keep their own house in order and look after themselves and families so need to approach things in a slightly different way to what our wishes and whims are.  We can wish and want for everything, they have to make it work and pay the bills at the same time as delivering something the community wants while making it profitable or at least breaking even over what is usually a two year cycle to allow them to continue on.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If they did more obscure stuff like the Invasion of Poland and the Spanish Civil War, I would absolutely support them, yet I would probably be one of the few that would.

On the other hand, if they continue to do the Eastern front with the Russians and Germans, which I guess is the most popular expansions, I'd probably would not get the next expansion and wouldn't until they did something else.  Though I would still get something that had earlier Russian planes like the I-15 and Tupolev SB. I've more or less had my fill of Bf-109s and Yaks.

Whatever they announce next, as long as its the Pacific, the Mediterranean, a Flying Circus (WWI) volume, or pretty much anything set in the mid-war, (1920s/30s) period, I'll be a happy camper and support it as best I can. 

Its true that a large group would probably support Il-2 even if its an expansion featuring stuff they never heard of. But only for a while, and its the big popular stuff that ropes in new people and makes the most money. Its sad. But its true.

Edited by Motherbrain

1 hour ago, Missionbug said:

There seems to be a lot of negativity from some sources for certain areas, why I do not know, each will and always will have its own unique part in our history and therefore how our lives and society have been changed by those events, for better or worse is a discussion for another time and place I think.

Sir, your posts in this topic and the other one are the wisest and the most decent ones I ever read recently. These are the exact thoughts I have regarding all the theaters. I wouldn't have said it any better. Much respect to you!:salute:

So sick and tired of negativity towards any theater by some toxic minority who are just being too vocal here and feel entitled to represent thoughs of majority.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, agree. I have no idea why people get their panties in a twist over the "next" theater. 

There are a lot of outstanding areas they could explore; Battle of France, Italy, North Africa (though unlikely according to Jason), Greece, East Asia and of course the Pacific. There are also some areas that i didn't think of like Spanish Civil War and Norway, etc... 

I mean, I do have preference, but I am not going to have a childish fit over the next announcement. Plus, I would hope that Flying Circus and Tank crew would continue to be developed independent of WWII aerial expansions. Seriously, the level of detail and realism is so good; how could you turn away any expansion! 

Yes I agree that the discussion about the next theatre was being turned into an argument about anything else.

As a huge history buff when it comes to aviation in WW2, I have no 'favourite' theatre, certainly not to the detriment of anything else, just a real, deep interest in all things aviation in WW2 (and WW1).

If the next theatre is the Pacific then great, obviously the devs would have decided that broadening the franchise at that point is more important than increasing the depth that is already there.

Prior to the previous thread being locked I noticed the idea of the Polish theatre, which personally I think is brilliant. That's the point I made about the Eastern Front maps (well a lot of them anyway), they can be used for multiple campaigns. So not only would you have the Polish campaign of 1939, you have the start of Barbarossa in 41 and then the fighting there in 44/45. In one addition you've increased the depth of the Sim no end....and as a single player campaigns kinda guy....I'm all for that ūüėÄ.

My biggest consern are the general idea of not going back in time after Bodenplatte. 
After Bobp I find myself flying in WOL. 
I never had anything against that server, really nice missions with targets for all types, early to mid war, just the fact that just a few people bother to taxi. And it put me a bit off. 
being vocal about theatre is one thing. But some rule out east in future. 
I must say I disagree entirely in that demand. 
After all majority of fighting after 1941 happened there and it is just too much to miss not going back there. 

ps: why did the original topic get locked?

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

By and large I say IL-2 has developed into a great and exciting series. And the devs keep improving various aspects of the sim, which is something I appreciate a lot. Sure, it's not perfect, but perfection is something you'll never get, for everybody anyway. There'll always be someone who complains about something. That's just life.

In Japanese there is a saying -"junin toiro"  literally meaning "10 people, 10 colors" - just an expression to say that everyone is just different. But in a way that also makes life more interesting imho.

Anway I'm quite having a ball playing IL-2. And for that VR experience that IL-2 is providing I just feel grateful.

I'm sure that whatever next theater we gonna get, it'll be exciting.

Keep up the great work, 1C! :salute:

Edited by Gretsch_Man
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, IV./JG51-Lanze_vonHaltung said:

Yes, agree. I have no idea why people get their panties in a twist over the "next" theater. 

There are a lot of outstanding areas they could explore; Battle of France, Italy, North Africa (though unlikely according to Jason), Greece, East Asia and of course the Pacific. There are also some areas that i didn't think of like Spanish Civil War and Norway, etc... 

I mean, I do have preference, but I am not going to have a childish fit over the next announcement. Plus, I would hope that Flying Circus and Tank crew would continue to be developed independent of WWII aerial expansions. Seriously, the level of detail and realism is so good; how could you turn away any expansion! 

yes they can go where ever they wont, but that could be last dlc they made if they make wrong move, also some ppl are more naive then franch maids and dont see in how bad position flying sim games are compared to 15-20 years ago

France, Norway, Grecee, Spain, Khalkin Gol lol why not add Danmark, Manchuria, Crete, Yugoslavia, Romania and so on... planty action there aswell.

DLC has to be able to have small enought map with bases from what both sides took off and did operations over it, then you have to have free airplanes for it that are not already in game, and posibility to fined data about thouse airplanes as this is no WT level of "sim", and most importantly if that DLC will sell well enought to justifie it being made insted popular ones, as if you chose wrong one you basicly ended the game. 

It almost happend after BoM when they go for BoK, and then in middle of preorder they had to change leadership and anounce PTO to get ppl excited. If they just go BoS, BoM, BoK and then another east front like for example Leningrad, Kursk, Kiev, Smolensk or Crimea that would be it, hard to belive game would be played now. They had to change something and correct decisions were made to go to BoBp, i would like Midway as originaly anounced, but i can see that BoBp was correct decision at that moment and forcing PTO would be not good then, also staying on east aswell would not be good.

There is planty of options, but only few that are right, and will not end game in 2 years of making that DLC or are not posible as you already have airplanes or lack of data for them, or map area is to extreme.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

yes they can go where ever they wont, but that could be last dlc they made if they make wrong move, also some ppl are more naive then franch maids and dont see in how bad position flying sim games are compared to 15-20 years ago

France, Norway, Grecee, Spain, Khalkin Gol lol why not add Danmark, Manchuria, Crete, Yugoslavia, Romania and so on... planty action there aswell.

DLC has to be able to have small enought map with bases from what both sides took off and did operations over it, then you have to have free airplanes for it that are not already in game, and posibility to fined data about thouse airplanes as this is no WT level of "sim", and most importantly that DLC will sell, as if you chose wrong one you basicly ended the game. 

It almost happend after BoM when they go for BoK, and then in middle of preorder they had to change leadership and anounce PTO to get ppl excited. If they just go BoS, BoM, BoK and then another east front like for example Leningrad, Kursk, Kiev, Smolensk or Crimea that would be it, hard to belive game would be played now. They had to change something and correct decisions were made to go to BoBp, i would like Midway as originaly anounced, but i can see that BoBp was correct decision at that moment and forcing PTO would be not good then, also staying on east aswell would not be good.

There is planty of options, but only few that are right, and will not end game in 2 years of making that DLC or are not posible as you already have airplanes or lack of data for them, or map area is to extreme.

Yeah i'd like Operations in Yugoslavia, it has one of the most interesting mix of planes in ww2.

But that won't happen so my primary wish is related to tactical and naval operations.

So i'm all for Midway, but any other PTO battle would be fine if carriers and torpedo tech is included.

Btw that comment in locked thread about ppl being ignorant cos they want famous battles is narrow minded and elitist, we all have our preferences.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

I wouldn't mind Jason making Maps for content we already have for the Eastern Front, Crimea would be good or any of the other areas along the huge Eastern Front, you could play it going forwards and back depending on the year with the plane sets we have.  And then have small Plane collector sets to go along with them.  And the way most people gobble up Flight Sim materials I don't believe it matters where they are they will inevitably buy them........... I know I will.  Some will pout and whine, but they will still buy them and play them.......... you can never please everyone so why try............... 

JMTCW............

Hoss

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

DLC has to be able to have small enought map with bases from what both sides took off and did operations over it, then you have to have free airplanes for it that are not already in game, and posibility to fined data about thouse airplanes as this is no WT level of "sim", and most importantly if that DLC will sell well enought to justifie it being made insted popular ones, as if you chose wrong one you basicly ended the game. 

I am befuddled why you quoted me. I never made any comment about marketing. I only commended many of the many outstanding suggestions that I personally did not think of. What is the best title for experience combat simmers/ aviation history buff may not be the best choice for attracting new people to the game not is it necessarily something they can produce quickly enough to make it profitable. 

• Upvote 1

A DLC that covers Leningrad, part of the Baltic countries and Finland would do nicely and cover fighting through most of WW2. New aircraft (Gladiator, Buffalo, Fokker, Morane etc) and a new nation with career + language pack. Shouldn't be that hard to accomplish.

Finland would be interesting.  However I suspect that now the US has been included as a faction, there won’t be another chapter selected that doesn’t have the Americans in it.  

• Like 1

Filed under things I'd like to see but won't happen; I'd love to see multiple maps in a PTO pack, probably with sea areas slightly reduced in size for playability.

Coral Sea

Midway

Guadalcanal

Aleutians

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Finland would be interesting.  However I suspect that now the US has been included as a faction, there won’t be another chapter selected that doesn’t have the Americans in it.  

Hope your wrong.  Winterwar would be a balanced battle with even a US built airplane. 
Brewster
Hurricanes

Gloster Gladiators

Blenheims

G 50’s

Fokker dxxi 

and that french plane I cant spell

F490A558-220A-4BC7-9309-A764FDD4FE99.jpeg

6 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

F490A558-220A-4BC7-9309-A764FDD4FE99.jpeg

Morane 406 ?

Your captures show a Fokker DXXI :)

Yes I know I have it listed. The Fokker was my favorite fighter east in old 46

in special with skis 

2 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Filed under things I'd like to see but won't happen; I'd love to see multiple maps in a PTO pack, probably with sea areas slightly reduced in size for playability.

Coral Sea

Midway

Guadalcanal

Aleutians

In pacific subforum there is a pinned thread about Midway ships and planes, also when PTO was announced if i remember correctly Midway was first on the list, folowing with Okinawa or Coral sea....not sure tbh.

Still curious why Jason don't reveal us plans for the next theatre as he usually did in the past, even before releasing the then current title or official announcement.

They spoiled us!

I guess as community grows they become more careful in PR department.

I'll be happy with pretty much anything they decide to do next.

Unless its another Eastern Front expansion. That's about the only thing I wouldn't buy into. At least not right away anyway.

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Upvote 2

We spend over hundreds or thousands on new computers, VR head sets or head tracking, hardware upgrades and flight sim gear to run the program.  Why not invest a couple hundred per year on the continuation of the program itself?  

Answering self: You don't invest if the programming team has failed to deliver.  That is an individual choice that everyone has the right to make on their own.  I know my choice.  I will buy the next product whether it is exactly the setting that I want or not.  I will probably derive more than enough out of that product to warrant the expenditure.  Worst case I am making small investment in the continuation of a product that I greatly appreciate.

• Upvote 11

4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

We spend over hundreds or thousands on new computers, VR head sets or head tracking, hardware upgrades and flight sim gear to run the program.  Why not invest a couple hundred per year on the continuation of the program itself?  

Answering self: You don't invest if the programming team has failed to deliver.  That is an individual choice that everyone has the right to make on their own.  I know my choice.  I will buy the next product whether it is exactly the setting that I want or not.  I will probably derive more than enough out of that product to warrant the expenditure.  Worst case I am making small investment in the continuation of a product that I greatly appreciate.

Agreed. One of the reasons I own everything released in ROF. I still dabble now and then. I’ll always own it all with rights to play it whether I choose to or not. It’s what I chose to pay for at the time and have no regrets in doing so (despite the self immolating barrage balloons upon landing).

‚ÄúBut investing in all of that has left you with an unsupported product now‚ÄĚ I hear you say. But all that was purchased knowing full well it would never be supported to the ends of the earth and it delivered and has provided hundreds of hours of immersion into that historic time era.¬†That¬†money spent back then¬†has now helped to¬†create a series utilizing a new¬†graphics engine along with 4K graphics and all associated added effects, as well as¬†VR support.¬†One day this will all be preempted by the next newest graphics engine and all the newest goodies¬†that goes along with it,¬†as hardware development¬†continues to push new boundaries, opening the door to¬†new software technologies. It‚Äôs just the nature of the beast.

So in essence, I guess it’s not just money spent on a product that I personally think has delivered as promised but actually has surpassed its original goals, but in a way it’s an investment in securing the future as well, particularly for the realistic aspects of flight and the combat flight sim community niche in general (sorry War Thunder).

‚ÄúDeliver a product that faithfully feeds the public and ye¬†shall prosper. Plunder on ill promises and ye¬†shall wither and fail as late planted crops on a winters day.‚ÄĚ

Marketesium 11:20 

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Upvote 2

Would be nice to know when we can expect new theatre announcement...month-two?

17 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Hope your wrong.  Winterwar would be a balanced battle with even a US built airplane. 
Brewster
Hurricanes

Gloster Gladiators

Blenheims

G 50’s

Fokker dxxi 

Brewsters didn't see action in the Winter War.

However, your list has it nailed pretty much. There's only Curtiss Hawk missing for a nice Finnish Airforce set encompassing  the Winter War and beginning of the Continuation War.

109 G-2 and G-6, as well as Ju-88 are already in the game for the later Continuation War scenario. Although, Ju-88 needs the StuVi. Finns even removed the level bombing sights from the Ju-88s they had.

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Curtiss Hawk missing for a nice Finnish Airforce

Thanks for correction. 
I really believed Brewsters was in winter war.
Learn something every day. 

Ju-88 are

I was hoping for DO 17 for continuation war. 
SB 2 on red side

Finns even removed the level bombing sights

I wonder why? Was they only recce planes or did they fly low or divebombed

2 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I really believed Brewsters was in winter war.

They did arrive during the end of Winter War.

I would love to fly the Brewster in this series.  It's one of the reasons I have not uninstalled '46 yet.  Had so much fun with it, and the mod Hawk 75.  I'd love to see Finland in this engine as well.  It would rival The Kuban for most beautiful map.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I would love to fly the Brewster in this series.

Malaya is for you! Claudes vs. Buffaloes!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

It would rival The Kuban for most beautiful map

No rivalry there. Finland wins, hands down. ;)

But I'm biased :P

I was thinking of an extension on "South Barabrossa", with the Romanian, in addition to the German and Soviet of course.

Axis planes (including collector):

Blenheim 

Hurricane I

Me109E3

Ju87B

IAR80

USSR:

Yak-1 early

Su2

SB2

I153

I15bis

This battle was hard fought in the air and is very interesting as such

The map would correspond to the Bessarabia map in Il2 (or larger if possible) and could be used for the 1944 USSR offensives too.

Of course, early british planes (which were part of the Romainian OB) would interest a lot of people, out of the Barbarossa context

Edited by jeanba

44 minutes ago, jeanba said:

I was thinking of an extension on "South Barabrossa", with the Romanian, in addition to the German and Soviet of course.

Axis planes (including collector):

Blenheim 

Hurricane I

Me109E3

Ju87B

IAR80

USSR:

Yak-1 early

Su2

SB2

I153

I15bis

This battle was hard fought in the air and is very interesting as such

The map would correspond to the Bessarabia map in Il2 (or larger if possible) and could be used for the 1944 USSR offensives too.

Of course, early british planes (which were part of the Romainian OB) would interest a lot of people, out of the Barbarossa context

Agreed, next to the Finnish front this would be another great addition, trouble with the sim now is the Eastern front only has  German and Russian protagonists, what it really needs is more of the many other nationalities who took part.;)

My thoughts are the more nationalities the more interest, all players if they can would rather enact the exploits of their forefathers, fly those missions and aircraft they did, war is a very personal and nationalistic endeavour after all and for us the Eastern front is one or the other at the moment and we might not want to represent either so we might find a game that allows us to follow our own agenda so we can be Romanian, Hungarian, French or whatever else is available as well.

Old 1946 gave us that, sadly those various nationals were not included here at the start, even using German and Russian aircraft would be possible without there necessarily being new aircraft, although we do like our new aircraft.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

3 minutes ago, Missionbug said:

Old 1946 gave us that, sadly those various nationals were not included here at the start, even using German and Russian aircraft would be possible without there necessarily being new aircraft, although we do like our new aircraft.

Agree:

Flying Finnish Buffaloes or Moranes, Romanian IARs, PZL, Hungarion Cr42 and Re2000 were great.

Now the Potez633 is available, I will certainly refly over Bessarabia !

2 hours ago, Ruthless_Killer said:

Channel 43-44, Italy 44

I don't think the Germans were contesting the English Channel in 1943 - 45 ( nor 1942 really, either). And in Italy, after the Anzio counter-offensive (Feb-Mar-1944?) they mostly withdrew from the fight there, too. I'd buy such products, but would prefer earlier rather than later in all theaters.

Edited by cardboard_killer

Eventough I would kill for a Normandy Pre-invasion with Razorbacks, P-51 allisons, Typhoons and such... (While Med is ruled out for BlitZ) I wouldn't say no to a Leningrad front.

Wich by the way, does the upcoming Yak-9 plus Hurricane have a place there?

Maybe a post-invasion Normandy ? Carentan was used by the allies from June 5th...with a career covering mid-June to September '44, then switching to the BOBP map. A Channel map covering post BOB would be nice , but that might be a conflict of interest since CLOD is covering that part of the war.

I'm just not really a fan of any time period where (from the contemporary perspective) the outcome of the air battle was never really in doubt.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

5 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

I don't think the Germans were contesting the English Channel in 1943 - 45 ( nor 1942 really, either).

In 1942 they certainly were. From the 11th-13th of February they shot down 42 aircraft and lost 22. On the 19th of August, they shot down 106 aircraft for the cost of 48. Over the entire year, the Luftwaffe lost 272 aircraft over the channel, while RAF Fighter Command lost 574.

45 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

I'm just not really a fan of any time period where the outcome of the air battle was never really in doubt.

I have bad news for you.  There is not any doubt about the outcomes of any of the battles of WW2.

• Upvote 2

Hindsight is 20-20 of course.  I'm speaking from the perspective of the people who fought it.  In that respect, a Battle of Britain scenario differs greatly from a Battle of Berlin, or likewise a Battle of Midway vs Battle of Okinawa.

Others may like playing the dommed vs the victor, and there is a place for that of course.  They're just not my personal favorites.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

1 minute ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Hindsight is 20-20 of course.  I'm speaking from the perspective of the people who fought it.  In that respect, a Battle of Britain scenario differs greatly from a Battle of Berlin, or likewise a Battle of Midway vs Battle of Okinawa.

There wasn’t much doubt about how any of this would end by 1944.  But I guarantee that the 1944-45 aircraft, whether they are German, Japanese, British, American, or Russian, are going to be very popular.