chris455

VR headsets- need opinions

I have no experience with VR, but have been looking forward to this for many years. Getting a new PC and want to include VR for flight sims. IL2 BoX, DCS, Prepar3d. I am asking those with actual experience to weigh in and guide my purchase. You may assume the PC can handle any hardware.

Thank you in advance!

I own Rift S, before had Rift cv1 so my conclusion from those two; in flight sims it doesn't matter is VR headset wireless or having tracking sensors separated from headset.

Tracking stability, comfort, FoV, resolution is what are you looking for...while it can run pretty good on available pc hardware.

Rift S is good, haven't tried Pimax 5k/8k or other brands so i can't say go for Rift S as others may be better.

Downsides of Rift S;

-not comfy

-no headphones

-chunky tracking, not terrible but was more stable on CV1.

Pros;

-nice clarity and resolution

I find the lack of phones a bonus ;)

in my first rift I hadda keep one ear off so I could keep my peripheral hearing.

I also don't find it uncomfy!

perhaps my faceshape is odd?

Lots of good info in this section:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/109-virtual-reality-and-vr-controllers/

I am also in the market.  I am thinking HP reverb for the clarity.  Index has the best FoV but is very expensive.  Rift S costs less than HP or Index or Pimax.  Not sure what the Pimax claim to fame is.  

There is no perfect set yet at any price.  They are all tradeoffs.  I do a lot of "this vs that" searches.  Have to take the info with a grain of salt but if you read enough you start to get an idea of the tradeoffs.

4 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

I find the lack of phones a bonus ;)

in my first rift I hadda keep one ear off so I could keep my peripheral hearing.

I also don't find it uncomfy!

perhaps my faceshape is odd?

Well i was comparing it with cv1.

CV1 was lighter and more open (don't like that plastic aureola around head).

It's not terrible but they've could done it better, overall drawback from cv1 imo.

But one really good thing i forgot to add with Rift S is you can remove that rubber part around nose so you can easily see keyboard (or ashtray in my case ;) ).

• Like 1

as you say I miss the build quality of the cv1.

it's not noticeable if one has never had one but the cv1 was *quality*

Thoroughly loving my Rift S, been using it pretty much daily since getting it in May.

I use it in both IL-2 and DCS with very good results.

I use earbuds plugged into the Rift S audio jack  rather than the built in audio strap as I prefer the sound with them.

Edited by dburne

I have a Rift CV1 and am happy with it, but if I was a first time buyer, I would go with a RiftS, best bang for the buck IMHO, about 50% of the price of a Reverb, Valve or Pimak. The last three may be better, but you really need a top end system to get the most out of them. The Rift and Oculus software are also very easy to setup and run with very little tweaking required.

I’ve owned a Vive Pro, pimax 5K+, Index, and Reverb. 

Vive Pro: great OLED screens, but terrible lenses. Pass. 

Pimax: FOV is great but it’s expensive, FOV stretches resolution (pixels per degree) out, and janky PiTool software. It also gave me a headache no matter how much I fooled with IPD (their IPD calibration is off to say the least). 

Index: great all around, phenomenal audio. FOV is a good, LCD screens are of high quality (not much color loss compared to Vive Pro). This is my current favorite despite the lower resolution compared to Reverb. 

Reverb: resolution is great, but that’s it. Smaller FOV than the others, built in audio is poor, and lenses are decent (meaning the “sweet spot” is small). The resolution bump between the index and reverb (with the former supersampled to the latter’s resolution) is noticeable, but honestly isn’t THAT big of a deal to me personally. LCD colors seem a bit more washed out than the index. 

I used the Reverb for about 6 weeks but I’m now back to the index. Both are great VR HMDs and, money permitting, I think the choice is between these two.  

I’m happy with the Rift S but if your at all hard of hearing as I am you can forget the built in tinny little speaker. In fact, those with normal hearing say the same thing. Good graphics-wise and the inside out tracking with mine is flawless.

Pimax if you want decent FOV and if you hold off a bit then there will be the next Gen headsets in the New Year with much improved Ergos and features.

If not, then there is a stable of existing headsets with narrow FOV the pic being probably Valve Index or HP Reverb.

Wouldn't advocate anything from Facebook aka Oculus just because, well - Facebook.🤐

I'm on the 5k and loving it.  The new ones with the deluxe audiostrap and the better screens would be my recommendation. 

I came from a vive, so my upgrade path was simplified by this decision because I could still use my lighthouses and controllers, but really I only ever fly and rarely do any other VR gaming, so if you are like me, you could probably get away with a single lighthouse.  I'll leave that for others to comment on because I don't have any experience there.

The FOV is really a huge change from any other set as far as I know of.  The next highest is 120.  I'm running 170, and couldn't go back.  The only thing that would make it better would be with a higher spec machine to run the 8kx or whatever the next step up is.   But I'm running an 8700k, on a 2080 vanilla, and given the performance I have on this unit, upgrading my hardware would be pretty damned expensive for minimal difference.  

For any of us cost is the most important factor:. You get the best you can afford for your buck.  Throwing a set of houses and controllers into the equation, I would understand people looking elsewhere.  Good luck on your choice.

Edited by JG51_Beazil

Chris455, You are in the lucky position of having multiple choices. I recommend looking at a Valve Index and if cost is a factor bear in mind all you need is the headset and one base station for IL-2 and other seated sims.  Here are my thoughts on the  Index: 

Wide field of view - This is a major plus for me as I can look around without having to turn my head to see clearly. I understand it is one of the few where the picture doesn't get all blurry towards the edges. This is very natural and comfortable.

Clarity - IL-2 looks fantastic in VR with the Valve. No doubt it also looks great in the other available headsets. I can easily read aircraft instrumentation in IL-2 and often marvel at the detail in the various cockpits. I've been doing the Havoc over the Kuban campaign in the A-20B and love the look of the A-20B cockpit and the engines to either side.  I am also doing some of Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator missions for Flying Circus and also love the open air cockpits and admire the detail of aircraft. The distant scenery is beautiful and I have not had trouble seeing other aircraft. In my view VR is so much better for close combat as you experience in Flying Circus especially. I am running at 120hz on an RTX 2070 with visual setting set quite high. IL-2 looks excellent to me but I could no doubt fiddle with the various settings some more but am enjoying what I am seeing so much don't feel the need to do so at this time. 

Ease of use - It fits easily and can accommodate glasses, which is important for me. It is easy to set up. I don't think it is the lightest headset available but I am having no trouble with it. 

Sound - This is a major plus for the index. It has to be experienced to be appreciated. I haven't tried the build-in mic as yet. 

Comfort - I find them very comfortable and can wear them for 90 minute plus missions without any worry. 

IPD adjustment - this may or may not be an issue for you.

Cost - I just have the headset and one base station which cuts about a third off of the purchase price. I may eventually get the hand controllers and another base station for other purposes but for flight and racing sims they are not needed. Even so it is still not the cheapest headset available but in my view the built quality is well worth the money.

Overall I appreciate the Valve's clarity, comfort and ease of use. The cost for me wasn't a major factor. I was delighted when I first used the Index and remain delighted with it. I hoep this helps and enjoy whatever you decide on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After testing every headset in the current gen, I would recommend the Pimax 5K+ but: There are the 8K+ and 8KX around the corner, with the Vision kit and Modular Audio Strap (MAS) included.

They are the only VR 2.0 headsets that are around the corner:

+ Biggest FOV by far

+ Best resolution/clarity (2x 4K, for each eye)

+ No SDE

+ Best comfort

+ Rocksolid tracking

+ Many more options in the software than any other headset

- Many more options may lead to confusion for casual users

- High price: Buy Valve's Controllers seperately, RTX2080ti, two Basestation (HTC 1.0 or Valve 2.0, doesn't matter)

No information yet on Audio, but a friend who talked to them at VRDays said "best take the Deluxe, they're HiFi from a well-known brand".

If money is not the question, by all means, go for this one.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

Take HP Reverb (version 2), this is the best quality vs price. It kills the others now.

Edited by YoYo

I'm also thinking about getting the Reverb.  The Reverb Pro (about $100 more than Reverb) has a 114 Deg FOV which I think is slightly better than the Rift S.   Also, reviewing some through the lens comparisons, seems like the clarity is about as good as one could get with today's hardware.  

I'm loving my Rift S.  Clarity is outstanding, I think the headset is comfy and you absolutely can't beat the price for the quality of picture, etc.  Plus I like the other Oculus exclusive games which is an added bonus.  I use Apple Earbuds plugged in and audio is great.

That being said...I'm very intrigued with the Pimax 8kx and I'm possibly looking at grabbing one in the future once more public reviews come out on it.

Edited by AuburnAlumni
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, II./JG1_Labroisse said:

I'm also thinking about getting the Reverb.  The Reverb Pro (about $100 more than Reverb) has a 114 Deg FOV which I think is slightly better than the Rift S.   Also, reviewing some through the lens comparisons, seems like the clarity is about as good as one could get with today's hardware.  

Hardware wise, the only difference between the Reverb and Reverb Pro is that the Reverb has a fabric face cover while the Pro has a leatherette cover. 

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Hardware wise, the only difference between the Reverb and Reverb Pro is that the Reverb has a fabric face cover while the Pro has a leatherette cover. 

Ah, you're right.  I read a review that said the Reverb had a smaller FOV, but just checked the HP website and they are both 114 deg.  Not sure leatherette is worth an extra $100.

13 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

After testing every headset in the current gen, I would recommend the Pimax 5K+ but: There are the 8K+ and 8KX around the corner, with the Vision kit and Modular Audio Strap (MAS) included.

They are the only VR 2.0 headsets that are around the corner:

+ Biggest FOV by far

+ Best resolution/clarity (2x 4K, for each eye)

+ No SDE

+ Best comfort

+ Rocksolid tracking

+ Many more options in the software than any other headset

- Many more options may lead to confusion for casual users

- High price: Buy Valve's Controllers seperately, RTX2080ti, two Basestation (HTC 1.0 or Valve 2.0, doesn't matter)

No information yet on Audio, but a friend who talked to them at VRDays said "best take the Deluxe, they're HiFi from a well-known brand".

If money is not the question, by all means, go for this one.

Okay, a lot of good  info in these and other responses.  Please tell me, what a "base station" is/does, and what is meant by "controller." Also, if I am ONLY going to use VR for flight sims, do I need these things? Is the "controller" the actual headset? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

PS, rig I am buying comes with RTX2080 ti w/ 11 gigs DDR6.

Thank you!

Hi Chris455

Some systems use base stations and others inside out tracking. The Index needs at least one base station. A Rift S doesn’t need any.

A controller refers to hand controllers and they are not required for IL-2. VR games like Beat Sabre use them. 

Exactly. Basestations cast a laser grid into the room which the headset picks up for tracking. These systems work entirely without any cameras.

In DCS, you can use the hand controllers to flip switches in the cockpit which I find a neat addition, but they are not required in IL2.

Odyssey + here. Since this technology is in its infancy someone has said to buy with an eye to upgrade, meaning you might want to consider cost when, after you get hooked, you'll be looking for the next greatest and latest in VR tech.

I agree TWC_Target, I purchased on the basis that I may get about two years use and then will probably want to upgrade to the latest tech, however the experience of immersion right now is just amazing.

23 minutes ago, Snowy said:

I agree TWC_Target, I purchased on the basis that I may get about two years use and then will probably want to upgrade to the latest tech, however the experience of immersion right now is just amazing.

Indeed - for me immersion is King.

8 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

In DCS, you can use the hand controllers to flip switches in the cockpit which I find a neat addition, but they are not required in IL2.

Ruh-roh.............................you can actually DO that??? :biggrin:

My 5 cents:

After 3 month of flying with Rift S I sold it an bought 34" WQHD LCD. In the course of time I more and more choose to play with LCD and not with the headset and finally I found out I do not want to use it at all. Sad to say but Rift S had too small resolution, as wel as too small FOV to enjoy the game in a long term. For the WOW effect of being in the real cockpit it is awsome, but for the long time flying I cannot recommend it. So I decided to wait 2-3 years for the next gen of headsets and graphic cards and meanwile enjoying beauty of sharp and wide LCD screen with TrackIR and 100-120 FPS.

Edited by Tapi

Best thing you can do is try them all and keep the one you really like. Selling on second hand you don´t lose a lot of money.

If no one satisfy you you can always come back to monitor.

In my opinion is is difficult to understand people who  come back to monitors, but there are a good number of them around here. Of course, every one on their own. VR is very subjective.

I made a poll to understand why people is not in VR two years ago:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/33300-why-you-are-still-not-in-vr/

it would be interesting to make it now again.

I prefer the HP reverb customer over the pro edition. Better price and I prefer the face cover material of the customer version. 

Edited by Gomoto