BM357_TinMan

Just shocked everytime

I spend almost all my time "flying" in DCS but every now and again, I fire up IL2.  I did this last night and, every time I do, with only a few exceptions, I am always impressed by the overall superior "polished" feel of IL2 GB and the image quality in VR.

Hands down, the overall platform of IL2 GB is just … better.  The hard work the developers have put in over the years really tells.
and

I use VR and there is another area where the developers have done and outstanding job.  I am always amazed at how good everything looks when I am "flying" in IL2 GB.  Not that the other looks bad, just that this looks so much better.

Obviously, there is always room for improvement, but, thus far, one thing that can be counted on is, improvements, fixed, feature additions, etc, happen here and happen faster, more often and more consistently.

• Upvote 11

It's a great sim. I love both Il-2 and the other one, but Il-2 is lightyears ahead in polish and playability in VR. Butter.

We can sum it up, for everything that IL2 is - DCS World isn't.
I have tried to return to DCS World few weeks ago after spending many months with IL2, and it was harder than I expected.
The awful separation of the menu from the game, the menu navigation, quick mission resetting the user settings all the time, the bad performance.
Oh the performance. I can max IL2 with 4K resolution and play 99% at 60 FPS while I cannot even get a good FPS at 2K medium settings in DCS World.

All these things makes me appreciate how great this simulator is.
It has its flaws, like a good radio communication and some bugs with the launcher, and sometimes the AI is really that stupid, but even with these flaws I am always thinking of playing this game instead all the new ones that comes out lately (Outer Worlds, RDR2, Star Wars etc).

• Upvote 1

I’m an old DCS-player also. There isn’t much to play. In IL2 you have career mode, so you have always something to fly, but in dcs you must have mission builder in hand... 

6 minutes ago, vino said:

I’m an old DCS-player also. There isn’t much to play. In IL2 you have career mode, so you have always something to fly, but in dcs you must have mission builder in hand... 

I like many campaigns in DCS. And can fly them over and over again. They got good actors making them very authentic. As a singelplayer DCS is far better. But that goes for those I fly MI 8 huey SU 25 KA 50 A 10 c and so on

I like both but if I only have time for a quick blatt then IL-2 VR is my fun usually taking on a couple of He-111's in my trusty P39...;)

They are both outstanding, but the slight edge in VR performance and all the new content will have me playing IL-2 almost exclusively this Winter.   😄

This is like the old classic "PES vs FIFA" thing, except that IL2 is like the good of PES + the good of FIFA.

Room for improvement? Well yes, thousands of improvements have to be done.

And let me tell you something, I tried XPlane11, which is considered by many "the best civilian aircraft sim available". But... I still prefer IL2, the flying feeling (feels) much better, fluent and immersive, with high doses of realism (I know, I never flew a WWII plane in my life... but the flying feeling is definitely more real).

really wish someday devs can expand to civilian aircraft planes... One can just dream....

I have no problem stating Great battles is the best combat flight sim made bith in graphic and smoothness. Also the feel of flight. 
But when it comes to campaigns DCS is by far best in realism and the feeling being out there fighting with someone. 
I think the complexity of it with voice actors having a genuin discussion. Like in mi 8 campaign oil fields. The crew constantly mocking eachother. But as a combat sim visually and complete in special in mp GB is unbeatable. 
But sometime I like to do pilotstuff. Setting nav aid stop fires in one engine. Do the start procedure. DCS and GB fulfill eachother they simply do not compete

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

Il2 GB is our WW2 air war...😃

I' m in love with SiM since September 2014...and still love this Great SIM....and I believe in the future it will grow more..

Of course there are rooms where improve...but it' s great and provided me tons of hours of fun!!

Have to try VR yet....and when will be...leave home will be very difficult🤣

Edited by ITAF_Rani
  • Upvote 1

It just feels so damn natural. Things feel heavy and wet and loud and real.
And I pretty much just QMB these days.
Nice menus too, and I will NEVER get sick of that beautiful music.
Best part is there's always something new in the works to improve it.

• Upvote 1

There is no question 1CGS has done an outstanding job with their VR implementation with IL-2 GB.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2019 at 3:27 PM, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I agree. As a combat flight simulator this is premium. 
my choice of what to fly is based on wether to fly chopper or ww2 

Also the main reason why i purchased DCS. Much prefer IL2. DCS is like some sort of Bi-Polar sibling of IL2.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:41 AM, vino said:

Someone did put together a dynamic campaign generator for DCS. Search for "Dynamic Campaign Engine"

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I hear it is good. 

I will say, I thoroughly enjoy both games, and expect I will also thoroughly enjoy that upcoming civilian flight sim too. All of them are magnificent games in their strengths, and in a lot of ways, it feels like we are in a Renaissance of flight simulators, and its only going to get better as the new engines come on line, and new hardware comes out to drive them. I have not felt this excited since I first played the original Il-2.

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2019 at 4:22 PM, RhumbaAzul said:

Also the main reason why i purchased DCS. Much prefer IL2. DCS is like some sort of Bi-Polar sibling of IL2.

I hope you didn't pay much for DCS, lol!

1 hour ago, mpdugas said:

I hope you didn't pay much for DCS, lol!

Anything i've bought DCS wise was pruchased in one sale or another, i'd say that i'd spent about the same on both DCS and Il2. Value wise they aren't comprable though.

I have completely different experience. DCS looks and works much better in VR. The virtual world in IL2 is lifeless comparing to DCS and its AI traffic. Persian Gulf map is a masterpiece. I love flying there in Huey.

I play both DCS and IL-2 for different reasons, and both are showing their age with the change in technology and such. 

The big gorilla in the room (RIP Harambe) is MFS2020...to a point it'll be highlighting the relative age/shortcomings in other simulators, both combat and GA

It won't have VR support at the beginning and who knows how long it gonna take to implement it. Devs never planned it and only changed their mind a few months ago. Also I am not fan of 3D objects generated from photos. It looks good from high altitude but on the ground level it won't be much better than Google Earth.

1 hour ago, 357th_Dog said:

I play both DCS and IL-2 for different reasons, and both are showing their age with the change in technology and such. 

The big gorilla in the room (RIP Harambe) is MFS2020...to a point it'll be highlighting the relative age/shortcomings in other simulators, both combat and GA

FS2020 is definitely going to shake things up but as impressed and excited as I am about that sim, there's things that DCS and IL-2 do that it hasn't even begun to look at. IL-2's damage model is still currently the best on the market and I have a suspicion that FS2020 won't have anything like that - just as an example of one feature. Making a great GA sim doesn't translate to a great combat sim.

Not to say that it won't shake things up. DCS and IL-2 will need to keep pushing forward but frankly I think they are well positioned to. X-Plane 11 is going to need to pull a rabbit out of that hat.

I have nothing to contribute here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, marklar said:

It won't have VR support at the beginning and who knows how long it gonna take to implement it. Devs never planned it and only changed their mind a few months ago. Also I am not fan of 3D objects generated from photos. It looks good from high altitude but on the ground level it won't be much better than Google Earth.

They use AI for mapping though, so it should be levels above google maps and what we've seen from the videos indicates so.

19 hours ago, RhumbaAzul said:

Anything i've bought DCS wise was pruchased in one sale or another, i'd say that i'd spent about the same on both DCS and Il2. Value wise they aren't comprable though.

Sorry, it was meant as a joke, since the base DCSW is free...

I agree, however, that the whole Great Battle Series, i.e. BoX and RoF lumped together, are far superior in content to the bugalicious DCSW and its many broken modules.

14 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

FS2020 is definitely going to shake things up but as impressed and excited as I am about that sim, there's things that DCS and IL-2 do that it hasn't even begun to look at. IL-2's damage model is still currently the best on the market and I have a suspicion that FS2020 won't have anything like that - just as an example of one feature. Making a great GA sim doesn't translate to a great combat sim.

Not to say that it won't shake things up. DCS and IL-2 will need to keep pushing forward but frankly I think they are well positioned to. X-Plane 11 is going to need to pull a rabbit out of that hat.

I think a lot of what FS2020 is looking to accomplish has as much to do with design choices and available resources as technology.

In a civilian flight sim, you don't have to run a lot of complex AI, nobody's going to care if other aircraft flying around have realistic flight models, and the AI you do have doesn't have to do anything more than takeoff, navigate, and land. There is no requirement for complex maneuvers. No need to render explosions, tracers, AA. No need for a complex damage model that responds to different ammo types, hit locations, or anything of the sort. 

In a civilian sim, you have to get the aircraft functionality, the flight modeling, and the visuals down. In a combat sim, you have to do all of this and make for engaging combat that doesn't break the game with its processing requirements, which is a tall order. Thirty layers of realistic clouds is great until you have to also render a swirling dogfight over an active ground target firing flak into the air.  It also really looks like the game offloads a lot of the calculations for clouds, weather, and terrain to their servers to deliver it via the Internet, something that I imagine most current CFS developers would struggle to provide. If you've got a mediocre or metered internet connection, its not clear that all that data is going to be available to you, either.

And of course Microsoft can afford to develop something and lose money for several years just to establish a product and gain market share. Hell, they may be doing this just to make Bing maps more relevant and showcase their streaming cloud computing tech. The streaming aspect fits in with their current push to get people onto their game streaming 'ecosystem'. They can lose money on it hand over fist as long as it accomplishes what they want for the company as a whole.

• Upvote 2