Jump to content
Han

Developer Diary 235 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Soilworker said:

Re: Rudders falling off.

Okay this is going to sound elitist as f**k (especially as I'm rocking Slaw RX Vipers) but why are we putting effort into fixing axes spikes which is a hardware quality problem and not an IL-2 problem?

 

Don't get me wrong, I had rudder spike problems back in my RoF days with my old G940, but I fixed them (loose terminals on the pot lugs, just crimped them a bit more, problem solved).

 

Most hardware axes spikes are caused buy an actual physical problem, people spend ages and ages trying to fix it with software whereas all you need is 5 minutes with a pair of pliers, a soldering iron or a can of WD40 (or sometimes a combination).

 

I'd just rather the devs spend their time working on what I personally consider more important issues.

 

Just my 2 cents.

 

Other than that I'm loving IL-2 at the moment, finally got a new Pimax 5k+ to replace my Oculus (which stopped working) in time for Bodenplatte, been flying my D9 on a few missions, still haven't had to protect 262s taking off yet though.

 

 

Rudder pedals tend to be one of the more expensive pieces of hardware in the game setups IMO, and taking them apart and soldering them better is not without risk. Imagine you took a reasonably well working set of rudder pedals and destroyed them. Now you are out 200 dollars, or more. If my pedals went down now I'd have to quit playing until I could replace them, as my stick doesn't have a twist axis and I don't have the money to replace them.

Plus a lot of the more inexpensive HOTAS setups use twist sticks and some of them have cheap pots or they just get worn down. The average player probably isnt capable of taking it apart in a way that's likely to succeed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Soilworker said:

Re: Rudders falling off.

Okay this is going to sound elitist as f**k (especially as I'm rocking Slaw RX Vipers) but why are we putting effort into fixing axes spikes which is a hardware quality problem and not an IL-2 problem?

 

Don't get me wrong, I had rudder spike problems back in my RoF days with my old G940, but I fixed them (loose terminals on the pot lugs, just crimped them a bit more, problem solved).

 

 

Ya, you're right, it does sound elitist.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

 

There is a mod fix for that in the meantime that may be of use to you, jsyk - at bottom of this page  :

(Oops, I see you already found it...but others may not know)

 

Yep. I´ve already found it. Thank you 😉

I hope it works. I dont want to fire up the game tonight. I still have a huge hangover from yesterdays irish pub action...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soilworker said:

Re: Rudders falling off.

Okay this is going to sound elitist as f**k (especially as I'm rocking Slaw RX Vipers) but why are we putting effort into fixing axes spikes which is a hardware quality problem and not an IL-2 problem?

 

In a word, Marketability.  The company is doing what it can to ensure that new users who may not have optimum hardware might still have a positive customer experience in the hopes that they will tell a friend about it, who may also buy into the title, who will also have a positive customer experience, and tell a friend who may also buy into the title, and they'll tell a friend, and they'll tell a friend, and they'll tell a friend, and so it goes.   

 

And then the company has more income to spend on the cool zoomy new other features that you and others want.  And then we all profit. 

 

Plus you get more new players in MP to shoot down using the groovy slick pedals that you wanted everyone to know you bought.  😉

 

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The videos show off the game in an exiting way, very well done... let's hope they get to a wider audience too!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice update as per usual. I continue to be impressed with the vision the developers have for the way forward in this series. It's a big part of why I continue to be a supporter.

 

Excellent videos also. Very impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

 

In a word, Marketability.  The company is doing what it can to ensure that new users who may not have optimum hardware might still have a positive customer experience in the hopes that they will tell a friend about it, who may also buy into the title, who will also have a positive customer experience, and tell a friend who may also buy into the title, and they'll tell a friend, and they'll tell a friend, and they'll tell a friend, and so it goes.   

 

And then the company has more income to spend on the cool zoomy new other features that you and others want.  And then we all profit. 

 

Plus you get more new players in MP to shoot down using the groovy slick pedals that you wanted everyone to know you bought.  😉

 

 

Good point ☝️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, deckerrunner said:

"... " some one get on your six and you turn into  a black and lock on that finsh you eneyways, you could fly way way slower , and have a china tea set with you, with littie pinky sticking out , I just don't no what to say eneymore.

Then you probably where doing something wrong before the patch, wouldnt you say?

 

 

It is a new thing , and as such we all need to adjust.

But the reception has been mostly positive.

And it's rewarding those who fly like there Ies a real Pilot inside the plane...

 

If you are blacking out. The guy on your 6 is too. UNLES he is manouvering in a smarter way.

Edited by =FEW=fernando11
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Rudder pedals tend to be one of the more expensive pieces ... Now you are out 200 dollars, or more. 

 

Actual $200+ rudder pedals don't use cheap, low quality potentiometers - that cause spikes, they use contact less sensor (Hall, magneto resistance), eg. VKB T-Rudder, MFG Crosswind, VPC ACE, Tm TPR, Slaw Viper. So they are virtually spike free.

 

Will be ironical dumb down game physics due low quality controllers, since "entry-level" controllers (and some with prices that don't fit in this category) use low cost/quality potentiometer - subject to spikes, exception VKB Gladiator.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, deckerrunner said:

me every think was perfect, till the black out ect ect, patch , I told a few friend and spread the word about this game  and got them on board but the patch that changed it is the black outs and lock on one.im seeing good flyer going in to the ground all the time and you no there fucked and , that that . sod they kill 3 planes done some bombing and was trying to get home but then some one get on your six and you turn into  a black and lock on that finsh you eneyways, you could fly way way slower , and have a china tea set with you, with littie pinky sticking out , I just don't no what to say eneymore.

 

This is mostly gibberish.  But if your point is that you’re sad that you can’t defy the laws of gravity any more, I have no sympathy for you.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, deckerrunner said:

and you are ?

 

Very happy with the new physiology changes.  It’s one of the best changes that they’ve added.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, deckerrunner said:

but it my gibberish, and you are ?

 

Dude, give it a rest. This isn't the topic to rant about whatever it is your ranting about.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

 

Actual $200+ rudder pedals don't use cheap, low quality potentiometers - that cause spikes, they use contact less sensor (Hall, magneto resistance), eg. VKB T-Rudder, MFG Crosswind, VPC ACE, Tm TPR, Slaw Viper. So they are virtually spike free.

 

Will be ironical dumb down game physics due low quality controllers, since "entry-level" controllers (and some with prices that don't fit in this category) use low cost/quality potentiometer - subject to spikes, exception VKB Gladiator.

 

 

There could be some truth to what the Dev's have said about spiking, as I use CH pedals (potentiometer) and have experienced the departing vertical stab issue. Finally bought MFG Crosswind pedals 10 minutes ago, to go with my  VPC Mongoose T-50M2 Base which arrives in 5 days time, hope they're as good as people say they are.

 

Edited by bzc3lk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some great new updates listed in there. I'm really looking forward to the cloud pixelation issues being mitigated as that one always bugs me with taking screenshots. Even if its minimized I'd love to see that.

 

Good to see those kinds of updates going in even when content buzzes along. Great job folks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! Glad to hear fixes and improvements are now high on the priority list. I for one wouldn't mind the next few bigger patches being just general improvements like better fuel tank management/selector, self sealing tanks and realistic fuel loss depending on what tank is punctured and similar systems that would improve all existing aircraft. Surely we can wait a little longer for the next theater. 👍

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

 

Actual $200+ rudder pedals don't use cheap, low quality potentiometers - that cause spikes, they use contact less sensor (Hall, magneto resistance), eg. VKB T-Rudder, MFG Crosswind, VPC ACE, Tm TPR, Slaw Viper. So they are virtually spike free.

 

Will be ironical dumb down game physics due low quality controllers, since "entry-level" controllers (and some with prices that don't fit in this category) use low cost/quality potentiometer - subject to spikes, exception VKB Gladiator.

 

My CH pedals cost more than 200 dollars because of exchange rate and shipping. It’s a significant expense. They’re not going to dumb down the physics, just find a way to deal with random spikes.

Edited by RedKestrel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!
I hope some of the general improvements planned include fixing those little things that get tiresome, like not being able to save convergence settings for different aircraft.

It's also really annoying having to set my stabilizer and zoom to what I like EVERY time I start a Quick mission. Wish i could just save that someplace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....while 122mm HEAT rounds can penetrate up to 120mm of armor, enough to engage any tank in the game from any angle.

You probably meant from any side,  I think that hollow charge cant go through if it hits armor at angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Developers, 

 

I know that you are working hard, and good to hear those news. I've mentioned (in other topics) the (1) ridiculous AI, (2) the nonsense (or missing) radio communication, and the (3) deficiency of the campaign process. If I am not mistaken this is basically wanna be a WWII combat sim, and believe me these are crucial points to achieve that. There are smaller issues, which doesn't require a huge amount of work (such as the above mentioned stuffs). Please receive it with my greatest respect (some whishfull thinking on my side): 

 

1) Make the squadrons virtually more personalized. Detailed logbook (with the location/dates/types of aerial victories). Individual planes (historically accurate letters/numbers for squadrons, persons). Historical aces in your squads (at least the well-known ones), they can be iron man balancing between the real story and virtual reality. Maybe modelling the level of morale and the so called tour-of-duty (25/35/50 missions for US fighter pilots). 

 

2) Make the campaign more complex. I think you solved the problem of ground combat well, with creating and using time periods. But it can be more excited if you can add some other critical elements such as logistics (limiting the number of fuel/ammo and personell) and maintenance interval.  

 

3) Make the campaign little more accurate. I think many of us (dealing with WWII combat sims) have heard about Bodeplatte and counted with a ground attack mission on German side on the 1st of January 1945, but when I reached the date, nothing has happened. (The generated mission for that thay was intercepting a recon plane.) In my opinion you can handle it with built in some scripted missions.   

 

4) Please decide the size of the units. I know this can be problematic, but you should decide the level of units in campaigns. On the German side we can choose between Gruppe's (Groups), which consisted of 3-4 Staffels (Squadrons), but on the US/British side we can enter into Squadrons (12-16 planes). (Above all, regarding with VVS, you modelled the regiment-level, which is basically equal to a Group.) I think this is easy to correct. Let us choose the Gruppe's later on, but in the campaign menu a Squadron/Staffel will be generated according to the well-known system. (For eg. If you choose II/JG 52., it will become 5./JG 52 or 6./JG 52 etc. in the personal campaign menu). The highest achievable rank will be Squadron/Staffel commander. 

 

5) Time compression. Please consider converting virtual flight time to a calculated (real/counted) one in the pilot's log, because it is funny when your squadron mates has over 100 hours with 1-5 victories compairing with your 20-30 after a couple of hours. Above all, as I have noticed, the carreer's progress mainly depends on the flight time, not on the victories. Please figure out a method, which can handle this issue and we can receive more (post-calculated) hours after the missions.

 

6) Separating some of the plane-subvariants. The FW 190F/G was different type, please separate it (as well as Bf. 109G6, and G6/R6 or R6/U4). There were no field options to convert FW 190A's to F/G's as it was used only by ground attack units. The FW 190A-8 seems to me a little bit slower than it was, but I am sure you did a great job on modelling the flight characteristics. (This is the strongest point in the sim.)  

 

Sorry for the long topic, thank you for "hearing" me. There are so many options in BOBP, which can cover the major events of the European air war (hope later there will be high-level strategic bombing missions). My deepest hope is a professional Nightfighter campaign. (Hoping that St. Trond and Venlo is not modelled in vain.) I can help you in researching if needed.

 

Many thanks, congratulations! Keep up the good work.

 

Yours sincerelly.   

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Another important improvement is for Tank Crew users that play in VR - now you won't have to rotate your head when looking through the gunsight and rotating it using the mouse. Like most improvements for the tanks, it will be also useful for aircraft - operating turrets in VR will be easier.

 

YES!!!!!

Does this mean I will be able to use the "bomb sight" on the Po2?  Or does that need another fix for "face forward when not manning the gun"?

Edited by Wolferl_1791

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merci à toute l'équipe! Continuez à nous rendre heureux!
De superbes vidéos .. Pourrais-je avoir le titre de la bande-son qui accompagne la vidéo de Flying Circus  .. la musique est superbe !...Merci d'avance

Edited by Serdalf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

 

There could be some truth to what the Dev's have said about spiking, as I use CH pedals (potentiometer) and have experienced the departing vertical stab issue. Finally bought MFG Crosswind pedals 10 minutes ago, to go with my  VPC Mongoose T-50M2 Base which arrives in 5 days time, hope they're as good as people say they are.

 

They are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HH Pauk, that video is one of the best flight sim vids I have EVER SEEN!

 

- The quiet start with the beauty of the terrain, the slight rise in intensity with the ships, then the ground war opening up and then... - air combat mayhem!

 

- Fantastic script and very very well put togehter, just flawless really. So intense and exciting to watch. The final scene of the tank buster sliding towards the camera... WHOA!

 

----

 

Shamrockonefive, I also loved your Flying circus vid. Excellent stuff all around. Just as I was thinking "hmm, too bad he hasn't shown us the beautiful cities"... you did just that! Kudos on a fabulous job to you too, thrilling stuff.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if you did it this update or last update but clouds look great now 😎👍

7 minutes ago, Freycinet said:

HH Pauk, that video is one of the best flight sim vids I have EVER SEEN!

 

- The quiet start with the beauty of the terrain, the slight rise in intensity with the ships, then the ground war opening up and then... - air combat mayhem!

 

- Fantastic script and very very well put togehter, just flawless really. So intense and exciting to watch. The final scene of the tank buster sliding towards the camera... WHOA!

 

----

 

Shamrockonefive, I also loved your Flying circus vid. Excellent stuff all around. Just as I was thinking "hmm, too bad he hasn't shown us the beautiful cities"... you did just that! Kudos on a fabulous job to you too, thrilling stuff.

 

 

Best VR sim on the market

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally some love for Tank Crew in VR. Thanks!

 

S!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh cool, I saw the pictures of the transmission. Do the devs have drawings? I'm working off some original drawings on the Tiger 2. These are exact, full GD&T. I'd love to find some more parts to model in SolidWorks. 

Untitled Project 2.jpg

Untitled Project.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 5:29 AM, WheelwrightPL said:

When are indestructible parked planes going to be fixed ? Is it investigated ? (being such a glaring and immersion-killing bug)

It's not a bug.

 

The mission builder have to change the hit point of the target. Each static object have hit point that the mission builder can change. He can increase or decrease the armor of the target. So, if you have that problem, contact the mission builder.

 

By default, all static objects have 25 000 hit point, which is too much for some object (static plane, static vehicle, fuel, ammo, ...).

 

I agree that it would be easier if each object have the right hit point.

 

Quote

adding the binoculars for tank commanders.

Very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Freycinet said:

HH Pauk, that video is one of the best flight sim vids I have EVER SEEN!

Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" We plan to start the work on minimizing the pixelization issue before the end of this year "

 

This would be very much welcome. I'd like to see poor IL-2 finally come off my dusty shelf exiled there by the white pixel-messes on the sky (with Balanced preset in VR). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Habu said:

It's not a bug.

 

The mission builder have to change the hit point of the target. Each static object have hit point that the mission builder can change. He can increase or decrease the armor of the target. So, if you have that problem, contact the mission builder.

 

By default, all static objects have 25 000 hit point, which is too much for some object (static plane, static vehicle, fuel, ammo, ...).

 

I agree that it would be easier if each object have the right hit point.

 

 

You just described a bug: some static units have the wrong values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...