"Target FPS" - what does it do?

Can anyone tell me what does the setting "Target FPS" under Graphics settings do?

1893311637_TargetFPS.png.ab2c8c124361ccef4e81ac1cdd4f0b5f.png

What I can tell is that it is limiting FPS based on the value set. Is it only the limiter or...

Does it also do some optimizations to achieve the targeted FPS more easily? And most importantly, does it induce any additional input lag?

Thanks

8 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Can anyone tell me what does the setting "Target FPS" under Graphics settings do?

It is a convenient way to limit the frame rate to the chosen value. One could want to do this for several reasons, such as reducing the load on your system or making stutters less noticeable by forcing a lower but more stable frame rate.

Does it also do some optimizations to achieve the targeted FPS more easily?

It has no effect on optimization unless "Dynamic resolution factor" is not set to "Full".

And most importantly, does it induce any additional input lag?

Although I have not tested this, I believe that there will be no additional input lag unless you choose a value that is below your monitor's refresh rate.

8 hours ago, RFG_Hisl said:

20191114231412_1.jpg.a24032606b0eabc8158d92b7151ca96a.jpg

Hover the mouse over the Settings.

Thanks, seen that. But that doesn't really explain much or how it works. The tool tip explanation was the basis of my questions here.

8 hours ago, Leon_Portier said:

So if you get below the target FPS, the game will reduce the resolution by the factor set in the dynamic resolution slider.

It basically just makes the picture blurry but doesn´t help in any notable way.

I've tried that, and the blurry image looks horrid.

So, if I keep it at 100% and set an FPS limit - it will then just function as the FPS limiter?

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

If I understand it correctly, an FPS limiter keeps your graphics card from working too hard. If your GPU is too loaded it can actually increase your input lag.

FPS limiter is a bit different than VSync. I assume that's what Target FPS is.

Target FPS is the number of frames per second the game tries to run at. If you're at less than this, it will reduce the resolution using the resolution scaling factor, until you hit the Target FPS. If dynamic resolution factor is 1.0, the setting does nothing. If dynamic resolution is less than 1.0, this setting will make the game look like garbage. I would advise against using it.

Yeah, setting dynamic resolution to anything lower than 1.0 looks horrid. But what about just using FPS limiter? Does it increase input lag or simply caps the FPS?

This video led me to posting here:

Because I am currently running no V-Sync, either in-game or in NV CP - in order to get the lowest input lag. Using V-Sync in combination with NULL will give the smoothest visuals when on G-Sync monitor. I can confirm that (conclusion in the video).

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
On 11/20/2019 at 6:18 PM, [DBS]TH0R said:

Yeah, setting dynamic resolution to anything lower than 1.0 looks horrid. But what about just using FPS limiter? Does it increase input lag or simply caps the FPS?

Because I am currently running no V-Sync, either in-game or in NV CP - in order to get the lowest input lag. Using V-Sync in combination with NULL will give the smoothest visuals when on G-Sync monitor. I can confirm that (conclusion in the video).

Input lag on a flight sim where you're using (presumably) a joystick? Seems like an odd thing to worry about. I can see that for twitch games like an FPS, but a flight sim?

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Input lag on a flight sim where you're using (presumably) a joystick? Seems like an odd thing to worry about. I can see that for twitch games like an FPS, but a flight sim?

Could input lag be perceivable in head tracking or VR? Otherwise yeah I don’t see it as a real issue. The topic is interesting though. 

17 hours ago, Alonzo said:

All valid points there. Precisely because no one has bothered to compare a flight sim in this regard.

The inception for this idea came when I switched from a run of the mill 24" 16:10 (1200 vertical) Dell screen, to the current 2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync screen with esports grade low input lag. I started to notice more head on shots landing and overall more snappy game play, like this one:

Better snapiness is also noticeable on Track IR movements. Though, it took me a while before I fine tuned the in-game settings to my liking.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

If in VR be sure to increase the target frame rate in monitor mode (also it should not influence VR by default). Before I increased it to 144hz the VR frame rate was locked to 60 FPS when the HUD is turned on. (Probably a bug).