Sign in to follow this  
HagarTheHorrible

Night of the lesser beasts

Not all aircraft are created equal !

On the Jasta 5 server would it be possible to have an evening, or map rotation,  every now and again, that excludes the top performers ?  If we had a map rotation that excluded the Camel and D.VIIf then we might have a bit of fun with the second tier aircraft such as the Dolphin, Albatross etc, that generally tend to get stomped upon, unless flown by very skilful, dedicated pilots or when facing inept opposition.

Less able pilots, such as myself, tend to avoid anything that doesn't offer the best chance and if you constantly/but not necessarily always find yourself up against the best pilots, in the very  best aircraft, you end up flying only the aircraft that seems to offer the best chance.

I do appreciate that you could just end up with an empty server as everyone just goes somewhere else, in order to find their favourite aircraft, but most pilots flying WW1 online are probably more dedicated  former RoF players than quick thrills furball aficionados.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

I do appreciate that you could just end up with an empty server as everyone just goes somewhere else, in order to find their favourite aircraft, but most pilots flying WW1 online are probably more dedicated  former RoF players than quick thrills furball aficionados.

What we need more than anything are people flying online regularly. Limiting options is not a good idea at this point in time. The J5 Flugpark formula seems to work, for a variety of reasons, so let's not change it too much. There are enough other servers out there to experiment with.

Less able pilots, such as myself, tend to avoid anything that doesn't offer the best chance and if you constantly/but not necessarily always find yourself up against the best pilots, in the very  best aircraft, you end up flying only the aircraft that seems to offer the best chance.

I do sympathise with this, and I recommend to find likeminded people to fly together with. That is: join a squadron. Of course you could still find yourself in a situation where you're flying the best planes as part of a squadron (or get attacked by a squadron flying the best planes while you're not), but typically you will have more options.

17 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

I do sympathise with this, and I recommend to find like-minded people to fly together with. That is: join a squadron. Of course you could still find yourself in a situation where you're flying the best planes as part of a squadron (or get attacked by a squadron flying the best planes while you're not), but typically you will have more options.

Totally agree. Safety isn't just in numbers, but in the tactics those numbers can apply. Plus it's a blast flying with mates!

I think maps with  limited plane-sets will come. JG1 ran one without D7s and Spads, which may have been attempting to create a 1917 British Sector and i wouldn't be surprised if we see more maps with limits on numbers of D7fs and Camels.

Edited by US103_Baer

I'd love to have the "original RoF release nostalgia" night - Spad 13, Dolphin (we have no N.28), Fokker D.VII, Pfalz D.IIIa (because Albie is bugged). Plus two seaters.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Upvote 1

Whats wrong with the Albie ?

While the range of aircraft in FC, at the moment, isn't great, I do think we would see a greater mix of types, flown by a wider range of players, if we had the top dogs kept in the kennel for a short period.  There are a bunch of 2nd tier aircraft just screaming to be let out and used by those who aren't super skilled or die hard masochists.

Alby's overheating sometimes when it probably shouldn't, I think at lower altitudes.

Having said that I've flown it a lot last few days and not had much problem.

I think dynamic use of throttle helps..

8 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Spad 13, Dolphin (we have no N.28), Fokker D.VII, Pfalz D.IIIa (because Albie is bugged). Plus two seaters.

Stay tuned....

• Upvote 1

Albie consistently gets overheat damage under 500-1000m when flown over 1200 RPM (while thermometer shows normal operating temperatures). 

Maybe it's telling us something ?   

Over compress, over compress, over compress.

Have you tried cocking your ear and listening to what it's been saying recently ?

No, the same engine in D.IIIa and D.VII, operating at same altitude and showing the same thermometer readout and (lack of) radiator steam are fine. Overcompressed engine we have in Cl.II and it works nothing like that.

Bug, bug, bug.

I'm convinced they should look if the engine data is all from pre-2014 RoF first thing; this thing works like it had 2009 output and tolerances and 2015 compression behaviour.

I was joking 😁.

Maybe the engine isn’t over compressed, but someone forgot to tell the radiator that or maybe the radiator is saying  “Ok, I might struggle down low if you blow hot, but I could really do with you having a bit of a boost to keep up with those 1918 types.”.

I can’t recall, did the Alb get an engine upgrade in RoF ?

Edited by HagarTheHorrible