Marvel

My first experience and my impressions about VR

Hi guys, it's been almost a month and a half since I started my experience with VR through the HP Reverb viewer and here I report my impressions.

Being my first experience with VR maybe many of my impressions are normal for those who have been using VR for the longest time.

1) seems to always see through a thin veil of mist. On the monitor the colors are more vivid.

2) The characters of the writing on the cockpit are not perfectly visible and, unless you approach to read them, they are blurred, especially on small writings.

3) The identification of the aircraft, lacking the sharpness for what I said in point 1), is more difficult and unless it is close enough to others aircraft it is not very easy.

4) Steam VR for windows is a bit of a pain to start. If the headset is connected to the PC, SVRFW signals that the headset is not connected and at that point I have to disconnect it and reconnect again.

5) The impression I had wearing the headset, mainly on the fighters, is that the cockpits is smaller and narrower than I imagined in real life. It is true that on the 109 or on the FW190 it was definitely narrow and small, but for example, on the P-40, I thinked it more spacious.

6) Clouds: very close ones appear with very few details, they seem almost fake. Those far away are very beautiful but they lose a bit of detail compared to seeing them in the monitor.

7) Generally a bit of everything is affected by the loss of sharpness, definition and detail, but I think it's a VR limits.

Here are the settings I use, both in IL-2 and in Steam:

01-Graphics settings.jpg

02-Steam VR Home.JPG

03-Steam VR.JPG

04-Steam VR video 1.JPG

05-Steam VR video 2.JPG

I tried to get the best graphics settings but I am not an expert, so I will certainly have made mistakes. Obviously if you have suggestions to give me to improve the graphics and my experience with VR I would be very grateful.

Ciao!

Marco

Edited by Marvel

My settings t'day , maybe not t'morrow ...

I'm curious and read / learn ..... And I'm reverb too 👍

DD9480C3-0DFA-40EF-B1B6-30D365182BFF.jpeg

FC6CE260-3398-4A46-B77E-68A11ABCA01C.jpeg

2C373FE3-09C3-434D-8495-16EB5B3518A3.jpeg

D4D34A1F-A830-44B2-98BA-3E3CDB705E7B.jpeg

AD37610C-2E62-4A9D-AF95-716649A4E389.jpeg

4AC75F30-AACA-4642-8F1D-8F2E32184A01.jpeg

Can your pc handle running the headset at its native 2160x2160? That’d be ideal. 

As far as the mist comment, I agree. VR isn’t as vivid as on the monitor. The OLED panels in the Vive Pro help a bit. When using my reverb the world looks a bit more dull. The Index is somewhere between the two. 

Pre , i have tried just now in steam app beta 188 % in Berloga and it's was ok .... I have had the 188 before but I don't know what's the ideal for reverb 

42 minutes ago, H_Steinbaur-VR said:

Pre , i have tried just now in steam app beta 188 % in Berloga and it's was ok .... I have had the 188 before but I don't know what's the ideal for reverb 

You need to start SteamVR via the application "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR". Not via "SteamVR" or by selecting SteamVR in the WMR environment.

Then you'll have the normal resolution relation. https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

Scg wolf 

Eeeeeh , Im a reverb vr and that's were I put my settings .... I have the Mixed Reality Portal , and steam vr beta ....? 🤔

Another one you mean 

3DD8A89C-BBF8-4E67-A36F-A25F8091A7A1.jpeg

Turn off Anti-Aliasing and HDR in the game->graphics options. 

The other advice given is good too.

I'm not sure on what the Reverb's screen is like but gamma @0.8 seems a little low. Try out 1.0?

Hi guys, thanks for your replies and suggestions.😀

@all: why I have not "IL-2 Sturmovick BoS" in my Steam VR settings drop-down menu?

@Pre : my monitor resolution is 1920x1080 and game has the same resolution. How can I set 2160x2160 as you suggest?

@peregrine7: ok, I will try to set anti-aliasing and others as you suggest

Ciao!

Marco

Overall, VR definitely has its limitation, both in performance and visually. One has to decide what the personal preference is. To me its a no brainer.

I only fly in VR, found good setting for a good flying experience (only SP). It still looks and runs better than 2D sims 10 years ago, that's more than enough for me.

But i have to admit, every time i see pics and game play of non VR footage i am shocked of the near photo realistic look, but as i said, cant go back to 2d flying, just feels flat and more like steering a plane, than actually flying it.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Hi guys, thanks for your replies and suggestions.😀

@Pre : my monitor resolution is 1920x1080 and game has the same resolution. How can I set 2160x2160 as you suggest?

The 2160x2160 is the SteamVR super sample resolution, it has nothing to do with the screen resolution in the settings.

In the past it was recommended to lower said Monitor resolution (640x480), since you fly in VR, Monitor isnt really needed, and i supposedly saves resources.

How much the impact of that setting really is, i dont know.

Hi Ironk79, well, after I tried VR I think is almost impossible for me to go back to 2D. One thing is to fly looking at the cockpit, one thing is to be in it (IMHO). As you said are personal preferences...

Ciao!

Marco

10 minutes ago, ironk79 said:

Overall, VR definitely has its limitation, both in performance and visually. One has to decide what the personal preference is. To me its a no brainer.

I only fly in VR, found good setting for a good flying experience (only SP). It still looks and runs better than 2D sims 10 years ago, that's more than enough for me.

But i have to admit, every time i see pics and game play of non VR footage i am shocked of the near photo realistic look, but as i said, cant go back to 2d flying, just feels flat and more like steering a plane, than actually flying it.

The 2160x2160 is the SteamVR super sample resolution, it has nothing to do with the screen resolution in the settings.

In the past it was recommended to lower said Monitor resolution (640x480), since you fly in VR, Monitor isnt really needed, and i supposedly saves resources.

How much the impact of that setting really is, i dont know.

Sorry for my silly question mate, where can I found settings for SS res in Steam VR? Could you post a screeshot, please?

M

Edited by Marvel

That is the slider you posted in your pictures. I don't use Steam VR at this time, so somebody correct me if i am wrong.

You can chose SS (your 100% /120%) setting per application, or general (like the 150% ) in your "Video" setting.

Ok, so will I move the slider till obtain 2160x2160 or the closest values, right?

M

The video one will overide the other with the box ticked.  With that box ticked all apps will run at that. As it is your game will be running at 100% not 188%.  

• Upvote 1

Yes, move the SS slider up to 2160 x whatever (steam won’t let you set exactly 2160 for both). 188% on video tab, or 188% for il2 if video is set to 100% (just double check the resolution per eye if you choose the second option). 

• Upvote 1

Your settings all look pretty good for the most part. However, in my experience, turning 4k textures off is huge. It doesn't have an effect on FPS, but I was getting stutters, and un-checking it removed them completely. Personally, I can't distinguish between 4k and regular textures in VR anyway.

EDIT: I also prefer my AA at 2, but everyone has their own tastes. The jaggies are way too harsh without AA imo, but at 4x the planes become difficult to spot.

Edited by TheWarsimmer

10 hours ago, 71st_AH_Macro said:

The video one will overide the other with the box ticked.

I thought the SS% on Application and SS% on Video are multiplicative. 

Best way is to adjust SS in just one place, either Application or in Video.

1 hour ago, TheWarsimmer said:

I also prefer my AA at 2, but everyone has their own tastes

Yes, with Reverb you don´t really need AAx4, with AAx2 is more than enough IMHO.

No the ss on vidoe will overide the application one if the tick box is ticked on video tab..  Set video ss to 188% and keep box ticked you will see the difference if you turn aa off to test. 

With box ticked all apps will run at % set in video tab.  

9 hours ago, TheWarsimmer said:

Your settings all look pretty good for the most part. However, in my experience, turning 4k textures off is huge. It doesn't have an effect on FPS, but I was getting stutters, and un-checking it removed them completely. Personally, I can't distinguish between 4k and regular textures in VR anyway.

EDIT: I also prefer my AA at 2, but everyone has their own tastes. The jaggies are way too harsh without AA imo, but at 4x the planes become difficult to spot.

I have come to same conclusion.  I run at 200% ss and 2x aa .  4x aa blends contacts into backround making it hard to see and no aa jaggies just too ugly for me even with 200% ss

Edited by 71st_AH_Macro

Hi guys, yesterday I set SS both at 180% (2160x2112) and 188% (2208x2160) either I choose the 188%. I also set HDR off.

The improvement was obvious: definition and details have improved and performance has not been affected (circa 65 to 90 fps).

This afternoon I will try to set AA to x2 as Chiliwili and Thewarsimmer suggested.

Do you suggest to keep only video SS at 188% and set other slides, SteamVR, SteamVR Home, at 100%?

Ciao!

Marco

Edited by Marvel

If you have video slider set at 188% with the tick box ticked it doesnt matter what the application slider is set to, the video one overides it.  Its not an either/or.  

If you want different applications to run at different ss% then do not tick the box in video, set your ss% in the applications tab.

If you want all applications to use the same ss% then use the video tab slider with the box ticked and forget the applications tab.  THE VIDEO SS% SLIDER WILL OVERIDE ALL THE APPLICATION TAB SLIDERS WITH THE BOX TICKED.  

Thanks for info 71_st_AH_Macro, I understand. 😀👍

Just a question: why I have not IL-2 BoX in my applications tab?

Ciao!

Marco

On 11/13/2019 at 11:01 PM, Ivanowitch-VR said:

Scg wolf 

Eeeeeh , Im a reverb vr and that's were I put my settings .... I have the Mixed Reality Portal , and steam vr beta ....? 🤔

Another one you mean 

How can you not understand when I even searched and provided the link for you? Well, you can keep on looking through mist and false supersampling values. Or look for fixes. Here, another try:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

You use this App to start SteamVR when you are on a Windows Mixed Reality headset. You do not execute SteamVR itself. That's the only correct way.

P.S. It is recommended not to use the beta version of SteamVR, but do as you please.

23 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You use this App to start SteamVR when you are on a Windows Mixed Reality headset. You do not execute SteamVR itself. That's the only correct way.

It is true and almost obliged. When I start VR I must to have headset disconnected. If it is connected and I try to start VR from Steam, the app doesn't find the headset.

So I must: connect the headset and immediately WMR starts itself, then I start VR from Steam and it runs ok, then I start IL-2.

In this time I use beta version to test motion reprojection.

Ciao!

M