FeuerFliegen

Tutorials for modulating RPM in relation to throttle.

Hello all,

Are there any manuals/tutorials on how to best modulate the difference between RPM and throttle, possibly for specific planes?  I typically think that in normal situations it's best to keep them about the same, but I hear of some Soviet planes that are best left at 100% RPM, and I saw a video where a pilot would sometimes have an RPM much higher than this throttle, such as 70% throttle, 85% RPM.

Assuming the manifold pressure was the same, is there benefit to having a higher RPM?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

• Like 1

Bump... anyone?  I was really hoping for some insight... this is the one subject that I haven't seen discussed on the forum regarding how to fly the planes in this sim, unless I missed it.

This is the best I can find.  How to properly adjust MP and RPM is toward the end of the video.  You might want to check the specs tab of the plane you've chosen and watch the tutorial video that applies to the prop governor type that the plane has.  

• Like 1

Thanks... I've actually seen those videos before.

I guess one question that might help me understand this better- assuming manifold pressure is the same, is there any benefit to raising RPM?

It really depends on the engine/aircraft you are flying.

The Tempest for example, requires you to set the RPM to 3150 in the cruise, and 3700 for T/O, Climb and Landing.

Its more about finding the sweet spot where the engine doesnt have to work so hard or drink so much fuel to get you where you want to go.

Some people say to think of it as the gears in a car transmission, so the faster you go the more you want to pull that RPM lever back. 100% RPM is first gear. 75% (aircraft dependent) is 4th gear. You dont drive down the highway in 1st gear, nor do you start from full stop in 4th gear.