Rigsby

Will there be other maps?

Can anyone tell me if there will be other maps for this Sim in the distant future? I really do like this game, but I do feel the snow map hides a lot of the landscapes features that are there. When I fly at low altitude, I can see all the different rise and falls in the hills. However, I can't help thinking that if this had been Summer, that those hills would have been much clearer to see even at high altitude. The game is excellent even at this early stage though. 

Edited by Rigsby

You could do a search. No one knows, but they anticipate if successful then more maps/theaters/planes.

I would have thought a new map in the more immediate future than a distant one.

At least I hope so.

No official word... but we've all speculated that we could see a summer or autumn Stalingrad map and/or something to do with Kursk or Kuban battles in a slightly more distant future. Seeing as the I-16 has been confirmed by the devs as a type they intend to add to the mix and that the I-16 was still a fairly significant type in service during the summer and fall of 1942 that we could see a map to go along with it.

For now the Winter will do nicely but indeed it would be nice to have some other seasons at some point. I do feel like we're getting ahead of ourselves sometimes but I also think that many are incredibly excited about this and the speculation is a wonderful example of hope for a very interesting simulator future.

I will NOT search!

I have an original question!

I don't care if my question may have been answered before!

My question is The Original!

Answer me now!

Well?

I am perplexed by the above???????

I will NOT search!

Answer me now!

Well?

Have you ever heard of the Savannah cat? It's a hybrid between a domesticated house cat and an African Serval. Their demeaner is closer to a dog's than a cat. They are quite protective of small children that they are acqauinted with and fierce defenders of their homestead. They do not mind being walked and are large enough that when on their hind legs stand almost as tall as a human of medium stature. They are amazing animals and quite possibly the epitome of the home defender beating out even the most loyalist of dogs. They are also super cuddly and cute. Meow!

• Upvote 8

I am perplexed by the above???????

It's quite obvious. No one uses the search function. Entirely too many individuals ask the same questions over and over that have already been answered. Is this the dark ages of the internet in this corner? No one has ever googled anything before? Same thing, just type in what you want to know in the search box. If it turns up with nothing, then new topic. If there are more than one topic returned then it's been touched on before. If the search function is to not be used then there is database space being wasted, it could be wiped monthly to get rid of the "useless" data no one bothers to search for.

• Upvote 2

I WILL YELL AT WHO IT PLEASES ME TO YELL AT!

Not a bad suggestion, so long as the mods are willing to do it. Then again, threads that are "thumbtacked" are ignored just as much as the search function. So, it's all a lose/lose. Great suggestion though.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1

Let's be gentle folks. Not everyone reads the forum as often as we do... nor does a search provide a comprehensive and exhaustive answer to the question. New information could have surfaced. At the very least we could point newer/less frequent visitors to the 'What we know so far' thread (http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/146-what-we-know-so-far-battle-stalingrad/) which has some great information in it.

It was a fair question (albeit a repetitive one around here) and we can show a little class.

• Upvote 6

Let's be gentle folks. Not everyone reads the forum as often as we do... nor does a search provide a comprehensive and exhaustive answer to the question. New information could have surfaced. At the very least we could point newer/less frequent visitors to the 'What we know so far' thread (http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/146-what-we-know-so-far-battle-stalingrad/) which has some great information in it.

It was a fair question (albeit a repetitive one around here) and we can show a little class.

Well said Icefire.

Exactly.

I will NOT search!

Answer me now!

Well?

I did use the search function, but would you care to look what a search for "New maps" brings up? My question also mentioned the landscape and how the snow seemed to make it look flat at medium altitude. I didn't see anything about that on my search and I am not going looking for needles in hay stacks.

Edited by Rigsby
  • Upvote 1

Like these topics?

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/146-what-we-know-so-far-battle-stalingrad/page-2?hl=maps&do=findComment&comment=99023

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/5429-did-developers-let-slip-secret-about-maps/?hl=maps

You'll find a lack of concrete answers for a reason, this current map/scenario/battle/release is still not even halfway through completion. Once this is actually done, perhaps then is time to wonder about further development.

Do not forget this is half a 777 game and they make more maps for ROF when they are ready and you are ready to pay for it?!

I've managed to convince myself that there will eventually be a Kursk map. This sim follows closely the ROF engine and they've gradually been adding new maps/aircraft to the game, I believe the latest is a channel map for that sim.

They've got the bare bones of a Kursk combat flight sim here with quite a few of the base aircraft already modelled - they'll just need upgrading variant wise in some cases, in addition many of the tanks and vehicles have already been done, don't forget the T-34 was still the T-34-76 at Kursk. Added to that is the inclusion of the 37mm cannon gun-pod on the Ju-87d; we all know where that particular upgrade was used with great effect - Kursk!  

It's almost certain that any future map would be a summer map for the simple reason to make a change, and there's no more famous air battle on the eastern front than that over Kursk.

Hopefully if the game is a success, and from what I've seen there's no reason why it shouldn't, then we can look forward to some maps and planes from the Western Front one day - personally I'd love nothing better than to see the 2 year air campaign over Malta modelled as an authentic combat flight sim. 

There has only been one official additional map of real areas for RoF (maybe 2, if you count the small Verdun dogfight map). Of course there were two retextures of the main map and that added a bit of versatility. I hope the Stalingrad map will also get an autumn retexture eventually. I really like the map and wouldn't want it to be restricted to the snowy landscape only.

I guess the next new map will focus on the Kuban area. There they can make good use of the water engine they made for the RoF channel map and they could add naval warfare to it. Kursk would be good too of course, but probably too limited to ground-attacks, which will play a big role on the Stalingrad map aswell.

I doubt they'll move to a mediterraen / North-Africa area yet, because that would be a rather drastic change and they would need to make a good bunch of new planes for that.

There was plenty of air combat over Kursk as each side tried to prevent the opposition from reaching each others ground attack aircraft. With regard to ground attack it was huge in scale - that might be the only problem; reproducing that on pc without negatively affecting FPS!! Could well be they go for something less hugemungas that most people could run without lag (no pun intended) in which case the Kuban could be good choice and include the Black Sea (not dissimilar to the English Channel) as you say.

I hope that one time will be maps for Battle of France 1940 :)

Edited by II./JG1_Baron

Easy fellas!

Not everyone reads as much of this stuff as we do,and search doesn't always bring up what you are looking for.

• Upvote 1

Easy fellas!

Not everyone reads as much of this stuff as we do,and search doesn't always bring up what you are looking for.

Very well said, thank you!

Any chance of reposting the pictures in those threads here? :) Unfortunatly you cant see them unless your logged in to that forum.

You can log in to Russian speaking forums with same credentials you use here... Same e-mail and same password you used for registration here.

Edited by 102nd-YU-Shtele

I hope that one time will be maps for Battle of France 1940

If enough peoples from the community, with some talent in texturing and 3D modelling, decide to work on it.... it's possible.

If not, then you probably can forget it.

Interesting! I didn't know there were already some community driven map building projects for Battle of Stalingrad. Great! Some smaller scale maps will be great for online battles.

Interesting piece of history but I feel like it'd be a fairly boring air combat game/sim. The "Phony War" period had some air combat but not a lot. You'd have the slaughtering of the Fairey Battle squadrons and a fairly average showing for the RAF that did deploy. The French Air Force desperately tried to get some aircraft to the frontline and make good use of it. I've read some of the air combat that took place so its there... but it's fairly one sided. When you commit money and resources to a project you hope it will have a wide appeal and this period doesn't have a lot. It's like Khalkin Gol and the Kuriles and Aleutian campaigns... interesting but very limited.

If enough peoples from the community, with some talent in texturing and 3D modelling, decide to work on it.... it's possible.

This. There have been a few attempts at producing such a scenario including one that started when Cliffs of Dover was announced (as the 'Storm of War' project) but it died from lack of interest/time.

If the interest is getting a few key French fighters into a WWII air sim then I'd look towards the D.520 fighting the Allies during the North Africa campaign. The star players would be American, British, German and Italian aircraft but a D.520 could be part of that list. Obscure but interesting to think about anyways :)

II./JG1_Baron, on 11 Apr 2014 - 09:07, said:snapback.png

Interesting piece of history but I feel like it'd be a fairly boring air combat game/sim. The "Phony War" period had some air combat but not a lot. You'd have the slaughtering of the Fairey Battle squadrons and a fairly average showing for the RAF that did deploy. The French Air Force desperately tried to get some aircraft to the frontline and make good use of it. I've read some of the air combat that took place so its there... but it's fairly one sided. When you commit money and resources to a project you hope it will have a wide appeal and this period doesn't have a lot. It's like Khalkin Gol and the Kuriles and Aleutian campaigns... interesting but very limited.

True. Some WWII campaigns dont have place on CFS.

I think Kuban and his battles for air superiority will be fine as "next" map, place for Airacobra's. :)

"The area saw some of the most heated fighting of the Eastern Front, with daily engagements of up to 200 aircraft in the air." (Wiki)

More interesting than Kurst - basically another land battle with air support-  there's more interesting places for set a CFS on WWII than in famous names battles...

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1

There was more air combat over Kursk than the Kuban - fighter to fighter; both sides deployed many hundreds of aircraft to that campaign and a significant proportion were fighters, without those the ground attack aircraft would have been useless. Bergstrom devoted a whole volume of his "eastern front air war" title to the battle. Several hundred aircraft in the air at once for many consecutive days/weeks of fighting. All types were involved and don't forget this isn't just a fighter simulation.

Like I mentioned earlier I'd love to see Malta covered for once. Oleg did originally say that he wasn't going to put it into il-2 1946 because he intended to use the new "storm of war" series (remember that!) to cover it, well we all know what happened to that, it went the way of the dodo. Malta was the most bombed place in history and the air campaign lasted over 2 years virtually without pause  involving 3 airforces. Despite this it's NEVER been covered in a combat flight sim. Huge range of aircraft and missions too and maybe it could be tied in with Africa later. Those that served on Malta and in the BoB said Malta was tougher, can't imagine Malta being ignored if uncle sam's boys had been there!!.

Yes, there are quite a few good options! Both the Kuban battle and the Kursk battle are large significant battles on the Eastern Front. Kursk would give us a very large land war with heavy aerial support and a lot of updated weapon types being brought forward to the battle. Kuban would also bring us some updated types but also a large number of lend-lease aircraft making the battle inherently interesting from that point of view. Both involved a large concentration of multiple thousands of aircraft in near constant daily combat for the duration of the battles.

Malta and North Africa in general haven't been used all that much to date but it'd be great to see a properly focused North Africa and/or Malta campaign. Malta would have a variety of aircraft and is very interesting as it wasn't just the battle over Malta but the RAF also staged anti-shipping attacks back against the Axis forces at the time too. North Africa would be very similar aircraft (a few different types) and the potential to bring in American aircraft as well depending on if its depicting the battle in the eastern or western desert.

All in all you have the potential for a large variety of fighters, bombers, attack aircraft and the like flying in some significant moments in history. Any of those would be great :)

The answer in the form of a question;

Why should in the game write "Stalingrad map winter" if the creators did not also release a map called "Stalingrad map autumn" or other?

• Upvote 1

Last Team Fusion "'Friday update''  states that they are now able to import 3D models into ClOD.So you guys eagerly wanting Malta,N Africa or BoF scenarios,it is best to look that way.

That map of Velikiye Luki looks nice :salute:

So will this sim be community modifiable? People can make their own mods?

So will this sim be community modifiable? People can make their own mods?

The map structure and the 3D objects structure aren't very different from RoF (for which mods have been made to)

One mod is allready in development by the russian community, the Velikye Luki map.

Draw your conclusion from these facts.

Keep in mind, "modded" items (limited to 3D objects such as maps/horsies/cars) will be limited to "mods on" only. Which means limited to missions that are "mods on" only or MP servers that are "mods on" only. There won't be a mix, which is great because it keeps the "use at your own risk" items separate from the officially supported items.

Also, as far as "modding" goes - items such as new planes, FM changes, weapons changes, the like will be not be allowed in "mods" mode. Mods in this case are access to the SDK to build objects/maps, not the "mods" of other games that aren't built through a SDK but actually hacked in/hacked together.

So "mods" will be limited to stationary objects and maps, but still - both are very welcome and its always great to see what maps people can create, and if they are good enough then they will be included officially.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Hi, pilots!

It was back then in August 2013 when we decided to make a pretty small map for online missions specifically for La-5 and FW-190 battles. But as we studied the Velikie Luki battle operation we've come to conclusion that the idea grows as does the map (~170x100 km)

21188121.jpg

After the NDAs had been signed we received 1CGS's permission to get proper tools and started the work.

Long story short, the general map is now ready. Rivers, lakes, forests, roads and railroads were all accurately recreated and now are being tested in the beta version. Particular part like small towns and villages have also been modeled and added.

luki.jpg

(reds dots - development completed)

Bigger towns took quite a lot of effort to make because we used historical prototypes (as much as we could considering the engine specifics and our limited time). We used Luftwaffe`s reconnaissance air photo and military maps of the Red Army General Staff for this.

newel.jpg

All large cities such as Nevel, Novosokolniki, Toropets, and Velikie Luki have unique 3D-objects created by our team of enthusiasts map makers :)

Location of all airfields that were used in this operation were determined for both sides (including ice-airfields on the lakes).

Also we wrote the missions-scripts for small campaigns for all types of aircraft in the game.

Here are some pictures showing the current stage of the work:

Various villages:

post-276-0-25574000-13954336841.jpg post-276-0-52886900-13944882631.jpg post-276-0-13295400-13963824701.jpg

post-276-0-98077400-13950091431.jpg post-276-0-12933800-13954337231.jpg post-276-0-61854600-13954336571.jpg

Novosokolniki:

post-276-0-82089200-13961284191.jpg post-276-0-79738400-13961283761.jpg post-276-0-01075100-13961290461.jpg

Nevel:

post-276-0-89504100-13974133891.jpg post-276-0-72465200-13974122361.jpg post-276-0-49712300-13974122461.jpg

post-276-0-14757600-13972462301.jpg post-276-0-52028600-13974122621.jpg post-276-0-86725400-13972027741.jpg

• Upvote 21

Zeus, this is the best news since the announcement of the sim.  Excellent work.  Can't wait to fly over that terrain.

• Upvote 1