Hi gents,

after many test  now it seems to be clear:

Repairing heavy motor damages (especially damages of the oil-system) causes a complete freeze that forces you to finish IL2 by task manager.

Please fix this bug!

Edited by simpit1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It´s difficult to comprehend why the developers waste time in fixing the speed of closing mechanism of the canopy of Me 262... instead of fixing this very important bug??? :(

Maybe they don't find a way to reproduce the problem, or they don't have enought information to fix the problem.

Which mode do you use : Single, multiplayer dogfight or cooperative ?

Which unit are you using to RRR ?

Have you a process to reproduce the problem ?

• Like 1

Multiplayer :

Choose any plane of your choice.

Park inside RRR area.

Let some other plane drop bombs on you or let artillery or tanks shoot you... Anything that causes immediate fatal damage does the trick.

As soon as your engine gets killed, DServer locks up.

:drink2:

Mike 

Singleplayer:

same effect as Mike has described. Especially in case of heavy oil-system-damages.

I estimate if the developers prevent oil-system damages all over, the problem could be solved!

Edited by simpit1

Ok, i'll try to reproduce the problem.

Edited by Habu

On 11/30/2019 at 9:45 AM, Habu said:

Maybe they don't find a way to reproduce the problem, or they don't have enought information to fix the problem.

Which mode do you use : Single, multiplayer dogfight or cooperative ?

Which unit are you using to RRR ?

Have you a process to reproduce the problem ?

Here are 2 Single Player practice missions, one has a P51, one has a Spit V. If I get light damage I can get RRR. 

If I have broken glass, parts mission, etc. The game locks up and I have to restart my PC. I've tested this a lot. Basically seems if there is too much damage, broken wing, prop, glass, etc. I get a lockup. Light bullet holes in the wings, no broken parts, works fine. 

Might try just take off and do a rough landing, or spin the plane and break something then shut the engine off, otherwise you have to dog fight, take damage, and land, etc. 

Hope that helps... 

DW-Dogfight-Practice-P51-vs-109sA3s110s.zip

Thx for the process. It gives me more information to try to reproduce the problem. i hope i can test that asap.

I could verify the bug only in the case of motor damages especially oil-system-damages.

With other words:

If you have caught a bullet of an attacked bomber and the bullet hits the motor area and you have oil on the front window - you can be sure that you will get the bug!

No problem wit fuselage-, chassis-, wing-, flaps- or bullet-hole-damages!

@ WWDriftwood: I think you have overlooked the oil-damage. If you have heavy damages at the fuselage of course you often also have damages at the motor- and oil-system. So the repair-function principally works fine up to the "oil-system-repair" and then freezes!

Edited by simpit1

4 hours ago, simpit1 said:

I assume this varies from plane to plane. 

I've flown my single player practice mission switching the player plane to a Yak7b, Spitfire Mk.VB, and now a P51 and get the same bug. But I haven't tried this with any other planes. 

So if I get some light wing damage, I think I've had a fuel leak and damage to my elevators, lost trim and it all repair fine, did my RRR with no issue. Typically I'll just get some light bullet damage in the wings if I make it back to the airfield. 

Any time in any of these planes I get damage where something is broken off, bit or pieces of plane damage, missing wing, flaps, broken glass, bullet holes in glass, damaged gauges, broken mirror, etc. It will repair then lock up the game where I can hit ESC and see the menu to finish, restart, etc. but clicking on any of them doesn't work. I have to go to "task manager" and shut down the game. But typically I can do that and have to restart my computer. 

I've tried un-checking the "repair and reheal" which seem to make no difference if there checked or not - this was suggest as a possible fix / With or Without repair/reheal checked it made no difference / no fix for me. 

Multiplayer - flown a mission online with my squad mates over the last 6 weeks and we use the RRR service truck.

Same symptoms, light damage it works, broken parts it locks up. / spit / yak7 / p51

Had a few members have to close out there game, one PC restart needed, the rest seemed they could just end task and restart the game.  

Far as I know; Server has never locked up because of the RRR service truck.

So I didn't overlook the oil damage, I'm sure that is one of the things that can cause the problem and maybe more so with particular planes. If it's related to a graphics glitch; maybe it changes from user to use based on there setup, I have no idea, I'll leave that to the programmers. In my tests where I break the plane on the runway "no oil damage just the wing" it locks up after repair. 

I've had about 30+ tests purposely getting shot up or spinning the plane out to brake it on purpose. I still use the RRR only now; if I have too much damage; I just land and restart the mission to avoid the lockup, if the engine is broken and going to shut down I use a different runway or just restart the mission and avoid the lockup.

Anyways, hopefully that helps clarify what I see all the time as I fly and continue using the RRR service truck. 

6 hours ago, WWDriftwood said:

Far as I know; Server has never locked up because of the RRR service truck.

Interesting.

I can assure you that the DServer does lock up.

Did you host your multiplayer sessions from DServer.exe or did one of the players host them?

With DServer, I never got to the point of locking up my (Client) game, the DServer always locked up before.

:drinks:

Mike

Ok!

...then lock up the game where I can hit ESC and see the menu to finish, restart, etc. but clicking on any of them doesn't work. I have to go to "task manager" and shut down the game. But typically I can do that and have to restart my computer. 

I've tried un-checking the "repair and reheal" which seem to make no difference if there checked or not - this was suggest as a possible fix / With or Without repair/reheal checked it made no difference / no fix for me. 

I made just the same experiences!!! Perfect described!!

Edited by simpit1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

interesting.

I can assure you that the DServer does lock up.

Did you host your multiplayer sessions from DServer.exe or did one of the players host them?

With DServer, I never got to the point of locking up my (Client) game, the DServer always locked up before.

I'm sure it does lock up, I was just stating I have not "yet" experienced this myself when flying the squad missions which are hosted using a Dserver. I'm sure the different planes or mission logic, and individual pilot circumstance "condition of the plane" come into play. Lot's of variables here. 

I'm sure when the Dev's have a chance they'll look at this, I'm just posting info to try and help. 

Being able to use the RRR service truck in a single player/MP mission is a game changer allowing me to extend my mission, so I'm hoping it gets fixed... 

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for clarification.

I totally agree, RRR is something we've been longing for a long time and I've been excited when I saw it's implemented.

Even more so, I've been surprised to see that it's not only "not working as expected", but even killing servers.

One of the more populated servers (TAW or WoL, can't remember exactly right now) disabled the feature right on day one because of this.

And that's been told here.

Which makes me wonder why none of the devs/testers seem to have noticed any of this before.

Anyway... we tried to make it work for quite some time but eventually disabled the feature on our DServer as well.

Not because of strict evidence that a certain reproducible action would yield to a server crash - the closest to being reproducible indeed was the major engine damage - but rather because the DServer crashed every other day or so when RRR was enabled, where it's yet to crash again since we disabled it more than a week ago.

Mike

35 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Which makes me wonder why none of the devs/testers seem to have noticed any of this before.

Because we can't test all the possibilities, and we didn't detect that problem.

And, on my server, we didn't crashed it and we are using it.  So, as you see, i didn't detect it in the beta, and i didn't detect it in the public version.

Edited by Habu

4 hours ago, Habu said:

Because we can't test all the possibilities, and we didn't detect that problem.

Agreed - I was using this for several weeks with no issue "and I still continue to use it." Typically if I could fly back and RRR I "was not all broken and busted up.": Just out of ammo, maybe a few bullet holes, light damage. If I was busted up I just didn't make it back for RRR. It wasn't until I did manage to make it back that the lockup happened.

We still use it on the server mission, and some of the guys get locked up sometimes, I think at first no one suspected it was the RRR since it was random. 

95% of all my lockups were because I was testing for this and purposely breaking my plane or getting shot up to see what would happen. 

So I still use the RRR service truck provided it's light damage and only once in a while I forget or break the plane and get a lockup if the engine shuts off and tries to repair before I can restart the mission. And all my up front RRR tests were just using my fuel and rearming with little to no damage so I could have gone a long time without seeing this. 

Good luck with the testing... 

Thanks.

WWdriftwood, if i understand, you have some players who crash when they RRR, and not only the dserver.

Is that right ?

If yes, was it using the dserver, or in self hosting, or single player ?

How many RRR object (GMC) are you using in the same area if you know ?

How many player RRR at the same time if you know ?

My personal test are single player only and I'm using the ford truck..........

if i understand, you have some players who crash when they RRR, and not only the dserver.

Not sure what you mean? (dserver/player only crashed/haven't seen the server crash)

How many RRR object (GMC) are you using in the same area if you know ?

Looking at the Multiplayer mission, I believe is a dserver, I can see there using "4 - zis5.txt at each airfield for RRR, repair/reheal are unchecked, 500m radius... "

How many player RRR at the same time if you know ?

I'm not sure about how many pilots  RRR at the same time, fairly random, other than at the beginning of a mission and everyone's engines are off so it automatically does a repair which is not needed. "I only know of one time I landed after another pilot and RRR with no issue while he ended up locking up, difference in damage is unknown."

Not sure that helps....

So what vehicle are you using for RRR? I used the ford based on the other thread in general discussion on RRR working, I see in the MP mission he's using the zis5...

Single player - If you have a vehicle setup that you think works, please post the vehicle with the settings and I'll swap out my ford truck and try it. 

6 hours ago, WWDriftwood said:

if i understand, you have some players who crash when they RRR, and not only the dserver.

Not sure what you mean? (dserver/player only crashed/haven't seen the server crash)

Dserver is the dedicated server. So i understood that some of your player has their game which crashed.

For RRR, my first test were with GMC-ccckw.

For the next test, i will use GMC-ccckw-fuel

I know what a dserver but we never had the server crash and your clarification sounded like I stated the dserver was crashing and your asking if it was both but it's not, no dserver crashes. only Game crashes/lockups for the multiplayer - same as single player. 

Thanks, I'll try the gmc-ccckw and / -fuel to see how that works. 

Ok, i misunderstood from te begining. I thought that the dserver crashed.

For information, i ran some tests (i need to do some others) with another tester yesterday evening, and i can reproduce the problem. I have to work a little bit on a video showing the problem and run other tests before reporting to the dev.

@Habu ... SAS_Storebror is reporting dserver lockups / above. 

Thanks for the time your spending on this!

Hope this gets some attention; would be a really welcomed fix... 

At that time, i didn't find anything related to RRR which crash the dserver. Maybe, i'll find something with other tests i want to run.

I confirm that oil radiator crash the client strangely. The screen is frozen, but you still have access to the menu, and the map when you do a finish mission. You also have teh message of changing side, if you select another airfield. It's only when you select Leave server that your game crash and that you nedd to kill the task . I lost the mouse, and my buddy too. We can reproduce that when we want. We have a process for that, link to the Oil radiator as you wrotte.

Could be this effects different planes in a different manner, but all my testing has been done in a Spit mark9.  I start to roll down the runway, and as i pick up speed i raise my gear.

Game freezes every time when it gets to repairing Propeller.

All the test has been done in multiplayer (dogfight) using the dserver with 4 players.

We finished the others tests and redone it yesterday.

- We found that only the oil radiator crash the game of the player. All other things has no effect (in our test) on the game.

- We never crashed the dserver.

- We found others problems not listed in that topic which need to be retest and reported if they are confirmed. But' it's not a game crash which is the main topic of that thread.

The problem with the oil radiator should be fixed in the next patch.😉

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Habu said:

We never crashed the dserver.

Ah dammit.

That just means that this issue still remains unsolved, which in turn means we will still not be able to use RRR on our Server.

Mike

Or its not link to the RRR use, maybe another factor that you assossiated to the RRR problem which has not been detected at that time.

Storebror, do you have a mission where each time you use the RRR crash the dserver, i can have a look and try to run test with it.

Great news, nice to have the bug confirmed. Hope any fix will also fix using RRR in single player. Got to use it last night while flying single player, nice to land, reload, and get back in the fight... no damage so no lockup; kept the action going. 

On 12/14/2019 at 12:01 AM, Habu said:

Thanks SimPit1 & Habu + testers!

1 hour ago, WWDriftwood said:

Great news, nice to have the bug confirmed. Hope any fix will also fix using RRR in single player.

Do you talk about the oil radiator problem in single player ?

It's very hard to reproduce it in single player. I hope it will be fixe as it is in multiplayer, but in most of the case, bugs are fixed for all the game mode.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:56 PM, WWDriftwood said:

Here are 2 Single Player practice missions, one has a P51, one has a Spit V. If I get light damage I can get RRR. 

If I have broken glass, parts mission, etc. The game locks up and I have to restart my PC. I've tested this a lot. Basically seems if there is too much damage, broken wing, prop, glass, etc. I get a lockup. Light bullet holes in the wings, no broken parts, works fine. 

Might try just take off and do a rough landing, or spin the plane and break something then shut the engine off, otherwise you have to dog fight, take damage, and land, etc. 

Hope that helps... 

DW-Dogfight-Practice-P51-vs-109sA3s110s.zip 164.63 kB · 0 downloads

Easiest test is to just start the plane, spin it on the runway to break a flap or prop, then shut it down..... should lock you up. 

On 12/14/2019 at 8:01 AM, Habu said:

All the test has been done in multiplayer (dogfight) using the dserver with 4 players.

We finished the others tests and redone it yesterday.

- We found that only the oil radiator crash the game of the player. All other things has no effect (in our test) on the game.

Correct, I can confirm it for single-player!

Would be great!!! Thanks in advance!!

• Thanks 1

Aircraft Improvements
12. The game won't crash when repairing a dirty airplane canopy;

A first small step in the correct direction!

On 12/14/2019 at 8:36 AM, Habu said:

Storebror, do you have a mission where each time you use the RRR crash the dserver, i can have a look and try to run test with it.

I don't have such a thing, but when I re-enable RRR on our training mission I expect it to start crashing about once a day again.

All user reports indicated that crashes usually happened when either planes fell victim of enemy bomb raids or heavily damaged aircraft landed right into the RRR area (which is pretty small).

I'll re-enable RRR, give it a try, and if the server starts crashing again (it didn't for more than a month now, never crashed since RRR was disabled, which was the only change to the mission) I will send you the mission file(s) (it's three of them, each with the very same effect).

Mike

No lockups or restarts needed so far! Nice!

However I seem to be having trouble starting the engines back up a lot of times after the more extreme damage. I need to test it more. Depending on damage, say the engine stops running due to damage; so I didn't shut the engine off, then it repairs. Shutting down the engine and restarting engine doesn't work. Pressing "E" nothing happens, or it shuts down (powers off) but won't start...  

But the typical spin the plane around to bust a flap, fixes the flap and I'm up an running again, previously, it would lock up the game. I've been repair/reheal/ed after being hit on the runway. But the engines wouldn't start. 

8 hours ago, simpit1 said:

A first small step in the correct direction!

As simpit1 said...  going in the right direction... 

Finally had a very successful test. 

Dogfight, perfect scenario; completely shot up, glass, oil, smoke, fuel leaks, pilot hurt, barely made it in with bandits still shooting, spun out after touchdown, broke a flap, repair, reheal, rearm, backup up and fighting, no lockups, very cool... 

Engine restart I have to be careful with the Mk.V hitting the "E" to many times messes up the sequence and sometimes causes the engine to not start. Hit "E" wait for complete start, if you miss the mixture and it doesn't start, you have to let it completely shutdown, give it a few seconds, then hit "E" again, mixture up to start. But hitting "E" while it's in the process of starting/shutting down can cause it to not start at all... 

So when the damage killed the engine and you hit "E" thinking your shutting the engine down, after the repair the engine may start back up because you hit "E" so don't hit "E" again, just wait to make sure you know what the engine is going to do, shut down, or start, then use "E"

Wow, that's a mouthful, but important to know... 

I have the full track but it's over 40 mb and the forum only permits 5 mb uploads... completely understandable. 

More tests, basically just practicing and using RRR as needed. 

SINGLE PLAYER MISSION / GOES IN /MISSIONS FOLDER

DW-Dogfight-Practice-SpitV-vs-109sA3s110s.zip

Thank you DEVs........... 

Edited by WWDriftwood

Next bug:

After successful repairing and rearming starting the motor of the Me 109 G6 cannot be practised. The automatic start-routine only starts the electrictric devices and than stops! Probably due to fuel-status 0% although complete refueling (see below).

The same case with the Me 109 G14. No restart is possible (see pictures attached)!

Coutercheck: In the same mission I used a Me 109 K4 and no problems!!!

tn_Il-2 2019-12-26 01-00-51-09.jpg

tn_Il-2 2019-12-26 00-59-48-23.jpg

Edited by simpit1

Simpit,

Does your plane have big damage. In the technochat, if i remind, you have a message that there are too much damage, then a repair complete, but at that time you can't start the engine.