Sign in to follow this  
Bert_Foster

Extreme clouds ?

So where do you select this ? I don't see the options on the Clouds drop down list on the Graphics settings screen... all I get is Low and Medium.

Edited by Bert_Foster

Manual edit of Startup config to set the line:

max_clouds_quality = 2

Then Extreme is selectable in the Clouds quality drop down list.

1 hour ago, Bert_Foster said:

So where do you select this ? I don't see the options on the Clouds drop down list on the Graphics settings screen... all I get is Low and Medium.

5 minutes ago, Bert_Foster said:

Manual edit of Startup config to set the line:

max_clouds_quality = 2

Then Extreme is selectable in the Clouds quality drop down list.

For me it was just there. Maybe you need graphics set to 'Ultra', to get the 'Extreme Cloud' option by default.

• Upvote 1

Everyone I fly with had the option without doing any startup config shenanigans.

• Upvote 2

The extreme cloud option is there,  just changed over from high to extreme and with my GTX 970 they look pretty good, but I should think they would look even better with a more powerful graphics card ?

2 hours ago, taffy2jeffmorgan said:

The extreme cloud option is there,  just changed over from high to extreme and with my GTX 970 they look pretty good, but I should think they would look even better with a more powerful graphics card ?

Sadly a better GPU doesn't cause already set graphics settings to suddenly look better, ultra is ultra, extreme is extreme regardless if you're using a GTX 1070 or RTX 2070 Super, the only difference would be in FPS for a smoother experience if your CPU and other components are up there and don't cause a bottleneck.

Only thing a new GPU can do is something like the new RTX line up with ray tracing, but that's a specific option and doesn't exist in many games yet.

Bert, I'd ditch this old startup.cfg of yours and let the game rebuild a new one If I were you. Who knows what else is messed up over there. The extreme clouds should be in the in-game gfx options from the beginning.

I have a 770 and an 8350 and for some reason I get much better fps and stability with extreme clouds compared to medium or high???????????????

I think it is to do with the difference in AA i.e. if u have low clouds and high rez the difference between them causes a negative performance.

Edited by AeroAce

Interesting theory.

I have a 1080 and a 4K monitor and can’t even run high clouds, let alone extreme.

I am using high but still the FPS is moving up and down between 60 and 40, prior to the last two updates I could fly at 60 on all maps and in any weather condition, now, only clear gives me 60, anything else is problematic, who knows what went wrong, they do look nice now though without the horrible shimmering.

I guess with constantly trying to appease those who constantly moan about spotting we have past the point of no return so whatever tweaks we introduce we are now stuck with this lower performance, oh well.:cray:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Pete, turning down horizon draw distance a notch (I think to 130km) brought my FPS back up to a stable 60...and I can’t really tell the difference.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Interesting theory.

I have a 1080 and a 4K monitor and can’t even run high clouds, let alone extreme.

My Rift S take extreme clouds detailed mirror and best shadows without a problem

Just now, No.322_LuseKofte said:

My Rift S take extreme clouds detailed mirror and best shadows without a problem

Yeah, but you're not driving 4K res.

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Pete, turning down horizon draw distance a notch (I think to 130km) brought my FPS back up to a stable 60...and I can’t really tell the difference.

I'll take another look and see what happens trying what you suggest, thanks.;)

The last few weeks I have spent more time loading the game up using different settings to see what I get than actually flying anything and I do not do much of that anymore, I have forgot just what combinations I have tried.:cray:

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Yeah, but you're not driving 4K res.

My 2080 loves 4K😎

• Upvote 1

Prior to 4.001 I had noticed a drop in performance with clouds on my Gtx1080, 

I upgraded to a Gtx 1080ti just as 4.001 released and find no issues (60fps stable) with extreme clouds at 4K, still not had time for proper testing but was very impressed, should have run the old 1080 first... Doh! 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I gave that a go, sadly not so good for me, thanks all the same, guess I will have to live with things as they are.:cray:

Being as I'm still running tests almost every night to measure system performance and maybe someday find the cause for CTD's which occur only on the BoBp Rhineland map but only in MP and only on the CombatBox "Battle for Eindhoven" map, I took the liberty of running a load test with Extreme and High clouds when replaying the same recorded track, here's the results FWIW, draw your own conclusions:

System is an i7-4790K w/16Gb RAM and an NVidia GTX970 card, running Win10.  Frames are locked at 60 with VSync enabled.  Sharpness and AA etc are handled in the NVIDIA system settings per Geronim0's graphic settings guide, and I'm using a current version of ReShade.  Temp and load monitoring is done with Open Hardware Monitor.

High Clouds:  59-60FPS consistently reported by IL2:

CloudTest_HighSettings.jpg

CloudTest_High.jpg

OHMstats_IL2_1920x1024balanced_HighClouds.jpg

Extreme Clouds:  59-60FPS consistently reported by IL2:

CloudTest_ExtremeSettings.jpg

CloudTest_Extreme.jpg

OHMstats_IL2_1920x1024balanced_ExtremeClouds.jpg

The green and purple lines that stand out in the bottom chart of both screenshots from Open Hardware Monitor are GPU core load and GPU memory usage, respectively.   On my system, I didn't see any appreciable additional load on GPU or GPU memory, nor any appreciable impact on system performance (although with frames locked at 60, I'm not giving it an opportunity to stretch it's legs and show high FPS potential in either scenario). 

The clouds simply look much better all other things being more or less equal.

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2019 at 1:48 PM, unreasonable said:

Oh oh. Time for an upgrade. 

Maybe you should wait a little. First quarter maybe the Ampere series will be announced by Nvidia. Availability second quarter. It may bring prices of the 2080 series down.

Edited by IckyATLAS

Tried out extreme clouds for the first time last night.

Really purdy, guys. Nice work! 🍻