Sign in to follow this  
Tristan44

Suggested Upgrades for Upcoming Sales

Hello,

Completely new to the forums, as well as the game.  I purchased IL2 just the other day but i have not bothered firing it up yet due to a few essential things I'm missing.  I want to get the ultimate gaming experience and i cannot with just a mouse and keyboard!  I have not bought a joystick, flight sim controller set, and i do not know where to even start.  I am asking what some of your recommendations are.  I see a lot of buzzwords flying around here and some intense set ups, but I am not there yet.  I want to start with a good joystick, flight pad, maybe even tracker IR headset before i dive into IL2.  

Black Friday in the U.S.A is coming up soon (for those who don't know big sales day), so i figured now is the perfect time to invest and buy!  

Looking forward to reply's and really appreciate any feedback.

welcome!

Track IR essential

Decent joystick, throttle combo and rudder pedals crucial

Can not go wrong with CH Pro combo and for rudders CH Pro or Logitech/Saitek G PRO for starters

I love my TM Warthog and MFG rudders setup..

Salutations,

Welcome to the IL2 simulation community. :salute:

It depends on how much you want to spend or how much you can spend. I agree with the TrackIR suggestion of something like it for immersion.

A middle of the road (cost wise) HOTAS control system is the Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS. Joystick, throttle and optional rudder pedals. :coffee:

I am looking to upgrade, but am currently using:

Track IR Pro 5 with the LEDs clipped to my headset

Steelseries  Headset

Dell Ultrasharp 24" IPS Monitor running at 1920 x 1200 @59Hz

Nvidia GTX 1060 w/ 3GB

Intel Core I5-4690 @ 3.5 GHz

16GB RAM and 1TB SSD

Saitek / Logitech X52 Pro flightstick and throttle - good but not great.  Lots of programmable buttons/hats, but just not quite optimal and the stick lacks precision.

No rudder pedals - I'm still using the twist-grip

In order, stuff I think I want to get:

Rudder Pedals (cheap - lets see how I like them over the twist)

New monitor - 4k or at least higher res and larger, with new GPU to run it

Saitek X56 stick and throttle - buddy thinks the throttle is likely better than the one from Thrustmaster Warthog, for having more programmable controls and ability to run split for twins.

MFG Crosswind Pedals

TM Warthog Stick (only)

Open to thoughts on all of the above.

Maybe:

VR

And, of course:

New desk / stand to put all this on

New chair

New house with a new room dedicated solely to this stuff.  Make it on an airpark so I can hanger the below...

AT-6 Texan to fine-tune my acrobatic maneuvers - learn how to do if for real so that I can do it better competitively in IL-2.  Get "heavy" taildragger time so CAF will consider my application.

North American P-51D15  - why not, they're only about $3M bucks!  

2 hours ago, Tristan44 said:

I see a lot of buzzwords flying around here and some intense set ups, but I am not there yet.  I want to start with a good joystick, flight pad, maybe even tracker IR headset before i dive into IL2.  

It really depends on your current PC hardware and how much you want to spend.

Assuming you already have a computer that can run the game with satisfactory performance, a stick is the crucial item. A basic model with twist axis for rudder control and hat switch for view control will let you enjoy the game for under $100.

The next tier adds additional controllers, i.e., rudder pedals, separate throttle consoles, and head tracking devices. Again, you can get inexpensive items for roughly $100 each or spend over a thousand for a high-end setup.

Finally, VR is considered to be the ultimate Il-2 experience by many on this forum. It involves its own intricacies related to HMDs and PC hardware, so you need to be careful if you decide to take that route.