Roover

P38 engine management

Hi guys.

Anyone of you might help me maybe. Can't manage engines in the P38. I freeze them all time.

Have you got any advises that could help me ?

I tried a few things, like lowering rpm to 2650, not throttling over 80%. Rads seems to be automatic so I have no control over them. Same thing for the turbos.

Anythig that may help.

Thanks.

Read the specifications, the limits are noted there.

I think it's

6X/3000 for 5 mins

54/3000 for 30 mins

44/2600 for unlimited

or something like this.

Well, after trying everything can't seem to find my problem.

Tried everything in the book, 40x/2600 rpm, manual rad (full open)... mixture 100%, 75%, 50%, auto prop, manual prop, turbo auto and manual name it...

Engines freeze and burn after 7 to 8 min. after take off (always the right engine first). Feather the right prop, lower rpm to 2200 on the left one, throttle back to 30 dive a bit to keep speed), full rad open, no joy. I see the coolant temp raise and can't lower it.

No problems whatsoever with all the set plane except the 38. Would really like to find my problem, really like that plane.

Check a lot of videos on youtube and can't find my problem.

Any help out there would be appreciated. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks guys.

6 minutes ago, Roover said:

Well, after trying everything can't seem to find my problem.

Tried everything in the book, 40x/2600 rpm, manual rad (full open)... mixture 100%, 75%, 50%, auto prop, manual prop, turbo auto and manual name it...

Engines freeze and burn after 7 to 8 min. after take off (always the right engine first). Feather the right prop, lower rpm to 2200 on the left one, throttle back to 30 dive a bit to keep speed), full rad open, no joy. I see the coolant temp raise and can't lower it.

No problems whatsoever with all the set plane except the 38. Would really like to find my problem, really like that plane.

Check a lot of videos on youtube and can't find my problem.

Any help out there would be appreciated. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks guys.

Do you have the same issues with other two engine planes? Maybe your key bindings are only operating RPM and MAP for one engine, so one engine is running at max settings for 8 minutes and the other is working harder to keep your speed up, so it heats up too fast and burns out?

Maybe record a track and upload it to get a fresh pair of eyes on it. 

As stated before make sure both engines are being controlled together.

Oil and Water radiators are automatic. I never touch them and have never had an issue. I tried to manually operate radiators but they are either full open or full closed.

Keep mixture on auto rich, not full rich. That is only if auto rich is not working.

The turbo is automatically controlled. 

Always increase engine rpm first, then manifold pressure (throttle).

Reduce throttle first, then RPM.

For takeoff or full combat power, set rpm to 3000 and max 54" manifold pressure. (red line on RPM gauge) You can accidentally run about 58-60" if you leave it at full throttle with turbos engaged.

For full prolonged power, 2600 rpm and 44" MP 

Normal cruise, 2600 rpm, 30-35" MP

Descent and Landing, 2600 rpm, 20" MP descent, 15" MP Landing

I have run these settings since the Lightning was released and only had issues if an engine or radiator was hit by AA fire. I have never hit the limit on military power in dogfights resulting in engine failure. If this does not correct your issue, you have a control mapping problem.

Yesterday I was chased by an enemy AC for about 5 minutes running at 3400 rpm and 54" MP and engines did not overheat. He gave up as I was pulling away slightly (FW 190 A5).

@Bremspropeller and @jackstalke

Edit... don’t know what I was thinking when I posted this. Descent rpm was all wrong and I have edited cruise settings slightly after flying a bunch of hours with no ill effects.

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Thanks 2

Thanks a lot for responding guys.

Really appreciate.

Not at home now but will record a track and post it in a few so it'll be a lot easier for you to understand.

And English is not my native language so sorry for any mistakes.

Never done it before but should be easy I guess.

Tks again.

Blew my engines in -38 a couple of times even while doing some simple strafing runs or climbs on max continuous MAP and RPM settings. Turns out, it was always a case of oil overheating. Oil coolers are auto, but their efficiency is mediocre at anything but high speeds. Watch the temps on gauges, or even faster, visually check the cooler flaps every now and then, they can be easily seen on inner front parts of the nacelles.

Also make sure that whenever you move the trottles, move them smoothly and not too quickly. You can damage your engine (probaably by over-revving) by gunning your throttles, too.

Did the old Lindbergh power setting yesterday, as I found myself very low on fuel, coming back from a mission (something like 10 gallons 40km out). Used 23 and 1600. Worked pretty fine and would have made it,combined with a slight dive to increase airspeed during the last 20 km or so. Unfortunately, the map ended just before final approach.

I managed to have her fly at 230 ias at those settings, which isn't too bad at all.

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, VSN_Razor said:

Read the specifications, the limits are noted there.

I think it's

6X/3000 for 5 mins

54/3000 for 30 mins

44/2600 for unlimited

or something like this.

54/3000 only for 15 min.

Good info in here guys.

Found out my problems. Bremspropeller you nailed it.

Moving throttle too fast (full mp and rpm), as in my case on take off gave me an oil system failure.

I didn't see the problem at first because I was flying with the hud off.

This plane is engines sensitive. Gonna have to fly it with care. 

And Art-J has got a good point too, those engines requires constant attention.

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback. You are of great help. Couldn't have found it by myself and God knows I tried.

See you all in the sky :)

Yeah, it seems that you can ride the Allisons pretty hard and they don’t have any issues. I have not pushed the limit to see what will break it, but I have left it at full combat power for 3 or 4 minute with no ill effects. I just check to make sure the turbos don’t overrev and kick the MAP up over 50 or so.

Posted (edited)

Well I cannot understand your problem. Does the needles on both engine show 44 and both on rpm 2600? If so you must found a way to switch off the radiators. I fly it constantly with those settings. It climbs like a homesick angel with that. 
what I cannot get with the p 38 is the low divespeed. 
do you fly with divebrakes on or flaps or undercarrage?

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte

I just tried it in a QMB in Kuban...

Holy Hell, the damned thing can have 4000 lbs of bombs under it and yet it climbs like a Me 163.

Sinking ships in Kuban is so fun like this lol