TJ_TAS

Is there going to be a career mode for TC

Not on release, no. And as far as future developments for career mode for this (and FC), the Devs said they may add them at a later date but this is still up in the air. Note though TC is not fully released yet and is still pending a few things, but as far as specific roadmaps are concerned, a Career mode is not yet on the horizon. 

Personal note, I'm already half-way into the scripted campaign. I do agree that TC should have a Career mode. Or at the very least a way of generating highly replayable streams of content for SP. I'd be disappointed myself if there wasn't any means to have that. 

Let things cook a bit, we'll see a little later down the line. 

Yeah I hope they add something as well. The campaigns are severely lacking. I was really hoping they would be much more involved and longer campaigns than what is on display here. 10 missions per side is simply not enough.

1 hour ago, Surrexen said:

10 missions per side is simply not enough.

Precisely. My biggest fear with TC is it suffering from DCS content syndrome, where content streams past the scripted missions are found either online, through community missions, or through personal tinkering with the Mission Editor. A key feature of Il-2 that made it for me (and the fact I have twice more hours in it than DCS) was the fact that i could have a random, dynamic mission ready to go instantly without having to tinker. The whole replayability aspect I mean. 

For $70, I really hope something of the sort would materialize. These tanks were the most fun I've had in recent years when it comes to ground combat. 

• Upvote 2

IIRC there was a statement, that it is not planned to create a career mode for TC. I think it is mainly thought to be used in MP.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

IIRC there was a statement, that it is not planned to create a career mode for TC. I think it is mainly thought to be used in MP.

Let's hope this changes. The campaign is also too streamlined, if you go to commander and autopilot on and attack targets at will, it is basically a ride along, no platoon commanding or tactical thinking needed. That said, it is good fun, but not really a challenge.

A simple career mode would go a long way, I hope it gets considered. IMO a few simple tasks could be:

- attack/ seek and destroy

- clear area/ town

- capture position (train station, etc)

- defend/ hold the line (against waves)

- ambush (expected convoy route, lay in cover before they arrive)

- reconnaissance (maybe, if a 2nd task would follow or so, not sure about the gameplay of this one in SP)

Always command a platoon of 4, start on a road close to objective/ front line. Maybe have other platoons fall in, independently, or follow you, but I think 4 tanks plus above objectives would already make for good missions in each map. Could also be more than 1 objective per mission, etc..

Would really love to see this, too.

Edited by 104th_IronMike
  • Like 1

When you take a look into the store, what they announce for Tank Crew, it doesn't mention anything else, than the campaigns, that were released.

BTW, the announcement in the store also mentions coop for TC, did anyone try that yet?

Given the way AI vehicles need to be very carefully placed, tested etc, and give the AI limitations navigating the terrain and obstacles, interacting with each other and the player, I'm not sure a career is feasible. It's not like placing AI aircraft, giving them some simple logic and letting them do their thing...vehicles don't work like this.Vehicles must have waypoints and they do not deviate from them.

Thus generating missions as in aircraft careers would be problematic.

TC from what I can tell is going to have to survive on hand-crafted, user and developer created campaigns I think.

I would be happy to be wrong about this, but given limitations that I'm aware of I don't thing it's plausible.

Maybe they have something up their sleeve though...never know.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Gambit21 said:

TC from what I can tell is going to have to survive on hand-crafted, user and developer created campaigns I think.

I would be happy to be wrong about this, but given limitations that I'm aware of I don't thing it's plausible.

I really wonder how the title is going to differentiate itself from something like, say, DCS FC3 where you have these wonderful vehicles up on show and yet you'd have to depend on either first or third-party content or MP for; well, content. 

I always came to Il-2 due to the fact they always marketed their titles as "more on the experience of being" than full-blown super fidelity simulation, which pretty much requires a constant stream of content to be available without much of a fuss (e.g. having to rely on said external content sources, or having to design missions yourself. pr barring limitations MP).

I know it's still a bit early to start doling out criticisms, but it's rather frustrating to think that at the same price-point; the experience would be rather different from the rest of the line-up (not counting Flying Circus). The wonderful thing about Il-2 titles is the fact that users can always pick their favorite vehicle and have something to do with them in an instant, something dynamic and highly-replayable where folks can go ahead and experience their vehicles first, instead of having to go through the trouble of searching for missions or building them. It's just different with scripted campaigns. 

I really hope the title, along with FC, gets up to par with the main titles as far as mission content go. There's a really good reason why this series is held in high regard, even amongst players of other competing titles. 

I think it's going to be a slower-growing product, but it will grow.

The extra challenges/limitations that vehicle AI poses will mean that missions come at a premium (time/effort) so users will have to be a bit more patient with TC.

If a detailed Normandy or Belgium map comes I might dabble.

10 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

The extra challenges/limitations that vehicle AI poses will mean that missions come at a premium (time/effort) so users will have to be a bit more patient with TC.

This I truly understand. Vehicle AI is still quite rudimentary, even from the standpoint of an air-only player. The devs have a lot of work ahead of them to be sure. 

Truth be told, had I any programming skill I would have taken up an extendable mission generator mod. I just see a lot of potential with TC despite it's limitations. 

Fingers crossed all the way. 

I think they need to look at the old PanzerElite from Wings Simulations with Full Monty mod and adapt that concept for TCs Singleplayer.

https://ogdb.eu/index.php?section=game&gameid=15497

https://mysimtech.wordpress.com/2017/04/28/first-blog-post/

If they don´t do something comparable, their product will most likely fail commercially. They have a very long way to go with this still.

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

In dev #212 they mention how it was very unlikely that a single tank crew from either side could survive multiple tank battles in a row from 1943-45. Although there were probably some, likely more pilots survived the period from Kursk to 1945.

8 hours ago, sevenless said:

If they don´t do something comparable, their product will most likely fail commercially. They have a very long way to go with this still.

This is likely one of my core arguments for this title. I can see the Devs going about it as more of an experiment, since every time I look at it a lot of what makes tank sims tenable seem to be missing. Apart from the inclusion of a string of single missions and it's utility in Multiplayer, there doesn't seem to be a lot going for it actually. 

When you look at titles like SABOW, Panzer Elite, and probably even Steel Beasts (though the latter still requires some input from the player to generate content streams), they all have something in common from a ground ops perspective: a fluid process for sustaining replayability. 

In the case of SABOW, generating content is about as simple as placing your intended OOB on a tile on the map and playing from there, with the AI taking over friendly and enemy ground units decision making in dynamic ways to make for replayable content. Obviously Tank Crew doesn't have that capability, so something else must be put in place. 

Tank Crew isn't like any of the current standing products Il-2 has at the moment. Key in point, we don't exactly operate out of airfields and whatever mission content that's to be generated ought to follow either a moving front-line, or do away with that concept and go to a highly extended QMB route which, if it's still stuck to certain areas, would end up feeling limited still. 

As far as mission generation go, I think something of the sort that's similar to Armored Brigade (a wargame) would probably be best. Even if it just comes as a mod. 

In that title, you can pretty much generate your own campaign by selecting consecutive map areas and having the engine generate consecutive missions based on user input that declares the OOB of friendly and enemy assets. That way, with a couple clicks, you get fully-formed content streams without having to go through the Il-2 mission editor and suffer DCS content syndrome. 

Just an idea. There's a lot of ideas out there the Devs can pull from IMO. 

5 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

In dev #212 they mention how it was very unlikely that a single tank crew from either side could survive multiple tank battles in a row from 1943-45. Although there were probably some, likely more pilots survived the period from Kursk to 1945.

I can't argue against facts, it's pretty obvious this was the case. But I feel like this could just end up being used as a crutch or an excuse to not pursue development work on extending gameplay elements. I get it's important for the Devs to create content in line with historical records, yes. We have the current run of missions for that. But what happens after is where my concern pretty much lies. @sevenless made a wonderful point about trying to emulate what Panzer Elite had done in that regard. 

I really don't want these titles to end up like DCS where would always have to put in time with editors instead of actually playing the tanks. The fact Il-2 Career modes can make content without hardly any input from me is one of the reasons why I've pretty much abandoned DCS. 

I don't know what everybody else is going through, but I sincerely doubt there's enough time floating around to tinker with editors for an hour and actually play for half. 

I get most folks will say just hop into MP. But for some, MP might end up being a gate they can't quite go through for their own reasons.

I am also hoping for some form of autogenerating missions if not a real campaign but I am aware that the title was only sold with two scripted campaigns.

20 hours ago, MarderIV said:

I get most folks will say just hop into MP. But for some, MP might end up being a gate they can't quite go through for their own reasons.

Oh yes, as a SP guy myself that's one argument I really don't like or appreciate. One of the great thinks about "old time" pc gaming was that you were totally independent. You could always play when and how you like it. 

On 11/23/2019 at 4:49 AM, MarderIV said:

Not to forget, as long as you don't have some form of organization, a leader who coordinates the fighting of his side and a working together of the players with communication through teamspeak or so, it will always be some arcade egoshooter, and no simulation. And from what I read so far, you always have the flight simulation part too big compared to the ground war.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, Novice-Flyer said:

At least for German pilots this is not true - I read in museum that of more than 18 000 men trained as Jagdflieger not even 10% survived the war - and of those many would have been wounded in a way that they couldn't fly anymore.

So a Johannes Steinhoff is as rare an animal as Otto Carius, who survived a big part of the war as a tank commander in the east.

I think a carreer system is way more suited to airial combat than to ground combat because you can start at an airfield, do stuff and return to the same airfield for several days without breaking immersion.

In ground combat you take or lose ground and have to start your next mission roughly were you ended your last. That would require an actual dynamic campaign rather than a carreer as we have now.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, Gambit21 said:

I think it's going to be a slower-growing product, but it will grow.

If a detailed Normandy or Belgium map comes I might dabble.

They are now coming out with Normandy.  If they continue to struggle with the pacific theater, perhaps we will get Belgium or Africa as well

1 minute ago, zdog0331 said:

They are now coming out with Normandy.  If they continue to struggle with the pacific theater, perhaps we will get Belgium or Africa as well

We already have Belgium.

6 minutes ago, zdog0331 said:

I'm talking about a more detailed, ground level map suitable for tanks - like the Prokhorovka map.