New Players Flying Circus FAQ

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, NO.20_D_McGoun said:

You can play ROF in VR with an app called VORPX I have used it for a lot of Direct X 11 games but its not quite the same. Games built for VR always seem to be a lot better IMHO

Have you used it with vorpx? Does the headtracking work?

On 10/20/2020 at 3:38 PM, UB_Toast said:

Probably a dumb question, but here goes.  I have stand alone Rise of Flight game for many years. Now, I see it is available on IL2 as Flying Circus.  My question...is there anyway I can "convert" my Rise of Flight to Flying Circus?   I'm guessing not and I'll have to play ROF separately...but it doesn't hurt to ask !  

Short answer is yes, FC is a different game.

Why buy FC? 

1. VR support is a huge factor if you play VR.  All of Great Battles are amazing VR implementations.  

2. AI.  The development team had been steadily improving AI for years and continue to do so.  The AI is so much better now than RoF

3. FM: Flight Model is considerably more advanced and continues to improve.

4. DM: Damage model is much more sophisticated than RoF days

5. Graphics.  Especially at slow WWI speeds, they matter.  All manner of graphics improvements since RoF.

That is not a complete list.  FC is simply a more advanced game.  The idea of having RoF and not buying FC is fine if you are completely satisfied with RoF.  Maybe early on the differences were not enough to warrant an FC purchase.  At this stage that argument is like saying I have Red Baron 3D so why do I need RoF?   FC has moved on.

• Upvote 4

Another reason is the upcoming terrain effect that Han talked about in the latest DD.

There also has been talk about updating the fuel system in the game. I'm sure that FC will benefit from that too.

More aspects will improve in time that in RoF won't happen anymore.

And then there's the controls, as you may remember from RoF, you needed a Force Feedback Joystick to get your stabilizer centered (especially with the Se5a), they have found a solution to keep it centered without the need of a Force Feedback Joystick. (There's nothing wrong with having a FFB stick but good ones are so hard to find nowadays).

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, VvonBorg said:

Hi

Newbie here.

Does the 4.505 update contain anything for Flying Circus?

Thanks in advance

V

1. All player-controlled aircraft got 4K quality cockpit textures created by Chiawei = Oyster_KAI = Liang;
4. New visual effects added for and railway fuel tanks and fuel tanker trucks explosions. The airfield fuel storage also explodes with a new effect if there is an entity assigned to it in the mission file;
11. Several cases of incorrect camera operation have been fixed (for example, when the camera remained in the cockpit of a destroyed aircraft or a tank);
24. Lighting on both Halberstadt aircraft can be turned on only with cockpit lamp modification present;

Edited by Oliver88
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I used to be a RB 3D flyer for years, with the advanced flight model, glide wrapper, custom skins, all the bells and whistles (was in several squads) until that went kaboom.  Switched over to IL 2 when it came out--became comfortable flying a range of aircraft (Russian, German, and US), progressed through several single player campaigns, and was able to hold my own in multiplayer servers.  My favorite ride was the FW 190 (which I could even land). However, I was never a fan of the engine management--to say the least; as a matter of fact, I stopped playing multiplayer because of it (at first there were servers that were set up so that it could be automated, but eventually all seemed to require it).  When I got a new computer, I just didn't bother installing IL 2 and let it go.  I guess it goes along with me preferring an automatic transmission to a stick shift: if that makes me a lightweight, then guilty as charged.

I am very interested in getting back into the WWI cockpit in FC, but, I'd like to know whether there is an option to automate engine management, like there was in IL 2, and whether the most popular FC MMP servers are configured to force you to do engine management.  I ask because I noticed in some of the threads and a few of the vid tutorials that engine management seems to be a central component of flying in FC, too (I checked out the vids on the DVII and DR1 and noticed that both included engine management: the radiator in the DVII and the fuel/air mixture in the DR 1--I can only assume that each plan has something like this as well).

A second question that is unclear to me is whether FC Volume I requires me to also have IL 2.  I don't intend to purchase it via Steam (if I do decide to buy it), but on Steam it says that IL 2 is required.  On the IL 2 site is suggests that it is stand alone.

Thanks for any advice or information.

Best,

Ed M

11 hours ago, Slamm said:

Hello,

I used to be a RB 3D flyer for years, with the advanced flight model, glide wrapper, custom skins, all the bells and whistles (was in several squads) until that went kaboom.  Switched over to IL 2 when it came out--became comfortable flying a range of aircraft (Russian, German, and US), progressed through several single player campaigns, and was able to hold my own in multiplayer servers.  My favorite ride was the FW 190 (which I could even land). However, I was never a fan of the engine management--to say the least; as a matter of fact, I stopped playing multiplayer because of it (at first there were servers that were set up so that it could be automated, but eventually all seemed to require it).  When I got a new computer, I just didn't bother installing IL 2 and let it go.  I guess it goes along with me preferring an automatic transmission to a stick shift: if that makes me a lightweight, then guilty as charged.

I am very interested in getting back into the WWI cockpit in FC, but, I'd like to know whether there is an option to automate engine management, like there was in IL 2, and whether the most popular FC MMP servers are configured to force you to do engine management.  I ask because I noticed in some of the threads and a few of the vid tutorials that engine management seems to be a central component of flying in FC, too (I checked out the vids on the DVII and DR1 and noticed that both included engine management: the radiator in the DVII and the fuel/air mixture in the DR 1--I can only assume that each plan has something like this as well).

A second question that is unclear to me is whether FC Volume I requires me to also have IL 2.  I don't intend to purchase it via Steam (if I do decide to buy it), but on Steam it says that IL 2 is required.  On the IL 2 site is suggests that it is stand alone.

Thanks for any advice or information.

Best,

Ed M

For the last question the requirement to have Stalingrad is specific to the game within Steam. Not sure on all the rules about it. But if you purchase and download from the IL2 website then you can start with whatever. That what I did and started with just the Spitfire 5 collector plane.

As to the engine management question Flugpark is prob the most popular server for Circus. Am rather sure it’s configured to have those kind of helpers disabled. Engine management is quite simple in these aircraft though, for the Camel its just throttle, mixture and blip switch.

Hello, me again.   Just loaded FC onto my system and hooked up my Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback Stick (got via ebay). I've got a Track IR on the way. Took a few spins with quick missions, watched some of vids of Thursday night fly ins, skimmed an online version of the IL 2 manual, and have tinkered with settings (by the seat of my pants to get things displayed on the screen, like Hud and whatnot). Hard to remember how much I've forgotten (having flown IL 2 years ago). I do have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised that I'm able to still handle the aircraft: split s, no problem: immelman still working on (handled the camel without the killer spin). But it's all very rusty. Here are a few questions:

1. When starting the game, what is the difference between choosing to "sign in" or clicking the "offline" buttons? (Thus far, I've signed in).

2. Is there a a reference that explicates the onscreen markers?  I see red teardrops with numbers in them: I'm assuming that those are aircraft or targets? I also see red triangles at the edge of the screen (indicating direction towards enemy aircraft that have moved out of view)--what is the difference between the sold and the  hollow triangles? 

3. Is there a reference that has all of the keyboard commands, or commands for functions (engines, reloading, views, etc)?  I know that you can scroll through and see these things in bits here and there in the interface, but I'm talking about an actual list or keyboard map.

4. I vaguely remember there being a "no cockpit" or "gunsight" view. Are you always limited to being in cockpit view or are there other options?

5. Is there a way to capture screen or take a screenshot?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

Best,

Ed M

Welcome back Ed. Congratulations on everything you've accomplished this far! You seem on the right track. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Click offline to simply go to quick mission builder without connecting to external servers. 

2. The big tear drop is simply a geographic locator pin for reference. Think of the destination pin on your GPS or favorite mapping directions tool.

You're correct about the red arrows and there can be blue arrows for friendly's. Somebody else will have to answer the hollow versus solid triangles as I can't recall off hand.

3. You can find all the references for the various commands in your settings. There are several tabs for different aspects and groupings of commands like pilot control plane control engine control and ammunition in guns etc. Just don't ever erase the default keyboard commands when mapping them to your stick in one of the columns to the right.

4.in full real settings you just have the cockpit view and flying with track IR that will be your best bet to prepare you for full real environments on multiplayer if that's of interest to you. You can turn on external views when you customize your quick mission builder settings and there are some servers that allow other kinds of views. However the general consensus is that learning using external views and padlocks puts you at a disadvantage as you try to move towards a multiplayer environment with full real settings.

5. You can make recordings and take snapshots of frames of your recordings later. Press control+R to start recording your flight.

Again welcome back to the community. I'd encourage you to log in and check out the icons on Flugpark II server which has icons on and some other aids for newer pilots.

Hello, pretty new to FC and found this topic really helpful, so thank you to everbody who put something useful up for newbies like me.

Been flying RoF years ago and now I am hooked to FC,  at the moment mostly single player until I dare to go to the Flugpark again, ventured there only once so far and must say I have to learn a lot !

WW1 flight always fascinated me and hopefully meet you guys in the air soon once I am a bit more confident:)

Edited by Fritz_Vornholz
  • Upvote 3

Me again...not sure if this fits into the new flyer FAQ or not, but here goes.  I have been continuing to practice in both the MP Flugpark Training Server and in SP Quick missions. I've managed to land most aircraft (still haven't gotten down safely with the Spad!).  There is something I'm missing about the interface with the Camel.

Both in the MP server and in Quick Mission, once I touch down with the Camel, it takes on a life of its own and the engine stops--on its own--without me ever hitting "E" and killing the engine, nor dropping the throttle to "0".  If I then hit "E" the text message will pop up saying "Engine Stop" (as if it were running) and then I'll hit "E" again and the little green box will come up indicated that the engine has started, but nothing  happens.  I'll then up the throttle, and (again), the little green box will pop up showing the throttle percentage increase, but nothing is happening.  The message indicators show that the engine is operating, but nothing is happening: the engine is dead. 

I should add that I'm not talking about when I've landed with engine damage (goodness knows I've done that enough with the camel) or "ditched" or "force landed" (in the MP server, it will say, "safely landed").

As I've said, I don't have this issue with any other aircraft: I can land those and take off again and taxi as well. It's just the camel. I'm stumped: is there some setting or keyboard command for restarting the engine specific to the Camel that I'm missing? Any advice or information would be appreciated. 

Best,

Ed M

I'm sure a camel jockey will be of more help, but in the meantime, make sure your mixture isn't too low.    Learn to use the blip switch.   That said, it sure sounds like you could be pranging/breaking your prop on touchdown.

Glad to hear newer pilots are finding the Flugpark II practice server useful.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Slamm said:

If I then hit "E" the text message will pop up saying "Engine Stop" (as if it were running) and then I'll hit "E" again and the little green box will come up indicated that the engine has started, but nothing  happens.  I'll then up the throttle, and (again), the little green box will pop up showing the throttle percentage increase, but nothing is happening.  The message indicators show that the engine is operating, but nothing is happening: the engine is dead. 

The Engine Start indicator does not mean that the engine is running, only that it is ready to be started if possible.

Any chance you could post a video of your landings?