Talon_

Operation Bodenplatte doesn't actually -happen-

It's kind of a shame. I tried in a Mustang and a Bf109. Just another day at the front:

image.thumb.png.29910a8f243b75dafb74c351df129674.png

Also, the newspaper delivered on the morning of the 1st January talks about the results of the raid

• Sad 1

It's be interesting if they could make it to where the Germans had airfield attack missions on that day.

• Upvote 1

sorry but I really dont see what's wrong, can you explain to those like me? you mean the little amount of enemies destroyed?

2 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

sorry but I really dont see what's wrong, can you explain to those like me? you mean the little amount of enemies destroyed?

The mass luftwaffe attacks aiming to cripple the allied air forces by attacking their airfields that the expansion is named after doesn't actually happen in career.

• Thanks 1

I was flying a Luftwaffe campaign, on 31 Decamber I had relocation mission to field further east, on 1st I've read of the attack in the newspaper.

ahh, I guess mads attacks will not happen tho, not at least in the short term future, for CPU consumption or something like that? Not sure tho

1 hour ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

for CPU consumption or something like that? 

Nothing to do the CPU.

• Upvote 1

Strange, you would think that a career campaign for that time period would include the actual activities of that particular day that the module is supposed to represent.:o:

So, does that mean the actual battle must be made by campaign builders separate from the career part of the module?

I can appreciate that you cannot build a module just to replicate one day in time as such, that particular operation though should be included as part of the historical progress surely.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

I'm guessing that when Jason said they still had work to do on BoBP, improving career mode was part of it?

At least I hope...

Say what now? Hope it comes as thats the whole premise of this addon.  At least thought it was

1 hour ago, Sybreed said:

I'm guessing that when Jason said they still had work to do on BoBP, improving career mode was part of it?

At least I hope...

It sure is. The key event is still missing in career mode.

It would be good if someone could just make a massed airfield attack mission as a stand alone: then it could be incorporated, I assume.  A mission with ~50 aircraft strafing an airfield with 8 LAA units is doable without too much slowdown during the attack, at least on my PC. More guns than that and the number of shells in the air starts to create a lot of stutter. 

That is with the AI flying scripted paths though: actually give them attack ground orders and you would probably get a mess of collisions.  

Any ME-meisters up for the challenge? I suspect that actually creating one of the main attacks in 1:1 scale is nearly impossible in the game engine, with our PCs.   

21 minutes ago, sevenless said:

It sure is. The key event is still missing in career mode.

you saying this based on something or just based on hope?

Edited by Sybreed

1 minute ago, Sybreed said:

you saying based on something or just based on hope?

Based on logic. They would open up a big can of worms of critizism not fixing that. It is like publishing a sim called D-Day Normandy and leaving out the 6th june main event.

Just now, sevenless said:

Based on logic. They would open up a big can of worms of critizism not fixing that. It is like publishing a sim called D-Day Normandy and leaving out the 6th june main event.

As opposed to publishing a sim called  Bodenplatte and then including a career that is longer than 1 day?

I'm pretty sure that the Bodenplatte title was not meant to be taken literally.  It's a late war western front flight sim.  And I'm also pretty sure that the career missions are random.

3 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I'm pretty sure that the Bodenplatte title was not meant to be taken literally.

Everyone knows that from the beginning of early access. However leaving out the historical main events of the time frame modelled automatically triggers some folks to scratch their heads.

It would be a nice feature to add. I think back to Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe where they had a career system not unlike what we have now. For the most part it would auto gen missions but then if you were in the right unit on the right day it would instead give you a "Historical mission" that was pre-scripted. It was kind of cool to stumble onto those and it'd be interesting to see that happen here.

• Upvote 7

I feel like I'm probably in a minority on these forums...but I really think the gameplay needs to be "sculpted" a bit more.  I'd much rather see enhancements to the shape and feel of the game experience than the exact same sandbox gameplay in a new theatre with new planes.  All these posts speculating about the next theatre announcement really bum me out.  They've got the physics and flight models down. And those feel awesome.  I feel like what it needs is well...a plot.

How to do this..I don't know.  More highly polished scripted campaigns for single player, some kind of game mechanics and features that encourage and facilitate cooperation in multiplayer. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Sparky_IBEW_353 said:

I feel like what it needs is well...a plot.

It's the early 1940s.  You're a fighter/bomber pilot flying for the Axis/Allies and you have to bomb/shoot down enemy targets/aircraft to help the Axis/Allies win the war.  Good luck!

There.  That's the plot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From Developers Diary 234,

Version 4.001 is the release of Bodenplatte.

For Bodenplatte, this update will bring the previously missing parts - the promised 4 seasons of its map and Battle of Rheinland Career timeframe. The Career required a huge amount of work - 115 squadrons, 65 of them are joinable by the player, operate from 70 airfields (most of them are correctly recreated using historical layouts) according to historical images and data.

It should be noted that the developers will continue to improve both the Battle of Rheinland Career and Rheinland maps after the release. :coffee:

• Upvote 1

Well that's a bummer. I hope it will be fixed soon.

Some comments are just ridiculous. Imagine this. Battle of Midway expansion comes out. Everybody exited, firing up the updated game, loading the map and then they find out that there's no Midway Atoll on the map - just ocean. Everybody posting their frustrated comments on the forum, some suggesting that that there might be a fix soon and here comes BSR saying "What are you complaining about? You got a huge ocean map as opposed to a little patch of land. It's a mid war Pacific front flight sim, I'm pretty sure that the Midway title was not meant to be taken literally."

1 minute ago, Arthur-A said:

Well that's a bummer. I hope it will be fixed soon.

Some comments are just ridiculous. Imagine this. Battle of Midway expansion comes out. Everybody exited, firing up the updated game, loading the map and then they find out that there's no Midway Atoll on the map - just ocean. Everybody posting their frustrated comments on the forum, some suggesting that that there might be a fix soon and here comes BSR saying "What are you complaining about? You got a huge ocean map as opposed to a little patch of land. It's a mid war Pacific front flight sim, I'm pretty sure that the Midway title was not meant to be taken literally."

Sorry, but that's nonsense.  A Midway module should definitely have a Midway map. 

And a 1 day campaign.

I do think there should be scripted Bodenplatte missions.  But if we're going to get pedantic about this, and this forum might be the most pedantic place on the planet, what is the point of a Bodenplatte campaign?  It was 1 day.

BTW, if you think that is bad, the primary Bodenplatte MP servers have all banned vulching.  The irony...

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Just kidding.  I totally understand why.

what is the point of a Bodenplatte campaign?

Point is that when there's January 1 1945 in the career and your squadron took part in those events then there has to be an Operation Bodenplatte mission on that day in the Career. Before and after that day - just regular dynamically generated random missions, no problem with that.

Just now, Arthur-A said:

Point is that when there's January 1 1945 in the career and your squadron took part in those events then there has to be an Operation Bodenplatte mission on that day in the Career. Before and after that day - just regular dynamically generated random missions, no problem with that.

Bodenplatte was 1 day.  It wasn't a campaign.  If you want to whine about no scripted Bodenplatte missions, I'm on board (even though I'll never use them).  But a Bodenplatte campaign is a meaningless concept.  

1 minute ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I do think there should be scripted Bodenplatte missions.  But if we're going to get pedantic about this, and this forum might be the most pedantic place on the planet, what is the point of a Bodenplatte campaign?  It was 1 day.

One day with 10 different attacks. In combination with data of Allied aerial victories during the operation, there’s enough material for at least 16 missions in a campaign that takes place over the course of one day.

Comparisons to a "Battle of Midway" without the famous battle aren't entirely accurate as "Battle of Bodenplatte" is not a common name for any historical event. Had they called the game "Operation Bodenplatte", it would require a much more narrow interpretation.

When the project was announced in 2017, I was quite surprised by the title. Taking the name of the 1 January 1945 operation and prepending "Battle of" opened up the possibility of many different interpretations. From the start, it seemed unlikely that the game would focus on one day, but it was not immediately obvious from the title and announcement.

Admittedly, I don't know if they could have found a better title. They all end up either too generic or not strictly accurate for the portrayed events.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

4 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

One day with 10 different attacks. In combination with data of Allied aerial victories during the operation, there’s enough material for at least 16 missions in a campaign that takes place over the course of one day.

I'm sure someone will come up with 16 different scripted missions. But to call that a campaign is utter nonsense.

Just now, BraveSirRobin said:

I'm sure someone will come up with 16 different scripted missions. But to call that a campaign is utter nonsense.

It worked for Tank Crew.

15 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

It worked for Tank Crew.

Because a battle that lasts for a few weeks is exactly the same as a raid that lasted a few hours?

I can't tell you how much I love that really the title named as " Operation Bodeplatte " but you can't play this very special day in history. :rofl:

8 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Because a battle that lasts for a few weeks is exactly the same as a raid that lasted a few hours?

The Battle of Prokhorovka lasted less than a day.

I don’t know why you’re so hung up on how many days a campaign has to represent. It’s not as though we’re talking about career mode, where having more than one month of potential gameplay is definitely a requirement.

Just now, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

The Battle of Prokhorovka lasted less than a day.

The game isn't called Battle of Prokhorovka.  It's called Tank Crew. 

Also, I'm not hung up on anything.  I think the complaining is silly.  But the Bodenplatte "campaign" is just a series of random missions like all the other generic campaigns.  They obviously don't have the ability to insert historic events into that campaign structure.  Tank Crew is different.  It's scripted.  If you want to get pedantic about the events on Jan 1 not being included in BoBP, you should be just as upset that Tank Crew's "campaign" is a series of missions that a single person could not possibly have been involved in.  Actually, forget I said that.  I don't want to give the chronic complainers any ideas.

2 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The game isn't called Battle of Prokhorovka.  It's called Tank Crew. 

It’s called IL-2 Sturmovik - Tank Crew: Clash at Prokhorovka.

Also, I'm not hung up on anything.  I think the complaining is silly.  But the Bodenplatte "campaign" is just a series of random missions like all the other generic campaigns.  They obviously don't have the ability to insert historic events into that campaign structure.

That’s not a campaign. That’s the career mode.

If you want to get pedantic about the events on Jan 1 not being included in BoBP, you should be just as upset that Tank Crew's "campaign" is a series of missions that a single person could not possibly have been involved in.

Yes, I’m so upset about CaP’s campaigns that I’m suggesting that the devs should do something similar for a potential BoBP campaign.

And I wasn’t complaining about anything the devs did. I was just coming up with ideas for how a possible Bodenplatte campaign could look.

3 minutes ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

And I wasn’t complaining about anything the devs did. I was just coming up with ideas for how a possible Bodenplatte campaign could look.

Not sure why it's so important to call a few scripted missions a "campaign", but good luck storming the castle!

13 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Not sure why it's so important to call a few scripted missions a "campaign", but good luck storming the castle!

It’s hardly “storming the castle” to say “I like how the developers are making campaigns, I hope they do another one”.