Zooropa_Fly

Zoo Wings Server.

Okay, Fly has the server offline but i have it in my list so I just flew it four times.  I did successful passes through the train station every time; no problem.  I then came around and tried it with a right snap roll twice.  Haven't reviewed the FR yet but it seems like both times my lower right wing caught the ground and I crashed.  

So I thought I'd try an aileron roll but as soon as I rolled I crashed.  

So I tried it again and this time I only went for the first half of the maneuver: let's see if I can pull up into the beginning of an aileron roll.  Nope.  I got inside the structure; pulled up and crashed.  I gotta check the FR but so far it looks like you can fly through if you do it straight and level; but try anything funny and you crunch it.  Not giving up yet, though.  

Film at eleven.

• Haha 1

Ok fast action fanboys, Zoo Wings is back up after some considerable submarine shennanigans and tank tribulations.

All 2 hour maps, running order :

1. The Lille Deal

2. The Icy Lake

3. The Murder Mud

4. What A * Rotter.

Not planning any more maps just now, I think 4 is probably enough with the current content for this sort of nonsense.

S!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 11/23/2019 at 1:47 AM, Zooropa_Fly said:

Ok fast action fanboys, Zoo Wings is back up after some considerable submarine shennanigans and tank tribulations.

All 2 hour maps, running order :

1. The Lille Deal

2. The Icy Lake

3. The Murder Mud

4. What A * Rotter.

Not planning any more maps just now, I think 4 is probably enough with the current content for this sort of nonsense.

S!

Flew the Lille and Rotterdam maps today; first time at "A Rotter."  Very cool map!  That bridge is an amazing piece of architecture and the city itself is perfect for the "Rotterdam Road Races."  I will be flying that one again in the future, for sure.  

Again today: the bots will get you if you don't watch out.  They are surprisingly good, as bots go.  And I got to go a couple food flights versus an excellent human pilot in an F1.  So it was an all-around good time.

Thanks for making these maps and hosting them for others.  Very muchly appreciated.

Glad you're enjoying it Todt !

Originally I had the tanks facing up for a fight on the bridge, but when they get onto it they levitate 3-4 feet off the ground, eventually fall through it, and give object errors.

There seems to be many issues with solid ground / ground level in the game. I'm a bit shocked you still can't end a mission if you land on a bridge / roof etc. Long past time that was fixed.

Anyway - 'The Icy Lake' now has AF's as an option for your taking off / landing pleasure, if anyone can remember how to :).

S!

• Thanks 1

Cool!  Now if I can just FIND the aerodrome. 

I think I saw horses and people when I was driving through town.  Nice touch.  Great map, man.  Thanks!

Thanks for the very quick update of your excellent server ! 

Please be advised that Zoo Wings has gone icons-off, at least until J5 can get back up and running.

All the best to J5, you'll crack it soon (hopefully before I go blind).

S!

12 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Please be advised that Zoo Wings has gone icons-off, at least until J5 can get back up and running.

All the best to J5, you'll crack it soon (hopefully before I go blind).

S!

Fly, 

I was a Greentail in 2005 before I got injured and and couldn't walk for three years.   Then, J5 was the first group I flew an event with when I began ROF in 2017.  

That said, I think it's more than good of you to help the J5 site; especially considering how much support they've given the Zoo, Misfits, and other similar servers. 

Personally,  I like flying without icons and appreciate the change.  Thank you!

On 11/16/2019 at 3:08 AM, West said:

Specs about the Mercedes DIIIaü tell us that its improved performance at high altitudes implied setting it at full regime above the deck could bring detonations in the engine.

So think VIIf without altitude lever;
rather adjust the throttle )))

or take it higher like above 500m.

When Mikael Carlson was asked about the throttle in his DIIIau Fokker DVII, he said, at the low altitudes he flies at, if he was to push full throttle (which he cannot due to a mechanical throttle stop that was installed) all that would happen is that the engine would stall out and die.

Edited by Adam
Specifics
  • Like 1

Yet those are the specs FC provides;

but it is good to hear an other sound to it )))

Edited by West

Announcing the 5th map... "The Flaming Forest".

Available now !

I'll leave it repeating for a day or so, give everyone a fair chance to get a slot 😄.

Any performance issues please let me know.

Icons remain off for now...

S!

On 12/8/2019 at 11:26 PM, Adam said:

When Mikael Carlson was asked about the throttle in his DIIIau Fokker DVII, he said, at the low altitudes he flies at, if he was to push full throttle (which he cannot due to a mechanical throttle stop that was installed) all that would happen is that the engine would stall out and die.

Same as with full throttle at low altitude on overcompressed Benz BZ IVa engine, plane lost the piston rod, blow up the second cylinder and cause damage to the propeller. Pilot survived emergency landing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Same as with full throttle at low altitude on overcompressed Benz BZ IVa engine, plane lost the piston rod, blow up the second cylinder and cause damage to the propeller. Pilot survived emergency landing.

The difference between the DIIIa (180hp) and the DIIIau (200hp) is that the DIIIa had higher compression with a flat piston as opposed to concave (160hp) and NO NEW CARB. The DIIIau had the higher compression like the 180hp plus the new carb which was altitude compensating. So at a lower altitude if you gave it full throttle the mixture would be too lean and it would just stop. This is what I gathered from reading about the Mercedes series. The detonation in game I don't think would happen unless FC uses low octane fuel.

I don't know about the over-compressed Benz IVa but the BMW DIIIa had the altitude compensating carb plus a button that you had to engage when going into the upper range. This was "over-gas". There are reports of pilots using the over-gas and full throttle 100m on the deck and out running SPADs WITHOUT DAMAGING ENGINES even though the procedure was only meant for heights above 3000m

Edited by Adam
stuff

Hi Zooropa!  Your server is working, everything is OK!  Although the game does not tell me the size of the ping, I flew there for two evenings without any problems.  It’s bad that no one else came there, and all the fights were only with bots.

Cheers Klug, still problems controlling the bots but it's back in the running order.

#*@£ the bots, the scenery's nice.

S!

Hope you Dont , i really enjoy flying on your server, my first choice when flying, it is great would be sad to lose you, Hope you deside to stick around.

Only problem i have it does show 0 players online in it, so never now how many are online, until i load into the map itself.

Missions and server are excellent !

S!

paul

Edited by GCF
  • Thanks 1

I always enjoy Zoo Wings. It's a good place to fly even when you are alone. Thanks for your efforts

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

was in yesterday and it was very laggy. first time i experienced that. Wonder if the bots were causing it as there was a lot of activity, more than i remember.

Which map was that Sturm ?

The forest map struggles if you're too near the flames, effects seem to take a heavy toll..

I cut back on the fires, and moved them away from the center of the map. Maybe need to move them further away.

The Mud map has a fair bit in it, again I've cut back but maybe not enough.

Thanks for the feedback S!

Not sure runway had fires going after I was airborn I noticed a big scrap at my 12 or 1 o clock position and a bristol at my 9. I went after the bristol and thats when i noticed it being jerky. Next time I am in I will write down the mission

That'll be The Icy Lake, which is usually the best performing map lol.

I did away with the air starts and dropped the bots on that one. They're maybe all in too much of a scrum in the middle now.

I'm hoping that was a one off problem Sturm, but I'll seperate the bots a little next time I'm in the editor.

S!

Zooropa, hello!  On one of the maps, with an air launch, I did not find an airfield for landing on the ground to complete the mission.  Maybe I was not attentive? 🙂 Map of Arras, the front line

On 12/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, Zooropa_Fly said:

That'll be The Icy Lake, which is usually the best performing map lol.

I did away with the air starts and dropped the bots on that one. They're maybe all in too much of a scrum in the middle now.

I'm hoping that was a one off problem Sturm, but I'll seperate the bots a little next time I'm in the editor.

S!

Thanks I will keep an eye out, but other than that I like having something to do when I am playing alone

1 hour ago, emely said:

Zooropa, hello!  On one of the maps, with an air launch, I did not find an airfield for landing on the ground to complete the mission.  Maybe I was not attentive? 🙂 Map of Arras, the front line

That's part of the challenge Emely, finding a safe spot to land. 

Have you flown the snowy peaks yet ? 

30 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Have you flown the snowy peaks yet ? 

Not yet.  I hope I see her 🙂 Today was almost a normal dogfight, it reached 4x4!  When the real player on f7f first attacked me there, I was so confused that I had to spin on a dolphin almost to the ground ;-))

• Haha 1

Tonight I flew the Snowy Peaks in a Camel.  Best VR 3D environment yet.  

I like Rotterdam but this one was really amazing.  Lots of non-obvious but very cool things going on that you don't notice until you check the VR.  

Your maps are unique.  Flying VR amidst those mountains added a new dimension to it.  You had to keep your head on a swivel looking for targets or threats; plus you had to think ahead to plan your maneuvers so they didn't end up running into Cumulus Granitis.  Too cool.

I flew five sorties.  Fought Manfred's red Alby with the trophy gun on the wing.  That black and white D7 the Walkure.  You're dogfighting over wreckage sliding down the icy slopes below.  LOL!  Looked funny as hell!

One time my engine got damaged and I couldn't get enough power to climb and fight so i went looking for a place to land.  Yeah right.  Down there.  I just followed the valley on down and then turned it toward the most level area I could find right before the wheels touched.  It worked.  Landed with the engine still running and shut it down parked on a  mild uphill slope.  Couldn't believe I made it.  Good fun.

You don't see this kind of thing anywhere else.  Very creative map making here.  Thanks, Fly!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Todt, I bet it's far out in VR.

It's still wip, the bots are pretty much 'fixed' now, but there's still a problem with the machine gunners.

Hopefully get that sorted the next day or two.

There's the occasional piece of ridge you can land on - all good emergency landing practice !

And if you get it wrong, you can experience sliding down the mountain yourself, always a good laugh.

S!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HiIIBiIIy said:

Isn't he one of the characters in Spartacus ? 

Yep.  He was Icarus and Daedalus' flight instructor.  And since CFI's never make any money, he took the part in Spartacus to pay for one of those new-fangled wax-wing flying thingamabobs.  In fact, he was the one who said, "Don't fly too close to the sun."  He drank too much and smelled awful.  I remember him well.

8 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Thanks Todt, I bet it's far out in VR.

It's still wip, the bots are pretty much 'fixed' now, but there's still a problem with the machine gunners.

Hopefully get that sorted the next day or two.

There's the occasional piece of ridge you can land on - all good emergency landing practice !

And if you get it wrong, you can experience sliding down the mountain yourself, always a good laugh.

S!

Oh no; thank YOU.  :-)

1720738759_CAMELATFLYS.jpg.8457181729d9039f21088d7be08982fd.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cheers Talby !

Quick update :

The Snowy Peaks map has now been sorted - the bots are no longer trying to rendezvous with the ISS, and the machine gunners now re-spawn with their machine guns.

I know I said 4 was enough a couple of weeks ago, but 6 definately is now !

Running order updated in the OP.

S!

2 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Damn I need to get on that snow mountain map.

I want there too .  I was on the server several times, I get other cards