Zooropa_Fly

Zoo Wings Server.

Introducing the above !

Has been running for a few days, mostly ok, so please use this thread to report any issues etc.

There have been occasional connection issues, and when I've tried leaving it running through the night (uk time) it's disconnected at some point.

I apologise if it's been showing but unaccessible. I'm looking into this for now..

*The current solitary map has just had balloons added and relevant ww1 objects replacing the stand-ins.

I hope to add a couple more maps soon to relieve the tedium !

It's a fairly simple dogfight and practice set up. Icons on. Think RoF older NFF maps.

Airstarts due to the current difficulties in suitable AF territory, a couple of minutes to get into the action.

The airstarts are protected by AAA.

Two pairs of bots fight eachother over N and S Lille by default, but they sometimes get dragged into fights elsewhere so the action isn't always predictable.

A 2 seater per side patrols above, and again can get dragged into a fight anytime.

There is a decent amount of space for human vs. human encounters if desired, though the bots shoot at far out ranges.. so keep yer eyes peeled !

There are also train, vehicle and balloon targets fro practice.

Thanks to all who have flown already, hopefully MP numbers start to pick up over the next few months.

Across all the servers.

S!

• Thanks 7

I was just about to log on last night when the server shut down.  Flown there twice before, though, and it's a good site.  

I flew at J5 and also in QM last night with the latest improvements to the game.  The aerodromes are still tiny but at least the ground is hard and dry enough to land and taxi on if you roll out beyond the infield.  I've only tested that twice but it seems the Devs fixed that glitch.

Looking forward to flying the Zoo and popping my first balloon in FCVR.  

Thanks!

I've flown it a few times; like the site and thanks for putting it together.  You had a good idea how it should be and it works.

I now understand that the Zoo files are available to me at the MP Server selection page; along with every other server site I've flown on.

There's a box to click if you want the server to be available to others on the Internet.

QUESTION:  Do I correctly understand that, if I were to upload, say, the Zoo to the active server site list and make it available to others on the Internet; that others would then be able to fly there same as I fly on yours when it's running on your computer? 

I ask because if that's the case, then the burden of keeping these sites active could be spread around between people by arrangement and that might be a good thing.

Just wonderin'...

@Todt_Von_Oben: I believe router ports still need forwarding like with using the Dserver, look here how ZF managed:

Edited by West

Todt !

Yes you have to do some router jiggery pokery.

If you click on the post West kindly provided above there's some information there.

But exact configuration can vary depending on your type of router etc.

As it stands I have 3 issued affecting my ability to leave the server up 24/7. I'm about to go and post in the Tech forum !

It'll be up during the day (Uk time) for now, but I don't want to leave it unsupervised over night when it keeps disconnecting.

Bloody computers.

S!

I should add that I'm not currently using DServer.

If you don't run this Todt (a 2nd copy of the game running the server only), you can't fly anywhere else and you have to be careful not to put much extra strain on the connection you use.

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

Brothers,  I don't even know what Dserver means.  LOL!  

It's cool.  You guys build the aerodromes.  I'll just fly when I'm online and something's available.  

Been flying the QM's on the new FC in VR tonight and it's really been amazing.  The bots are getting crafty.  I am checking the FR of how they flew tonight against me in a 5-to-1 and they worked surprisingly well.  I would imagine you guys are seeing the same.  I think the Devs have really come through.  Happy with what we have and do believe we'll see improvements in the future.  

Prosit!  

I've been having a lot of fun on your server, thanks!

I do have a couple of suggestions though.

First, flying low over Lille creates a massive drop in frame rate for me and probably for many other players too.

Second, i think you will attract more players if you mention in the title that the sever runs Flying Circus in normal mode with AI.

Thanks again for putting in the effort.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Wanderfalke.

Is it actually frame rate that's dropping ?

I get between 50-100 depending on where I am on the map which is fine. I do have stuttering problems though that doesn't seem to affect the FR.

I'd love to change the description, but it doesn't pick up what you type in the 'server description' box. So I don't know where to change it.

S!

The game for me runs fine at 60fps, but when flying low over buildings it drops to 38-40. It's not the fault of the map you're running, but it's because of my not so new PC. So for me and other people with older PCs, dog fighting low over a large city invokes a drop in frame rate, making the experience far from smooth.

The ice lake map runs smooth as butter though.

Thanks for this server.  It is good to have variety and I think this MP server is a nice addition :)

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Thanks 1

We had some quick and easy fun on your server last night. Thanks a lot for providing it! 👍:)

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

BTW: I went online the other night when you were down; used the "create server" function and there it was: in the list of available maps.  I left it open to the Internet; flew one sortie;  map ran great; just like when you're hosting it.  

I've flown there several times and it's never quite the same; the same foundation with a variety of good action every time.  Nothing but fun.  And I say the same about Misfits.

I've wanted something like this but not known how to go about gettin' it.  You guys built what I wish I could have.  Thanks!

P.S. The pic has nothing to do with the thread; just a little widow dressing: Werner Voss and the oft-debated "chrome yellow cowling and covers."  Custom skin by GooseH.

WV2.jpg

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

If that was Jasta Bozos, I couldn't log on.

Just because it shows on the server list, doesn't necessarily mean it's accessible to others.

You won't know until someone else appears.

If you did manage it, well done !

S!

Yep.  that's the name I gave it: Jasta Bozo.    

Okay and that answers what I've wondered about: whether others can log on.  I had it open to the Internet.  If there's anything else I could have done, I'm not aware of it.

But yeah, for me it worked fine.  I'll do it again sometime and leave it on for a while to see if anybody else is able to sign on.

Prosit!

Have you done the 'port forwarding' business with your router ?

If not it definately won't work.

S!

No; I don't know what port forwarding is.  All I know to do is hit "create server" and upload the Zoo map.

I know there's all sorts of advanced settings to ROF / FC and these servers but I don't know how to do any of that.  All I do is plug and play; run it just like it comes out of the box.  I'm what car customizers call "bone stock."  Wouldn't know how to make any changes.  Works for me as-is but I see there are advanced things I can't do.

It's a pain in the proverbial, but do-able !

If you're not doing that it's best to un-tick the 'available to the internet' box (or whatever it's called).

No point clogging up the list with something people can't access.

S!

• Upvote 1

Hey Fly!  Had a great time yesterday.  Haven't done a street race through town or a steeple chase fight in too long.  You flew the living schnit out of that 
Brisfit, too.  It's a big plane and to hang in the turns with a triplane, you gotta be good.  That was great.  S!

The site; everything is just perfect.  Thank you!

When I saw you head into that great big quonset hut-shaped building, I thought you were gonna fly through it.  (You and your gunner both survived the crash, BTW.)  So I came back around to try it.  But when I lined up and could see through, I thought the back wall was closed.  At that altitude, a moment of disorientation, my wheels struck, and  I crashed.

But after checking the FR, I see it does go through and what I saw were the buildings on the otherside of the street.  So... gonna go back soon for the expressed purpose of flying through that building.

I save all FR's and have made some screen grabs of the action at the Zoo.  I'll try to get them posted at DD this weekend.

Prosit!  

QUESTION:  Is it possible to set the Zoo up "mods on" so we can fly and see each others custom skins?  I've got a couple GooseH made for me.  You probably have several of your own, as do others.  Wouldn't that be cool?  Is it easily doable; maybe something you could install by clicking a checkbox or something like that? 

VOSS DOGFIGHT.jpg

Hey Todt, thanks for that !

Yeah the entrance to that railroad hangar was smaller than I remembered, considering I was in the Bristol lol.

You can get out the other end, but you have to pick the right way..

I don't think I need to run 'mods on' for you to fly with a custom skin, as per RoF.

I'll check I've not disabled that (I mean what humbug would ?), but I don't think it is.

If there's more to it hopefully someone will come along with info..

I'd like to run 'mods on' for the sake of a sensible icons system, various options do exist.

However people have to enable mods on at game start up, otherwise a mods on server isn't visible.

And I don't think many will do that.

I'm about to start a new map, so sorry won't be up until later.

S!

All good.  Next time I go there I'll be mods on if it shows up in the list of mods on servers.  Thanks.  

I was flying the Voss skin last night.  Did you see that or did I look generic to you?

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

@Todt_Von_Oben Not that I want to rain on your party but for others to see you in a custom skin they also need to have it in their game skinfolder or you'll be the only one seeing it ...

BTW if you host off the internet you’ll still have your own intra net at disposal so if second pc runs behind your router MP with that one is possible.
Of course you’ll need an addition FC account &  install and in absence of additional flying gear you could have have someone mouse-gunning behind you )))
PS no need to fw ports or anything for that too )))
Edited by West

You're right about other people seeing the skins; I forgot.  Thank you.

I did not know about the double-hosting thing, either.  We have three computers wired to our router.  I have spare CH stick and pedals.  So, with a second account I could fly on one computer and someone else could fly the other?  We could dogfight each other that way?    Hmmm...  

I bought a used computer from the University that was a gaming computer in its day.  I upgraded it, too.  I wonder if it can handle FC1 with Track IR?  If so, I have what it takes to make the system you described work.  

Interesting!  Thank you.

Easy to find out, just install BOX/FC on your secondary PC and find out if it can access the GUI-hosting one.

Works fine here without forwarding ports so I don't see why it would not on your system.

For just flying a gunseat you do not necessarily need a FC copy, just an other BOX account with a standard module would do for accessing any MP.

Edited by West
  • Upvote 1

New Maps.

Hot on the heels of 'The Icy Lake', comes 'The Murder Mud'. To add to 'The Lille Deal'.

I'll leave it running tonight, although it may crash at some point..

If anyone's on please feedback any performance issues. I may take a couple of things out.

No Dr1, DVIIf, nor Camel. 😛

Plan is to add one more map and have the four running soon, each an action packed 2 hours, all a bit different.

S!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow.  I flew the Murder Mud Map at the Zoo and it was rippin'!  Had some great fights with Scottsman and Baker.  Hairy.  Hectic.  Frantic.  We wuz GOIN' fo' it!  Great flying, gentlemen all.  Very impressed.  Had a great time.  I am actually bushed.  Gonna kick back for a while and check the FR.s  Had a great time.  Thank you.

THE MAP:  Everything seemed to work well.  Sure was a lot going on in the mud.  I could hear their muzzle reports when we were turning down low.  Gunfire.  Explosions.  Used the smoke from an ordinance blast for cover more than once.  Really just a damn good map.  I had a great time.  Got a balloon!  I did miss my Dr.1 but it's always fun mixing it up a bit.  

But the engine in my Halberstadt makes an odd, arythmic clattering noise over the sound of the engine.  I haven't flown that one in FC yet; anybody know what that might be?

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

Thanks Todt for the feedback - and by jove it was still running this morning :). Maybe the new ethernet cables did the trick..

Great to see the GT boys arrive at the party last night. S!

NIght before were x5 Wing Walkers and 2 of the IRRE chaps on Lille. I watched for a while before bed and it was great action.

At the moment, the bot artillery in the 'murder' mud is kill once.. doesn't respawn.

I'm planning to 'deactivate' them after an hour and replace them with the same again, just in different positions.

I figure if there's a few pilots going for targets, they'll get killed too quick and the action would be too slow later in the map.

Actually I've just had a better idea of how to manage that...

'..big smokes and destroyed buildings' - Not at the moment.. but are there some in the editor I could add for effect ?

Wouldn't matter if they were ww2 I suppose - I'll have a look.

S!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

….
But the engine in my Halberstadt makes an odd, arythmic clattering noise over the sound of the engine.  I haven't flown that one in FC yet; anybody know what that might be?

….

Specs about the Mercedes DIIIaü tell us that its improved performance at high altitudes implied setting it at full regime above the deck could bring detonations in the engine.

So think VIIf without altitude lever;
rather adjust the throttle )))

or take it higher like above 500m.

Edited by West
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, West said:

Specs about the Mercedes DIIIaü tell us that its improved performance at high altitudes implied setting it at full regime above the deck could bring detonations in the engine.

So think VIIf without altitude lever;
rather adjust the throttle )))

or take it higher like above 500m.

Cool, thanks.  That had me wondering.  The first thing I instinctively did was chop the throttle and you're right; it abated.  But when I'd go full throttle, there it was.  Okay.  Full throttle only with some altitude.  Got it.

I toasted my engine in the Alby several times trying to cope with Scouts and Spads.  Really had to watch that RPM.

Enjoyed flying the Pfalz, D7, and Cl2.  I always wanted to be a truck driver.  Dumbo the flying elephant.  Sheesh!  

(I know.  I'm just high on Triplanium.  Don't mind me...)

Been looking at the FR's and making some pics for DD just now.  Everybody flew really well.  In FC I've had bots work together against me; but a human pilot takes it that extra mile; he's just that much more intent and focused.  That's  the best thing a dogmeat server can offer and I was seeing that tonight.  Good job.  But the bots are excellent; they do all kinds of things that catch me laughing out loud; things you wouldn't expect.

Prosit!

2 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Do you guys have  big smokes and destroyed buildings near NML ?

Lots of big smoke from stuff blowing up in the free-fire zone but I didn't notice any ruins; doesn't mean they weren't there.  (I was looking for planes.)

I read one of the servers has a map with bombed-out buildings; I think it's the J5 Flugpark.

If inserting ruins is possible and Fly does it, that'll be great.  I enjoy making graphic screengrabs and some good warzone ruins would help me a lot.

• Like 1

First of all, I don't care about stats other than in the immediate to see how I did in the sortie.  But something happened that raises a question.

The other night at the Zoo I popped a balloon and the observers hopped.  I didn't shoot them.  Don't recall checking the stats, but am wondering how the game sees that.

If I shoot down a balloon; is that a kill?

If the observers jump and I waste them; is that three kills altogether?

Don't want to put any evil ideas in impressionable young minds; just curious.  Heh!  ;-)

YUMPER.jpg

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

There seems to be a bug with the Caquot British ballon (disappears / re-appears). I used the other one :)

I reported this yesterday in the Tech section, along with the fact they don't have icons.. nor contribute to the scoring system.

S!

• Upvote 1

We had a good time in your server ZF, the boys were very impressed and we'll help populate in in our time zone when we can. Was some good battles Todt, I tried to keep it 1v1 so not to discourage you in anyway. 

ZF maybe add all the planes at least as ai, would be good to fight a superior plane even if it's ai. 

Keep up the good work and I'll try to be on tonight, to bad our time zone sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hot times at the Zoo tonight.  Good fights with Barker and Capt Maxx.  Did a steeple chase and some street racing.  Got my clock cleaned.  Salute!

Hey Fly!  I flew through the train station building!  Had an aileron gone but tried it anyway.  I remembered what you said about "which way to go" on the other side and got a quick look at it as I was coming around.  Suh-weet buzz-job, brah!  And when I reached the other end I pulled up and went to my right.  I gotta check the FR.  There's gotta be some interesting pics there.

Thanks all.  Had fun.

Prosit!

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

Hey!  Keep 'em coming, Fly.  Every time you and Biker post a new map; dogfighters get a new game to play.  Thanks!

I think I mentioned I got into a collision the other day (with an excellent human pilot and we both know it was unintentional) and got the left outer third of my top wing torn off.  The train station just happened to be right there so I flew through it successfully that time.  (Remember: I crunched it the time before trying to chase you in the Brisfit.)  Yep.  What you said about choosing the right direction to go in while leaving is important.  But I won't spoil it here; I'll let others enjoy finding out as I did.  Good fun!  

But here's the thing.  I went back a couple days later and was flying through it without any problems or obstacles (I checked the FR) when suddenly my plane pitched up vertically, stalled, and crashed.  Heck, I can't even make it pitch up that quickly!  And as you can see in the pic; I was pitching down trying to stop it without any effect.

So I think maybe they've been using the train station as a hangar for that invisible DVII and I must have bounced my wheels off his top wing.  Beware!  ;-)

I don't think I can do a loop in there and it looks too short for an aileron roll but I wonder if I could do a snap-roll and make it to the exit okay?  Something to shoot for.  :-)

TRAIN STATION PITCH GLITCH.jpg

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

So I think maybe they've been using the train station as a hangar for that invisible DVII and I must have bounced my wheels off his top wing.  Beware! 😉

I think your plane is trying to mate wit an invisible D7. Just one of those typical hangar hook-ups.

• Haha 1