phoenixjohnconnor

No missions, no career, no campaign?

I really think it's time for community to start making scripted campaigns, a'la Hat in the Ring / Du Doch nicht / Achtung spitfire. The tools are all there. Two well made campaigns and we are better SP than original CloD release :D.

1CGS did the heavy lifting by giving us the planes, everything except career is in our range. Ideally, we should ask them to distribute the campaigns for free alongside FC.

I also wonder if the work on adapting the BoX career for FC could be passed to trusted parts of community, like Pat or Syndicate... if they were ever be willing to take it.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Upvote 1

Why would Pat work on the career?

As for scripted campaigns you are absolutely correct - the community needs to pick up the ball on that one.

Nothing beats the quality of a hand-crafted mission/campaign, but it’s a ton of work and yields fewer missions.

So better get cracking ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Would it really take that much to do something like WoFF's campaign?  From what I understand most of the work was converting a flight simulator that wasnt made for WW1.

And then just look what Pat Wilson is able to do.

Of course WoFFs flight models are really hard to cope with after playing RoF and FC.  Seems like what little market there is is ripe for something that would blend the two.  It's a shame that a handful of modders seem more motivated than the devs in this regard, but I'm still happy to have them (the modders).

Its more then that. It features historical weather, a richer scenery which feels like you are flying over a battlefield. The front looks much nicer then the brown stripe we have. If I remember correct, it even moves.

And it has a nice feature to fill out a claim for wach kill.

The absolute overkill would be both teams working together.

10 hours ago, J2-Oelmann said:

Its more then that. It features historical weather, a richer scenery which feels like you are flying over a battlefield. The front looks much nicer then the brown stripe we have. If I remember correct, it even moves.

And it has a nice feature to fill out a claim for wach kill.

The absolute overkill would be both teams working together.

So from a career point of view what do you see in WOFF that does not exist in PWCG?  Just curious as it never hurts to learn a thing or two.

• Upvote 3

The whole map is more alive then the rather antiseptic il2/RoF map. The scenery (in my eyes) Shows a more convoncing Battlefield. All weather is historic.

You are more involved in the squadron. Having to claim each kill and get it rejected is a nice feature.The whole Game is made for the singleplayer-experience, rather then a Multiplayer with a (good) campaign in the top.

I did. Its great. No doubt in that. It is a great tool for a singleplayer-experience in IL2. I Just prefer Woff for Singleplayer. I think the scenery is much richer in that game. The moving front alone is a great thing that I miss dearly in IL2. For FC and ROF the small brown stripe never manages to give a convincing picture of the Western front.

But it has no ground in the graphics and fidelity of the simulation itself.

8 hours ago, J2-Oelmann said:

The whole map is more alive then the rather antiseptic il2/RoF map. The scenery (in my eyes) Shows a more convoncing Battlefield. All weather is historic.

You are more involved in the squadron. Having to claim each kill and get it rejected is a nice feature.The whole Game is made for the singleplayer-experience, rather then a Multiplayer with a (good) campaign in the top.

LOL, this could describe PWCG as well! I guess it all comes down to taste...😀

Best feature of PWCG for me is the ability to do a coop campaign, which we are in fact doing with Syndicate as well, besides flying on public MP servers.

Edited by SYN_Vander

@J2-Oelmann I said that because one of the ways in which WOFF is better that you listed was declaring victories.  That has been a feature of PWCG for years so I was curious as to why this is a differentiating feature.  

The original question was a serious one.  I do act on ideas that make the campaign better. 

I had a conversation with a WOFF developer sometime ago concerning pilot personalities, background stories, etc.  I think WOFF does things like pilot personality conflicts that actually impact flying performance.  Not sure which aspects make sense for PWCG/FC.  

Some things I might not do: example, historical weather.  PWCG has realistic weather.  PWCG weather is also configurable to allow for different user preferences.  That, by definition, makes it not precisely historical.  Honestly I would not make that change.  Other things ... definitely open to new ideas.

Hey Pat, Woff doesn't have personality profiles. That was a separate MOD for the older OFF. Called OFFice.

Woff has an AI that makes it's decision based on morale (squad and pilot), pilot fatigue, plane's strength in relation to opponents, number of opponents, injury, flying in enemy territory, etc.. it is listed in detail on WOFF website.

However, back on topic about OFFice. I think FC combined with PWCG would integrate beautifully with OFFice. It's a text based RPG which would allow you to fly missions (in FC, for example) an reflect the mission outcome in the RPG. Also, it deals with complexities of death, snobby officers, mess hall parties, engineers, munitions officer, chaplain, etc..

I am not a programmer, but I do have the source code. If you're interested to go down this path....

https://youtu.be/bgRPXUgUqxI

Edited by yaan98
  • Like 1