Peen

What is the state of the game right now?

I was considering giving TC a go, but I'm wondering about a few things and I couldn't find a good answer.

- What happens to tanks post-penetration? Does penetration of crew compartment always result in the tank being knocked out/crew bailing out?

- How realistic is the asset implementation? Are there AT guns or other infantry manned AT weapons? Or hunter-killer teams? Or is the game mostly about tank vs tank combat? Mines?

- What about the Prokhorovka map? Are there any annoying things like ultra tall grass or any of those kinds of jabronis?

- What are the ballistics and projectile collisions like? Can you shoot through thin walls or trees or do bullets collide with any object? 

- In single player, can you communicate orders and organize your platoon?

I'm a huge fan of Steel Fury Kharkov 1942 which in my opinion was the greatest WWII tank simulator up to date, but a fool would argue that it didn't age. In fact, it looks like it was made the same year as the events it attempts to portray, but many of it's features were groundbreaking and only seen there. I'm curious to see if Tank Crew can de-throne Steel Fury and I want to know what you guys have to say about it.

Edited by Peen

10 hours ago, Peen said:

What happens to tanks post-penetration?

Crew get killed, different damages of systems. Tank can explode.

10 hours ago, Peen said:

Does penetration of crew compartment always result in the tank being knocked out/crew bailing out?

Not always but not rare

11 hours ago, Peen said:

- How realistic is the asset implementation? Are there AT guns or other infantry manned AT weapons? Or hunter-killer teams? Or is the game mostly about tank vs tank combat? Mines?

Average-Low. Several AT-guns and field artellery are in game. Other manned AT-weapon - no. Yet no infantry, trenches etc. Don't know what is hunter-killer team. Yes, I'd say it is mostly tank vs tank game (for now).

11 hours ago, Peen said:

What about the Prokhorovka map?

Good enough, but little bit empty - no trenches, bunkers, anti-tank ditches... Playable.

11 hours ago, Peen said:

- What are the ballistics and projectile collisions like? Can you shoot through thin walls or trees or do bullets collide with any object? 

I'd say very good. You can shoot through minor buildings and trees. Ricochets are present. But there are several questions about tank damage models..

11 hours ago, Peen said:

In single player, can you communicate orders and organize your platoon?

Now no, but as I know this will be in next update (should be out this week or so..)

• Upvote 3

I can add a bit more detail.

13 hours ago, Peen said:

- What happens to tanks post-penetration? Does penetration of crew compartment always result in the tank being knocked out/crew bailing out?

-Individual crewmen get killed, degrading the combat capability of your tank.

-Components such as the engine, transmission, tracks, optics, weapons, etc. get damaged

-There's a possibility of fires or fuel leaks.

13 hours ago, Peen said:

-Player-controlled tanks are very detailed. It's a similar level to aircraft in the sim.

-Rest is not great, not terrible. You usually fight various static AT positions, tank formations, trucks, and artillery.

13 hours ago, Peen said:

- What about the Prokhorovka map? Are there any annoying things like ultra tall grass or any of those kinds of jabronis?

-It's essentially a flight sim map with detailed structures and a finer mesh for better topography. Nothing really annoying or surprising. The large scale is great though.

13 hours ago, Peen said:

-There's a nice selection of fairly realistic HE, APHE, APCR, etc. as well as machine guns, although the effects of hits on tanks are sometimes questionable.

-You can shoot through and destroy structures. Trees can be knocked down by driving into them.

13 hours ago, Peen said:

- In single player, can you communicate orders and organize your platoon?

-Yes, this feature just got released in today's update.

13 hours ago, Peen said:

I'm curious to see if Tank Crew can de-throne Steel Fury and I want to know what you guys have to say about it.

-TC is doing most things very well, but it's still a bit short in terms of ground unit variety. Hopefully this can improve in the future.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

1 hour ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:
15 hours ago, Peen said:

-It's essentially a flight sim map with detailed structures and a finer mesh for better topography. Nothing really annoying or surprising. The large scale is great though.

You have destructible houses in the Prokhorovka part of the map. You can drive your tank through them and they can be destroyed by bombs and maybe cannons, too. However I am not sure about the last.

its the best ww2 tank sim ive ever played. every scripted mission is like a movie but the quick missions still need alot of work  

ive tried I just CANNOT play an armor sim without infantry. In any era. But *especially ww2*

6 minutes ago, Dutchconfederate said:

will there be infantry added eventually? 

I dont think so, and I will not be satisfied with just few sprites or low res/3d model objects in 2020.

18 hours ago, Stummyhurt said:

its the best ww2 tank sim ive ever played. every scripted mission is like a movie but the quick missions still need alot of work  

Did you played Panzer Elite? Much better in mission design.

5 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

Did you played Panzer Elite? Much better in mission design.

Yes, the mission design could be better but I have never played a game that simulates being a tank commander or any other role of the tank crew in such detail. Its really amazing how well the automated gunners and drivers work while the game is in a state of early release. Its awesome to be able to just sit back in the top of the turret and watch the battle/mission around you through the cupola while your crew does their jobs 

Yeah I admit no infantry is a big immersion killer. The world just seems so sterile without troops or camps anywhere to be seen.,

yeah but with infantry game rating would go up and if they can be killed some countries that a 18+ or 16+ rating.
that would cut down our already tiny MP community of like 3,000 players. 

Do we have binos? Or just the VR zoom (playing TC in VR currently). 

Also, how come in that 1943 we're still seeing some early war German Panzer Grey paint schemes in the scripted German campaign on some of the support vehicles? By then, all vehicles should be at least in Panzer Yellow... :)

Oh, and not to mention - why does the Tiger have the Feifel Filter system, as from what I understand, was only used in North Africa and not used in 1943? 

Edited by RainMan

59 minutes ago, RainMan said:

Do we have binos?

Was announced for one of the next updates.

1 hour ago, RainMan said:

Also, how come in that 1943 we're still seeing some early war German Panzer Grey paint schemes in the scripted German campaign on some of the support vehicles? By then, all vehicles should be at least in Panzer Yellow...

Yes, I too, hope this will be changed. TC is still early access, so we can hope, that those details get overworked.

1 hour ago, RainMan said:

Oh, and not to mention - why does the Tiger have the Feifel Filter system, as from what I understand, was only used in North Africa and not used in 1943? 

I think they were standard on the early Tigers.

@Yogiflight - thanks for the info. :)

21 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

I think they were standard on the early Tigers.

I stand corrected - googled a Kursk-era Tiger and it had those Feifel Filters as well (looks like "our" S11 one, too): 

4dPCUnS.png

Edited by RainMan