Jump to content

Content Downloader - Install new missions with a click of a mouse


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, caricolaaaa said:

 

It seems to work. I will check it later and bring feedback back. Thank you for this excellent program.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, and you are welcome :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[BVS]HomeFries

I think this is a great idea for a program.  It could be like a Minion or pre-Amazon Twitch for IL-2.

 

Here are some recommendations based on what I have seen thus far:

  1. Keep a local table with the application that tracks what content has been downloaded and what version of the content has been downloaded if possible.
  2. On application start, check what has already been downloaded with both the available content and current version.
  3. Have a tab or filter for updated content (as opposed to all content) so people know if a skin pack or campaign has been updated since the last download.
  4. If something has already been downloaded, mark it as such so people don't forget and re-download content already present.
  5. Additional filters for downloaded content and un-downloaded content would be great.
  6. Perhaps even a "new content" filter that compares the upload date of content with the last date the Content Downloader was run.

I haven't yet played with updating mission files, but my recommendations would also be to track download date or the date the file was updated, as well as the version updated to (i.e. the version of IL-2 present on the system).  Comparing the date/version of the mission with the date of the latest patch (either manual update or by checking the IL-2 EXE version information) could tell us at a glance which files likely require updates.

 

Again, major props for taking the initiative on this project.  I will follow this closely, and I wish you luck!

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2020 at 9:06 PM, [BVS]HomeFries said:

I think this is a great idea for a program.  It could be like a Minion or pre-Amazon Twitch for IL-2.

 

Here are some recommendations based on what I have seen thus far:

  1. Keep a local table with the application that tracks what content has been downloaded and what version of the content has been downloaded if possible.
  2. On application start, check what has already been downloaded with both the available content and current version.
  3. Have a tab or filter for updated content (as opposed to all content) so people know if a skin pack or campaign has been updated since the last download.
  4. If something has already been downloaded, mark it as such so people don't forget and re-download content already present.
  5. Additional filters for downloaded content and un-downloaded content would be great.
  6. Perhaps even a "new content" filter that compares the upload date of content with the last date the Content Downloader was run.

I haven't yet played with updating mission files, but my recommendations would also be to track download date or the date the file was updated, as well as the version updated to (i.e. the version of IL-2 present on the system).  Comparing the date/version of the mission with the date of the latest patch (either manual update or by checking the IL-2 EXE version information) could tell us at a glance which files likely require updates.

 

Again, major props for taking the initiative on this project.  I will follow this closely, and I wish you luck!

 

Thanks a lot for feedback, I really appreciate it!
You have suggested many great ideas.

Edited by Zeev
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Zeev, all,

 

I very recently picked up BOB and am truly impressed with the game and diving into it more deeply. Have there been any updates beyond this steam on the content downloader. Great idea and really looking forward to getting into more scripted content created by the community.

 

Great job and initiative, thank you!

 

csbeau

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 12:02 AM, csbeau1969 said:

Hi Zeev, all,

 

I very recently picked up BOB and am truly impressed with the game and diving into it more deeply. Have there been any updates beyond this steam on the content downloader. Great idea and really looking forward to getting into more scripted content created by the community.

 

Great job and initiative, thank you!

 

csbeau

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
I was working on a third update 0.3 version for the past half a year but found bugs upon bugs which caused me to hold the release. I hope I will release the third update soon.
I am definitely thinking adding an option for other users to upload their campaigns, but this needs some work, hopefully will be added in a future update.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:26 PM, Zeev said:

I am definitely thinking adding an option for other users to upload their campaigns, but this needs some work, hopefully will be added in a future update.

Omg that would be a dream. Thank you so much

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 2:25 PM, Dutch2 said:

@Zeev link is dead!

 

Yes unfortunately its not worth paying for hosting with the rates of activity the application got.

It never got more than 10-20 visitors a month (if we are talking about good month activity), so it was like 2$ per visitor from my wallet.

Maybe in the future I will have time to:

1. Expand it to other games so more people will use it so that can increase visits

2. Use Google drive or similar service that costs less money but will require a huge amount of code rework because it means I need to implement the usage of Google API for this.

Dont get me wrong, I have never counted on visits to profit from Ads or something, its just makes you less motivated to invest in a project that no one uses.

 

For any one interested in the offline feature (mission resaving) I can maybe reupload it somewhere.. Let me know.

Edited by Zeev
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SYN_Haashashin unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...