chowzer

Oculus Rift S - drawing boundaries needed for IL2?

I just got back into gaming, and bought the Oculus Rift S to use with IL2 BOS. All are new to me after a long hiatus from PC flight sims.

New to VR too, so here's my newbie question: Oculus keeps asking me to use Guardian to draw boundaries for the play area.

When seated at my desk in front of my PC, keyboard and HOTAS, do I really need to draw boundaries? 

If this is not needed, then how do I turn this Guardian thing off as it keeps popping up to prompt me to draw boundaries?

Hi,

If I remember correctly You need to draw the boundaries during setup, after that You can turn them off in the settings menu under common settings, called "security" something if I remember. I also use a 3d party add on called "guardian boundary editor" to fine tune the boundary. I also recommend using "Oculus Tray Tool" and "Open Composite" instead of Steam VR.

Or skip them, if you are flightsimming, you don't do that standing up straight and walking around in you room right?

I set the ground floor level and then skip the boundaries setup and then press acknowledge.

Hey Chowzer, I'm pretty much the same as you. Long time away from PC sims and now back in to it with Oculus Rift S. The boundary thing is easy to set up but can be a bit annoying when you lean forward in the cockpit as the blue wall warning pops up. However, with the Rift S, if you select the option to look through the wall (can't recall what the option's called) you can temporarily peer in to the real world, through the wall. I've set my wall up at the edge of the desk, so when I peer through it, I can see my keyboard, mouse etc. Really useful too for spotting my cup of tea although unfortunately you can't easily drink it with the headset on!!

PPP

I just draw a large boundary with my controller when setting up guardian so that I know I will never have the grid pop up whilst seated gaming.

You can turn the boundary off in your settings in game.

That's what I do whenever I play a seated game.  Then just flip it back on when needed in other games.

6 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

You can turn the boundary off in your settings in game.

That's what I do whenever I play a seated game.  Then just flip it back on when needed in other games.

There is no way to turn off Oculus Guardian from within IL-2 that I am aware of.

You can either create a room size, sitting/standing, or skip guardian setup and not have guardian all from within the Oculus software.

Edited by dburne

On 12/26/2019 at 5:36 PM, dburne said:

There is no way to turn off Oculus Guardian from within IL-2 that I am aware of.

You can either create a room size, sitting/standing, or skip guardian setup and not have guardian all from within the Oculus software.

Sure there is...go into the main menu..go to settings...guardian..turn off guardian.  I do it everytime I play any of my sit down games.