Johnhil06

Dogfighting with the P-38

If we're going to use old Il-2 as a reference point, you do know the combat flap settings in that game jammed up if you attempted to drop them at any point above 180 IAS, that's only a 70 mph error in modeling.  They didn't deploy correctly either as they do now, combat flap was a far less angle.  It never was 'officially' fixed despite solid published data.

Edited by [CPT]Crunch

16 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

Seems it was more realistic in 1946 honestly

46 was complete trash when it came to flight models. It was popular because it looked pretty for the time and felt less on rails than sim of the era. It was also extensively modded. It had wildly different performance values to other sims at the time and sims that exist today for the same aircraft. Holtzauge has already done independent calculations to verify that il2gb does indeed have correct modeling on the 38 and other aircraft. Additionally the P-38 we have in il2gb performs like P-38s did in every past sim except 46.

14 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

McGuire died because he tried to engage a lonely Ki-43 in a turnfight.

I am not saying a P-38 could turn with a ki-43, but mcguire died because he failed to jettison his tanks.

"This extremely dangerous maneuver, performed at an altitude of only 300 ft (90 m) (contrary to McGuire's own dictates never to engage at a low altitude[12]), caused McGuire's P-38 to stall. It snap rolled inverted and nosed down into the ground. Despite the low altitude, McGuire nearly pulled out successfully; had he jettisoned his drop tanks at the start of the dogfight, he might have managed it "

And since were quoting anecdotes....

"During the late winter of 1944 ocurred the famous dual between a
Griffon-engined Spitfire XV and a P-38H of the 364FG. Col. Lowell few the
P-38, engaging the Spitfire at 5,000 ft. in a head-on pass. Lowell was
able to get on the Spitfire's tail and stay there no matter what the
Spitfire pilot did. Although the Spitfire could execute a tighter turning
circle than the P-38, Lowell was able to use the P-38's excellent stall
characteristics to repeatedly pull inside the Spit's turn radius and ride
the stall, then back off outside the Spit's turn, pick up speed and cut
back in again in what he called a "cloverleaf" maneuver. After 20 minutes
of this, at 1,000 ft. altitude, the Spit tried a Spit-S (at a 30-degree
angle, not vertically down). Lowell stayed with the Spit through the
maneuver, although his P-38 almost hit the ground. After that the
Spitfire pilot broke off the engagement and flew home. This contest was
witnessed by 75 pilots on the ground."

Edited by [TLC]YIPPEE
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, [TLC]YIPPEE said:

I am not saying a P-38 could turn with a ki-43, but mcguire died because he failed to jettison his tanks.

McGuire didn't fail to jettison tanks, he just didn't. Who knows if he tried ?

But jettisonning tanks meant to go back home earlier and less chance to engage more enemy and he was on a race with Bong so he ordered other pilots to don't do so without orders from him.

8 hours ago, StaB/Tomio_VR*** said:

McGuire didn't fail to jettison tanks, he just didn't. Who knows if he tried ?

But jettisonning tanks meant to go back home earlier and less chance to engage more enemy and he was on a race with Bong so he ordered other pilots to don't do so without orders from him.

Eh?

Whether or not he accidentally or deliberately kept his dropped tanks is irrelevant to any argument being put forth.

The fact is Tomio, is that you have an agenda against the P-38 - you have already decided that it should be inferior to the German types and claim that in the sim it isn't.

The evidence out there makes that a far less unequivocal position than you would like.

Any 'evidence' you have thus far provided - slim, at the most generous description - is anecdotal. Where are your numbers?

Here are some. I suggest you read:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-38/p-38.html

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Dumb question maybe. I Cannot find the Fuel Tank Selector Switch key binding on the sim. With full fuel, and after a 40 minute flight in the carreer mode i end up with both engines out, even if during the transit flight i adopt around 35" mmHG MP as a power setting. i dont understand why the engines quit, as the gauge is still indicating a lot of fuel remaining...

any clue ?

1 minute ago, Johnhil06 said:

Dumb question maybe. I Cannot find the Fuel Tank Selector Switch key binding on the sim. With full fuel, and after a 40 minute flight in the carreer mode i end up with both engines out, even if during the transit flight i adopt around 35" mmHG MP as a power setting. i dont understand why the engines quit, as the gauge is still indicating a lot of fuel remaining...

any clue ?

What's your RPM?