Sign in to follow this  
Bies

Tempest cooling

Today i've tried the migty Tempest. I have one question, how to use radiator?

I saw only two positions: fully open, but this adds drag and fully closed, but this overheats the engine fast.

It shouldn't overheat fast in flight. Standard practice was closed in level flight and open for ground and steep climbs.

• Like 1

And during combat? I want to say "closed" but that is also a moment where you end up stretching your engine.

I'll say though, that is not your typical radiator! Even closed it seems to provide quite some cooling.

Radiator should be closed as long as you're above 200mph, and frankly, given the current modelling, there is basically no reason to open it ever. I've never seen my engine overheat in the Tempest.

In any case, if you see your temps rise a bit too high for your taste (and the gauges are easy to read in the Tempest), open the rad for a few seconds in level flight and you will be close to overcooling.

Edited by Quinte

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

It shouldn't overheat fast in flight. Standard practice was closed in level flight and open for ground and steep climbs.

Agreed.

High altitude you might want to run with it open if your going to do some maneuvering, not much drag any way, and she will boil and vent very quick if you don't watch it.  But than up there your out of your best performance range, not a whole lot of reasons to be there, except if your running clean up crew behind some lightnings.

when prolonged climbing at high engine settings or slow speeds at higher altitude (lower boiling temp) you might overheat with rads closed. I've only had it occur to me on summer maps. 99% of time I'm on closed rads.

A little O/T but speaking of the tempest at altitude my god what a difference switching supercharger gears in her is at 9,500 ft.  Most noticeable IMO in the game

Hey guys what's the key combination to open/close the radiator? Thank you.