I've heard that open composite can really improve performance over steamvr, but what kinda gain are we talkin' here? Is it a potential 2 or 3 fps boost or more like a double digit thing? Just curious if it's worth getting into. FPS gain would be my primary motivation.

EDIT:

Just tried it out. If you have any doubts about this program, let it go and give it a try. Obviously results will vary, but it worked tremendously well for my rig. I went from 45-60FPS via Steam VR, to a nearly rock solid 70-80FPS even on the ground with open composite. 

Edited by TheWarsimmer

Fully agree, I have been using it for some time now. Great program for Rift users.

I really thought it wouldn't be worth it, but it has been responsible for the single biggest FPS boost in VR I've seen. Jumping about 30fps is insane. Not even sure how it's possible but it works. Ghosting is completely gone.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TheWarsimmer said:

I really thought it wouldn't be worth it, but it has been responsible for the single biggest FPS boost in VR I've seen. Jumping about 30fps is insane. Not even sure how it's possible but it works. Ghosting is completely gone.

Ghosting in career missions?   If so, what are your rig specs if you don't mind?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, cmorris975 said:

Ghosting in career missions?   If so, what are your rig specs if you don't mind?

Thanks.

16 gig ram, (2x8gb)
Geforce 1080 8gb
i7-7700k 4.2ghz 

The "ghosting" was really more of a slight mini stutter/double image when planes would fly across you, or when passing ground units at high speeds and low alts. But it was noticeable. Always seemed to be worse with ASW enabled, so I would manually disable it. With open composite and those 70-80fps I go ASW off and it's butter smooth.

Settings are modest for the most part. Medium shadows, balanced preset, simple mirrors and 2x AA (I prefer to keep SS at 1.0). The only time I dip below 70FPS now is on MP servers with heavy ground clutter, like Combat Box.

Edited by TheWarsimmer

31 minutes ago, TheWarsimmer said:

It just shows how much of a resource hog Steam VR has become.

I would not mind trying something out like the Reverb someday, but not unless the Devs offered direct support rather than relying on having to use Steam VR also.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dburne said:

It just shows how much of a resource hog Steam VR has become.

I would not mind trying something out like the Reverb someday, but not unless the Devs offered direct support rather than relying on having to use Steam VR also.

I've been trying to make a decision over upgrading my Rift to a Reverb but having to use Steam VR and/or WMR keeps bringing me back to getting a Rift S as a stop gap and continuing to use Open Composite whilst the game and the VR headset market sorts itself out. 

22 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

I've been trying to make a decision over upgrading my Rift to a Reverb but having to use Steam VR and/or WMR keeps bringing me back to getting a Rift S as a stop gap and continuing to use Open Composite whilst the game and the VR headset market sorts itself out. 

Well I will tell you, whilst on paper certainly the Rift S is not up to the display specs of the Reverb, it is still a very nice kit and nice experience overall. Plus with my rig I can run with pretty high graphics options and get very good performance overall. And the thing just works with hardly any faffing about.

Having said that though, I will say I have not tried a Reverb so can not speak from experience with one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I agree with dburne. The rift s looks pretty good and you can read the cockpit. Upgraded from a CV1 and there is a good increase in clarity. I didn't like the headstrap at first, but now that I am used to the ergonomics it is way better than the CV1 in that department. Just make sure you have right ipd. The only negatives are the touch controls seem to run out of battery fast, and the fov. If I could keep everything the same but increase fov, I'd say it was by far the best all around set on the market for price.

I've been trying to get Open Composite working with my oculus rift, but now I don't know how to start up il2 with it. I've already switched Open Composite on but I don't see an Icon for Il2 in oculus home and I've tried open Il2 via the desktop but then it's not in vr. Any help would be appreciated.

14 minutes ago, Detal said:

I've been trying to get Open Composite working with my oculus rift, but now I don't know how to start up il2 with it. I've already switched Open Composite on but I don't see an Icon for Il2 in oculus home and I've tried open Il2 via the desktop but then it's not in vr. Any help would be appreciated.

IIRC after you switch Open Composite from Steam VR to use Open Composite, you need to close and restart it again - then close it out again.

Been a while since I configured mine so not sure I am remembering correctly - you should see an IL-2 icon in the Open Composite Configuration tab. Also you can set default runtime to Open Composite.

You can even right click the IL-2 icon and select it to always use Open Composite.

You might just need to play around with it a bit to get it working for ya.

Edited by dburne

Thanks for replying, but I've tried to switch between open comp. and steam vr several times and restarted my pc too but there is no change. The only icon I see is steam. I'll try to use steamvr to see if that ads il2 to the configuration.

3 minutes ago, Detal said:

Thanks for replying, but I've tried to switch between open comp. and steam vr several times and restarted my pc too but there is no change. The only icon I see is steam. I'll try to use steamvr to see if that ads il2 to the configuration.

Yeah I believe you definitely will want to see IL-2 listed in there in addition to Steam, I know mine is.

I managed to add it by going in the oculus library by pressing on the '+' sign in the top right corner i could find il2. And by turning opencomposite on and of I, was able to find il2 there too. I tried to open il2 in oculus home but I'm only getting a screen of oculus home in vr while i can hear il2 in the background. When looking to my monitor I can also see il2 running in vr.

update:

I managed to make it work just by restarting my pc 😁 thanks for the help guys. I hope i'll get some more performance it already fixed the broken loading screen, so thats somthing

Edited by Detal

7 minutes ago, Detal said:

I managed to add it by going in the oculus library by pressing on the '+' sign in the top right corner i could find il2. And by turning opencomposite on and of I, was able to find il2 there too. I tried to open il2 in oculus home but I'm only getting a screen of oculus home in vr while i can hear il2 in the background. When looking to my monitor I can also see il2 running in vr.

update:

I managed to make it work just by restarting my pc 😁 thanks for the help guys. I hope i'll get some more performance it already fixed the broken loading screen, so thats somthing

:dance:

Have fun!!

Is it possible that the supersampling values changed in the oculus traytool and 0 or 1 ss only is native to only the rift s?

5 hours ago, Detal said:

I runs worse than before

That does not sound right really, most get a nice boost - I know I did.

No, SS values did not change, though with Rift S technically you should not need as high as with say the CV1. I run a1.4 SS msyelf.

Ok, maybe I did something wrong. Could you tell me what you did with steam and Il2 in the open composite options?

2 hours ago, Detal said:

Ok, maybe I did something wrong. Could you tell me what you did with steam and Il2 in the open composite options?

TIBfFiG.jpg

HwdrIsX.jpg

On 11/2/2019 at 1:25 AM, TheWarsimmer said:

Just tried it out. If you have any doubts about this program, let it go and give it a try. Obviously results will vary, but it worked tremendously well for my rig. I went from 45-60FPS via Steam VR, to a nearly rock solid 70-80FPS even on the ground with open composite. 

Late to the party, but I confirm, very significant boost. Enough to convince me to give up the exorcist view and world scale adjustment. Goodbye SteamVR.

• Like 1

I think it does have something to do with SS. I put a HUD (layer) on with the oculus tray tool (version 1.42.0) and at 1 (pixel per display pixel override), 1212 by 1440 were rendered. So I reduced the "pixel per display pixel override" to 0.9 and this gave a resolution of 1080 by 1296. Now I have pretty stable  90 fps in quick missions of 8vs8 with heavy overcast weather, but in multiplayer I'm mostly at 80-85 fps.

I feel like the performance is getting worse with each update. I remember in the past before the Kuban map update I could achieve stable 90 fps with no SS; high settings; SSAO on; HDR on; shadows on low-medium; 4x landscape filter and AAx4 plus the clouds weren't broken with aircraft disappearing in front of them. Now I have turn everything down except for AA; "high clouds" and "high graphics" to get a reasonably good looking game (I never used ss and replaced it with 4xAA because it used less performance). 

It probably also has something to do with regular steamvr and oculus updates, but also the fact that I can't turn down the the graphics settings from high to balanced and "high clouds" to "medium clouds"  to get more performance without having the broken clouds where planes disappear makes it really difficult to play in multiplayer.

Is it possible to set the resolution of the rift to the native 1080 by 1200. Maybe the fact that 103.680 pixels are being rendered for nothing has something to do with the problem.

(for the people who are wondering: I have a gtx 1070; I7 7700K (OC: 4.9 with aircooler); ddr4 2666 Mhz ram; samsung ssd)

7 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

Is there any how-to for Open Composite with IL2? I have never used it before.. 

It is fairly straightforward, suggest to download the program and read the readme included with the files.

I did the system wide thing, was pretty simple iirc.

Hello All.. 

What a major difference from Steam.. I have owned a Rift so sometime and finally decided to see if I could tweak it enough to leave Track IR.. thus far Open Composite is a game changer.

I do I have one question though.. I can't get my fps about 45.. 

I don't get shutters on the briefing map with Open Composite and I have tinkered with Balanced up to Ultra settings..   any ideas?

13 hours ago, AH_Hollywood said:

Hello All.. 

What a major difference from Steam.. I have owned a Rift so sometime and finally decided to see if I could tweak it enough to leave Track IR.. thus far Open Composite is a game changer.

I do I have one question though.. I can't get my fps about 45.. 

I don't get shutters on the briefing map with Open Composite and I have tinkered with Balanced up to Ultra settings..   any ideas?

Get Oculus Tray Tool (OTT),  there you can configure your rift (Super Sampling, ASW). ASW  sets your fps to 45fps if its on,  auto  switches to 45 when 90fps cant be provided by your system. You can also completly turn ASW off.

Running open composite with steam IL-2, frame rate boost is great compared to SteamVR but it there a way to "Enable VR HMD" through the startup.cfg file and keep it as read only?

Every time I exit a VR session, the next time I start the game it starts in 2D and I have to go to settings, tick "Enable VR HMD" then Apply and Restart otherwise it won't work. There are some settings like grass and bloom off that reset each time the game launches and the only way I know to get around this is to use read only.

or_enable = 1 does nothing for me.

Must be something peculiar with Steam perhaps as I do not get that running Open Composite with my non-Steam IL-2.

Hopefully someone else with the Steam version of the game can help you with that.

• Like 1

Hello VR folk,

I have just downloaded and installed Open Composite 'system wide' and have a couple of questions :

How do I add IL-2 to Open Composite's 'App Configuration' tab?

I see that you can set SS in Open Composite, if I want to adjust this in Oculus Tray tool, do I leave it at the default SuperSample ratio in Open Composite? and then presumably I increase SuperSampling in Oculus Tray Tool afterwards?

To try to frame my question a bit better :

I want to have the native resolution of the Rift CV1 - 1080 x 1200... but increased by 1/5 or 20% ie a SuperSample ratio of 1.2

Can someone please take me through how I can achieve this?

Many thanks

Algy-Lacey

I would not use Open Composite for any SS settings, use either the Oculus Debug tool or the Oculus Tray Tool.

I myself prefer the Tray Tool as I can set an individual game profile up with it. I believe you would want to set a SS of 1.2 .

You only need Open Composite software to switch the runtime from Steam VR to Open Composite. Once that is done no need to run the software again unless you want to change the runtime back to Steam VR for other reasons.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dburne said:

I would not use Open Composite for any SS settings

That's what I thought. So if I leave Open Composite as standard it should render 1080 x 1200? Then if I set a SS of 1.2 in Oculus Tray Tool, I should get 1296 x 1440?

I still don't know how to add IL-2 to Open Composite's 'App Configuration' tab, is this even necessary? Anyone?

23 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I still don't know how to add IL-2 to Open Composite's 'App Configuration' tab, is this even necessary? Anyone?

I haven't added it and I'm not sure how to either or what benefits it gives.  For using my CV1 I simply launch OpenComposite first, switch the runtime to OpenComposite, close it, fire up Occulus and then fire up IL2.

No problems. :salute:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DD_Arthur said:

...fire up Occulus and then fire up IL2.

No problems. :salute:

Thanks. Do you mean after closing Open Composite you fire up Oculus Home, or Oculus Tray Tool? I just want to make sure I get it right!

8 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Thanks. Do you mean after closing Open Composite you fire up Oculus Home, or Oculus Tray Tool? I just want to make sure I get it right!

I use Tray Tool more for DCS (it needs all the help it can get at the moment) but I usually load it before firing up Occulus home.

• Like 1

Good stuff, thanks guys!

I think I've got all the info I need to go flying, I'll report back my results when I've had a mission or two.

Chocks away!

Algy-Lacey 🛩️

• Like 1

I just had my first flight in VR using Open Composite instead of Steam VR.

I didn't see any improvement in performance, I wonder why some people get such a boost? It is most likely my low end system.

My Rig:

Intel i5 6600k 3.5Ghz (no overclock)

RAM 16Gb DDR 2100Mhz (no overclock

M.2. SSD 120Gb

GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb (no overclock)

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster T.16000m

Saitek Throttle Quadrant

With ASW set to 45 and SS of 1.2 in Oculus Tray Tool and the following in game settings:

Settings - Balanced

Screen Res. - 1024x768

Shadows - Medium

Mirrors - Simple

Distant Landscape Detail - x4

Horizon Draw Distance - 100 Km

Landscape Filter - Blurred

Grass Quality - Normal

Clouds Quality - High

Target FPS - Off

Antialiasing - 2

Gamma - 0.8

Full Screen

Enable VR HMD

Sharpen

Use 4k Textures

In game Head Up Display (HUD) - OFF

I flew a quick mission over the Rheineland Map (Spring) with 8 x Spit IXe's vs 4 x Bf109 G14's and 4 x FW190 A5's. Medium cloud cover, some wind, some turbulence.

with these settings I got fps mostly in the 30 - 35 fps range, but down to 20's over towns.

So I tried using no Antialiasing

very mild performance gain

So I tried Antialiasing on 2 in game settings and SS of 1.0 in OTT

with these settings I got great visuals, good performance (ASW always on), fps mostly in the 40 - 45 range, sometimes 35 -38 over towns, but very smooth when compared to SS of 1.2 in that there was no juddering and choppy-ness. Considering that my Rig is only just about good enough for VR, I guess I am happy with the results.

Anyone who got great performance gains from switching to Open Composite, am I missing a trick?

Cheers

Algy-Lacey

Likely your rig, namely your 3.5 GHz cpu.

If you have decent cooler you should be able to overclock it a fair amount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Algy-Lacey said:

So I tried Antialiasing on 2 in game settings and SS of 1.0 in OTT

with these settings I got great visuals, good performance (ASW always on), fps mostly in the 40 - 45 range, sometimes 35 -38 over towns, but very smooth when compared to SS of 1.2 in that there was no juddering and choppy-ness. Considering that my Rig is only just about good enough for VR, I guess I am happy with the results.

I think thats pretty good for your system.  People seem to put all the emphisis on high fps but for me it's a choppy-free,  smooth performance that counts.  

I agree with dburne;  your cpu is capable of overclocking if you've got a decent cooler.  I'm running an i7 3930k which is ancient history now but with water cooling it runs very happily at 4.6Ghz.  If you know your why around your bios, just switching hyperthreading off will make a difference.

Of course, if you do that you'll probably find your 1060 is lacking........    

• Like 1