Sign in to follow this  
Alfaunostebas11

Engine on and immediately off

I was out of IL-2 Sturmovik for a few months, now I'm back, I updated my version and I also downloaded Kuban (BoK).
I find several novelties in the way of flying airplanes, some commands have been modified, Russian planes are now better controlled during taxiing, etc.
All things with which I will have the chance to experience, but now I have to ask a question first of all.
With some planes, starting from the "parked" position, after having switched on the engine, it will turn off immediately (i.e. Spitfire, Yak 1, LaGG 3 etc.), what should I do?
Thanks Stebas.

NB. if I start in the "runway" position, then with the engine running, then I try to turn off the engine and then turn it back on, everything is OK.

Likely the issue is that for engine start now you need to set Mixture at 100% and give it a bit of throttle, like 10-20%. And then hit the E key. Good luck!

Edited by FlyingNutcase
  • Like 2

I second the 15-20% throttle thing, i ran into the exact same issue and it took me a while to figure it out. I had to remember all the time i spent desperately trying to start my **** snowblower as a teen -- applying a bit of throttle prevented it from cutting out before it warmed up. 

yup! add full mixture and a bit of throttle. I also whack up my rpm too.

Hi guys thank a lot.

Now I am able to start the engine of Lagg-3 (with about 20% of throttle before switching on and then immediately at least 30-35% to prevent shut off).

The Yak 7 need2 about 15% before starting and  then is OK.

The Airacobra is equal.

The Spitfire does not want to remain on.

But I encounter another issue.

When I push the throttle to take-off (sometime tested with Airacobra and LaGG), the speed does not increase to take off value and the engine run off before the end of runway.

I suppose it could be a wrong mixture setting, but I don't know how to do, because if I set the mixture with RCtrl + M (automatic) or with RCtrl + add or minus key, I don't see any indication in the hud message (with Hud on), nor any gauge or lever showing the actual mixture value.

What can I do ?

Is your prop RPM fully up?

The prop pitch is 100%

But I would like to know how to set the mixture 100% full rich for example with Spit. Which keys do you use x default?

Edited by Alfaunostebas11

RPM not pitch. Also 100% is not necessarily auto-rich.

Edited by Talon_

Yes Talon, I was meaning prop RPM at 100%.

But, when I intend to set the mixture value, I see nothing that confirms what I am doing and I suspect that the keys I actually use do not take effect. Where can I see that the mixture is correctly set to 100% ?
So, I go back to ask, politely, to operate the motor, for example of the Spitfire Mk VB, which keys operated, in particular to bring the mixture to 100%?
Thanks.

You can use the tech chat in the HUD, to make sure you use the correct key. It will tell you when you increase or decrease something.

Now everything seems to be solved.
The problem was that the default mixture commands gave no effect (perhaps due to a keyboard configuration problem).
I set the controls on the joystick and now the message indicating the correct value of the mixture appears. So I can set it to 100% and everything works properly ...
Thanks for your suggestions...

@Alfaunostebas11If you want to explore the mixture controls further, most planes actually have markings on the mixture levers in the cockpit to tell you where it needs to be.