sinned

Next Theater Announcement Date

lol i did not know there are still people who don't have that obnoxious individual on ignore list. Life on this forum is so much better if you don't have to see that guy :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I am a single player only guy, and love it.

I do not play Quick Missions at all - except occasionally when setting up a new plane.

All my play time is with either Career or PWCG, with the occasional foray into some of  the scripted campaigns.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Paradox modules, strategy games ... interesting ... did't know that. Had a look on steam. Thanks.

I, personally, hope 1C and ED will keep the current distribution model for a long time to come.

This way we only have to buy -most- modules once (well except for DCS Black Shark 2 and number 3 imminent :-)).

10 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

I mean when you paid for a particular module - you can play it whenever you want. This is how it is with GB and I hope it stays that way. Time based subscription model sucks.

I agree on that. Got some photo edit software I pay for every month. And I feel ripped off every time

42 minutes ago, dburne said:

I do not play Quick Missions at all - except occasionally when setting up a new plane.

All my play time is with either Career or PWCG,

@BraveSirRobin  insinuate that majority is not interested in career , campaigns and sp in general. Developers claim that majority do not visit forum nor mp servers. 
looking at numbers of populated servers is enought to prove his point wrong. Online people could not fund one pack and we got more than that. 
I prefer SP , but campaigns like Gambits Havoc and Blacksix Seadragoons. 
well that is it, took them aweful lot if time to make and it takes just not that long to fly. 
So I flown them many times. 
I havent gotten pwcg to work. I might give that another try. MP simply do not provide a realistic and historical picture of air warfare 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, dburne said:

All my play time is with either Career or PWCG, with the occasional foray into some of  the scripted campaigns.

same here.

indeed, the most frustrating thing I find is having to click and wait to get through all those "info" screens on the campaign. 

personally, I just want to get stuck in.

I would like some in flight flavour via radio comms and perhaps random events like bird strikes/failures etc.

but for me, in depth briefings are a bit.. meh.

I don't berate those who want them though.

10 hours ago, Gretsch_Man said:

I think what those "old" games achieved was to make you "feel" more involved. In those days, campaigns appeared to be more dynamic, even if they really weren't.

It's hard to put this words, but it's probably all those little things like briefings etc. that just adds to the atmosphere. 

IL-2 certainly took some steps into the right direction. The pilots bio's and newspapers are all nice touches imho. I just believe that the single-player carrer mode has much more potential.

I would argue that those games had to do it since devs could not make it past technical impossibilities of features todays sims have. My all time favorites were Wings and B17 Flying Fortress for Amiga, though honestly the actual combat kind of sucked. Back then I wanted what GB is now, and yes I take immersion from sitting in the cockpit of a well modeled and sounding plane. Getting hit in GB is a traumatic experience for me every time and I love it.

For some reason reading bios and newspapers mean nothing to me. The most fun I get from that is getting listed in the same table as other WWII aces.

I think that the ending sentence here is that devs have very limited resources. If it was a 300M$ budget I don`t think we`d need to as most of the questions. Getting past Kuban`s 127 mission sorties was fun, including taking off, landing, nursing bomber formations home etc. that kind of stuff.

9 hours ago, IV./JG51-Lanze_vonHaltung said:

I finding it to be a steep learning curve to go from RoF WWI planes to IL2 WWII planes. So, I will be doing quick missions a lot, but i wish there was a way to take off and land for practice. If anyone know of a way to do that, please share. 

Quick mission, on map select lone plane silhouette in a black circle, in setup select 'parked' and go.

3 hours ago, IV./JG51-Lanze_vonHaltung said:

Modulated games are already here. Paradox is famous for it To their credit, they often add free content with the DLC model they use. The downside is that the base game turns out to be a "framework" rather than a polish game.

The sole reason I don`t buy Paradox games and won`t be for quite some time.

Edited by Mac_Messer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

@BraveSirRobin  insinuate that majority is not interested in career , campaigns and sp in general. 

I said nothing of the sort. I'm fully aware that SP is more popular than MP.  But most people in SP are playing quick missions.

7 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I said nothing of the sort. I'm fully aware that SP is more popular than MP.  But most people in SP are playing quick missions.

You might be right, but that is your assumption not a fact. 
I find QMB a nice 5 minute fun myself , any longer kind of dull. So I think you are wrong, and that is my assumption 

12 hours ago, Gretsch_Man said:

I think what those "old" games achieved was to make you "feel" more involved. In those days, campaigns appeared to be more dynamic, even if they really weren't.

It's hard to put this words, but it's probably all those little things like briefings etc. that just adds to the atmosphere. 

IL-2 certainly took some steps into the right direction. The pilots bio's and newspapers are all nice touches imho. I just believe that the single-player carrer mode has much more potential.

Jane’s WW2 fighter was great for this, I really felt involved. The music was maybe a large part.

• Like 1

MSCFS 2 Pasific theatre made me stop flying IL 2 for a while. Its cartoonish story got to me and I felt part of a squadron

• Like 4

7 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

I too like the idea of buying into modules that even Improve in Time like the il-2 and DCS business model allows. But I am afraid many game types will be turned subscription based. Game streaming will indeed mean the start of it all. Ones physical media for game distribution in general, also consoles, are gone the way we pay for games may change too. I hope everything I spent on il-2 and especially DCS and other sim software will be worth something for some time!!!??? 

I think it's really going to depend on whether the subscription model can offer things that can't be done in the single box model. I don't know if you've been following the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, but they are almost certainly going to be doing a subscription model, if only so they can support the banks of weather and scenery generation servers they need to drive their virtual world. 

For this genre it would be more of the AI to handle war scale missions, which hundreds of thousands of active AI combatents, but I'm not sure how that sort of thing would be coordinated between different players who may not tea Aly want to be flying the Berlin Raid today. 

36 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

But most people in SP are playing quick missions.

I doubt that. They know for sure however.

SP chappie here... rarely visit online.

I only use the QMB for learning the ins and outs of a new aircraft, see how it handles etc... apart from that it's the career mode, PWCG, or more recently Syn Vander's mission builder.

And the excellent Scripted campaigns of course!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

I only use quick missions to learn the particular aircraft, especially the engine modes, practice bombing and launching rockets.

For the most part I play Career and awesome scripted campaigns.

I started to visit MP servers occasionally.

Edited by Arthur-A
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

But most people in SP are playing quick missions.

For me and I believe many more SP players quick missions are used purely to try newly released aircraft or new features of the sim as they are added, we use scripted campaigns primarily and the career mode for main game play.;)

Anyway, back on topic, I thought we might have had a announcement by now on the next theater, pour yourself a Whiskey or two tonight Jason and share your thoughts please, the suspense is now getting seriously annoying and we need to know.:lol:

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yeah I use QMs to practice or try out something new only, like changing a keybind or new mod. For “real” gameplay it’s career and scripted by far.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I agree on that. Got some photo edit software I pay for every month. And I feel ripped off every time

@BraveSirRobin  insinuate that majority is not interested in career , campaigns and sp in general. Developers claim that majority do not visit forum nor mp servers. 
looking at numbers of populated servers is enought to prove his point wrong. Online people could not fund one pack and we got more than that. 
I prefer SP , but campaigns like Gambits Havoc and Blacksix Seadragoons. 
well that is it, took them aweful lot if time to make and it takes just not that long to fly. 
So I flown them many times. 
I havent gotten pwcg to work. I might give that another try. MP simply do not provide a realistic and historical picture of air warfare 

Last month Combat Box had over 4000 unique players connected to the server in total, so it is a good indication the active MP playerbase isn't small, less than 10 days into November over 1800 already logged in. I would like to see this compared to the active SP users in a month.

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm less concerned with the next theater and more concerned with seeing better, more varied MP play.  I think that the ground attack role is critical and I'd like to see Bodenplatte MP have more competitive light bombers and deemphasize the fighter bombers.  Not sure which on the German side are appropriate, but I trust others to figure this out, but adding the Mosquito, A-26, B-26 and making the B-25 player-flyable would go a long way to improving immersion.   Need some faster ones that can actually get to targets with heavier loads than the FBs.  Update some critical/strategic targets so that they really NEED to be serviced by full up bombers, forcing each side to send some in order to win.   I'd also like to see targets updated with more/better portrayed flak and low-alt AAA.  I hate getting killed by it as much as anyone, but there ought to be some targets where its insane (multiple quad 20mm batteries) and some where its light to zero.  Would also like more of the moving targets - trains, truck convoys, barges, tank columns, etc... and perhaps better in-game notices of target movements.  "Panzer column approaching xxx town!"  would be kinda cool.  The 262 jet fuel thing on CB seems a bit gamey/contrived, but it is an excellent addition to the overall MP experience.  More/similar.

I'm also a bit perplexed that no one seems to want to see the 4 engine bombers that were - frankly - the focus of the Air War in Europe.  Just watched a YT vid of a guy blazing through an AI B-25 formation with a 262 and all I could think was, "wow, that would be much cooler -  and harder - if they were B-24s."

21 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I guess you were not around when such conversations happened 10 years ago, 18 years ago...about what we’d be able to do in 10 years. (In other words now)

PC game/hardware development just hasn’t worked out that way. PC’s get faster (not at the rate they used to) but the software gets more demanding. The monitor resolutions demand more from the GPU...etc.

This.  Hell, I cannot host co-ops using the Rhineland map and play at the same time.  Works fine till our flight nears a target then my computer totally locks up and I have to shut it down hard with the power button, and my machine is no slouch.  Same number of players, in the same planes with the same mission type on the Kuban map, no issue at all.

*SIGH*

12 minutes ago, pnzrldr said:

I'm also a bit perplexed that no one seems to want to see the 4 engine bombers that were - frankly - the focus of the Air War in Europe. 

Actually, there are probably 20+ threads started by people who want to see exactly that.  The problem is that the AI in this game is pretty complex, so large numbers of AI (mostly gunners in the case of a formation of large bombers) reduce the game to a slide show.  This game engine is designed for small tactical situations.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Last month Combat Box had over 4000 unique players connected to the server in total, so it is a good indication the active MP playerbase isn't small, less than 10 days into November over 1800 already logged in. I would like to see this compared to the active SP users in a month.

I am very happy for this, but it shows that people migrate between games. These numbers are not seen in the lobby where you find maybe two almost filled servers and rest is diwn to 10

I wish for more populated servers that make you choose timeframe you like to fly for the day

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Actually, there are probably 20+ threads started by people who want to see exactly that.  The problem is that the AI in this game is pretty complex, so large numbers of AI (mostly gunners in the case of a formation of large bombers) reduce the game to a slide show.  This game engine is designed for small tactical situations.

Complex AI (and yet not so good in a dogfight) at the cost of performamce, player experience and immersion is not good trade-off IMO!

• Upvote 1

And on top of that very large planes take a lot more effort to research and model, and then if you model them as AI you are going to get people demanding them as flyable, then you have to model a huge cockpit, half a dozen gun positions... for what is ultimately a niche role not everyone will buy

33 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

This.  Hell, I cannot host co-ops using the Rhineland map and play at the same time.  Works fine till our flight nears a target then my computer totally locks up and I have to shut it down hard with the power button, and my machine is no slouch.  Same number of players, in the same planes with the same mission type on the Kuban map, no issue at all.

*SIGH*

You need to run the DServer executable, preferably with a second account on another computer on your network. Takes the load of calculations for the AI off of your game computer.

22 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

And on top of that very large planes take a lot more effort to research and model, and then if you model them as AI you are going to get people demanding them as flyable, then you have to model a huge cockpit, half a dozen gun positions... for what is ultimately a niche role not everyone will buy

I think popular bombers have strong market.

Ju52 was risk, but B-25 will sell like any other fighter i believe.

Now AI B17 can be modeled only from outside like a flying shell with simple FM and decent yet simple DM.

No need to model systems in it or AI engine managment, so it wouldn't matter how much engines AI plane has since it's just flying animation.

Also i wouldn't care does AI turrets animate correctly since i don't have time to stare at them. 

What i meant to say is we don't need complex AI as long it fights well to it's strenghts and represent beliveable DM.

46 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Complex AI (and yet not so good in a dogfight) at the cost of performamce, player experience and immersion is not good trade-off IMO!

Buy the  rights to the code and your opinion on those matters will carry a lot more weight.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Rob_XR-R said:

You need to run the DServer executable, preferably with a second account on another computer on your network. Takes the load of calculations for the AI off of your game computer.

It would be great if I had another machine with the umph to run the thing, but I don't.

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

It would be great if I had another machine with the umph to run the thing, but I don't.

a second computer is the ideal, and remember it is not rendering anything so graphics can be lower.   Even running  a separate DServer instance on your game computer offloads some of the AI calculations onto different threads which might result in better performance.

I edited one AI flight from each side, and one AI truck column from each side, and I could run the mission.  It's amazing just how close to the edge Rhineland is.

16 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Ignore is a joke.  Nobody really ignores anybody.  Let's face it, someone might put another on "ignore" to make themselves feel aloof, but they always end up unhiding the comments of their nemesis and reading what the other guy has to say anyway.   Reality check.

This is probably the 5th time that Gambit has announced to anyone who would listen that he's putting me on ignore.

8 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

They only need to put in AI B17 and B24 target drones following their path in combat box formation. Nothing complex to keep used ressorces low. Even EAW like bomber formations, let alone Il-1946 bomber formations would do the trick for game immersion purposes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I edited one AI flight from each side, and one AI truck column from each side, and I could run the mission.  It's amazing just how close to the edge Rhineland is.

Yeah - online is a whole different ball game. I can get away with a failrly large number of units in single player missions.

The gap from single player to MP is huge in that respect.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:58 PM, BraveSirRobin said:

They found out that hardly anyone actually uses the campaign in RoF.  

Blast! My cover has been blown thanks to you Brave guy. So I have to admit it now don't I!. Yes, I am "hardly anyone"!!. "Catchov" is just a pseudonym to hide my true identity. But how did you (or they?) find out? I may have to litigate. Oh never mind. It's too bally late now anyway. :sorry:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

This is like watching Friday Night Smackdown........................ So when is the new Battle/Campaign supposed to be released?  and what's it going to be................  Get back on track boys.....

By sinned, November 1 in General Discussion

Hoss

10 minutes ago, 361st_Hoss said:

This is like watching Friday Night Smackdown........................ So when is the new Battle/Campaign supposed to be released?  and what's it going to be................  Get back on track boys.....

By sinned, November 1 in General Discussion

Hoss

I guess they're not in a rush since they have plenty of work to do on current titles;

-TC release

-Air Marshall

-Two collector planes

-BoBp map and career improvements

Maybe they're also testing new tech and engine capabilities and improvements which will determine details on next expansion so they don't go with announcement until they're sure what can be done and what can't.

Also maybe they wait how sales will go with BoBp release to determine resources.

My guess is December for announcement!

Not talking about the Devs, it's the Peanut gallery that's getting side tracked.       😜

Hoss