ME-BFMasserME262

Mustang Engine, what Im doing wrong?

I set RPM and throttle to 75% and in few minutes, technochat tells me to watch out the coolant temperature.

Note: I use automatic radiator, I guess that's my problem... should I set it to manual and open it myself?

Also, I cant reach high speeds with this bird, 300-320 mph doesnt seem to be that much to me, when I can reach 500 kph with the A3 with no much effort. I guess this is because I always fly the Pony with <75% engines?

Im not made for murrican planes lol

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

300-320 mph doesnt seem to be that much to me, when I can reach 500 kph

320mph = 515 kph approximately....

:rolleyes:

• Haha 4

500 kph = ~310 mph

also, TAS and IAS are 2 different numbers at altitude.

There are general case formulas online that work for ballpark estimation at subsonic speeds.

Mustangs are okay with running warm. Those Merlin engines were built to serve.

75% throttle is too much for continuous use. Check the specifications tab when you view the map and set the correct Manifold Pressure (MP) and RPM. Continuous is 46" MP and 2,700 RPM. 15 minutes is 61" MP and 3,000 RPM, and 5 minutes is 67" MP and 3,000 RPM (75" and 3,000 RPM with 150 octane fuel).

• Upvote 2

So far I've been able to run 60" at 2800 rpm for >20m without incident, and 54"at 2800 until out of fuel. The timers system is wonky so if you're running at reduced RPMs and MP, it's probably best to set up a quick mission and see how long it takes to actually blow the engine at any given setting. 

Note: '[' and ']' are the time controls. You'll need them if you're going to do continuous engine runs. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Willy__ said:

320mph = 515 kph approximately....

:rolleyes:

320 as a limit that its difficult to reach for me, but average would be 310. Map: near Brussels. Alt: 500 metters. Again, I can reach that speed with an A3 with no big efforts.

2 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

I set RPM and throttle to 75% and in few minutes, technochat tells me to watch out the coolant temperature.

Note: I use automatic radiator, I guess that's my problem... should I set it to manual and open it myself?

Also, I cant reach high speeds with this bird, 300-320 mph doesnt seem to be that much to me, when I can reach 500 kph with the A3 with no much effort. I guess this is because I always fly the Pony with <75% engines?

Are you using 150 octane fuel?

7 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Ok, so what you are doing wrong is you are flying by the throttle position rather than your engine gauges. The Max Continuous is at 2850 RPM. That is 89% RPM not 75%.

Likewise, 60" of MP varies depending on altitude. At 3km, and 2850RPM, 60" is apparently 100% throttle. At 250m its about 68%.

At 60' with 2800 RPM you should see around 330 mph indicated, or about 528 kph IAS for as long as you have fuel. At sea level, you can also push that up to 75" for a few minutes to get about 360 mph/576kph IAS, and when you retard it back down to 60" you will hold about 340-350mph/545-560kph IAS until you maneuver.

To recap, your RPM needs to be set to 89% not 75%, and you need to adjust your throttle so that the manifold pressure is at the 60". I've attached a screen capture with the Manifold Pressure gauge in Red, and the RPM in Blue. The RPM is where it should be, but at the altitude I'm at, I can't quite make 60" MP.

P-51 Manifold Pressure Gauge.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Voyager said:

Ok, so what you are doing wrong is you are flying by the throttle position rather than your engine gauges. The Max Continuous is at 2850 RPM. That is 89% RPM not 75%.

Likewise, 60" of MP varies depending on altitude. At 3km, and 2850RPM, 60" is apparently 100% throttle. At 250m its about 68%.

At 60' with 2800 RPM you should see around 330 mph indicated, or about 528 kph IAS for as long as you have fuel. At sea level, you can also push that up to 75" for a few minutes to get about 360 mph/576kph IAS, and when you retard it back down to 60" you will hold about 340-350mph/545-560kph IAS until you maneuver.

To recap, your RPM needs to be set to 89% not 75%, and you need to adjust your throttle so that the manifold pressure is at the 60". I've attached a screen capture with the Manifold Pressure gauge in Red, and the RPM in Blue. The RPM is where it should be, but at the altitude I'm at, I can't quite make 60" MP.

Thanks a lot! I will try this when I have the opportunity to play the sim.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Voyager said:

See this is a big point, ‘flying the throttle position rather than your engine gauges”.. 

we we all fly what percentage pops up, but you should be relying on your instruments... especially with MP.. it vAries with altitude... jeez, especially that dang p-40 😬

anywho, I got an A330 aileron PCU to change... 

watch your guages people... it’s what they’re for :)

• Upvote 3

What is this black magic called percentages? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

What is this black magic called percentages? 

Its from the latin per centum meaning 'for each 100'. It is of Roman origin, and therefore, not to be trusted. Probably an Italian trap of some kind.

There's only one way to measure engine power: lbs of boost for God, Queen and Country. Inches of mercury may be acceptable if you're an ungrateful colonial. Millimetres of mercury is right out, being of commie persuasion.

I don't look at the RPM gauge if I can help it - it has the word Revolution in it AND uses per, making it both Italian and commie. Very suspicious.

• Haha 15

The engine coolant technochats are bugged.... dont worry about it. Read the guages, I've yet to overheat this powerplant, if it's within limits, you're good to go. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spartan85 said:

See this is a big point, ‘flying the throttle position rather than your engine gauges”.. 

we we all fly what percentage pops up, but you should be relying on your instruments... especially with MP.. it vAries with altitude... jeez, especially that dang p-40 😬

anywho, I got an A330 aileron PCU to change... 

watch your guages people... it’s what they’re for :)

To be fair, most airplanes have a manifold pressure regulator, so that MP stays the same relative to your altitude if you keep the same throttle position. Or rather, that's as long as you stay at an altitude your supercharger or turbo can maintain pressure, then it starts to fall off. 

The P40, however, and I _think_ the A20, do not have this regulator, and so you have to constantly fiddle with your throttle to maintain manifold pressure (increase throttle as you climb, and vice versa).

22 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Ok cruising I usually top out at 300.  84% rpm or 2700.   Keep the throttle around 72%. Note the higher you go the more you can increase rpm and throttle and stay in continous or combat mode.

2nd remember up high just because that dial says 250 your going a lot faster (say at 20k ft or whatever)

I leave radiator automatic.  I take off full rpm and throttle. AS SOON as Im off ground throttle both back to continous.  I almost never goto emergency.

At continous going straight after a few minutes you should be pushing 300 mph.  After that maybe try pushing rpm to 100% and moving your throttle to just under emergency.  After your acceleration slows down some you may try lowering the rpm but not throttle to 84% agaim (as I was reading from the other thread)

Keep messing around is my advice.  Also 70% mixture.

Dont take that plane up over 74% fuel and expect to safely toss her around.  The center of gravitys weird above that - the real regulations forbade fighting or acrobatics above it.  Given our maps I think more than 50% fuel is silly.

If you do this... Im not flying around at 450mph.or whatever but Im routinely at 350-4.  You gotta remember though legend has rlly amped this plane and at the end of the day its a other piston engined plane only a year or two away from other planes. Something would be wrong if you were easily hitting 450-500 mph easily.  Honestly 90% of my time in a mustang IS around 275-325mph and thats plenty fast. Whenever I feel 'slow' I translate my speed into metric..  I mean I "feel" fast in my Dora with boost on at 560 kph... then you realize its "just" 350 mph

P.S a great way to feel fast is fly a couple missions in the P47. :)

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Its from the latin per centum meaning 'for each 100'. It is of Roman origin, and therefore, not to be trusted. Probably an Italian trap of some kind.

There's only one way to measure engine power: lbs of boost for God, Queen and Country. Inches of mercury may be acceptable if you're an ungrateful colonial. Millimetres of mercury is right out, being of commie persuasion.

I don't look at the RPM gauge if I can help it - it has the word Revolution in it AND uses per, making it both Italian and commie. Very suspicious.

This is one of your best yet. That last paragraph is gold

• Thanks 1