Dookie_Monster

P-51 "Edmonton Special" No. 442 Squadron RCAF

egQXFQf.jpg

Here's a historical skin of an aircraft flown by Pilot Officer John Mallandaine of No. 442 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force circa May 1945.

The skin can be downloaded here. A huge thanks to ICDP for creating the template I used to make this.

PNUbLPZ.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

I assume you deleted his alpha channel because it was shiny with dull patches for the insignia.   It is a pain but it is worth learning how to modify the alpha because it gives realistic textures.  This is also from ICDPs template but I changed the 'shininess' and removed the patches where the US Insignia was.

image.thumb.png.374d5fa91da0c46a0d7700e7522897df.png

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Hey @Dookie_Monster great job! Would you like to do City of Winnipeg as well? I am also Canadian but tied up doing other skins at the moment!

81292D30-9735-4948-B2CE-4F9E6693E244.jpeg

A676ABF8-E4E7-4F16-A274-72D91187801E.jpeg

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
  • Like 1

I may get around to making more RCAF skins in the future, but I can't make any promises as I've got other things in the works right now.

• Thanks 1

Here are some more @Dookie_Monster I have about 4 or 5 other Mustangs I want to paint first but I definitely want to do some of these:

would you be willing to share your Camo layer so I can do some?  I dig CV W!

6D4BB7A4-6602-485E-B656-F7F4CE078599.jpeg

Edited by BSS_Ripper*

7 hours ago, BSS_Ripper* said:

share your Camo layer so I can do some?  I dig CV W!

One thing I've noticed about RAF camo Mustangs is that very few of them seem to have a consistent pattern. If you look at the decal sheet's instructions you posted, the pattern for QV-P, Y2-B and CV-W are all different. So either the camo was applied at the factories and the different factories had different camo patterns, or the camo was applied in the field, be it at maintenance units or at the squadron level.

@Megalax@Dookie_Monster

While researching this post war North American Mustang Mk. IV, RCAF (Serial No. 9281), 403 Sqn http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-3-the-second-world-war-and-postwar-north-american-p51-mustang_684.html flown by Lynn Garrison https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_North_American_P-51_Mustangs, I was expecting the markings to be AC but then in other pictures I found of it, the markings were PR. Then in a modelling kit I saw AD! Apparently RCAF post war markings became quite chaotic as expressed by this author in this excellent document!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ce2eac378733900016331b2/t/5cf13f8999db30000116a5f2/1559314314399/RCAF+Squadron+Postwar+Codes.pdf