Sign in to follow this  
jakm75

BOP P51 gyro gunsight

I don't know if this is of anyone's particular concern, but when I was watching some early access videos, I couldn't help but notice the the gun sight seemed to be the standard in the p-38 and a coupld of other aircraft. It is a known fact that the p-51 was in fact manuefactured with the k-14 gyroscopic gunsight which gave an edge to a lot of american pilots. I was wondering whether or not this issue had been adressed, but it is an important detail to me, as someone who is looking at buying battle of bodenplatte. I look forward to any input!

The K-14 is optional in both the P-47 and P-51, as the particular sub-variants in the game had the K-14 sight fitted after leaving the factory. 

Edited by LukeFF

The P-51 has an option for the gyro gunsight. Same one as the P-47, I think.

Did the P-38 ever receive a gyro sight?

I know P-47s were fitted in the field with the gyro when they came out in numbers, K-14 weren't standard until the P-47N I think, as you can see blocks up to the D-30 with fixed sights fitted.

To answer the OP question both the P-51 and P-47 have the gyro gunsight as an option, neither of them have it as a "standard" selection though.

9 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Did the P-38 ever receive a gyro sight?

No, although there were drawings made (and available at Air Corps Library) that showed what it would have looked like with it. There would have been a lot of problems with it blocking the front instrument panel. 

9 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I know P-47s were fitted in the field with the gyro when they came out in numbers, K-14 weren't standard until the P-47N I think, as you can see blocks up to the D-30 with fixed sights fitted.

IIRC, it was with the D-35 that the K-14 became standard from the factory. 

Still need the most effective presentation :

Fixed+Gyro with circular reticle blanked,  leaving you with just the gun cross and the Gyro reticle.

Fixedplusgyroblanked.jpg

Edited by Bert_Foster
  • Upvote 2