Jason_Williams

Stutters in Multiplayer Research

Posted (edited)

I experience horrible microlags or stutters now. Every second there is a microlag and then the picture jump a bit. It is working this way on TAW as well as Jasta 5 server. I'm not noticing such feature while watching replays. FPS dropped from about 140 down to 40 to 50 though. I experienced all these issue since the second minor patch after the 4.005 patch was released.

EDIT: I have now software to make videos so I upload just the pictures to show the fps difference (graphical settings are still the same), both taken from replays

patch 4.005; server: TAW; players: about 80; heavy clouds (fps upper right corner: 134)

uc?id=1bUygcra3rwZ1CBaLRbVFrA5TNTG7qQhY

last mini-patch; server: TAW; players: about 80; heavy clouds (fps: 64)

uc?id=102s3wy8NPXbxB0vUNEGqA68a7FzMtVzq

My PC:

Ryzen 5 2600

Radeon RX 5600XT

32GB DDR4

Windows 10 Pro 64 build 1909

Edited by JG1_Pragr

OK, I pretty much "solved" my stutters as well as FPS issue. I just turned off the HUD in game (H-key) and suddenly I got 50 % FPS boost and stutters disappeared completely. Still I would prefer to have HUD turned on since now I'm without the chat and compass (specific issue to some planes). Btw the stutters are worst there are more players on the server.

S!

Got stutters, more like microstutter and sometimes stops for a fraction of a second. Microstutters easily seen if you fly low and look out at about 45deg left or right.

Hi everyone. I was testing MP with 4.006 and I am having many stuttering, at considerably constant frequency. Tested on WOL and CB training. It don't appears to be related to the amount of players. I don't experience this on SP. Anyone else having issues??

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ECV56_Lubermatz said:

Hi everyone. I was testing MP with 4.006 and I am having many stuttering, at considerably constant frequency. Tested on WOL and CB training. It don't appears to be related to the amount of players. I don't experience this on SP. Anyone else having issues??

I've fought with that issue pretty much from second mini patch after 4.005. Try to turn off the HUD (H-key by default). It solves the problem almost completely in my case, though chat and other in-game messages are lost as well this way. But it's minor issue in comparison with permanent microlags that otherwise makes the game unplayable. Hope it helps. 

Edited by JG1_Pragr
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ECV56_Lubermatz said:

Playing on Combat Box the last couple days, I did notice that I was getting slightly more stutters than usual on occasion. Nothing close to what I was getting a while back though, just odd hiccups a few times a flight. Where pre patch I get one or two stutters a flight, in this patch I got maybe 5 or 6? I haven't flown enough to really see.

I'm running on Ultra presets, medium shadows, complex mirrors, normal reflections, extreme clouds, Sharpen on, Vsync with frames locked at 60 hz. I use 4X FXAA. I haven't tried MFAA yet.

When I have tested these settings in the past I haven't managed to max out my GPU, a 1660 Super. Your rig should run the game much better than mine but I imagine running it in VR is also a lot more intensive. 

Have you tried looking at resource usage on your machine to see what is happening with your GPU, memory, etc? Previously the stutters appear to have been linked to texture loading and were especially common online. You could see frametime and GPU usage spikes and these would correspond to times with lots of stutters. Are you seeing frametime spikes or spikes in your GPU usage beyond the norm? It might be this issue has returned somewhat for some people with the fixes to deferred shading.

• Like 1

I've noticed this as well on WoL. Occasional frametime spikes with a fairly constant frequency when they happen. It's not as heavy as it was when this thread was started but it is there. I can't tell if it started with 4.006d or e, as I was focusing on issues with zoom and I haven't tested the former online.

• Like 1

Since patch 4.005, multiplayer causes me to stutter, helps turn off HUD. Single player mode works without any problems.

Posted (edited)

reporting stuttering in MP too, and here's what i found:

Combat Box Server, ~20 players on both sides (200ping):

image.png.2a24fdf431a7cae2a03dd109f633105c.png

the stuttering has this consistent frequency, even when not moving the camera.

turning off the hud removes that consistent stuttering.

------------------------------------

Wing of Liberty server, ~20 players on both sides (250ping):

image.png.37181391a6ae8e8bd7cd9da621c4d86f.png

consistent stuttering too, but with some randomness

turning off the hud removes that consistent stuttering as well, but random minor spikes still occur which is normal i suppose

JP shooting stars, empty server. (22ping):

image.png.f8531cbd4cc9f81ae566f1e85196de74.png

even with the HUD on plus moving my camera around there is no stuttering at all

the stuttering definitely seems to be related to the HUD, but im not sure if it is caused either by the amount of players or my ping to the servers or both.

on single player quick mission, with maximum amount of AI planes, during a dog fight, there is no spikes/stuttering at all

it seems very minor, but causes the camera to not be completely smooth when looking around with head tracking which messes with my eyes and im sure its even worse for VR users. even panning with the hat switch has noticeable stuttering

specs: Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4@3000mhz. 144hz gsync monitor

settings: https://pastebin.com/4gksh0zn

----------------------------------

EDIT: just found a post by the producer from 2017, he notes that drawing a 2D image (the hud) on a 3D scene hurts performance

he also notes that the calculations made for the HUD hurts performance too, but they have improved on this by disabling the calculations when hud is turned off. 

hopefully they can further improve on this

Edited by JoshGG
clarification
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JoshGG said:

reporting stuttering in MP too, and here's what i found:

Combat Box Server, ~20 players on both sides (200ping):

image.png.2a24fdf431a7cae2a03dd109f633105c.png

the stuttering has this consistent frequency, even when not moving the camera.

turning off the hud removes that consistent stuttering.

Wing of Liberty server, ~20 players on both sides (250ping):

image.png.37181391a6ae8e8bd7cd9da621c4d86f.png

consistent stuttering too, but with some randomness

turning off the hud removes that consistent stuttering as well, but random minor spikes still occur which is normal i suppose

JP shooting stars, empty server. (22ping):

image.png.f8531cbd4cc9f81ae566f1e85196de74.png

even with the HUD on plus moving my camera around there is no stuttering at all

the stuttering definitely seems to be related to the HUD, but im not sure if it is caused either by the amount of players or my ping to the servers or both.

on single player quick mission, with maximum amount of AI planes, during a dog fight, there is no spikes/stuttering at all

it seems very minor, but causes the camera to not be completely smooth when looking around with head tracking which messes with my eyes and im sure its even worse for VR users. even panning with the hat switch has noticeable stuttering

specs: Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4@3000mhz. 144hz gsync monitor

settings: https://pastebin.com/4gksh0zn

What software did you use to create these graphs?

Has there been any headway on this issue? I'm suffering microstutters in VR, even on graphics settings lower those I had pre 4.006.  FPS is 60-70 but at times the image judders like it's 30odd.

@ACG_Orb,

RTSS RivaTuner Statistics Server is the software I used. Basically hook it to the game and enable on-screen display. if u have problems setting it up feel free to PM me and such, but there are alot of tutorials on youtube etc

• Thanks 1