Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Stutters in Multiplayer Research

Recommended Posts

yes that's exactly how it is, I have no explanation for it......

Il-2 2019-11-21 14-27-00-64.jpg

every change in the graphics settings will automatically reset to 60 fps

i've been using this attitude for a few days and am very happy with it, i have not dared to change anything yet.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn im almost sure the stutters are tied with skins...I also have that bug when skins are changing after respawn and no matter what I have microstutters when lookin around. I unticked the custom skins option. SP is super smooth. Before last update mp was also smooth. There is a big bug which needs to be fixed and causes microstutters even on strong rigs.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that with the skin is really funny, look to the left standart skin, a short time later selected skin, look to the right standard skin, short time later selected skin, look to the left again standard skin .......... ............... the problem was completely eliminated ...... now it is almost worse .....

a mistake is eliminated 5 new ones come

for me it is a very big Bug ...... and that has to be eliminated first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the craziest thing about that is randomness of the thing. Im now the only one with stutters in my squad. One guy also experienced them but fixed with lowering down shadows. Then again, before last update we had 2 guys in squad which had stutters. And I didnt. Now it vice versa. Crazy. It makes me nervous becasue I like this game and I invested some money. There are ppl who invested much more and cant play online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like it, that's why I'm so disappointed,

in the past you knew when a game was stuttering or jerking the PC is too weak or the graphics card is not enough, but in this game it does not matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent all wekend looking for a fix for this and whilst trying every combination of graphics/ vsnc setting both in game and Nvida nothing worked for long, still serious random stutters when using head tracking.

 

I wondered if something else was keeping my CPU busy but nothing showing in windows monitor and with Cortex shutting down backgound processes.

 

I then tried a long shot.. What if the game kept needing to load scenery as I had both 'Map scenery distance" in game settings, and "Horizon draw distance" mostly on minimum to save resourses.

 

Anyway, I set both to maximum and tired the game again ..Bingo! No stutters, System monitor shows 8-9G of game in memory out of 16G available and game runs smooth in muliplayer even on maxed out graphics settings.

 

Hope this helps someone else!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nake350 said:

Spent all wekend looking for a fix for this and whilst trying every combination of graphics/ vsnc setting both in game and Nvida nothing worked for long, still serious random stutters when using head tracking.

 

I wondered if something else was keeping my CPU busy but nothing showing in windows monitor and with Cortex shutting down backgound processes.

 

I then tried a long shot.. What if the game kept needing to load scenery as I had both 'Map scenery distance" in game settings, and "Horizon draw distance" mostly on minimum to save resourses.

 

Anyway, I set both to maximum and tired the game again ..Bingo! No stutters, System monitor shows 8-9G of game in memory out of 16G available and game runs smooth in muliplayer even on maxed out graphics settings.

 

Hope this helps someone else!

 

 

 

Can you take a screenshot of your settings and share with us, pls?
Thank you!

5 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Map scenery distance

Do you mean Distant landscape detail (2x, 3x, 4x) or Distant buildings (30Km)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Can you take a screenshot of your settings and share with us, pls?
Thank you!

Do you mean Distant landscape detail (2x, 3x, 4x) or Distant buildings (30Km)?

I set ' Horizon draw distance' in left column of graphics settings and 'Map scenery distance' at top right of 'Game' menu to max.

See images attached. 

 

I finaly enjoyed several hours of Combat box with these settings and graphics card, CPU etc running at approx 45%.

 

Graphics settings.JPG

Game Settings.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. that didnt work for me. I guess I wil wait for the fix. If not I will just sell everything (flight gear) and forget about it. After so many years. Sad.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Nope. that didnt work for me. I guess I wil wait for the fix. If not I will just sell everything (flight gear) and forget about it. After so many years. Sad.

Thats a shame..I'm not sure what your system resources are in game but I attached mine below with some margin to spare.. 

Performance Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Nope. that didnt work for me. I guess I wil wait for the fix. If not I will just sell everything (flight gear) and forget about it. After so many years. Sad.

Same for me, it didn't work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Same for me, it didn't work.

That is weird! 

Just to add when first spawn in, I look all around (with snap view or whatever) which seems to pre-load even more info into Ram, Video Ram or something. Before I do that it will still stutter, but would never clear before I made the change to distance setting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no change after today's update 😞

 

 I'm already very tired of this, sadly. If there was at least some response... I suppose if we don't ask for it hard enough, we won't get one.

 

 

-----------------------

 

v 4.002, Wings Of Liberty server (close to full),

recorded after take-off close to friendly AF, fairly far from front line, not much action around

 

Specs:

i5 6600k, RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4; rendered in 2560x1440 G-Sync.

Edited by RavN_Sone
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran some further tests today.

Launched the game, then manually disabled all background apps/processes except system ones, disabled security software. This is just the game (no head tracking), Steam and Afterburner, on Win10 v.1909.

 

In all examples below frames are capped in-game at 80, V-Sync forced though NVPanel along with G-Sync.

HUD is off.

 

---------------

 

Wings of Liberty, ping ~90, 60 players online.

  • on the ground, narrow FoV facing the sky, engine off 

s8qzk7P.png

 

  • spectator on the edge of map 

AkU0JfU.png

 

 

---------------

 

 

IRSS Sandbox empty server, ping ~60

  • spectator

 AkU0JfU.png

  • same thing, after restart

UXkwbE2.png

 

 

---------------

 

Frametime spikes are visible in all situations, even on empty server with good ping. Number of players only worsens the symptoms.

Turning V-Sync ON in-game (with or without G-Sync) and allowing Application Controlled with NVPanel exacerbates the stutters highly.

 

 

Specs:

i5 6600k, RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4; rendered in 2560x1440 G-Sync.

 

 

Edited by RavN_Sone
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game engine is crap. Netcode even more. It is an engine which was built for WW1 sim with limited number of fighter planes. Back in the early ROF days we had big problems with stutters online.

When I look at my processes I see GPU and CPU just partialy used, FPS are great but still game runs like crap in MP.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

The game engine is crap. Netcode even more. It is an engine which was built for WW1 sim with limited number of fighter planes. Back in the early ROF days we had big problems with stutters online.

When I look at my process B7es I see GPU and CPU just partialy used, FPS are great but still game runs like crap in MP.

 

This not about ww1 where in late period of the  war  there were fights of dozens of earoplanes, not to mention formation of big bombers which have multiple crew. So those limits which you speak of are not specifics of ww1 which ROF try to depict. Lone hunting ended in beginning of 1916.

For sure it can't be compered to massive numbers of planes of ww2 scenarios. But those 1000 planes would never be operated all by players. 

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't about running with 1000 of players but to run smoothly, without netcode, stutters, bla bla bla.

CoD have better graphic and runs lot better and I suppose that his engine is older then BOS engine.

In all games stutters and net codes are badly, but in a flight sim it isn't acceptable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Isn't about running with 1000 of players but to run smoothly, without netcode, stutters, bla bla bla.

CoD have better graphic and runs lot better and I suppose that his engine is older then BOS engine.

In all games stutters and net codes are badly, but in a flight sim it isn't acceptable.

Not entirely true , 40 AI bombers in multiplayer environment  hogs performance significant - times slow down .

BTW I'm not defending il2 game engine , just explained that ww1 genre as suppose was chosen because have  limited numbes of aeroplanes and suit to limits of game engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Not entirely true , 40 AI bombers in multiplayer environment  hogs performance significant - times slow down .

Okay, forget AIs at all. We are talking about take a plane and fly... bad networks stuffs are being experienced by bunch of players when flying in multiplayer servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Okay, forget AIs at all. We are talking about take a plane and fly... bad networks stuffs are being experienced by bunch of players when flying in multiplayer servers.

In CLOD ? , I was referring to my experience in ACG campaign with players and AI bombers.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

When I look at my processes I see GPU and CPU just partialy used, FPS are great but still game runs like crap in MP.

True story.. Flying into a battle with about 6 other planes yesterday evening on Combat Box quickly descended into a complete 'Stutterfest' to the point the game was literally stopping and starting. 

I'm not sure how or why the dev team aren't responding and fixing this, but until they do I am sorry to say that I won't be sending any more on future releases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nake350 said:

True story.. Flying into a battle with about 6 other planes yesterday evening on Combat Box quickly descended into a complete 'Stutterfest' to the point the game was literally stopping and starting. 

I'm not sure how or why the dev team aren't responding and fixing this, but until they do I am sorry to say that I won't be sending any more on future releases. 

 

Yes, this whole MP discussion is really strange. Some of us having brand-new and cutting edge systems report that MP isn't playable, some of us manage to tweak their systems

allowing them to fly in MP with acceptable (not flawless, but still) performance. It is 100% clear that we have an engine/netcode problem, but don't forget: MP pilots are in the

minority and therefore apparently not the "first ones to be served".

 

Anyway, since 4.00x went public, all the tweaking and optimization of our system seemed to be worthless more or less. Fiddling, testing, tweaking has to be done from scratch

again - painful and sometimes really discouraging. All suggestions posted in last month suddenly are not valid anymore or contradictory - this is madness and a whole mess!

 

So I just cancelled all my settings and started from scratch. And finally, when my patience was running low and with some kind of anger, I realized that my poor system was not

pushed to the limit - task manager indicated that performance wise, my crappy system wasn't pushed to its limits and there was a lot of room for this.

I then decided to slam up all the settings to the max and see what happens. I flew on Combat Box yesterday evening with a total of about 40 participants and was a bit amazed

how well it run. Stutters were not gone, no, but they were really, really small (micro-micro stutters) and happened mostly when I was flying over or near a town.

Same experience on Wings of Liberty and TAW in the last days/evenings.

 

And these are my actual settings for my experience:

 

IL2 Game settings

361943473_IL2_Gamesettings_2019.thumb.jpg.6ea583b2c4b685dac06c76064e4905ba.jpg

Notes: - "Show custom paint schemes" is unchecked. This way you don't encounter this skin flicker issue.
             - "Map scenery distance" is set to unlimited. Don't know why, but this actually helps a lot.

 

399640410_IL2_Graphicsettings_2019.thumb.jpg.db4b2ad52aa6497130906e06dda1a6c4.jpg

Notes: - Preset is ULTRA. This determine the rendering distance of trees, buildings, clouds and objects in general.

             - Shadow quality is a performance killer. Therefore I set it to MEDIUM, which enough (for me).

             - Mirrors may "torture" your performance too. So I set it to MEDIUM, which is enough and detailed enough.

             - Distant landscape detail is set to x2. My GPU has only 4 GB of VRAM, so I'm conservative here.

             - Horizon draw distance is set to 100km. Again because of my GPU memory.

             - Target FPS is set to 50! Why the heck you think? Well, I run a 27" / 60Hz monitor and with 50 FPS it is still smooth
               and my system has some breath.

             - VSync is OFF. No tearing, nothing to report here. So all is fine and dandy.

 

NVidia Control Panel

NCP_2019_1.JPG.01a2ede436c5d844d7e137edd159c529.JPG

NCP_2019_2.JPG.de2a3f6a78ff7ed77d569c9703db1189.JPG

 

As you can see in my signature, I'm not blessed with a good system. Now figure out!

 

My conclusion on this:

 

- Massive improvement of the last two maps is needed

- Massive improvement of the netcode is needed urgently

- Maybe engine might also have its issues - don't know

 

I hope, that my findings will help some of you chaps and let's pray these settings (at least for me!) won't be in vain, when the next update/patch comes.

 

Wish you all a good day and good luck.

 

Cheerio

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -=-THERION said:

 

Yes, this whole MP discussion is really strange. Some of us having brand-new and cutting edge systems report that MP isn't playable, some of us manage to tweak their systems

allowing them to fly in MP with acceptable (not flawless, but still) performance. It is 100% clear that we have an engine/netcode problem, but don't forget: MP pilots are in the

minority and therefore apparently not the "first ones to be served".

 

Anyway, since 4.00x went public, all the tweaking and optimization of our system seemed to be worthless more or less. Fiddling, testing, tweaking has to be done from scratch

again - painful and sometimes really discouraging. All suggestions posted in last month suddenly are not valid anymore or contradictory - this is madness and a whole mess!

 

So I just cancelled all my settings and started from scratch. And finally, when my patience was running low and with some kind of anger, I realized that my poor system was not

pushed to the limit - task manager indicated that performance wise, my crappy system wasn't pushed to its limits and there was a lot of room for this.

I then decided to slam up all the settings to the max and see what happens. I flew on Combat Box yesterday evening with a total of about 40 participants and was a bit amazed

how well it run. Stutters were not gone, no, but they were really, really small (micro-micro stutters) and happened mostly when I was flying over or near a town.

Same experience on Wings of Liberty and TAW in the last days/evenings.

 

And these are my actual settings for my experience:

 

IL2 Game settings

361943473_IL2_Gamesettings_2019.thumb.jpg.6ea583b2c4b685dac06c76064e4905ba.jpg

Notes: - "Show custom paint schemes" is unchecked. This way you don't encounter this skin flicker issue.
             - "Map scenery distance" is set to unlimited. Don't know why, but this actually helps a lot.

 

399640410_IL2_Graphicsettings_2019.thumb.jpg.db4b2ad52aa6497130906e06dda1a6c4.jpg

Notes: - Preset is ULTRA. This determine the rendering distance of trees, buildings, clouds and objects in general.

             - Shadow quality is a performance killer. Therefore I set it to MEDIUM, which enough (for me).

             - Mirrors may "torture" your performance too. So I set it to MEDIUM, which is enough and detailed enough.

             - Distant landscape detail is set to x2. My GPU has only 4 GB of VRAM, so I'm conservative here.

             - Horizon draw distance is set to 100km. Again because of my GPU memory.

             - Target FPS is set to 50! Why the heck you think? Well, I run a 27" / 60Hz monitor and with 50 FPS it is still smooth
               and my system has some breath.

             - VSync is OFF. No tearing, nothing to report here. So all is fine and dandy.

 

NVidia Control Panel

NCP_2019_1.JPG.01a2ede436c5d844d7e137edd159c529.JPG

NCP_2019_2.JPG.de2a3f6a78ff7ed77d569c9703db1189.JPG

 

As you can see in my signature, I'm not blessed with a good system. Now figure out!

 

My conclusion on this:

 

- Massive improvement of the last two maps is needed

- Massive improvement of the netcode is needed urgently

- Maybe engine might also have its issues - don't know

 

I hope, that my findings will help some of you chaps and let's pray these settings (at least for me!) won't be in vain, when the next update/patch comes.

 

Wish you all a good day and good luck.

 

Cheerio

All this makes me suspect that somehow, lower settings force the game to 'think' about what it has to display when it gets info from the server or something, causing a delay in frame times? in the same way that the skins popping  in and out may cause that issue too.

I still haven't had time to try to the 59 fps instead of 60 fps advice given, nor the advice to uncheck custom skins.  Hell I haven't even played the most recent patch, just for want of free time.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

All this makes me suspect that somehow, lower settings force the game to 'think' about what it has to display

 

That's what I'm thinking too - it's like driving a Corvette only in the first gear and with cruise control on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason_Williams

There's a lot going on in this thread, so I'm just going to try to sum up some possible avenues of exploration that we have identified here:

1. HUD - Frametime Issues - The HUD seems to have a disproportionate impact on game performance, both online and off. Does not appear to be the actual cause of multiplayer stutters but does exacerbate it. Worth investigating in relation to optimization for SP and MP, as large numbers of players fly with HUD on.
2. Regular, Frequent Frametime spikes with no known cause - Several users have documented regular periodic cyclic frametime spikes that occur online, regardless of player numbers, ping, or map. 
3. Skins Loading/Unloading when you look at them- A separate bug, already reported, that may impact performance and stutters. Stuttering appears to worsen when other players are nearby, so the constant loading of skins may be causing issues. Turning off custom skins has improved performance for a few players.

4. Lower Graphics Settings performing worse in terms of stutters - This is a weird one, but we have performance improvements reported by reducing target FPS by 1 FPS (i.e. from 60 to 59) and seeing noticeable improvements. We also see people having fewer issues with higher settings for terrain loading distance and visibility settings, as Therion shows above. Possibly there is an issue with terrain or object rendering occuring closer to the player than the max distance making the game engine have 'spikes' of demand, whereas when they are set to maximum the system somehow handles it better?
5. Map Optimization - The BoBP map definitely poses the most issues for players, and further optimization would be helpful in SP and MP if possible. However, I personally don't think this is the culprit, since the issue also occurs on other MP maps. Map optimization would help for both SP and MP.
6. New Visibility Distance?: This one is hard to document BUT I think most people started seeing this round of bad stuttering when the new visibility distance was implemented. Possibly there is higher traffic between the player and the server, that spikes periodically, especially when players are in close proximity. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

6. New Visibility Distance?: This one is hard to document BUT I think most people started seeing this round of bad stuttering when the new visibility distance was implemented. Possibly there is higher traffic between the player and the server, that spikes periodically, especially when players are in close proximity. 

 

That's exactly when it all started. 

I strongly believe the problem is view distance related. More information going in and out, especially with reflections, distant clouds, planes' attitude compared to sun and lots more now taken into account. I cannot verify this though, obviously. 

Edited by RavN_Sone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I tried MP again after some time and found out that nothing has changed 😕. I tried WOL and Combat BOX. Both servers had severe stuttering (though WOL was noticeably worse). This was too much for my eyes so I quit after very short time.

 

I noticed one weired thing: To my astonishment while at MP I noticed very visible tearing while looking around with TrackIR and this was noticeable especially at higher FPS (cca 90-100) - at lower FPS tearing was not noticeable. No such thing occured to me in SP so far (I use G-sync while V-sync in-game setting is OFF. I have locked FPS at 100 in in-game settings).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tapi said:

Today I tried MP again after some time and found out that nothing has changed 😕. I tried WOL and Combat BOX. Both servers had severe stuttering (though WOL was noticeably worse). This was too much for my eyes so I quit after very short time.

 

I noticed one weired thing: To my astonishment while at MP I noticed very visible tearing while looking around with TrackIR and this was noticeable especially at higher FPS (cca 90-100) - at lower FPS tearing was not noticeable. No such thing occured to me in SP so far (I use G-sync while V-sync in-game setting is OFF. I have locked FPS at 100 in in-game settings).

Maybe try reducing your target FPS or turning off the regulation entirely in-game? If you have G-sync then it is already doing everything that needed at the hardware level. I don't think having a target FPS has any benefit when you don't have in-game Vsync on, but I may not be understanding that correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RavN_Sone said:

 

That's exactly when it all started. 

I strongly believe the problem is view distance related. More information going in and out, especially with reflections, distant clouds, planes' attitude compared to sun and lots more now taken into account. I cannot verify this though, obviously. 

Makes sense to me too!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to add a bit more data into the mix. 

 

Rig: 

CPU: I7 9700K @ 5.0 ghz

GPU: 2080 ti

RAM 32 gb @ 3000 mhz

HMD: Valve Index

 

Here's a screenshot of a 45 minute run in berloga. 

 

il2gpucpu.png.735f2ed27d5c223f346df3a4dc91c290.png

 

Every orange line denotes a dropped frame, which is perceived as stutter. This behavior is consistent in both multi and single player, though more present in multi. The average over the game session is about 60 frame drops per minute. There were about 15-20 players in the server the entire time. 

 

Even more damning that there's a serious issue here is my temps and usage. My CPU (on average about 25% utilization) and GPU (on average 35% utilization) are barely breaking a sweat and yet, the frame drops are consistent. 

 

Is there any update on this? @Jason_Williams

Edited by Floppy_Sock
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully there is some update from the Devs soon. I took a month break from flying IL2 due to the frustrating stutters in MP, just tried it again after two patches have dropped since and the issue is still occurring.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Maybe try reducing your target FPS or turning off the regulation entirely in-game? If you have G-sync then it is already doing everything that needed at the hardware level. I don't think having a target FPS has any benefit when you don't have in-game Vsync on, but I may not be understanding that correctly.

FPS limiter set to LCD native refresh rate IMHO should does more or less the same as V-Sync ON i.e. do not allow FPS exceed native refresh rate of LCD and so prevent tearing.

BUT now I tried FPS Limiter set OFF and V-Sync set ON and tearing is gone 👍

So in-game FPS limiter probably do not do exactly what is expected, because with FPS limiter set to 120 (my LCD is 100 Hz with overdrive to 120 enabled) and V-sync OFF I had tearing even BELOW 120 FPS.

In regard to this thread: tearing is not the factor for stuttering (it was only problem of my setting)

NOTE: Interesting G-Sync V-sync analysis and recommendations: HERE especially recommendation to set FPS limiter 3 frames below target FPS (not tried yet, because it is not allowed in-game but only via external limiter like Riva Tuner)

 

Back to the MP stuttering:

I tried now to set all my settings to MAX with these exceptions:  Mirrors = OFF , HDR = OFF and Custom skins = OFF

And I think (subjectively) there is slightly better performance of the game.

I can confirm that HUD OFF improves performance a little  too.

 

I tried very little populated servers now

WOL (30 users) - still noticeable stuttering, but less then before

Combat BOX (12 users)  - nearly no noticebale stuttering, I can say pleasant experinece

                                               BUT I expect noticeable stuttering as soon as the server is fully populated

 

My actual conclusions:

1. max in-game settings helps

2. HUD off helps

3. less people on servers --> the less stuttering

4. the more stuttering -->  the more jerky trackIR viewing 

5. the lower FPS --> the more jerky TrackIR viewing (in my case in SP below 80 FPS viewing starts to be jerky, but above 90 FPS is much better and above 100 FPS not noticeable)

 

NOTE: IMHO we should separate stuttering per se and jerky Track IR viewing. While the first is probably caused by the game (CPU load with AI computing, net code etc.), the second is caused by TrackIR technology that works best only at 60 or 120 Hz but not in between (see e.g. HERE ). BUT the stuttering has negative impact on smoothness while TrackIR viewing (though it is not the main casue of it), so there is a connection between these two.

 

 

10 hours ago, RavN_Sone said:

@Tapi,

which visibility setting do you use offline? 

The same for SP and MP. Actualy the best is all to max (see above)

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tapi said:

 

 

NOTE: IMHO we should separate stuttering per se and jerky Track IR viewing. While the first is probably caused by the game (CPU load with AI computing, net code etc.), the second is caused by TrackIR technology that works best only at 60 or 120 Hz but not in between (see e.g. HERE ). BUT the stuttering has negative impact on smoothness while TrackIR viewing (though it is not the main casue of it), so there is a connection between these two.

 

 

In fact I have edtracker pro which isnt fixed to 60/120 nad still hase same experience as you.

Its not our rigs (I have second best in my squad and Im the only one with stutters CURRENTLY. One guy who used to have  them  lowered shadows and fixed them) or flight gear. My teammate has weaker PC and same tracker and is free of stutters. Same Windows version. I dont use antivirus;, I turned of all services I could, I tried older nvidia drivers, all kind of settings ingame and in NV CP (that helped few patched before when I had stutters, also after one big patch) but nothing.

We need to face it. The code of this game engine is bugged and very limited as i s netcode.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I tried to lock FPS to 60 (in-game) and to my surprise, there was no stuttering noticeable on WOL as well as on Combat BOX. But of course there is noticeable ghosting (or visible moving) while viewing with TrackIR. This is not the kind of viewing I prefer but it is way better then jerky viewing because at least it is smooth. 

Then I tried to Lock FPS to 80 and found out it is probably for me the best compromise fro MP. Ghosting is nearly gone and stuttering is very little visible on WOL and Combat BOX remains nearly perfect.

Not to mention TAW where I can get 120 FPS nearly everytime.

 

BTW: I would like to know why the TAW server manage to deliver so high FPS but other higly populated servers not? Is TAW somewhat better optimized? If I look at the objects on the ground and count the number of players online I do not see any difference...

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Yesterday I tried to lock FPS to 60 (in-game) and to my surprise, there was no stuttering noticeable on WOL as well as on Combat BOX. But of course there is noticeable ghosting (or visible moving) while viewing with TrackIR. This is not the kind of viewing I prefer but it is way better then jerky viewing because at least it is smooth. 

Then I tried to Lock FPS to 80 and found out it is probably for me the best compromise fro MP. Ghosting is nearly gone and stuttering is very little visible on WOL and Combat BOX remains nearly perfect.

Not to mention TAW where I can get 120 FPS nearly everytime.

 

BTW: I would like to know why the TAW server manage to deliver so high FPS but other higly populated servers not? Is TAW somewhat better optimized? If I look at the objects on the ground and count the number of players online I do not see any difference...

 

True - did also observe this. But to my knowledge, they only use the original maps from BOS and BOM. IIRC they never used the newer ones like KUBAN or even RHINELAND.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tapi Yes - TAW seems to run beautifully. Even at max capacity!  I was told it's because they heavily restrict the amount of AI on the map? 

 

Maybe someone who knows more about it has more insight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 9:01 PM, Floppy_Sock said:

@Tapi Yes - TAW seems to run beautifully. Even at max capacity!  I was told it's because they heavily restrict the amount of AI on the map? 

 

Maybe someone who knows more about it has more insight. 

I don't know what settings on the server side have impact on the FPS on the client side. There are no AI aircraft on TAW and most of vehicles, tanks and AA are deleted when no enemy aircraft is nearby. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tested:

Wings of victory - heavy microstuttering, right from the start

Combatbox - much less mi crostuttering but noticable and also right from the start

TAW - no microstuttering until I get to the enemy base, then I experienced some

 

very interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...