Jason_Williams

Stutters in Multiplayer Research

no matter what settings ..... nothing changes!
FPS up or down, it may be a little better, but not acceptable to me

and the stutter Vidios show the problem well

• Like 1

Yea, I saw the patch and was just dismayed at the fact this issue seems to be ignored. Why can't they just fix this. We don't want anything. We just want non stuttering game. I have a feeling even with a super computer, it would still stutter. It's just not acceptable. Why can't they all just focus on this. Get the main team to try for solutions and try to figure this out. Eliminate the stutters and we all would be happy. It just makes me angry and sad. Sad that this is what it's come down to.

• Thanks 3

I ran a little test on Combat Box server to see if UI HUD impacts game's performance on my rig, in multiplayer environment. I chose this exact server because it shows quite good performance, but is based far away from my place, so the connection delay is still an important factor. Less populated KoTA, with a lot better ping, showed almost no stuttering today.

First, to be clear: HUD is not the deciding factor. Stuttering occurs with and without it, but HUD enabled hinders the frame-time even more, with constant frequency (seen as spikes on the lower graph). This does amplify the freezes and therefore contribute greatly to overall stuttering.

-------

HUD DISABLED:

sL0vV7H.pnginKEP5s.png

HUD ENABLED:

q49dQo2.pngYntu8sL.png

All of these were taken in one online session, same mission. Videos directly one after another, screenshots in few minute intervals.

Specs:

i5 6600k, RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4; rendered in 2560x1440, G-Sync enabled.

• Upvote 1

My rig:
Windows 10
Intel i5 7500k 3.4 ghz
Geforce GTX 1060 3GB running latest drivers (436 I think?).
8 GB Ram
1920x1080 monitor

I did some further testing online in Combat Box over the last couple nights to see if I could isolate the problem, as my improvements happened after I made multiple changes at once. I have no stuttering issues in offline play unless I fly 8 vs. 8 big AI bombers over a major city in the Rheinland map. 

Player numbers were high, and the missions I flew were the same ones between one night and the next - the Ruhr pocket map and Battle of Arnhem.

The only change I made was with activating and deactivating 4k textures. I flew with HUD on, and my graphics settings are pretty much the same as pre-patch, with only clouds turned one step lower to Medium. All the missions were on the Rheinland map. 

With 4K textures ON, I get micro stuttering over cities and more frequent macro stutters overall. Macro stuttering over targets was very noticeable and they were consistent enough to serve as a warning for when players were nearby.

With 4K textures OFF, I get little to no micro stuttering even over cities. I still get Macro stutters. This happens when I am near or over targets, or when players are nearby, but nowhere near as frequently as with 4k Textures ON - maybe once every few minutes or so, rather than two or three times a minute. When not in a target area my game runs very smooth. 

It was a very noticeable change for me, almost night and day. 

I also experience macro-stutters sometimes when zooming in, but it is not consistent - zooming in on instruments in the cockpit sometimes triggers it, while other times zooming in on a major city is smooth as silk.

When I play tracks they run very smooth and I do not see stutters. Unfortunately my upload speed on my internet is abysmal and uploading videos that show it is difficult for me, but I will try if I can.

I hope to do some testing again, this time using cloud settings, to see if I can get back to pre-patch settings for graphics and see what impact that has. 

• Thanks 1

I tried virtualy everything. Reinstalled game and wins, updated wins, tried all different settings within game and NV control panel. It still happens online no matter how many players, specially when Im looking around wih tracker. Offline is without problem.

Ive got to the point when I stopped playing. After so many years of simming. If they dont fix it soon I will just go with CLOD or will completely give up and sell all my flyin gear and say kiss goodbye to my almost 30yrs of simming.

The bigger problem its not only me so this can, in long term, just kill MP of this game. Only few will play and buy anything from here.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Upvote 2

My rig is in my signature.

I play multiplayer most of the time, KOTA, CB, TAW and some times in Wings of without Liberty.

I'm getting stutters when all settings max but as I lowering graphic settings, I'm getting more smoothly experience now, around 80-100FPS when on the ground and 130-150FPS in the air.

Capturar.thumb.PNG.d68ea46498f1b743a9e1b62ef0edfad2.PNG

Edited by SCG_ErwinP

We don't fly anymore, we're just doing endless tuning with no luck. Devs haven't responded for months. So I think it is enough, just forget about MP at least for a year.

• Sad 4
  • Upvote 3

It has been  said repeatedly  already, but have you tried to limit the frame rate? Definitely helps, depends though on your settings how low you need to go.

Admittedly it feels awkward  to sit in front of your fancy fast monitor and have to do that - but have some confidence  and use  it as a workaround until this gets fixed.

No need for the negativism :)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, No.322_Nocke said:

It has been  said repeatedly  already, but have you tried to limit the frame rate? Definitely helps, depends though on your settings how low you need to go.

Admittedly it feels awkward  to sit in front of your fancy fast monitor and have to do that - but have some confidence  and use  it as a workaround until this gets fixed.

I have been tryed and I have still shutters. 

Stutters are looking exactly as in this video from here. And I also noticed that my tracking isnt smooth as before.

What I tried and didnt help:

- changed nvidia drivers (cleaning first with DDU uninstaller then clean isntall)

- made all possible combination of settings in nvidia CP and ingame graphics options

- reinstalled the game

- copied the game onto second SSD

- updated Windows 10 (x64) to latest version

- registry cleaning and defrag and disk optimisation

- no antivirus active check

- CPU, RAM and GPU usage low durin online session with 65 players

- restarted PC before every test

All the time FPS is OK. Doesnt go below 60 which is refresh rate of my monitor.

OFFLINE is FINE in the game.

No problem with stutters in DCS and CLOD in MP. Im using EDtracker pro wired for tracking (with opentrack software).

All this is happening AFTER the latest patch. It happened once before (also, after huge update) but later it was fixed with Jason settings (4k textures ON, vsync in game ON and no full screen).

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

1 hour ago, =LG=Lens said:

I have been tryed and I have still shutters. 

To what did you limit? Was it below the frame rate you get on average? That is what does the trick. Usually. For everyone  I talked to about this so far

30 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Locking Target FPS to 60 has helped reduce stuttering to almost nil on my setup.

I changed from 75Hz monitor to 240Hz and I'm trying to get most FPS as possible (with FreeSync enable). So I didn't lock VSync.

8 hours ago, No.322_Nocke said:

This isn't an option for VR.

Flying with the stuttering even with the strongest VR legs starts to become tiresome and makes you begin to feel I'll, something I haven't had occur for years now.

I've quit IL2 for the last few weeks.

Just took a flight in Combat Box MP.  I usually run Vsync + 60fps frame limiter + DFR: Full.  I normally don't see many stutters. They usually happen ever-so-slightly when a plane enters the edge of whatever my general area/instance is. 

This time I turned off the FPS Limiter and DFR but, kept the Vsync on.  I noticed a lot more stuttering than usual.  

I'm not in VR.  

13 hours ago, No.322_Nocke said:

To what did you limit? Was it below the frame rate you get on average? That is what does the trick. Usually. For everyone  I talked to about this so far

My avarage FPS is around 100 in 144hz monitor. All in ultra and changing to med or low is no difference in shutters. I tryed to lock to 60fps and still there are high jumps of timeframe = shutters.

so again, in the single player all settings to full power, no matter how many ki or battles are simultaneously! the game is super liquid ............ no stuttering nothing !!!

with the same settings in multiplayer stuttering and the game is so puking !

It is not due to the settings !!!!!!!! it had always stuttered in multiplayer, only it was tolerable,but now it is a disaster .

Setting the FPS brings some improvement, but does not solve the problem.

Now my question, why does it bring some improvement? what changes?

something is not working right online !

and I'm really tired of looking for the best attitude after years,but I will never find them in multiplayer because it does not matter what I do there

we all hope that it will be fixed soon

• Upvote 1

I haven't been flying for a long time,
One of the reasons was this,
But since I hadn't flown for a while, I thought it would be a problem of mine.

Today I was surprised by this thread

Like others who complain about the arcade side the simulator is taking

Looks serious

I really enjoyed online with my colleagues in the past

What is the use of improving and improving if it cannot be reproduced?

[edited]

totally agree with the ghost edition

I didn't think before writing ......... for my preferences

No problem Mr. SYN_Haashashin

Edited by E69_pienoir
Unneded trolling remark
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, E69_pienoir said:

What is the use of improving and improving if it becomes unplayable?

It does not improve. New content? Sigh...

Yes brother
I want to say what is the use of making everything more beautiful if I have to cut my graphic configuration to fly

it's a paradox

EDIT:

I hope I don't face my answer

I'm just saying that I've also experienced these problems lately and they make me stop playing and enjoy Box

And I love Cliffs Of Dover for many reasons that I will not explain now, so I take it for anyone who has not tried to do so

and more now that the exit of the theater of tobruk is imminent with all the improvements that have been incorporated since it received the support of 1c

greetings to all

Edited by E69_pienoir
  • Upvote 1

Update. Reinstalled Windows 10 64 bit. Reinstalled IL2 GB. All drivers new and still stutters online. Offline is super smooth no matter the settings.

BUT.

In startup cfg file I changed FPS limiter from 60 to 59. Now is much better but still not smooth like before update.

This is frustrating....now I switched back to Cliffs Of Dover....Ironically this sim is now working much better than IL2 GB.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
  • Upvote 2

Playing in VR has really highlighted the stuttering, which for me is much worse in MP but not limited to it.

The Steam VR performance video attached was taken flying level in Combat Box on Rheinland map and spikes coincide with in game stutters. 

These are worse on latest maps and with clouds.

Adding more AI even to SP mode seems to be the biggest contributor to qty and severity of time delay spikes. 

Winding graphics settings down, hence base level time for rendering helps reduce the effect of delay spikes, but does not eliminate them.

I don't remember seeing spikes like this before when optimising graphics settings for VR. 

Edit... I added some more comparison videos to show the effect of other aircraft in play. 

Edited by Nake350
  • Sad 1

Just to add that I have been experiencing stuttering for the first time since this update (on MP).  Only really noticeable when there is a lot of action e.g. last night I had several planes criss-cross on my screen with shooting, damage and particle effects.  It suddenly went from 100 fps to a motion-capture experience and back again.  I have tried limiting to 60fps but the problem remains.

Edit: reading in this thread indicated that windows update had changed power consumption values - this proved to be the case for me and when I reset it to max performance there is a change and  I have had no stutters in two games since.  Will keep an eye and report back.  

Edited by Bemused
more information
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bemused said:

windows update had changed power consumption values - this proved to be the case for me and when I reset it to max performance there is a change

Tested - unfortunately this is not the culprit, does not eliminate the problem.

I have been testing new LCD (100 Hz overclocked to 120 Hz) this weekend and due to it's WQHD resolution I deliberately changed these in-game settings a set them this way:

Mirrors = OFF

Distant Landscape = 70 km

Distand buildings = OFF

FPS limit = 100

To my surprise evereything started to be butter-smooth in SP so I went to MP (Combat Box server) and immediatelly noticed big improvement! 

I am not sure which of them is the main culprit (I have not tested these settings selectively) but together that works for me the best so far.

Edited by Tapi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I have been testing new LCD (100 Hz overclocked to 120 Hz) this weekend and due to it's WQHD resolution I deliberately changed these in-game settings a set them this way:

Mirrors = OFF

Distant Landscape = 70 km

Distand buildings = OFF

FPS limit = 100

To my surprise evereything started to be butter-smooth in SP so I went to MP (Combat Box server) and immediatelly noticed big improvement! 

I am not sure which of them is the main culprit (I have not tested these settings selectively) but together that works for me the best so far.

I agree in that reducing graphics settings improves gameplay, which is something positive, however I think it is just providing more headroom so the spikes in demand on our systems are less noticeable. 

As per my testing and videos in previous post, I believe the primary source of the stuttering lies in presence, proximity and numbers of other planes to ourselves. 

Edited by Nake350
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Nake350 said:

As per my testing and videos in previous post, I believe the primary source of the stuttering lies in presence, proximity and numbers or other planes to ourselves. 

I agree. If I set SP career air density to max, stuttering starts to be noticeable from time to time...

• Thanks 1

For me it has always been when I look in the direction of other planes.  Would bet my grandmother's hat on the possibility that the graphics engine is trying draw or calculate the instrument cluster needles in other planes somehow.  Many years ago the devs mentioned how you can see the cockpit light turned on in an enemy plane turned on and glowing inside the canopy illuminating all the details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TunaEatsLion said:

For me it has always been when I look in the direction of other planes.  Would bet my grandmother's hat on the possibility that the graphics engine is trying draw or calculate the instrument cluster needles in other planes somehow.  Many years ago the devs mentioned how you can see the cockpit light turned on in an enemy plane turned on and glowing inside the canopy illuminating all the details.

For me, its not if I look in the direction of other planes, but it happens more often when they are in the vicinity in the air. It occurs more frequently over ground targets but that may be because more planes are there. I do not get the stutters much at all on airfields on the ground anymore, however, even when there are a half dozen planes taking off with me.

Coinciding with the start of the stuttering issue for me, I have noticed the bug that others have reported where when you look at a plane in MP, it has the default skin, and then the skin the player has chosen 'pops in' a second or two later. So a  silver P-51 becomes a RAF coloured one. So I sort of wonder if this texture popping in and out is happening a lot when planes are nearby and contributing to the higher load, as the game re-loads the skin?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Coinciding with the start of the stuttering issue for me, I have noticed the bug that others have reported where when you look at a plane in MP, it has the default skin, and then the skin the player has chosen 'pops in' a second or two later. So a  silver P-51 becomes a RAF coloured one. So I sort of wonder if this texture popping in and out is happening a lot when planes are nearby and contributing to the higher load, as the game re-loads the skin?

That's a good point as this issue may well be related. I've sat for a while trying to work out which skin/ load out etc on a neighboring plane is the right one as it cycles between them. I've also seen airfield hardware undecided whether it should be rendered or not. 

Just referencing ground forces.. In my own testing, I saw no additional overhead at all in VR timings, whilst flying around and attacking them with no other planes in game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

I also noticed this strange skin behavior when I spawn on an airfield. The planes show the standard skin for a second, then blink into another, let's say custom skin. After this

strange observation, I checked all my graphic settings and NVidia CP settings. Finally I found in my game that the option "Show custom skins" was actually selected, although

I did unselect them way back in time when this option was available for the first time (update 2.001 or so?).

So, I unselected this option again and this skin blinking was gone. To me it seems that the HUD and those custom skins have more impact on the performance than supposed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

I also noticed this strange skin behavior when I spawn on an airfield. The planes show the standard skin for a second, then blink into another, let's say custom skin. After this

strange observation, I checked all my graphic settings and NVidia CP settings. Finally I found in my game that the option "Show custom skins" was actually selected, although

I did unselect them way back in time when this option was available for the first time (update 2.001 or so?).

So, I unselected this option again and this skin blinking was gone. To me it seems that the HUD and those custom skins have more impact on the performance than supposed.

Interesting, I will try this myself! And I would turn off the HUD  if I could watch the chat still. But wihtout chat you can't see what your team is doing in MP as many people don't have voice comms or are on their own channels.

Edited by RedKestrel

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Interesting, I will try this myself! And I would turn off the HUD  if I could watch the chat still. But wihtout chat you can't see what your team is doing in MP as many people don't have voice comms or are on their own channels.

Ah ok, I see. But when you hear a beep, then you know about some incoming messages, so you can turn on the HUD and after reading again off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16.11.2019 at 16:31, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Aktualisieren. Windows 10 64-Bit neu installiert. IL2 GB neu installiert. Alle Fahrer neu und stottert noch online. Offline ist super flüssig, egal welche Einstellungen.

ABER.

In der Start-CFG-Datei habe ich den FPS-Limiter von 60 auf 59 geändert.

Das ist frustrierend .... jetzt bin ich wieder zu Cliffs Of Dover gewechselt .... Ironischerweise funktioniert diese Sim jetzt viel besser als IL2 GB.

I  tried it and entered in the startup cfg 59 fps........and it is smooth !!! 

I do not get it....had it a few days so left, because I assumed it would be an illusion,back to 60 fps and it stuttered again online......

I have no explanation where the hang together ?

21 hours ago, III./ZG1_Angus said:

I  tried it and entered in the startup cfg 59 fps........and it is smooth !!! 

I do not get it....had it a few days so left, because I assumed it would be an illusion,back to 60 fps and it stuttered again online......

I have no explanation where the hang together ?

To be clear...setting the FPS to 59 rather than 60 made a significant improvement for you? That really is weird. But I think I will try it next time I get online.

• Thanks 1