Sign in to follow this  
No457_Stonehouse

Question about the Tempest gunsight

I've been doing some reading and while I am not sure I think we have the modified mkII sight which was only on the early Tempests rather than the mkIII projector sights (it isn't gyro a sight) that were fitted to the series 2 Tempests by the time they were deployed to the Continent.  If correct perhaps there should be a mkIII as a modification similar to the P-51 and the K14 if that was possible for the dev team to add?

Main source of info for me has been quotes apparently taken from a book British Aircraft Armament Vol.2: Guns and Gunsights", by R Wallace Clarke but unfortunately I don't have access to a copy to check the source.

Does anyone have any info either way?

Edited by No457_Stonehouse

I have a copy of Vol 2 Stonehouse what reference do you need ?

Is this what you need :

Beasights.jpg

Edited by Bert_Foster

Thanks Bert - I believe you have posted the pages I was seeing quotes from. In particular the point that the MkIII had only a single control ring (where we have 2) and that we have a ring and range bars whereas the MkIII had a ring and dot with two modes - one for ground attack and one for air. Then on page 161 where the comment is made regarding it's use in the Tempest. Other articles I have seen floating about talk about the puzzling fact that even though the Tempest was the best low-med alt fighter in the RAF late war it used the MkIII right through the war only getting the gyro sight shortly after it was all over while Spitfires and other aircraft got the gyro sights before the war finished. The anti dazzle shield shown in your pic was removable by the way and judging by pics it seems like it was often left off. This left off leaves the projector lens that makes up the top of the sight exposed and looks somewhat like the top of the sight we have in game which is why I wasn't sure about what we had. It seems very probable that we have the wrong sight for the Bodenplatte era Tempest.

Someone I was flying with last night actually reckons if you move your view in cockpit forward and sort of look back you actually see a plate on the sight saying MkII.

Hopefully there is enough data available for the MkIII to be offered as a modification as well as the later version of the Sabre engine before leaving early release or at least as a later patch. Hopefully the devs see this thread and consider it.

Edited by No457_Stonehouse