the_dudeWG

What would "complete" FC1?

38 minutes ago, J5_Sturm said:

I also think the Nieuports would be a good addition and even though I can't fly them I like them.

I’m not sure if Nieuports are a good idea as part of FC1 collector planes. The N11 and N17 would be excellent FC2 material, of course, along with the Pup, SPAD VII, Albatros D.III, D.II and Halby D.II.

So this leaves the N28. I mean, yes, I would buy it. It will fly exactly the way it does in RoF (we can make a case regarding its high wing loading), so I will never fly it. I would rather see the Hanriot, which is a “true” Nieuport, very similar to the N23 and N24. Of course the Belgians didn’t operate South of Ypres so it doesn’t really make sense to add it in now, but will it ever?

I maintain (as mentioned in the previous thread which disappeared): please bring on the Breguet and DFW, or perhaps even the bombers.

I'm kind of against having RoF planes as collector planes, seeing as FC is essentially RoF's successor. I'd much rather have FC volume 2 (and 3?) that introduces them. 

A 1918-spec SPAD XIII and a D.IIIau D.VII would be great collector planes, especially for FC1's time period, although it would be a little backwards - I think they should have been standard, with the 1917 SPAD XIII and the D.IIIa D.VII being collector crates! Other contenders include a Bentley Camel and a 200hp Alb. 

As for what would complete FC1, I think WW1-era ground units with extra activity on the ground, period-correct AAA with black bursts for German AA, white for Entente, and possibly an extended front, as well as a more sizeable plane-set ;) 

Edited by US103_Larner
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure advanced examples of existing planes should be released as collector. Might lead to accusations of the 'pay to win' variety. I'll settle for a Snipe thank you very much. 

S! 

I see your point - but I'd argue that a snipe would be easier to misconstrue as pay-to-win than a HS 8Be SPAD XIII or a D.IIIau D.VII ;) 

Either way, I'd say they are all equally essential to a 1918 scenario! 

Implementation of Aü engine for planes that had it like the DVIIaü.

235HP Spad.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Like 1

Zeppelin:ph34r: .....................................................................................................................................................................................................(i'm kidding)

Edited by -332FG-Garven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -332FG-Garven said:

Zeppelin:ph34r: .....................................................................................................................................................................................................(i'm kidding)

Id LOVE zeppelins...

wonder what will happen if you shoot 'em ... what game is this?

zeppelin.jpeg

5 hours ago, J5_Sturm said:

I also think the Nieuports would be a good addition and even though I can't fly them I like them.

They would be more of an FC2 plane set, assuming it's based on 1917. The N28 would be a fun collectors option for FC1, but I can't imagine what we'd do be doing with N11's and N17's against 1918 opposition. S!

Edited by the_dudeWG

6 hours ago, J5_Sturm said:

Oh I can't fly them either...…. But In RoF I used to be able to crash them really elegantly!!!!  😲

The N17 is an awesome plane. Good climb, good turn and very maneuverable. She gives a really hard time even to the ROF DVa. You have to be really good on the DVa to succeed. Albatros D.III is fodder to her. *Although you can't compete with the Dr1.

I did like the N11 better, but once I started flying the N17, the N11 pales in comparison. The latter is easier to fly, but the N17 has more torque and has a good climb for the period.

Edited by SeaW0lf

10 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

The latter is easier to fly, but the N17 has more torque and has a good climb for the period.

The steep climbing left hand rudder turn bleeds all opposition besides the Dr.I quickly of energy. You‘re soon above the enemy and in the diving turn you gain on them. Almost like our Camel now in FC...

The N17 just lacks two native guns, but 1vs1, she is fun to fly. I had some memorable fights against Halbs, Albies and D7s, even the F is the player is up for a scrap.

• Like 1

/offtopic Nieuport 17 versus Dr.I is kind of a Flyboys myth. Did they ever meet?

Also, Battlefield 1 makes for some very good two-seater groundpound gameplay.

/offtopic

Like others said, proper recon planes and a career that supports them. In RoF those were my favourite missions (arty spotting, recon and photo recon) and I hated that even in dedicated recon squadrons they were so rare.

"Flying Circus is now complete as it was planned and announced."

I guess we will all know the answer soon ...

I'm sure there will (again) be no seasons. I doubt there will be any observational balloons. We will probably not be able to land/ditch outside of our limited selection of airfields. We will probably be stuck with that strange looking, green NML and its "tropical" rivers. Overall, it will be very interesting what we receive and how they describe their plans for what's next for FC. 

What would complete Flying Circus?

- Observation Balloons

fla1.jpg

- Two collector planes. Preferably planes we've never seen in Rise of Flight.

m0SsRzo.jpg voisin_3_flashback_500.jpg

- A Dynamic Campaign like the rest of the Il-2GB series.

Edited by Motherbrain

Spot on about the collector planes, would generate interest.

Mind you, I don't fancy the view from that Gerry crate.. and the 'flying bogey' below wouldn't last 5 seconds against the DVIIf's of this world. 

S! 

1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Mind you, I don't fancy the view from that Gerry crate.. and the 'flying bogey' below wouldn't last 5 seconds against the DVIIf's of this world.

Your thinking in terms of competitive multiplayer, which I couldn't care less about. Its all about the aesthetic for me. If it looks different or odd, I want it. 😉

• Like 1

Adequate AI and interesting career mode. Doubt this ever happens though...

I’m with Z, and I couldn’t care less about MP. We need balloons and late 1917 to 1918 2 seaters most of all. It would give us options for real missions, especially for SP like PWCG. I feel like, in its current state, FC is only an MP furball exercise. The map is pretty, but it’s almost irrelevant at this point. We can dogfight over any generic landscape. 

I mean If you really wanted to know what I think would complete Flying Circus. Realistic expectations aside...

- All of Rise of Flights Aircraft and Maps Imported into Il-2, complete with dynamic campaigns and mission sets

1c10a14c4533e3ac3eac8c84500cbc20.jpg ss_8bdfbbdb4a22fd3010a5f11e16025f381b288736.1920x1080.jpg?t=1447358393

- Airships: Fully simulated and player controlled - I suggest the P-class rigid airship for the Germans and the S.S. Class Submarine Scout non-rigid for the British

L_31_in_Luft.jpgSS_23.jpg

- WWI tanks for the Tank Crew expansion - I recommend the A7V for the Germans and the Mk.V (male) for the British.

19864252f28726a998c5363d0c3577ab.jpg German%20A7V%20and%202nd%20Lieutenant%20Frank%20Mitchell's%20Mark%20IV%20(male)%20tank%20outside%20Villers-Bretonneux.jpg?itok=y3_WoBvR

... Again... realistic expectations aside. Maybe in Flying Circus vol.192... 😄

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Motherbrain said:

Your thinking in terms of competitive multiplayer, which I couldn't care less about. Its all about the aesthetic for me. If it looks different or odd, I want it. 😉

Wasn't specifically thinking of mp, what would you fly it against offline? Would need a module of similar period crates which would be great, one of rof's shortfalls. I do however think that it would make more sense, as had been suggested, that future releases work back in time from fc1. Surely better for career mode? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Motherbrain said:

You're thinking in terms of competitive multiplayer, which I couldn't care less about.

Is it really possible to be satisfied flying exclusively against predictable bots?  Do you never wonder how you would fare against other bio-players?

I rarely play any game vs other people as so many cheat/exploit. Offline is where its at for me. ymmv :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

I rarely play any game vs other people as so many cheat/exploit. Offline is where its at for me. ymmv :)

Many cheat / exploit? What do you mean?! I believe we have a very decent multiplayer experience at our disposal in this game. I strongly advise you to check it for yourself and see how it goes for you. Just been at Jasta 5 FlugPark with 45 people and it was great fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

Is it really possible to be satisfied flying exclusively against predictable bots?  Do you never wonder how you would fare against other bio-players?

Nope. In MP you fly around for 30 minutes looking for somebody, then suddenly your screen goes red, somebody you didn't see instakills you, and you start over. Maybe if people weren't so stuck up and let you use icons. But no. Not my idea of a good time. And the bots need improving for sure.

People that tell me planes are easy to spot without icons either have funky game settings or are just insane, because I basically cant spot a plane unless its sitting right next to me.

Its basically like WT. People don't behave realistically. Everybody is free hunting. Nobody is concerned for their safety. Why would they? They are playing a game.

Multiplayer isn't for me. I don't like it. And I'm glad Il-2 isn't like so many other games that force you to play it for the validation and exploitation of everybody else.

The only reason I got into Il-2 is because it has good single player. Because if Warthunder had good SP, I would be playing that for sure. More planes. More maps. Better optimization. But it doesn't. It forces you to play MP. So I support Il-2. And make do with a much more limited plane and map set.

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Career mode

An updated version of ROF capable of taxing my RTX 2080 XC Ultra

• Like 1

@=FB=Vaal   Please note what would "complete" FC1 IMHO

Points/scores in the game and in the server stats for usage of camera in FC planes for photo recon / trench mapping and radio for task such artillery fire direction missions.

plus

Great war era decorations and medals in server stats.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

Many cheat / exploit? What do you mean?! I believe we have a very decent multiplayer experience at our disposal in this game. I strongly advise you to check it for yourself and see how it goes for you. Just been at Jasta 5 FlugPark with 45 people and it was great fun.

i was not casting aspersions on this community, rather have had poor experiences in almost all MP games ive played over the decades, so as a rule, i mostly play any game in SP or coop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Motherbrain said:

In MP you fly around for 30 minutes looking for sombody, then suddenly your screen goes red, sombody you didnt see instakills you, and you start over.

This happens to me all too often.  But I keep flying MP when I can.  I regret not getting into it at all in RoF, and now those days are mostly behind us.

People that tell me planes are easy to spot without icons ither have funky game settings or are just insane, beacuse I basically cant spot a plane unless its sitting right next to me.

This is also me.  I see them when it's too late to maneuver for an advantage.  I've since lowered my resolution from 1440 to 1080 in hopes of mitigating this some.  The other week I was flying with @JimTM and he was spotting all kinds of distant stuff I didn't have a clue about!

40 minutes ago, Donik said:

This happens to me all too often.  But I keep flying MP when I can.  I regret not getting into it at all in RoF, and now those days are mostly behind us.

This is also me.  I see them when it's too late to maneuver for an advantage.  I've since lowered my resolution from 1440 to 1080 in hopes of mitigating this some.  The other week I was flying with @JimTM and he was spotting all kinds of distant stuff I didn't have a clue about!

Nowadays you basically can only spot planes at your level or above. Veterans know where to look, but at the end of the day, whatever is below will be many times missed by most of us anyway - something that seldom happens in ROF, since ROF has a way more superior rendering in my opinion, with defined edges, shades, lighting and reflection. BOX engine has an opaque tone to everything and everything merges with the terrain like a chameleon. To help a bit, look for the patch of sky below the horizon. It has some haze, and sometimes you can spot them there. And spotting got reduced, so you have to use zoom all the time.

Today I had some good examples at the J5 server.

Flew almost one hour at 5000m, saw no one other than a Fokker at my level. Saw flak several times, no luck. Just empty air. Then I descended to 4000m and found a party down there with five or six fokkers and albies going on and about the mud.

I went with another Camel to Cappy at 8000f. The sun was high in the sky, clear weather. Saw no one for several minutes, just empty flak that I wasn’t sure it was for us. We engaged two D7s slightly above that came to meet us. As we went down dogfighting, we crossed layers of enemy aircraft that were probably climbing to meet us. Saw none of them while I was up there. I tried to cross the mud dragging several of them behind me like a swarm of bees.

In a Camel, I engaged a Dr1 and lost him in the middle of the dogfight against the terrain (a very common thing here, even before the update). The sun was high in the sky, clear weather. I had to level to look for him, fearing a hang prop with some bullets in my belly. Thankfully I found him in time.

Plus all the furballs that I can’t get down there and engage because I can’t see who is down there.

And this way it goes, so don't feel bad for yourselves. It has been bad for a lot of us, many being veterans. I personally have to be flying with zoom at 60/70% most of the time, which is basically flying through a periscope.

Back to topic, balloons.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Nope. In MP you fly around for 30 minutes looking for sombody, then suddenly your screen goes red, sombody you didnt see instakills you, and you start over. Maybe if people werent so stuck up and let you use icons. But no. Not my idea of a good time. And the bots need improving for sure.

In a pub, you drink alone for 90 minutes then someone spills your beer. Not my idea of good time either, can't understand why people go out :P.

What you describe is typical for new pilot trying to lone wolf through what is, at the core, social experience. Missing all good parts, getting hit by the bad parts. You need to get on TS, try finding and joining people that happen to be online, have someone to laugh with you through boring moments that would otherwise build up anaxiety, have someone to warn you of attacks (it's easier to guard each other) and lead you to contacts. Then have someone to laugh with or relive tension after the fight (or, if things go bad and you go down first, someone still flying that you need to extract from that fight). Then you discover that behind those upstuck bastards that blow people from the sky before they can notice there is another, very friendly community of people who geerally know each other and fly togehter one day, alongside other, against next, but regardless of choice of the table sit at the same pub.

(When I decided to give squadron a try, I deliberatly avoided J5 and 1PL, because they kept killing me when lone-wolfing and I decided I want nothing to do with people who make so much sport of ruining my game. Flying with J2 I got introduced to them very quickly, found them to be great people, spent likely as much time flying with them as with my own squadron).

(I jumped and shot down 1PL-Husar yesterday. Later I learned he was just opening his beer when it happened (that pub analogy starts to make sense). 700 meters below him, two of his mates were fighting my mate, Jakob, so I should say something degradatory about moment he chose for that beer but I didn't see them down there either. When I dived down one of the 1PL collided with Jakob, and I was left in duel of wits with what I'm pretty sure was Lucas. I'm 60% sure I was getting upper hand, when that Dr.I (Sizzlor? Logs don't say, my memory is hazy, but we had a chat afterwards) passes through us and sets him on fire with one burst. Hard to be mad at him when he turned cletched-teeth drama into slapstick moment. And of course, we get no kill messages, so I might get who-is-who completly wrong, other than everybody mentioned was there, somewhere, and we ended up laughing.)

EverybodyLaughs_5749.jpg

If you (and I mean, anyone) own Albatros D.III, Pfalz D.IIIa or Pup in RoF, please check out Flanders in Flames tournament to fly with some people. It runs every Saturday at about 19:00 GMT, teams are set, everybody is on the same comms, if you don't like lone wolfing, you'll be welcome to join fighter flight and go out with people watching your back. 

https://forum.jg1.org/forum/73-fif-tournament-information/

27 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

Back to topic, balloons.

There is no topic, baloons will be there ;). (And lack of ww1 trains on screenshots does not mean we'll be hunting ww2 trains, either).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2