All day now I get "Failed to update" when I try to launch the game. Something on my end?  I'm on version 3.201C.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aufpassen said:

Same here...

Thanks for the info. We will have to be patient I guess. 

well, I can start the game by going in the bin directory and clicking the il2.exe.

Anyway, something server-side mostl likely.

As I remember it was a common error a while ago, which can be solved by deleting the update folder followed by repeating the update.

Doesn't work, failed to update. Trying to install it since I just got a VR headset and been away for awhile...come on!

I reinstalled it to a different folder then the (x86) folder and now it updates....nvm.

48 minutes ago, Aufpassen said:

well, I can start the game by going in the bin directory and clicking the il2.exe

It works for me too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take that back. It doesnt work that way either....

Edited by Cyklon

Same here.

As i can understand from log - game try to update but something going wrong. Maybe hot-fix coming?

--- starting update ---
working at: \\?\C:\IL2GB
base dir: ., tag: 19-10-04
Connecting to BOS test server 1 (il2bosrd1.s3.amazonaws.com, port 80)
Loading local copy of install-actions
WARNING: snapshot md5 unknown, processing in unsafe mode
ERROR, snapshot filesize is incorrect
Downloading remote copy of snapshot.
Failed to download file (-1: Could not resolve host: il2bosrd1.s3.amazonaws.com; Host not found, try again)
  file id: unknown.snap
Failed to get snapshot for version unknown
Closing cURL client.
Downloaded 0 kBytes.
Killing update threads...
Killing caching thread...
leaving il2_KillUpdateThreads()
Copying update.log to last_update.log

Hi ! 

I've been playing il2 1946 since i was a child and today I decided to buy Batlle of Moscow and Batlle of Kuban. I bought them and recieved keys to my games. I downoladed il2 launcher and it keeps saying that update has failed. I dont know how to use my keys and how to fix my problem with launcher. 

20 minutes ago, Cwirek said:

Hi ! 

I've been playing il2 1946 since i was a child and today I decided to buy Batlle of Moscow and Batlle of Kuban. I bought them and recieved keys to my games. I downoladed il2 launcher and it keeps saying that update has failed. I dont know how to use my keys and how to fix my problem with launcher. 

I tried a few options found in these Forums but nothing works. I guess it's a server side problem. We will have to wait 'till they fix it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cwirek said:

Hi ! 

Looks like its a general issue. If you just downloaded it today you have the newest version of the launcher and you shouldn't have any bad mojo from previous updates causing a problem. I seriously doubt it is something you can resolve on your end as you would be doing a clean install.

I am not at my computer so I cannot see if I get it too. As mentioned above, it could be a recent server bug or it could be that there is a hotfix incoming. 

I would contact Il2 Support on the site and explain your problem. If nothing else, the more people who complain to support, the more quickly they will realize there is an issue.

• Thanks 1

Same. I had this a couple days back and booting the game through IL2.exe fixed it, but today that doesn't seem to work.

It's working now! I was under the impression it was updating but I'm still on 3.201C

19 minutes ago, claw said:

It's working now! I was under the impression it was updating but I'm still on 3.201C

Probably an issue with the server having some wrong ID for the game file it was checking, which made it think there was an update needed...

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Looks like its a general issue. If you just downloaded it today you have the newest version of the launcher and you shouldn't have any bad mojo from previous updates causing a problem. I seriously doubt it is something you can resolve on your end as you would be doing a clean install.

I am not at my computer so I cannot see if I get it too. As mentioned above, it could be a recent server bug or it could be that there is a hotfix incoming. 

I would contact Il2 Support on the site and explain your problem. If nothing else, the more people who complain to support, the more quickly they will realize there is an issue.

Thanks a lot for replying ! I have one more question. Where do I activate my keys ?  

Edited by Cwirek

Just now, Cwirek said:

Thanks a lot for replying ! I have one more question. I have to activate my keys on il2 launcher right ? 

No, I don't think so. Check your account in the Il2sturmovik.com store. Once you purchase the games, they should be automatically activated on your account. If not, you can activate them there.

Then all you ahve to do is launch the game and log in to your account on the login screen. The game will run and all the content you currently own will be available to you. So, you should have all the Battle of Moscow and Battle of Kuban planes, career modes for Moscow and Kuban, etc. You already have the little forum tags under your avatar on the forum so likely everythign is all ready to go when you log in.

9 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

No, I don't think so. Check your account in the Il2sturmovik.com store. Once you purchase the games, they should be automatically activated on your account. If not, you can activate them there.

Then all you ahve to do is launch the game and log in to your account on the login screen. The game will run and all the content you currently own will be available to you. So, you should have all the Battle of Moscow and Battle of Kuban planes, career modes for Moscow and Kuban, etc. You already have the little forum tags under your avatar on the forum so likely everythign is all ready to go when you log in.

Well i had keys and my games in my purchases but i dont really know how to even download them from the website. It looks like the launcher (in my case not working) is the only way to download my new bought games :'

9 minutes ago, Cwirek said:

Well i had keys and my games in my purchases but i dont really know how to even download them from the website. It looks like the launcher (in my case not working) is the only way to download my new bought games :'

You are correct, you need to download the game from the launcher. The launcher will download the game for you, install it, and then you can play the game from there. The launcher automatically checks for updates every time you use it.

But once you download the game and launch it you don't need to do anything else, all  your content should be there.

Looks like some people are seeing it working for them again. Why not try restarting your computer and try the launcher again? 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, claw said:

And....we're back to "failed to update" 😆

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If you have time, I would suggest everyone in the thread experiencing this report this to support. 

I don't think it is a global issue. CombatBox has 60 players flying on it right now so obviously it is possible to contact the master server. 

3 hours ago, NHK295M said:

Same here.

As i can understand from log - game try to update but something going wrong. Maybe hot-fix coming?

--- starting update ---
working at: \\?\C:\IL2GB
base dir: ., tag: 19-10-04
Connecting to BOS test server 1 (il2bosrd1.s3.amazonaws.com, port 80)
Loading local copy of install-actions
WARNING: snapshot md5 unknown, processing in unsafe mode
ERROR, snapshot filesize is incorrect
Downloading remote copy of snapshot.
Failed to download file (-1: Could not resolve host: il2bosrd1.s3.amazonaws.com; Host not found, try again)
  file id: unknown.snap
Failed to get snapshot for version unknown
Closing cURL client.
Downloaded 0 kBytes.
Killing update threads...
Killing caching thread...
leaving il2_KillUpdateThreads()
Copying update.log to last_update.log

Where did you get this log file? If you can post it, maybe everyone else can look at theirs and see if they get the same thing. Also would be a good thing to include in any support conversations.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Where did you get this log file? If you can post it, maybe everyone else can look at theirs and see if they get the same thing. Also would be a good thing to include in any support conversations.

<game_directory>/updates/last_update.log

And in /updates today appear folder "unknown". Several days ago i made a bug report about german vehicle sdkfz251-szf that crush dserver.exe and developers said it will be fixed in coming hotfix. So it must be coming...🙃

• Thanks 1

I just gave my game a try and the same issue as each of you.:cray:

Not all areas are covered by a single server I believe, there are numerous dotted around the areas covered by the community so most likely a local issue rather than world wide, I am in England.;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Failed to update.

Executing the il2.exe directly works for me and I can log in online. But the launcher is bugged.

14 minutes ago, J2_Jakob said:

Failed to update.

Executing the il2.exe directly works for me and I can log in online. But the launcher is bugged.

I managed to connect to servers by cliclking on the green ENTER tile several times in the row, However statring game through luncher still doesn't work and I get the "Failed to update" error.

Edited by Ouky1991

Start the game with the restarter button , it works !

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-22 at 21.13.07.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-22 at 21.12.58.jpeg

Edited by 1.JaVA_KEBEN

Using restarter I can launch Il2.

But the normal launcher window does still fail to update.

same here.. EU is affected

Edited by TWHYata_PL

I was fine (started the game two hours ago) and have been flying on Jasta 5 server. But just left the game to post up about something in the Bristol and I am now seeing the same thing. Going to try some suggestions here then.

EDIT: Using that restarter. Closing the game. And running through the launcher now seems alright, for the moment.

Edited by Oliver88

Had the same issue all day. I can start the IL-2.exe, but only in offline mode.

I also receive the messages: 1. no internet connection, or 2. no contact to the master server.

The restarter did not fix it for me.

If others can join online it might indeed be a regional problem. I live in Austria.

Guys it's something server side.

My beta build won't launch either, so we'll have to just wait.

Public build will launch by using the .exe as indicated.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GrumpyElk said:

Had the same issue all day. I can start the IL-2.exe, but only in offline mode.

I also receive the messages: 1. no internet connection, or 2. no contact to the master server.

The restarter did not fix it for me.

If others can join online it might indeed be a regional problem. I live in Austria.

Have you tried hitting the ENTER button several times in a row? That worked for me.

Same problem.

looks like game is having a hard time connecting to Master Server.

Can make it work by going to your Computer files for 

IL-2 Sturmovik

Game

IL-2.exe

You may get a message about not connecting with master server, just keep hitting ENTER.

8 hours ago, Ouky1991 said:

Have you tried hitting the ENTER button several times in a row? That worked for me.

Yes, thank you.

I sat there for 2 - 3 minutes and hammered the Start button, but it would not work for me.

But it seems fixed now. The launcher starts the game just fine.

All back to normal. I was just hoping this failure was due to the implementation of either a new update or just BOBp.

Next time 🙂

Same issue here in Australia. FAILED TO UPDATE!!!😬😡. Tried 5 or 6 times and nothing happening... However using the "Restarter" command as above and the game works. But shouldn't have to do this though.