SAS_Storebror

Pilots Notes for Cockpit Photos

Just wanted to bump the thread to remind people this exists. It's really awesome.

Posted (edited)

Mike, I tried to use your notes for the first time in an A-20 the other night and realized the MP/RPM settings were wrong on my copy, I've had it for awhile so I'm not sure if you have made any changes to it or not

A-20 Pilots Notes.png

I made a cheat sheet a long time ago from Requiem's tutorial how to fly the A-20 and his values were

PILOT’S NOTES: A-20B Havoc

ENGINE LIMITATIONS:

RPM                        MP

MAX LEAN CONTINUOUS                             1705                       27.5” / 30”

MAX RICH CONTINUOUS                              2300                       36” / 40”

TAKEOFF POWER (5 MIN LIMIT)                 2400                       45”

MANIFOLD PRESSURE ARE FOR STAGE 1 THEN STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGER

And these from another guide

Engine: Wright R-2600-11

Time Limit         RPM         Boost 1st gear     Boost 2nd gear               Mixture

Cruise                   -              1,705                    27.5                        30.0                        Auto Lean

Nominal              -              2,300                     36.0                        40.0                        Auto rich

Combat        5 min            2,400                     43.0                        41.0                        Auto Rich

I realized the photo in cockpit was wrong because I could not get the RPM to what was on your photo.  It's been quite awhile since I have flown the A-20 and I'd forgotten all the settings.  Hope you find some time to fix this one.

Thanks

Mike W................. Hoss

Edited by 361st_Hoss

Thanks, that will work........

Hoss

Another bump, more people should be using this. This 'mod' (it's not a mod, doesn't require mods on mode) is something I rely on basically every sortie. Thanks again to SAS for creating it.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, love this mod, especially when using VR! I keep meaning to add in my own notes for the Flying Circus planes but then just look up the specs again before strapping on the Oculus Quest.  Hint hint, though, for anyone willing to create the notes for FC and post them here 😎

Bump, this is a great mod, thanks. Any chance we can get one for the Yak9's? :)

👍👍👍

12 minutes ago, I./JG26-G_Schwarz said:

any update for the yak-9 ? 

In the mean time just copy across the note for the Yak-7b as the engine settings are pretty much unchanged.  Only real difference is the supercharger is at 2200m and it does not drop bombs.   If you have Photoshop or similar then just copy the 2 of 2000 and paste it over the first 0 to make 2200.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that suggestion, Roblex.  I did exactly as you suggested, just to have something until the OP Storebror can create his official, best-looking versions and add them to his Base Version.  I'll share them here, but really, these are just hacks of Storebror's fantastic original work - he deserves all credit for essentially allowing us to hop in and out of aircraft we don't know as well as we should 😁

For anyone else interested, I compared the pilot notes for the Yak-7b to the Yak9s1 and Yak9Ts1 specifications now included in the game and found a few minor differences, including what Roblex noted in his above post.

It turns out there are even minor specification differences between these two Yak-9 variants.  Since I had Photoshop open anyway, I made pilots notes for each.  I named them custom_photoYak9s1.dds and custom_photoYak9Ts1.dds just so anyone downloading them can distinguish which is which.

Each goes in their respective \data\graphics\Planes\Yak9xxx\Textures\ folders, and must have their names changed to custom_photo.dds to replace what the game provides stock.

I recommend using JSGME to move these in and out as game updates are released since these will get overwritten with each game update.  If you already have Storebror's "PNCP Base Version - Pilots Notes for Cockpit Photos" in JSGME, you can add these new plane folders and the attached into your MODS folder. 

Please don't shoot my 109 down 😆

Yak9.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 3/1/2020 at 12:33 PM, sniperton said:

most typewriters had Antiqua letters

Antiqua is a wide area of fonts.

If you could come up with a good suitable WW2-style Antiqua Typwriter truetype font, I might adopt it for the pilots notes accordingly.

BTW - Yak-9 notes will be added with the next update, coming very soon.

As for the FC kites, I'd love to add pilots notes for them, but the ingame info texts simply contain nothing suitable here.

I'm open for suggestions regarding what exactly to write down for each of the FC planes.

:drinks:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Do I need mod enable to use this? Because I remember that you could just replace the cockpit image by your own without using mods.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

If you could come up with a good suitable WW2-style Antiqua Typwriter truetype font, I might adopt it for the pilots notes accordingly.

Here's a nice series on it:
https://www.creativebloq.com/typography/free-typewriter-fonts-1131774
https://www.creativebloq.com/typography/best-typewriter-fonts-10135084

I'd suggest:

https://www.1001fonts.com/traveling-typewriter-font.html
https://www.1001fonts.com/gabriele-font.html#styles

Here's lots of:
https://www.1001fonts.com/typewriter-fonts.html?page=1&items=10

Edited by Retnek
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

Do I need mod enable to use this? Because I remember that you could just replace the cockpit image by your own without using mods.

No because all you are doing is replacing the default cockpit 'sweetheart' photo with one of your own.   Charlo suggested using JSGME just because it mean all the notes are backed up by JSGME so wont be lost if the game is updated.   

Posted (edited)

Sorry to say but "Traveling Typewriter" font looks almost identical to the "Typewriter" version we have already, compare yourself:tox_traveling.gif.40729bad88efa5844c08188f81ab0822.gif

"Gabriele" readability is just too poor for this use case.

That being said, it turns out that the current typewriter font being used already is an "Antiqua" font apparently, so no change needed.

*bump*

Mod has been updated to version 1.01.

Changes:

• A-20 RPM values fixed
  • Yak-9 and Yak-9T added

Link available in 1st post.

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

As for the FC kites, I'd love to add pilots notes for them, but the ingame info texts simply contain nothing suitable here.

I'm open for suggestions regarding what exactly to write down for each of the FC planes.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The old Rise of Flight manual has useful data in its appendix D.  That is probably the closest to FC data we can get.  For my own, personal  use I knocked out my own versions of Pilot’s Notes for the FC planes, using your Pilot’s Notes background image and Times New Roman as my font.  I only created them for myself so don’t know how definitive they are for the FC planes.  I knew the ROF planes better and found Appendix D in the below to be accurate for them in ROF.  

The Rise of Flight manual is available here: https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/45373-new-useful-materials-page-official-links/

Let me know if you want me to PM you what I created for the FC planes.  If you used the above data you would create much better looking versions than my hacks, of course

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Antiqua is a wide area of fonts.

Just nitpicking on my side.

The Courier-style typewriter font you used is fine IMO, if you want something more specifically German you could replace it with an Olympia typeface such as this (it's from a decade later, but who cares?): https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/olympiafonts.html

What I see in contemporary technical documents is an unkerned, sans-seriffed 'modern' typeface, very close to Futura or Helvetica. (Basically it's the same as you find in blueprints produced with Rotring lettering/Schablonen.) If you can switch off kerning for these widely available font types, the result will be quite similar. Nonetheless, Arial is a close approximate, too.

Edited by sniperton

Posted (edited)

Contemporary nowadays or back then?

Mind you, fonts are really something that is pretty hard to describe with words.

When you say...

8 hours ago, sniperton said:

unkerned, sans-seriffed 'modern' typeface, very close to Futura or Helvetica

...and I'd go on the hunt for such, comparing the results would probably be very surprising.

Switching off kerning typically results in some butt-ugly mess of letter spacing, so that's not an option IMHO.

If a font shall have no kerning, it must come along so.

Same if a font shall be monospaced, it must come along so.

I'll give Olympia a try and see how it looks like.

If you want any other font: Direct link to the font download please, anything else is just chit-chat.

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Contemporary nowadays or back then?

Mind you, fonts are really something that is pretty hard to describe with words.

Sorry about the confusion. I meant pilot's manuals and instrument panels.

Apart from monospaced Typewriter fonts, you may need a minimalist, 'geometric modernist' typeface (with sloped roman letters instead of true italics) such as DIN 1451. Microsoft's font family "Bahnschrift" is based on that. Look for it in your favourite MS Word application. :drink2:

Buchstaben Schablonen  Nestler. Rotring,

Edited by sniperton

No I'm not gonna do this.

Let me tell you why:

You might think it's just about replacing one font with another, but it's much more.

All elements on each and every pilot's note for each and every aircraft in each and every favour shipped with this mod have to be re-aligned both vertically and horizontally once you touch the font.

I'm not gonna do all this work for a font that looks as Scheiße and as misplaced for this mod like "Bahnschrift".

Seriously: No, no and once again: No.

Mike

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike, I did not request any change, nor even suggested any, just tried to answer to your question. And I completely agree that the work involded in changing the font type is huge and wouldn't be worth the fuss even if you liked the result. :salute:

• Thanks 1

Okay thanks, that's understood.

Sorry for mistaking your previous reply for a request:blush:

Mike

Version 1.02 has been uploaded at SAS, see 1st post for link.

Changes:

• FC Plane Notes added, special thanks to @Charlo-VR for providing his personal notes where these ones are based upon!

Mike

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Version 1.02 has been uploaded at SAS, see 1st post for link.

Changes:

• FC Plane Notes added, special thanks to @Charlo-VR for providing his personal notes where these ones are based upon!

Mike

Thank you very much, Mike - they look great!  🍺

FYI, and guided by @Oliver88 , I just posted the below possible bug report that the stock cockpit photo does not appear in my install's Camel or Pfalz.  This also means your Pilot Notes in those two planes may also not display.  If that's the case, we have to wait for the devs to address that.  If you or others are able to see either the stock cockpit photo or your Pilot Note in the Camel or Pfalz, then I will need to fix my install of IL-2.  And yes, I made sure the "Photo" option is enabled when setting up each plane 🤓

On 5/30/2020 at 2:34 AM, JG4_dingsda said:

Thx, @SAS_Storebror for this very helpful mod. :)

As a suggestion for improvement:

To start the HS 129 from parking, the mixture has to be operated manually. Otherwise the lever will remain in 'Stop' position and the engine will die.

This is not mentioned in the official Aircraft Flight and Technical Specifications and Operational Details either.

:salute:

I think you will see that many aircraft are this way now after one of the recent updates.  

Thank you very munch.

This is going to be a great help to my aging memory...

GIF by PopJam

WHEN THANK YOU JUST DOESN'T SEEM ENOUGH :thank_you: